Options

Can We Give Lightning Bolt The Love It Deserves?

Comments

• Options
    Vs. 
    No Code- would be #1 if not for Mankind
    Yield
    Vitalogy
    Lightning Bolt
    Ten- probably just burn out. Its how I feel today. 
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Self Titled
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    Backspacer

This list probably changes daily except Backspacer is always at the very bottom. 

Lightning Bolt ahead of Ten, eh?

what are you going to say next, VHS ahead of Blu-ray? 8 track over FLAC? I mean liking LB is fine, but this opinion just comes off as being a dissenter.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Binaural is waaaaaaay overrated.  The cool fans seem to put this one and riot act on some sort of pedestal for some reason.  Even mike admitted in pj20 that fans started to not like them as much when binaural came out.  Riot act was an even bigger flop, so many unsold tickets that tour (outside the northeast).  
    Self titled was a nice comeback (no pun intended) and a very fun tour.  
    I agree with all of this, mcgruff10. Binaural and Riot Act overrated; self-titled pretty badly underrated.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,494
    Binaural is way overrated IMO.  If the Binaural-era songs from Lost Dogs were on there replacing some of the weaker tracks, it would've been fantastic.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,898
    Man, it would really suck if you were a band member and worked your butt off to put out an album that you think is great and then all the bitching begins. It's no wonder they are taking longer to release stuff. I'm not saying people shouldn't have their opinions, but musicians are people and people change, so don't expect another "fill in the blank with your favorite PJ album". To me, LB makes perfect sense for the place they are in their lives. Maybe I can relate because of my own age, but even a song like "Sirens", even though a bit sappy, is still a great song. I enjoy all of their albums for different reasons, though I do understand why someone might feel differently.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,771
    It is all about where your headspace is/was at the time.  I think this is particularly true for fans who came to know the band from 1991-92 era when they first encountered Ten.   But it obviously holds true for younger fans too. If you came of age when Self Titled was released and that was more or less your first fresh PJ experience, well.   For fans of the band since Ten era, there are elements of Self Titled that harken back to the first experience listening to them.

I get why people don't like Binaural or Riot Act.  I fundamentally disagree, particularly on Binaural, but I get it.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    Man, it would really suck if you were a band member and worked your butt off to put out an album that you think is great and then all the bitching begins. It's no wonder they are taking longer to release stuff. I'm not saying people shouldn't have their opinions, but musicians are people and people change, so don't expect another "fill in the blank with your favorite PJ album". To me, LB makes perfect sense for the place they are in their lives. Maybe I can relate because of my own age, but even a song like "Sirens", even though a bit sappy, is still a great song. I enjoy all of their albums for different reasons, though I do understand why someone might feel differently.
    there is nothing wrong with criticizing or debating art. man, if you think the guys in this band really give two fucks about what we say.....I mean, I was in a band that wrote songs...we released one EP, one of my coworkers said she didn't like my voice because I "sounded too much like that pearl jam guy" (which only bothered me slightly because I honestly don't think I sound like Ed at ALL, and she may have only said that because of my well known appreciation of PJ), another one said "meh, I'm a lyrics guy, these lyrics didn't do it for me". Others praised it. I honestly didn't care either way. art is totally subjective. the important part was that I liked it. I didn't care what anyone else thought about it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I do like Binaural. I just think it’s overrated by many on this board. Riot Act, I’m still not a big fan, even after 16 years; although there are some songs on the album I love.
  • Options
    I do like Binaural. I just think it’s overrated by many on this board. Riot Act, I’m still not a big fan, even after 16 years; although there are some songs on the album I love.
    I have a theory that it is so revered around here because it was so ignored by the band for so long. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    There are some strong songs on Lighting Bolt.....MYM, Infallible, Pendulum, Yellow Moon, but it just doesn't come together as an album for me.   It does show the bands range pretty well though in the different styles and influences.
    you're god and you've got big hands
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Vs. 
    Yield
    Vitalogy
    Lightning Bolt
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Self Titled
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    Backspacer

