Options

Can We Give Lightning Bolt The Love It Deserves?

Comments

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,889
    edited November 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    Lighting bolt the song is amazing live.  
    And you say You Are is cheesy..?
    Im with you  s.c 
    God live lightening bolt bores me. 
    You  are blew me away live
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    edited November 2019
    Lightning Bolt is to Unthought Known

What Tomorrow and Tonight is to Rock and Roll All Nite

And Tomorrow and Tonight was written to be a new Rock and Roll All Nite.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,841
    edited November 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    Lighting bolt the song is amazing live.  
    And you say You Are is cheesy..?
    Im with you  s.c 
    God live lightening bolt bores me. 
    You  are blew me away live
    Lb and unthought known live is so good!!!! You are is great for a beer or merch run.  
    Overall I enjoy the album.   
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Lightning Bolt is a quality album. Lower half of my favorites, but I enjoy listening to it all the way through. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,909
    I quite enjoy album. Maybe a little disappointed with the way it finishes Yellow, SBM and future days. However I do like yellow moon. It’s more the sequence at the end. And I’m squarely in the ‘should’ve kept SBM off the album’ group!! What were they thinking!! ?? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I love how the "hard core" fans here are clamoring for a new album, new music, new stuff, new, new, new....but they dislike everything that is put out.

First Five will never be topped by this band.  The rest?  Some is amazing, some good, a few stinkers.

It is what it is.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I love how the "hard core" fans here are clamoring for a new album, new music, new stuff, new, new, new....but they dislike everything that is put out.

First Five will never be topped by this band.  The rest?  Some is amazing, some good, a few stinkers.

It is what it is.
    Probably not one and the same people.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Could be. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    I love LB- Pendulum and Yellow Moon are two of my favorite PJ tracks
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 897
    Pendulum and Infallible are favs. Love Lightning Bolt the song, live and studio. Mankind rocks too. No Code is perfectly weird.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    hrd2imgn said:
    I love LB- Pendulum and Yellow Moon are two of my favorite PJ tracks
    Image result for kermit clapping gif
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    great tracks. Infallible is my favorite but IMO they are all great except Sleeping by Myself. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    great tracks. Infallible is my favorite but IMO they are all great except Sleeping by Myself. 
    That is one of those BoB arguments that the band did not win.  I can't understand why that song was on the record having already been released on Uke songs.  It just doesn't help the flow at all.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    they still play sleeping by myself live pretty often so I think the band is on board with it.
  • Options
    they still play sleeping by myself live pretty often so I think the band is on board with it.
    Also known as the worst Pearl Jam song ever recorded. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532

It almost makes you not believe in evolution and survival of the fittest.  Things are supposed to get better with time. 

Like with family, you have to take the good with the bad with Pearl Jam.  Overall so much good it is worth letting the few duds go.  

• Options
    That award goes to Mankind, The Whale Song, Black Red Yellow, Last Kiss, 80% of Backspacer. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    One fans trash is another fans treasure...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    I wouldn't call it a bad album.  But then, I don't refer to any music as "bad".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Of course the band is on board with it, not like he put it on the album with out them knowing, I am just saying it has the "poppier" renderings of Brendan, and I have to find the article, because I know it exists where he labels it as his favorite track on the record.  

Brendan is a great producer, particularly for this band, he has been instrumental in a lot of their decisions and output.  He just does some things I don't particularly care for.  There is a contrast in vibe and song theme that can work at times, like a somber contemplative song having a subtler poppier lean, I just don't think that works with SBM nor similarly Speed of Sound off BS.  

• Options
    That award goes to Mankind, The Whale Song, Black Red Yellow, Last Kiss, 80% of Backspacer. 
    Image result for wrong gif

• Options
    PB11041 said:

Brendan is a great producer, particularly for this band, he has been instrumental in a lot of their decisions and output.  

Is there really any real proof of this? 

Would Michael Beinhorn have made Yield worse?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PB11041 said:

Brendan is a great producer, particularly for this band, he has been instrumental in a lot of their decisions and output.  

I think it is plainly evident that the amount of work they have done together shows that as a unit they all work well together.  Bands rarely work with such frequency with a single producer, often hunting for a producer to "change" or "evolve" their sound.  

Considering the bands head space when they first met O'Brien in 1992, it seems unlikely that they would have had him produce 60% of their catalog and come in to help mix and piece together part of another record.

So mostly I am defaulting to the output and the band themselves in how they have expressed their working with him over the years.  

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    edited November 2019
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:

I think it is plainly evident that the amount of work they have done together shows that as a unit they all work well together.  Bands rarely work with such frequency with a single producer, often hunting for a producer to "change" or "evolve" their sound.  

Considering the bands head space when they first met O'Brien in 1992, it seems unlikely that they would have had him produce 60% of their catalog and come in to help mix and piece together part of another record.

So mostly I am defaulting to the output and the band themselves in how they have expressed their working with him over the years.  
    I think it's pretty evident they stick with people that they are comfortable with, and masterpiece-quality-making not always being the main reason for it.

So they might work "well together" as in it being comfortable, but the output might have lost some edge in the process. Like bringing back Sean Connery for Diamonds Are Forever. Or like a post 2003 Ames poster.

I wouldn't risk the 90's albums on a what if twilight zone alternative reality, where they went with Michael Beinhorn, Dave Jerden and Rick Rubin instead. 

But I don't think it have to have been particularly them keeping with Brendan O'Brien that made those albums as good as they are.

Also, some songs could have been GIGANTIC Ten-era hits (like e.g. Given To Fly) with the help of another producer pushing creatively on some other buttons. (together obviously with luck, the PR strategy etc). And Sleeping by Myself (band version with Matts upbeat drums) and Speed of Sound (band version) could have been better.

What I'm saying is, I'm not slagging off BoB - but at the same time I'm not a fatalist and PJ sticking with someone is not "evidence" that, that yields the best "objective" results. 

I mean, Metallica sticks with Lars Ulrich.

And Riot Act is their best sounding album, produced by Adam Kasper.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    But as Lars Von Trier so famously signed off with

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,883
    I love Lightning Bolt. There will inevitably be people hating on the next album, as well.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited November 2019
    All Pearl Jam records are good, IMO, and LB is not at the bottom.  
    Love it   I know it is cool here to dump on it.
    (I do not like Yellow Moon, though.  At all.)
    It's not cool to hate an album from a band that I love. I WISH I liked LB. But I don't, because it's bad (also, I think most people here are way beyond the age to be saying stuff they don't actually feel just because they think it's cool, haha).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited November 2019

It is what it is.
    I think the first five are topped by Binaural and Riot Act.
    Me... I'm not clamouring for a new album really because I'm scared of a new album, lol. I'm worried that it will be as bad as BS and LB. I do hold onto hope though, that they will come out the other side of their slump. That is the hope that makes me anticipate the next one... I am prepared to be disappointed though.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,742
    Getaway and Pendulum are top songs from the last 20 years imo. Lightning Bolt is great live but not a huge fan of the studio version. Infallible Swallowed Hole and Yellow Moon are good too. The rest is just ok for me. 
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    I would rank LB only above Backspacer on my album list.   I really didn't like Riot Act for about 10 years after it's release but love it now.   LB doesn't even come close to RA.   IMO.   It's all subjective.   
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste