rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    :lol:

Some descriptions/comments I've seen recently

An interesting tactic to take no responsibility for things one types.

The word you're looking for is "liar" if you'd like to go ahead and say it. 
    My opinion is that you are posting things like this to elicit responses - specifically to try and anger people who you believe oppose your views.  The response I have is to laugh & to find the humor in idiotic statements like this -
     "I fucking despise Pete Buttigieg, and the insufferable whiteness of the secure cis gays who support him.".
    Am I allowed to have an opinion?

It's a discussion board: the goal of most posts is to elicit responses.

And, no, I'm not trying to anger people. I'm responding to the numerous people on this thread (and others) who literally can't imagine that such people exist (see the entire "QueersagainstPete" exchange).

All of the people I quoted above plan to vote in the general election (I'm not sure if they plan to participate in their respective Democratic primaries/caucuses), yet this board seems to think that the only votes to be gained or lost are the moderates. I think it's worthwhile to point out that's not the case. People her keep talking around the concept of "electability" (i.e. who can beat Trump), but many of you seem to imagine that all voters are like you or to your right. 
    You're quoting a few of your friends here and, I guess, somehow extrapolating those few opinions towards millions of voters. 

When you have the chance, could you get back to us with your Aunt's neighbor's son's opinion on Joe Biden please? Thank you. 

I'm not extrapolating anything. I'm challenging the notion that courting the middle is desirable. 
    So ask your friends. If Pete gets the nomination, will they vote trump? Stay home? Or vote democrat.
    K. I’ll get back to you. 
    I look forward to hearing what they say.
    2nd response. Queer black man in his 30s. Says he doesn't think he could bring himself to vote for Buttigieg or Klobuchar, citing specifically their anti-black policies/actions. 
    That just makes me shake my head.  You know your choice is _____ or Trump and you can't bring yourself to vote for _____?
    People are worn out on The Lesser Evil. They'll stay home. They need a reason to vote *for* someone.
    They stayed home in 16, didn't in 08 and 12. Look at what staying home has wrought compared to the Obama years.

Weird how the interest ebbs and flows.  America is a strange tide.  But lately, not many great waves.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    benjs said:
    ecdanc said:
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

My opinion is that you are posting things like this to elicit responses - specifically to try and anger people who you believe oppose your views.  The response I have is to laugh & to find the humor in idiotic statements like this -
     "I fucking despise Pete Buttigieg, and the insufferable whiteness of the secure cis gays who support him.".

And, no, I'm not trying to anger people. I'm responding to the numerous people on this thread (and others) who literally can't imagine that such people exist (see the entire "QueersagainstPete" exchange).

All of the people I quoted above plan to vote in the general election (I'm not sure if they plan to participate in their respective Democratic primaries/caucuses), yet this board seems to think that the only votes to be gained or lost are the moderates. I think it's worthwhile to point out that's not the case. People her keep talking around the concept of "electability" (i.e. who can beat Trump), but many of you seem to imagine that all voters are like you or to your right. 
    You're quoting a few of your friends here and, I guess, somehow extrapolating those few opinions towards millions of voters. 

When you have the chance, could you get back to us with your Aunt's neighbor's son's opinion on Joe Biden please? Thank you. 

I'm not extrapolating anything. I'm challenging the notion that courting the middle is desirable. 
    So ask your friends. If Pete gets the nomination, will they vote trump? Stay home? Or vote democrat.
    K. I’ll get back to you. 
    2nd response. Queer black man in his 30s. Says he doesn't think he could bring himself to vote for Buttigieg or Klobuchar, citing specifically their anti-black policies/actions. 
    That just makes me shake my head.  You know your choice is _____ or Trump and you can't bring yourself to vote for _____?
    That’s not the only choice. 
    Wouldn't that depend on what your goal is? If your goal is to prevent a Trump victory, you have two ways to influence the election in a meaningful way - don't give your vote to him, and do give your vote to the candidate likeliest to beat him (which will be the nominee from the DNC). If you choose not to give your vote to him, you have done 50% of what you can do in total to help him lose. The other 50% is tied in with voting for the Democrat contender.
    Politics are not coextensive with elections. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    Interesting. Cause I know I have some built in benefits so a 2nd trump term likely won’t effect me personally a whole lot. But I would think it would effect a queer black man pretty directly. So I would have assumed (apparently wrongfully) that he’d be anyone but trump. 
    In my admittedly limited circle, POC and other marginalized groups commonly reject the false dichotomy (lesser evilism), because they’re accustomed to mobilizing for change in other ways. In other words, they don’t often buy that elections are the be-all-end-all of politics. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    That’s not the only choice. 
    It is.  The Democratic nominee will be President or Trump will be President. 
    Anything other notion is wishing in one hand and shitting in the other.

I wish it wasn't this way as much as anyone, but it just IS.  
    So the only things that affect people’s lives are presidential elections?
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    People are worn out on The Lesser Evil. They'll stay home. They need a reason to vote *for* someone.
    And those Berniebrosises deserve everything they get and then some. Reap what ye shall sow, yo!

