Options

The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,799
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    :lol:

Some descriptions/comments I've seen recently

An interesting tactic to take no responsibility for things one types.

The word you're looking for is "liar" if you'd like to go ahead and say it. 
    My opinion is that you are posting things like this to elicit responses - specifically to try and anger people who you believe oppose your views.  The response I have is to laugh & to find the humor in idiotic statements like this -
     "I fucking despise Pete Buttigieg, and the insufferable whiteness of the secure cis gays who support him.".
    Am I allowed to have an opinion?

It's a discussion board: the goal of most posts is to elicit responses.

And, no, I'm not trying to anger people. I'm responding to the numerous people on this thread (and others) who literally can't imagine that such people exist (see the entire "QueersagainstPete" exchange).

All of the people I quoted above plan to vote in the general election (I'm not sure if they plan to participate in their respective Democratic primaries/caucuses), yet this board seems to think that the only votes to be gained or lost are the moderates. I think it's worthwhile to point out that's not the case. People her keep talking around the concept of "electability" (i.e. who can beat Trump), but many of you seem to imagine that all voters are like you or to your right. 

So, if they all plan to vote in the general election and seem to be people close enough to you that you can transcribe a bunch of crap from them and digest/relay what it means relative to the opinions you feel most in this thread have, with whom will they cast their vote in a Trump vs. Democratic Nominee election if the DN is:

Mayor Pete?
    Klobuchar?

Are they going to stay home?
    Vote for a 3rd party option?  (I did that last time, firm in the belief that my vote would not matter...in NJ, it turned out I was correct, but this time I will take no chances and vote Dem for the first time ever in a Presidential Election.)
    Vote Dem?
    Vote for GW Donnie Don?

I believe, but cannot say with 100% confidence, that some of these people would vote for a Democrat no matter the case, and that others would refuse to vote for Mayo Pete, Biden, or Klobuchar (they might support a third-party candidate--not entirely sure). Is the notion of "energizing" people passe now? Or are we just assuming that a milquetoast centrist will win despite low voter turnout? 

As a Never-Trumper who has the voting history I shared above, I do not pretend to know what everyone in this (mostly Dem inhabited) thread thinks...but I think that Trump is going to win, no matter who goes against him.
    I think about 50% of our country is made up of a blend of people who are idiots, people who vote with their wallets, people who are blinded by hate, and people who are blinded by some fictional being residing "above".  (This last category may/may not be made up of members of the other groups.) 
    This is my opinion, jaded by how much of a bad leader the current POTUS is.  These people are not all Trump voters -- many are not.  It does, in my belief, slant very heavily in that way. 

My hope would be that the person put forward who many of us will hope can beat Trump would be a person who is not almost dead and a person who has the support of the most people in their party.

And what differentiates past you (given your voting history) from these people?

Also, that was my assessment of 50% of the voting public.  That does leave room for voters of both sides to fit into other categories...not that 'past me' fits, automatically, in there.  I could certainly be a blend of the first two.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

My opinion is that you are posting things like this to elicit responses - specifically to try and anger people who you believe oppose your views.  The response I have is to laugh & to find the humor in idiotic statements like this -
     "I fucking despise Pete Buttigieg, and the insufferable whiteness of the secure cis gays who support him.".

And, no, I'm not trying to anger people. I'm responding to the numerous people on this thread (and others) who literally can't imagine that such people exist (see the entire "QueersagainstPete" exchange).

All of the people I quoted above plan to vote in the general election (I'm not sure if they plan to participate in their respective Democratic primaries/caucuses), yet this board seems to think that the only votes to be gained or lost are the moderates. I think it's worthwhile to point out that's not the case. People her keep talking around the concept of "electability" (i.e. who can beat Trump), but many of you seem to imagine that all voters are like you or to your right. 

So, if they all plan to vote in the general election and seem to be people close enough to you that you can transcribe a bunch of crap from them and digest/relay what it means relative to the opinions you feel most in this thread have, with whom will they cast their vote in a Trump vs. Democratic Nominee election if the DN is:

Mayor Pete?
    Klobuchar?

Vote for a 3rd party option?  (I did that last time, firm in the belief that my vote would not matter...in NJ, it turned out I was correct, but this time I will take no chances and vote Dem for the first time ever in a Presidential Election.)
    Vote Dem?
    Vote for GW Donnie Don?

