Options

Can We Give Lightning Bolt The Love It Deserves?

Comments

• Options
    I just  listened to riot act all the way through. 
    Its very great..
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    1. Ten
    2. VS
    3. Riot Act
    4. Vitalogy
    5. Yield
    6. Binaural
    7. No Code
    8. Pearl Jam
    9. Lightning Bolt
    10. Backspacer.

FIGHT ME

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Damn close to mine. If not the same really
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited November 2019
    I can give the album credit for two things....

1) I like two or three of the songs on it. 

2) It got the band to go on tour. 

That's all I ask for at this point: a song or two that I like, and a tour. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    It's got maybe 4 songs that I would care to hear live during the next tour cycle.  And that's probably the lowest number from all the albums.  So no, I can't give LB the love it deserves.  
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,772
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:

Brendan is a great producer, particularly for this band, he has been instrumental in a lot of their decisions and output.  

Is there really any real proof of this? 

Would Michael Beinhorn have made Yield worse?
    I think it is plainly evident that the amount of work they have done together shows that as a unit they all work well together.  Bands rarely work with such frequency with a single producer, often hunting for a producer to "change" or "evolve" their sound.  

Considering the bands head space when they first met O'Brien in 1992, it seems unlikely that they would have had him produce 60% of their catalog and come in to help mix and piece together part of another record.

So mostly I am defaulting to the output and the band themselves in how they have expressed their working with him over the years.  
    I think it's pretty evident they stick with people that they are comfortable with, and masterpiece-quality-making not always being the main reason for it.

So they might work "well together" as in it being comfortable, but the output might have lost some edge in the process. Like bringing back Sean Connery for Diamonds Are Forever. Or like a post 2003 Ames poster.

I wouldn't risk the 90's albums on a what if twilight zone alternative reality, where they went with Michael Beinhorn, Dave Jerden and Rick Rubin instead. 

But I don't think it have to have been particularly them keeping with Brendan O'Brien that made those albums as good as they are.

Also, some songs could have been GIGANTIC Ten-era hits (like e.g. Given To Fly) with the help of another producer pushing creatively on some other buttons. (together obviously with luck, the PR strategy etc). And Sleeping by Myself (band version with Matts upbeat drums) and Speed of Sound (band version) could have been better.

What I'm saying is, I'm not slagging off BoB - but at the same time I'm not a fatalist and PJ sticking with someone is not "evidence" that, that yields the best "objective" results. 

I mean, Metallica sticks with Lars Ulrich.

And Riot Act is their best sounding album, produced by Adam Kasper.

Hard to define it as the output edge being correlated to the producer band relationship as opposed to a band just getting older and their personalities changing and evolving.    I like the audio vibes on Binaural and Riot Act much more but the direction of those records is a bit scrambled at times.  

Yield and Given to Fly could not have been bigger, the industry pendulum already swung all the way back it was a sea change in market dynamics, hard core fans and early stage nostalgia fans allowed that record and its corresponding back to normal touring tour survive a time when the world was pushing different strains of garbage music.  Jack Nitzche, George Martin and Prince could have collectively produced the record and it would not have changed that it was 1998.   I definitely think Yield could have had a markedly different sound and vibe considering where Binaural and Riot Act went.   

There's definitely things we could all find that would be better or more appealing to our personal preferences and ears, all I am saying is that collectively they get each other as a unit.  

Self Titled is the second worst sounding album, also produced by Adam Kasper.  And it seems like they had a ton of material for that record, the beginning half is remarkable but the sequencing of the record as a whole is puzzling.

I am not saying he is objectively the best, just that for their needs for their multi headed animal, he is a pretty good fit to their puzzle.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,772
    1. Ten
    2. VS
    3. Riot Act
    4. Vitalogy
    5. Yield
    6. Binaural
    7. No Code
    8. Pearl Jam
    9. Lightning Bolt
    10. Backspacer.

FIGHT ME

1. No Code
    2. Vitalogy
    3. Yield
    4. Ten
    5. Binaural
    6. Vs
    7. Lightning Bolt
    8. Riot Act
    9. Pearl Jam
    10. Backspacer
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    I love how the "hard core" fans here are clamoring for a new album, new music, new stuff, new, new, new....but they dislike everything that is put out.

First Five will never be topped by this band.  The rest?  Some is amazing, some good, a few stinkers.

It is what it is.
    Their 6th and 7th albums were masterpieces, just like the five before.The others contain some great and excellent material, but to me it feels like they were tryin to appeal to a wider audience with later albums, trading the creativity, moodiness and quirkiness of No Code, Binaural and Riot Act for many radio-friendly songs.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,907
    PB11041 said:
    1. Ten
    2. VS
    3. Riot Act
    4. Vitalogy
    5. Yield
    6. Binaural
    7. No Code
    8. Pearl Jam
    9. Lightning Bolt
    10. Backspacer.

FIGHT ME

1. No Code
    2. Vitalogy
    3. Yield
    4. Ten
    5. Binaural
    6. Vs
    7. Lightning Bolt
    8. Riot Act
    9. Pearl Jam
    10. Backspacer
    No code
    yield
    vs
    ten 
    vitalogy
    self titled 
    binaural
    backspacer
    lb
    riot act
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Vs. 
    No Code- would be #1 if not for Mankind
    Yield
    Vitalogy
    Lightning Bolt
    Ten- probably just burn out. Its how I feel today. 
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Self Titled
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    ⬇️
    Backspacer

This list probably changes daily except Backspacer is always at the very bottom. 

Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    edited November 2019
    1 No Code
    2 Vs - Ten - Vitalogy
    3 Binaural - Yield - Pearl Jam - Riot Act
    4 Lightning Bolt
    5 Backspacer
    2 - 3 too hard to place as they do move around. Can’t even make up my mind posting this 
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • Options
     =) 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
  • Options
    Pearl Jam does not have a bad album.
    That's true. Backspacer and LB are last on my list but that doesn't mean I don't like them
  • Options
    1. Ten
    2. VS
    3. Riot Act
    4. Vitalogy
    5. Yield
    6. Binaural
    7. No Code
    8. Pearl Jam
    9. Lightning Bolt
    10. Backspacer.

FIGHT ME

1. Yield
    2 (tie).  Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, No Code, Binaural, Riot Act, Pearl Jam, Backspacer, Lightning Bolt
  • Options
    1. Ten
    2. VS
    3. Riot Act
    4. Vitalogy
    5. Yield
    6. Binaural
    7. No Code
    8. Pearl Jam
    9. Lightning Bolt
    10. Backspacer.

FIGHT ME

1. Yield
    2 (tie).  Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, No Code, Binaural, Riot Act, Pearl Jam, Backspacer, Lightning Bolt
    Yield plus everything else in 2nd place? controversial ;)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    LB and BS have a handful of good songs each. Put them together and scrape away the filler, and you have one great record. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    1. Ten
    2. VS
    3. Riot Act
    4. Vitalogy
    5. Yield
    6. Binaural
    7. No Code
    8. Pearl Jam
    9. Lightning Bolt
    10. Backspacer.

FIGHT ME

1. Yield
    Yield plus everything else in 2nd place? controversial ;)
    At this point, they're really all kinda tied for 1st place. Yield just gets de facto because it had been my favorite album of theirs for so long.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
     Half of Binaural is not as good as Lightning Bolt. 
    Whoooosh! The sound of your credibility going out the window. To each his own, but Binaural was the last great PJ record from start to finish.
    Since then, each record has a couple great songs, a few good ones, and a few bad ones. Sirens, yellow moon, future days are like nails on the chalkboard to me.
  • Options
    Binaural? The first 3 songs are ehhhh. Couple of fillers. Nothing as it seems. Good but overrated. Is it a good album. Yes. But like what was said above. Pearl Jam doesn’t have a bad album. Bad songs. Yes. But their albums are more good songs than bad. 
  • Options
    Binaural is waaaaaaay overrated.  The cool fans seem to put this one and riot act on some sort of pedestal for some reason.  Even mike admitted in pj20 that fans started to not like them as much when binaural came out.  Riot act was an even bigger flop, so many unsold tickets that tour (outside the northeast).  
    Self titled was a nice comeback (no pun intended) and a very fun tour.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Binaural is waaaaaaay overrated.  The cool fans seem to put this one and riot act on some sort of pedestal for some reason.  Even mike admitted in pj20 that fans started to not like them as much when binaural came out.  Riot act was an even bigger flop, so many unsold tickets that tour (outside the northeast).  
    "the cool fans". I love binaural and riot act. am I a cool fan? :lol:

I don't worry too much about public opinion when it comes to music, so I'm not sure what the proves. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2019
    mcgruff10 said:

I don't worry too much about public opinion when it comes to music, so I'm not sure what the proves. 
    You are definitely not a cool fan. ;)
    toronto 2 was epic because they played binaural!  (Outside the 10c section everyone was bored as hell lol.). 
    People would just leave if they played riot act.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You are definitely not a cool fan. ;)
    toronto 2 was epic because they played binaural!  (Outside the 10c section everyone was bored as hell lol.). 
    People would just leave if they played riot act.  
    for sure. playing a full record as a surprise to 20,000 people is a massive gamble. most of the crowd wants the hits, not a full album and not The Whale Song. 

I'd be fucking ecstatic if I got a full record. I pulled the shit card in 2014 by going to one show (St Paul), and it was the only one sandwiched between two album shows. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,593
    edited November 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thank you for the compliment! I always wanted to be cool. :lol: I definitely do think it's pretty cool not to judge music based on mass appeal. It's only uncool to not like music based on mass appeal. ;)
    BTW, Jeff said that Binaural is his favorite PJ album. He's pretty cool too, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thank you for the compliment! I always wanted to be cool. :lol: I definitely do think it's pretty cool not to judge music based on mass appeal. It's only uncool to not like music based on mass appeal. ;)
    BTW, Jeff said that Binaural is his favorite PJ album. He's pretty cool too, lol.
    Ally you are the coolest 42 year old I know from Vancouver.  
  • Options
    VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 314
    I think albums should have 8-9 songs tops. All my favs seem to be in that zone. The cd age had artists writing to put out what used to be double album sized content with every release. That’s a lot to ask. Sabbath, zeppelin, Halen, Hendrix and so on, shorter track lists but more solid offerings than a lot of released material from the cd age.
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • Options
    Im fuckin cool.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

• Options
    Im fuckin cool.
    Very debatable