”The lesser evil.” LOL.
    Is it really so strange to say “I can’t vote for a person who has helped perpetuate racism?”
  • Options

• Options
    ecdanc said:

Really offensive and really dangerous. Oh the hysteria.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    ecdanc said:

Do you think Sara Nelson is a Russian bot?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,843
    ecdanc said:

So pointing out that some union members have health coverage, for which they have fought as an benefit of their employment, is now offensive to those union members who don't have health coverage? Particularly as Buttigieg himself pointed out that they "fought hard", and yet she argue against this by saying that they "had to fight like hell". 

I fail to see how that makes sense. Perhaps some context is lost in the snippet of the tweet that you've posted. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,702
    ecdanc said:

Where does Pete say "every union member"? Does Sara lack reading comprehension skills or is she simply disingenuous?

H2M is dead on... it's a tweet filled with histrionics. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Where does Pete say "every union member"? Does Sara lack reading comprehension skills or is she simply disingenuous?

Y'all both might want to chill with the gendered dog-whistling. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:

So pointing out that some union members have health coverage, for which they have fought as an benefit of their employment, is now offensive to those union members who don't have health coverage? Particularly as Buttigieg himself pointed out that they "fought hard", and yet she argue against this by saying that they "had to fight like hell". 

I fail to see how that makes sense. Perhaps some context is lost in the snippet of the tweet that you've posted. 
    You might want to put a little more emphasis on her last sentence. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,702
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:

Y'all both might want to chill with the gendered dog-whistling. 
    Scary.
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I think her hysteria is misdirected. Where was Sara when Repub governors and legislatures were gutting unions? Oh, but big bad scary gay Pete is the real enemy. Only because he threatens Bernie’s anointment. Give me a break.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I think her hysteria is misdirected. Where was Sara when Repub governors and legislatures were gutting unions? Oh, but big bad scary gay Pete is the real enemy. Only because he threatens Bernie’s anointment. Give me a break.
    You do know who you're talking about, right? Where was she?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/22/business/sara-nelson-flight-attendant-union.html
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Where is the evidence that Buttigieg has caused an injury with his tweet?
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    Interesting. Cause I know I have some built in benefits so a 2nd trump term likely won’t effect me personally a whole lot. But I would think it would effect a queer black man pretty directly. So I would have assumed (apparently wrongfully) that he’d be anyone but trump. 
    In my admittedly limited circle, POC and other marginalized groups commonly reject the false dichotomy (lesser evilism), because they’re accustomed to mobilizing for change in other ways. In other words, they don’t often buy that elections are the be-all-end-all of politics. 
    Absolutely elections are not all of politics, but the question wasn’t “what else are your friends doing in terms of activism?”, it was who would they vote for in this election, given certain options. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

You're asking the communist that?
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    Absolutely elections are not all of politics, but the question wasn’t “what else are your friends doing in terms of activism?”, it was who would they vote for in this election, given certain options. 
    Yes, but then people here changed the conversation. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Nah, a commie.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,164
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 

Trump will be unhinged in his 2nd term.

He will go after care for people with preexisting conditions , ss and medicare. The targeted beneficiaries will be even more military spending and the top 1% in wealth.

Perhaps that's a built in benefit for you but it will certainly effect you 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

It would be better for Nelson to answer that, but sure, do your anarchic best.
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

You can find her on Twitter.

For me, the answer is simple: the very existence of (any) healthcare for profit is an injury to many. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,164
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    They stayed home in 16, didn't in 08 and 12. Look at what staying home has wrought compared to the Obama years.
    For sure. I don't know that there's an Obama in this group. I know what the national polls say, but going up against an incumbent in a strong economy is an uphill battle as it is.

On strictly a policy basis there are at least 3 candidates very similar to Obama.  People might not like the packaging as much so they wont fall in love, but that's why democrats lose.
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    I just read back over the last two pages and disagree that the conversation changed. Other people discussed other issues, but on this issue, the discussion continued to be whether someone would or would not vote whoever the D nominee is vs Trump in this election. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

For me, the answer is simple: the very existence of (any) healthcare for profit is an injury to many. 
    1) I’m not on twitter

2) Sure, but tangential to what he said in the tweet. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    I just read back over the last two pages and disagree that the conversation changed. Other people discussed other issues, but on this issue, the discussion continued to be whether someone would or would not vote whoever the D nominee is vs Trump in this election. 
    "Wouldn't that depend on what your goal is?"

"
    Anything other notion is wishing in one hand and shitting in the other."

"
    Reap what ye shall sow, yo!"

• Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 

Trump will be unhinged in his 2nd term.

He will go after care for people with preexisting conditions , ss and medicare. The targeted beneficiaries will be even more military spending and the top 1% in wealth.

Perhaps that's a built in benefit for you but it will certainly effect you 
    Well he's not all that "hinged" now, but I get what you mean. 

Election day is November 3rd. Roger Stone will be pardoned on November 4th. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

1) I’m not on twitter

2) Sure, but tangential to what he said in the tweet. 
    1) Well, I'm not going to speak for her, so......

2) You have a weird definition of "tangent." 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    For sure. I don't know that there's an Obama in this group. I know what the national polls say, but going up against an incumbent in a strong economy is an uphill battle as it is.

On strictly a policy basis there are at least 3 candidates very similar to Obama.  People might not like the packaging as much so they wont fall in love, but that's why democrats lose.
    I don't think policy positions "very similar to Obama" are much of a selling point at the moment. 
This discussion has been closed.