I believe, but cannot say with 100% confidence, that some of these people would vote for a Democrat no matter the case, and that others would refuse to vote for Mayo Pete, Biden, or Klobuchar (they might support a third-party candidate--not entirely sure). Is the notion of "energizing" people passe now? Or are we just assuming that a milquetoast centrist will win despite low voter turnout? 

As a Never-Trumper who has the voting history I shared above, I do not pretend to know what everyone in this (mostly Dem inhabited) thread thinks...but I think that Trump is going to win, no matter who goes against him.
    I think about 50% of our country is made up of a blend of people who are idiots, people who vote with their wallets, people who are blinded by hate, and people who are blinded by some fictional being residing "above".  (This last category may/may not be made up of members of the other groups.) 
    This is my opinion, jaded by how much of a bad leader the current POTUS is.  These people are not all Trump voters -- many are not.  It does, in my belief, slant very heavily in that way. 

My hope would be that the person put forward who many of us will hope can beat Trump would be a person who is not almost dead and a person who has the support of the most people in their party.

A much larger conversation but first I admit....I could have been (and could still be) an idiot, and I could have voted with my wallet.

Today I believe, as I did once Trump secured the nomination, that standing in opposition to him is more important than my wallet and the other beliefs I share(d) with traditional conservative voters. 
    I never was for the platform of hate nor god stuff.
    That's fair. I realize now my question probably sounded more dickish than I intended (for once, I wasn't *trying* to sound like that). 

I asked partly because I follow Corey Robin's reading of Trump vis-a-vis conservatism. Robin argues that Trump is well in-line with traditional conservatism--I was just feeling you out to see how you distinguished yourself from Trump and his followers. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,799
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Mayor Pete?
    Klobuchar?

Vote Dem?
    Vote for GW Donnie Don?

A much larger conversation but first I admit....I could have been (and could still be) an idiot, and I could have voted with my wallet.

Today I believe, as I did once Trump secured the nomination, that standing in opposition to him is more important than my wallet and the other beliefs I share(d) with traditional conservative voters. 
    I never was for the platform of hate nor god stuff.
    That's fair. I realize now my question probably sounded more dickish than I intended (for once, I wasn't *trying* to sound like that). 

I asked partly because I follow Corey Robin's reading of Trump vis-a-vis conservatism. Robin argues that Trump is well in-line with traditional conservatism--I was just feeling you out to see how you distinguished yourself from Trump and his followers. 

Love and respect for fellow human beings
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,154
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

You're quoting a few of your friends here and, I guess, somehow extrapolating those few opinions towards millions of voters. 

When you have the chance, could you get back to us with your Aunt's neighbor's son's opinion on Joe Biden please? Thank you. 

I'm not extrapolating anything. I'm challenging the notion that courting the middle is desirable. 
    So ask your friends. If Pete gets the nomination, will they vote trump? Stay home? Or vote democrat.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    The Russian troll farm has hit the AMT.  
    Reddit politics is so in love with Bernie I'm seriously thinking its Russians trying to build him up

For crying out loud he won by 1% in his own backyard and they're acting like he is invincible 
    No kidding. That showing in NH was not good for Bernie .
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

You're quoting a few of your friends here and, I guess, somehow extrapolating those few opinions towards millions of voters. 

When you have the chance, could you get back to us with your Aunt's neighbor's son's opinion on Joe Biden please? Thank you. 

I'm not extrapolating anything. I'm challenging the notion that courting the middle is desirable. 
    By telling us what a few people, who may or may not exist, supposedly think about Amy Kobuchar and Pete Buttigieg.

Ignore the middle and enjoy another four years of this nonsense. 
    Do you go around calling most people liars? Or is that special for me?

As for your last sentence, I just wish we had a recent US presidential election (like one in the last four years or so) that I could point to as a moment when appealing to the centrists failed. Give me some time, I might be able to come up with one. 
    Mr Brady label maker... or should I say .... kettle.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Reddit politics is so in love with Bernie I'm seriously thinking its Russians trying to build him up

For crying out loud he won by 1% in his own backyard and they're acting like he is invincible 
    No kidding. That showing in NH was not good for Bernie .
    And Bernie isn’t appealing to centrists. And who’s more centrist than indies?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,341
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

So ask your friends. If Pete gets the nomination, will they vote trump? Stay home? Or vote democrat.
    if "middle" equates to centrist,  at least in part, why wouldnt a candidate court the vote of 43%(more now but haven't seen numbers) of all registered voters? seems incredibly stupid not to.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

By telling us what a few people, who may or may not exist, supposedly think about Amy Kobuchar and Pete Buttigieg.