This list probably changes daily except Backspacer is always at the very bottom. 

what are you going to say next, VHS ahead of Blu-ray? 8 track over FLAC? I mean liking LB is fine, but this opinion just comes off as being a dissenter.
    Eh, I get it.  I don't think it's dissension for the sake of dissension.  Like he said, probably just burnt out.  Any time I ask the few Pearl Jam fans I know what they want to listen to, it's always Ten.  It's like no one has heard anything else from their expansive catalog.  I can't rank one album ahead of the other because they are completely different animals, but I will say the number of times I've listened to Lightning Bolt in the last 6 years greatly outweighs the number of times I've listened to Ten in the last 20 years.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,075
    I like Lightning Bolt.  It still ranks towards the bottom of the catalogue for me with Backspacer but I like them both.  It has some amazing PJ songs.  Pendulum has become one of my favorites.  Mind Your Manners is fucking awesome too.  It does have some songs that dont quite do it for me like SBM and Future Days but it also has several great songs.  Getaway, Yellow Moon and LB are all songs I really enjoy too.

Binaural is one of PJ's best albums IMO.  (nothing has topped No Code)
  • Options
    Vs. 
    Yield
    Vitalogy
    Lightning Bolt
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Self Titled
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    Backspacer

Ten is a masterpiece. One of the best albums of all time. But my list goes on what I would listen to first to last. I’ve heard Ten so many times that the magic has worn off. If I never heard Even Flow or Alive again I could still die happy. Well I’m not a happy person but you get what I mean. Tuna sandwiches are awesome but I don’t want one every day. IMO all the albums are strong. The first 5 are fucking unreal. Mankind was the big fuckup but nobody’s perfect. The only album I probably would never listen to from front to back again is Backspacer. Still own the vinyl to complete the collection and love some songs on it but as a whole. I’m good. Next please. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    mankind would be great if ed were singing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The whole point of mankind is Stone singing mocking the Ed imitation machine that the record suits were trying to reproduce. 

• Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited November 2019
    I have no problem with Stone singing. It’s just the song is nonsense. It’s a horrible song that seems like a joke. That record is way too good to have such a bad song in for whatever reason. Have Stone sing something good and I’m in. Nonsense. 👎🏽🤮
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    It's nonsense if you don't get the premise.  It's genius if you accept the premise. 

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    It's nonsense if you don't get the premise.  It's genius if you accept the premise. 
    Naw
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Love mankind! It's a fun song and I like the lyrics
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    The whole point of mankind is Stone singing mocking the Ed imitation machine that the record suits were trying to reproduce. 
    news to me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    there is nothing wrong with criticizing or debating art. man, if you think the guys in this band really give two fucks about what we say.....I mean, I was in a band that wrote songs...we released one EP, one of my coworkers said she didn't like my voice because I "sounded too much like that pearl jam guy" (which only bothered me slightly because I honestly don't think I sound like Ed at ALL, and she may have only said that because of my well known appreciation of PJ), another one said "meh, I'm a lyrics guy, these lyrics didn't do it for me". Others praised it. I honestly didn't care either way. art is totally subjective. the important part was that I liked it. I didn't care what anyone else thought about it. 
    If you read what I wrote, I fully believe people should discuss art. I'm just saying if you're expecting another version of an album you like, then you will most likely be disappointed. Also, your co-workers sound like dicks.  ;)
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    If you read what I wrote, I fully believe people should discuss art. I'm just saying if you're expecting another version of an album you like, then you will most likely be disappointed. Also, your co-workers sound like dicks.  ;)
    haha, nah, I appreciated the honesty. yeah, I read what you wrote, I was mainly addressing your first point, which seemed to contradict your second point. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    One fans trash is another fans treasure...
    Some people eat dandelion greens, think their yellow flowers are beautiful and enjoy blowing the seeds from the puff ball and watching them delicately float in the wind.....

