Swiss Chalet : Canadian food :: Applebee's : American food
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    PJNB said: 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Any good pizza or local craft beer to be found in Quebec City? I ll have no car and staying in old town. 

Try out this slop. I heard its pretty good. 

Not sure what style you like for pizza but check this list out. Something in there for everyone. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g155033-c31-Quebec_City_Quebec.html

Da heck is that?! I asked about pizza, not throw up.  
    lol I thought the same thing that doesn’t look like any pizza I’m used too! 
    Damn Canadians don't know the difference between throw up and pizza.  
    lmao but they do know good beer we have to give them that no ..

Happy? lol

Mother of God there's a poutine pizza?  :o

Any of you guys tried Pictou County pizza? Sam's Greek Pizza sauce is amazing!! 
    It's the best!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,090
    foodboy said:
    i went to quebec city last tour. i live in canada and speak very very little french. it is no problem there as it is a very big tourist town, so most will speak english to you without being offended . in montreal it is different. 
    I had the opposite experience in montreal. not one person had an issue with speaking english to us. interesting. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,510
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,090
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited January 2020
    We can’t talk about bourbon but it’s okay to talk about beer.....
  • Options
    Original_ShiftyOriginal_Shifty Great White North Posts: 291
    Forget all this Swiss Chalet business. When in Quebec you do St. Hubert.

You don't need to know French in Quebec City, but you may get worse service. If you "try" they will appreciate that, know you speak horrible French, and then speak English with you.
    2011: Vancouver
    2013: LA 1 & LA 2, Vancouver
    2018: Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    2022: LA 1 & LA 2
    2024: Vancouver 1 & Vancouver 2, Portland, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • Options
    VG194499 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Any good pizza or local craft beer to be found in Quebec City? I ll have no car and staying in old town. 

Try out this slop. I heard its pretty good. 

Not sure what style you like for pizza but check this list out. Something in there for everyone. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g155033-c31-Quebec_City_Quebec.html

We stopped at a Swiss Chalet in Canada and the gravy they served with the fries was pretty average.  I love the idea of cheese on fries but I don't care for gravy.

Swiss Chalet? You had something at Swiss Chalet and now are proclaiming not to like it.
    Swiss Chalet is not good.

I listened to this album by Nickleback and now I hate all rock music.
    lol, yes, your not getting anything authentic from Swiss Chalet. Awful place.
    "This melody, inside of me, still searches for a solution."
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wait till everyone starts asking...."what's the best craft beer in San Diego?" #CraftBeerCapital
    Love me some ballast point sculpin.
    you like the one that's most popular...need to try the smaller breweries! ike this one for example....
    Wait do people still drink Ballast Point?
    Small, local breweries are always the way to go.
    Like this one...

You guys want a good wtf business story?

Four years ago Ballast Point, which was at the time a "local" San Diego brewery with a huge reputation based on the immense popularity of its' flagship beer Sculpin IPA, was sold to the huge liquor conglomerate Constellation Brands for $1 Billion....yes, $1 Billion dollars (actually $952 Million--but $1 Billion sounds better.  As we beer consumers know, Sculpin was revered....for a while.  But the fickle taste buds of beer drinkers (cue Hazy beers as the booze du jour) moved on....while Sculpin still exists, as does Ballast Point Brewing, they have floated down to a regular old sold at supermarkets (at least on the West Coast) beer.

In December a small Highwood, Illinois brewery called Kings & Convicts bought Ballast Point from Constellation Brands for....get ready for it and remember Constellation bought it for (nearly) $1 Billion.....ready?  ready? Somewhere between $50 and $60 million--a $900 million dollar loss to Constellation.  As I understand it from an "insider", no one at Constellation lost their job over this cluster "f".  You know who I wish I was? The original owner(s) of Ballast Point...that's who.
  • Options
    jdizzle8291jdizzle8291 Erie, PA Posts: 456
    PJNB said:

Although the poutine is fantastic and I can confirm the existence of various delicious craft beers in Québec City, I wouldn't be shy to try other delicious foods there...Chez Boulay, Clocher Pencher, ect... all kinds of good stuff there. 

Edit: Amazing pizza: "Nina Pizza"

Great advice! Can't wait until we can get some city specific threads up and hear all the great ideas. 
    For what? Is there a tour or something?

