Options

Can We Give Lightning Bolt The Love It Deserves?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Binaural is way overrated IMO.  If the Binaural-era songs from Lost Dogs were on there replacing some of the weaker tracks, it would've been fantastic.

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Live Lightning Bolt is better than studio Lightning Bolt.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,584
    edited November 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Binaural is waaaaaaay overrated.  The cool fans seem to put this one and riot act on some sort of pedestal for some reason.  Even mike admitted in pj20 that fans started to not like them as much when binaural came out.  Riot act was an even bigger flop, so many unsold tickets that tour (outside the northeast).  
    Self titled was a nice comeback (no pun intended) and a very fun tour.  
    Thank you for the compliment! I always wanted to be cool. :lol: I definitely do think it's pretty cool not to judge music based on mass appeal. It's only uncool to not like music based on mass appeal. ;)
    BTW, Jeff said that Binaural is his favorite PJ album. He's pretty cool too, lol.
    Ally you are the coolest 42 year old I know from Vancouver.  
    I turned 43 in the spring. :cry: Not cool at all!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ten zten z Posts: 55
    Just listened to Lightning Bolt again front to back.  I like Getaway, MYM, SBM, and Future Days and I love Sirens, but the rest of the album just doesn't do it for me.
    PJ Shows I have attended:
    May 15, 2010 Hartford, CT 
    October 12, 2013 Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,658
    Lightning bolt is not a good album, and PJ hasnt put out a good album since 2006...and even that wasnt anything amazing. I dont expect gigaton to be very good either, but im excited to hear it cause i love PJ. Im bitter cause I got shut out of denver today and just realized i had to sign up by the 15th for the next presale. Fail. I stand by what i said though.
  • Options
    JC29866JC29866 Chicago Posts: 81
    Sometimes I’ll listen to Lightning Bolt while mowing my grass, but in no way does it deserve any love.  True Love is reserved for the “lightning in a bottle” albums, such as Ten, Yield and Vitalogy;  not for Lightning Bolt, an overproduced, underperformed D.O.A. release with zero energy, and contrived songwriting.  Pendulum and Getaway rising above the rest, such as the Bon Jovi-inspired Sirens, and Christina Aguilera knockoff, Infallible. 
  • Options
    JC29866JC29866 Chicago Posts: 81
    And as far as Mankind goes...
    it was never anyone’s favorite song.  But No Code should be heard as a snapshot in time, capturing a unique moment in the band’s history. In that context, the song works when listening to the album as a whole. 
  • Options
    rvapetervapete Posts: 488
    Nope. LB is just in front of Backspacer at the end of the queue
  • Options
    ^^agreed its not good
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    alex_scalex_sc Posts: 116
    I like Getaway and Pendulum but not much else on LB. Let the Records Play makes me want to jam pencils in my ears. Never really think about the album anymore tbh. Gigaton has a pretty low bar to clear at this point (for me, at least).
    Philly 05 ~ Camden I 06 ~ DC 06 ~ Columbia 08 ~ Va. Beach 08 ~ Camden I 08 ~ Atlanta 12 ~ Charlotte 13 ~ Columbia 16
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 901
    I expect gigaton to be along the same lines as lightning bolt. Sitting somewhere near the bottom of the album pack. 
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Live Lightning Bolt is better than studio Lightning Bolt.
    Most definitely. That was a killer Tour. My favorite since Binaural -  I generally like the live stuff better.  As far as albums go - Ten - Lost Dogs are all phenomenal and the 3 since have been way better live. They're too inconsistent/incomplete as a whole compared to the albums between '91-'03. I know Lost Dogs is technically a compilation, but it is a REALLY strong group of songs. 

"It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    No
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I just don’t hear what you guys are hearing. Besides Sleeping By Myself, I love Lightning Bolt. Not a fan of Backspacer. Too each their own. I’m too deep inside my depression to really give a fuck at all about anything Pearl Jam related after being shut out of all 4 shows I put in for. Really questioning my outlook on what the future holds for me and this band. I will always love the music but ......
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.