As for your last sentence, I just wish we had a recent US presidential election (like one in the last four years or so) that I could point to as a moment when appealing to the centrists failed. Give me some time, I might be able to come up with one. 
    Mr Brady label maker... or should I say .... kettle.
    I called someone a liar?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

if "middle" equates to centrist,  at least in part, why wouldnt a candidate court the vote of 43%(more now but haven't seen numbers) of all registered voters? seems incredibly stupid not to.....
    2016?
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    I look forward to hearing what they say.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    One already responded. She said she would vote begrudgingly for Buttigieg or Klobuchar. Queer, white women in her 50s. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,225
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

2016?
    We back to the ballroom dancing? Might I cut in?

Some might perceive Hilary as a centrist and her record supports that. But she was painted by the Rs as an out of touch liberal.

What gave the Rs argument staying power with swing state independents was her weak behavior and weak defense of her email server activities. She had no idea how to handle this topic from the moment she decided she wanted an unofficial second phone to the day she lost to trump.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,341
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

2016?

Some might perceive Hilary as a centrist and her record supports that. But she was painted by the Rs as an out of touch liberal.

What gave the Rs argument staying power with swing state independents was her weak behavior and weak defense of her email server activities. She had no idea how to handle this topic from the moment she decided she wanted an unofficial second phone to the day she lost to trump.
    I dont recall being asked for my vote........ she got it anyway but .......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Just you.

2018 tells you all you need to know about why your philosophy is trash. '16 would've worked had you people not nominated a horrible candidate. And she still got almost 3 million more votes.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458

I can't imagine how excited they were 4 years ago when he got 60% of the vote.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Just you.

2018 tells you all you need to know about why your philosophy is trash. '16 would've worked had you people not nominated a horrible candidate. And she still got almost 3 million more votes.
    “You people?” The communists?
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,225
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

2016?

I dont recall being asked for my vote........ she got it anyway but .......

“Everyday Americans need a champion. And I want to be that champion,” Mrs. Clinton said. “So I’m hitting the road to earn your vote — because it’s your time. And I hope you’ll join me on this journey.”

I guess she’s assuming journey = vote.
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    2nd response. Queer black man in his 30s. Says he doesn't think he could bring himself to vote for Buttigieg or Klobuchar, citing specifically their anti-black policies/actions. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    2nd response. Queer black man in his 30s. Says he doesn't think he could bring himself to vote for Buttigieg or Klobuchar, citing specifically their anti-black policies/actions. 
    That just makes me shake my head.  You know your choice is _____ or Trump and you can't bring yourself to vote for _____?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    That just makes me shake my head.  You know your choice is _____ or Trump and you can't bring yourself to vote for _____?
    There are many people here on the AMT like that.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    That’s not the only choice. 
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,002
    edited February 2020
    ecdanc said:
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    Wouldn't that depend on what your goal is? If your goal is to prevent a Trump victory, you have two ways to influence the election in a meaningful way - don't give your vote to him, and do give your vote to the candidate likeliest to beat him (which will be the nominee from the DNC). If you choose not to give your vote to him, you have done 50% of what you can do in total to help him lose. The other 50% is tied in with voting for the Democrat contender.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,405
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    People are worn out on The Lesser Evil. They'll stay home. They need a reason to vote *for* someone.
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    Interesting. Cause I know I have some built in benefits so a 2nd trump term likely won’t effect me personally a whole lot. But I would think it would effect a queer black man pretty directly. So I would have assumed (apparently wrongfully) that he’d be anyone but trump. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    ecdanc said:
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    It is.  The Democratic nominee will be President or Trump will be President. 
    Anything other notion is wishing in one hand and shitting in the other.

I wish it wasn't this way as much as anyone, but it just IS.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801
    pjl44 said:
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    People are worn out on The Lesser Evil. They'll stay home. They need a reason to vote *for* someone.
    They stayed home in 16, didn't in 08 and 12. Look at what staying home has wrought compared to the Obama years.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,405
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    They stayed home in 16, didn't in 08 and 12. Look at what staying home has wrought compared to the Obama years.
    For sure. I don't know that there's an Obama in this group. I know what the national polls say, but going up against an incumbent in a strong economy is an uphill battle as it is.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    rgambs said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

K. I’ll get back to you. 
    And those Berniebrosises deserve everything they get and then some. Reap what ye shall sow, yo!

”The lesser evil.” LOL.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.