2016: Toronto I, Chicago I + II
    2018: Seattle I + II, Chicago I + II
    2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec, Hamilton, Nashville, St. Louis, Krakow, Budapest, Zurich
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wait till everyone starts asking...."what's the best craft beer in San Diego?" #CraftBeerCapital
    you like the one that's most popular...need to try the smaller breweries! ike this one for example....
    Like this one...

Four years ago Ballast Point, which was at the time a "local" San Diego brewery with a huge reputation based on the immense popularity of its' flagship beer Sculpin IPA, was sold to the huge liquor conglomerate Constellation Brands for $1 Billion....yes, $1 Billion dollars (actually $952 Million--but $1 Billion sounds better.  As we beer consumers know, Sculpin was revered....for a while.  But the fickle taste buds of beer drinkers (cue Hazy beers as the booze du jour) moved on....while Sculpin still exists, as does Ballast Point Brewing, they have floated down to a regular old sold at supermarkets (at least on the West Coast) beer.

In December a small Highwood, Illinois brewery called Kings & Convicts bought Ballast Point from Constellation Brands for....get ready for it and remember Constellation bought it for (nearly) $1 Billion.....ready?  ready? Somewhere between $50 and $60 million--a $900 million dollar loss to Constellation.  As I understand it from an "insider", no one at Constellation lost their job over this cluster "f".  You know who I wish I was? The original owner(s) of Ballast Point...that's who.
    yep.....Constellation could afford the gamble...and yes, people here in SD still drink Ballast Point. I laugh at the current trend of White Claw, etc...they are all too young to remember we went through this with Zima in the early-mid 90s.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like this one...

yep.....Constellation could afford the gamble...and yes, people here in SD still drink Ballast Point. I laugh at the current trend of White Claw, etc...they are all too young to remember we went through this with Zima in the early-mid 90s.
    White Claw<Zima....
    Ballast Point is still a good beer--just not otherworldly as it was being portrayed 4 years ago.  Love their restaurant/brewery east of UCSD...killer building  out in the middle of a business park.....good food and good beer...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like this one...

Crazy I know but @bbiggs still drinks zima. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,800
    foodboy said:
    i went to quebec city last tour. i live in canada and speak very very little french. it is no problem there as it is a very big tourist town, so most will speak english to you without being offended . in montreal it is different. 
    I had the opposite experience in montreal. not one person had an issue with speaking english to us. interesting. 
    I've never had an issue in Montreal, completely friendly.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like this one...

White Claw<Zima....
    Ballast Point is still a good beer--just not otherworldly as it was being portrayed 4 years ago.  Love their restaurant/brewery east of UCSD...killer building  out in the middle of a business park.....good food and good beer...
    Stone at Liberty Station is nice too....
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,045
    PJNB said:

Although the poutine is fantastic and I can confirm the existence of various delicious craft beers in Québec City, I wouldn't be shy to try other delicious foods there...Chez Boulay, Clocher Pencher, ect... all kinds of good stuff there. 

Edit: Amazing pizza: "Nina Pizza"

Great advice! Can't wait until we can get some city specific threads up and hear all the great ideas. 
    For what? Is there a tour or something?

Fall with a new album I heard!
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,973
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like this one...

White Claw<Zima....
    When you need a great cocktail try out False Idol in SD. Great bar. https://www.yelp.com/biz/false-idol-san-diego
    What was this thread about again?
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like this one...

White Claw<Zima....
    When you need a great cocktail try out False Idol in SD. Great bar. https://www.yelp.com/biz/false-idol-san-diego
    Killing time......that's what...
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,374
    dlymnfld said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    I will not get my hopes up for a Boston Calling show...
    RATM has a better chance than PJ does. No way PJ is playing there. 
    Rage is the odds on favorite from reading the forum but they are also the same genre as the other 90’s bands. 
    They had poor ticket sales last year so I think they're just trying to lock in solid headliners regardless of genre and will mix up the genres with the lower tiered acts.
    Add in Morello being a Harvard alum and that's where you get all the Rage speculation.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,132
    I'll put this in SAT terms so Americans can understand:

Swiss Chalet : Canadian food :: Applebee's : American food
    We drove from Detroit to London and then on to Toronto and back.  We were amazed at how many of those places we drove by.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like this one...