I think dandelion's are annoying f-ing weeds
  • Options
    I would rank LB only above Backspacer on my album list.   I really didn't like Riot Act for about 10 years after it's release but love it now.   LB doesn't even come close to RA.   IMO.   It's all subjective.   
    By your own admission, don't you think we should wait until 2023 for you to deliver your opinion on LB?  :)  I fully anticipate an undying love for that album will descend upon you right about then.....
  • Options
    Get out of any band that has a member who refers to Eddie Vedder as "that Pearl Jam guy".....or maybe she thought you sounded like Jeff Ament....if that is the case, I can understand her not loving your voice sounding like "that (other) Pearl Jam guy."
  • Options
    haha, nah, I appreciated the honesty. yeah, I read what you wrote, I was mainly addressing your first point, which seemed to contradict your second point. 
     I would normally just say, "It's not really my thing." I also play, so if someone I knew said that to me, I would tell them what I thought of them. I guess I should probably not ask. Good luck with your music! =)
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    Get out of any band that has a member who refers to Eddie Vedder as "that Pearl Jam guy".....or maybe she thought you sounded like Jeff Ament....if that is the case, I can understand her not loving your voice sounding like "that (other) Pearl Jam guy."
    it was a coworker, not a band member. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    That's funny....I presumed the band was your "job" and you were derogatorily were referring to her as your "coworker" as opposed to a band member....now that I understand the relationship, tell all the naysayers to get their ass on a stage or in front of a mic themselves....see how they sound....
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    news to me. 
    *lots of allusion and double entendre going on in this song

You'll be...going out with radio...
    Going out with disco...going out like bacchanal...

(desire to be on radio, the radio being fickle, disco being a fad, fading away, bacchanal being the direct meaning of drunken debauchery as well the Club in San Diego  where Ed frequented and Stone Temple Pilots claimed to have a residency at which was a bit of an exaggeration)

It's all just inadvertent imitation and I don't mean mine
    It's all across this nation...

(the similarities are just coincidence between singer x, y, and z to vocalist a, b, c)

then there is more in terms of fads, gimicks, etc - listerine, ovaltine, battleship I take as a reference to the board game, all things that had come and gone in the days of their youth, it is allegory, story telling, they are meant to be stretches and not directly referencing bands or singers that they found to be comically mimicking not just Ed, but Layne and Chris as opposed to finding their own self.

That is just my take.  It is how stone writes his lyrics, Thin Air, Fatal, etc, his solo stuff, its sounds like gibberish and he being the cynical sarcastic type he is just is like, yeah its gibberish. 

If people dont own Bayleaf, get it.  Stone does some great shit on that record.

• Options
    That's funny....I presumed the band was your "job" and you were derogatorily were referring to her as your "coworker" as opposed to a band member....now that I understand the relationship, tell all the naysayers to get their ass on a stage or in front of a mic themselves....see how they sound....
    everyone is allowed an opinion. doesn't bother me. if a musician friend of mine asks for my opinion on a song/album they wrote, they know i'll be honest. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    news to me. 
    *lots of allusion and double entendre going on in this song

You'll be...going out with radio...
    Going out with disco...going out like bacchanal...

(desire to be on radio, the radio being fickle, disco being a fad, fading away, bacchanal being the direct meaning of drunken debauchery as well the Club in San Diego  where Ed frequented and Stone Temple Pilots claimed to have a residency at which was a bit of an exaggeration)

It's all just inadvertent imitation and I don't mean mine
    It's all across this nation...

(the similarities are just coincidence between singer x, y, and z to vocalist a, b, c)

then there is more in terms of fads, gimicks, etc - listerine, ovaltine, battleship I take as a reference to the board game, all things that had come and gone in the days of their youth, it is allegory, story telling, they are meant to be stretches and not directly referencing bands or singers that they found to be comically mimicking not just Ed, but Layne and Chris as opposed to finding their own self.

That is just my take.  It is how stone writes his lyrics, Thin Air, Fatal, etc, his solo stuff, its sounds like gibberish and he being the cynical sarcastic type he is just is like, yeah its gibberish. 

If people dont own Bayleaf, get it.  Stone does some great shit on that record.
    That is an excellent analysis.  So glad I've got to see/hear this one live!