White Claw<Zima....
    At this point....it is absolutely about keeping our sanity as we wait...and wait...and wait to find out that either a killer Spring Tour is about to kick off or that Dimi is a gigantic fib-machine...at which point the forum followers will look like this:
    Image result for angry masses
  • Options
    lol, Ballast Point was pretty much the only beer available at Ohana in '18. $14 if I remember.
  • Options
    lol, Ballast Point was pretty much the only beer available at Ohana in '18. $14 if I remember.
    And then it wasn't available there in 2019
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    My wife just informed me she wants to make Quebec City a family trip.  So now I have to grab a couple more passport cards and will need to grab a couple public sale tickets.  The things we do!!!!  =)=)
    We did this in 2011 for Toronto and also stayed overnight at Niagara Falls to do all the tourist stuff.  I’d love to make a trip to Quebec but I’m nervous that an early spring snowstorm might make driving very tough.  Anyone know the odds of a blizzard in late March? 
    It's an absolute X-factor.  And I'm terrified of not only losing money on tickets, but also an airbnb/hotel.  But there's no way my wife will even let me attempt to have a go at it if there is bad weather in the forecast.  Just have to pray to whatever God controls the weather that we'll be good.  
    I drive over 10,000 miles per winter on Quebec roads. Never had to cancelled any travel plans. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 686
    Anybody have good craft gose recommendations in SD, LA or Oakland ?
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,524
    PeterED said:
    duffmann said:
    Pretty new to the Ten Club unfortunately, so I have a (stupid?) question.  If I were to put in for only one show, what gives me a better chance at tickets...  GS or Reserved as my first choice?

It depends on the odds, but go with reserved as your first choice for a better chance...
    Really? Why? There are far few reserved seats for 10C than GA.

The 10C gets more reserved seats for U.S. arenas than for Europe.  The 10C GA area is smaller than the Euro GA area as well, typically.   There is a ton of demand for GA, and a ton of demand in the US, so GA odds usually go way down first. 

My one and only experience with the 10C lottery came with the Oakland show in 2013. I put reserved as my first choice, GA second. The show was scheduled for two days before Thanksgiving. Demand (the odds) for this show was not high, iirc. They denied my first choice and gave me GA. The only justification for this I could think of is they have an obligation to fill the GA section first. If the show is not high demand, they will fill GA first and then reserved. So, if you only want reserved, only put reserved. If you don't care and just want tickets, then put in for both.
  • Options
    YAKIMATSU said:
    Anybody have good craft gose recommendations in SD, LA or Oakland ?
    Saint Archer or Mikkeller in SD
  • Options
    And then it wasn't available there in 2019
    Yeah, I can't remember what it was this last time.

My Montreal experience (1993)

-Will absolutely accomodate your lack of French in a bar or strip club.

-Will accomodate, but look down the nose at your lack of French in a place where you've demonstrated you can afford it, but it doesn't pass the eye test, like a hotel when you're 19.

-Will not help you with directions. Full stop. (pre phone w/GPS)
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,776
    cutz said:
    Any guess on the Venues for these Cities?

Toronto 3-18
    Ottawa 3-20
    Quebec City 3-22
    Hamilton 3-24
    Sirius show 3-26
    Baltimore 3-28
    NYC 3-30
    Nashville 4-2
    St. Louis 4-4
    OKC 4-6
    Denver 4-9
    Phoenix/Glendale 4-11
    San Diego 4-13
    LA 4-15 and 16
    Oakland 4-18 & 4-19
    Toronto - Maple Lead Gardens
    Ottawa - Canadian Parliament
    Quebec - Le Colisee
    Hamilton - Ivor Wynn Stadium
    Sirius - Ba-ba-Booey’s Connecticut backyard 
    Baltimore - Ian MacKaye’s Basement
    NYC - Wall Street Front Step
    Nashville - Grand Ol Opery 
    St. Louis - Checkerdome
    OKC - Cox Convention Center
    Denver - McNichols Arena
    Phoenix - Some Casino
    San Diego - Balboa Stadium
    LA - Disneyland
    Oakland - Oakland Alameda Coliseum.

Now you don’t have to look through the whole thread. Your welcome. 

It's not his backyard, it's his theater. It's gonna be chaos trying to get a seat at one of those bah-bah bar stools.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,776
    JimmyV said:

Noine.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"