Options

Pearl Jam Unplugged for Black Friday RSD

Comments

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,176
    First run for RSD should be colored and then additional runs (assuming theres a bigger demand for something) should be black. This way you've got the incentive to go out on RSD if you are a collector, you can reward huge fans who make the effort, but if then its available to whoever wants it with an additional run later. This will allow labels/bands/plants to better gauge demand for an item. 

The release and music initself should be the incentive.
    And I think for most it is... but there are so many people that feel a need to make money off everything that are going and buying up a lot of these RSD exclusives.  Ive seen a few posts on social media of people flat out admitting it.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,026
    edited December 2019
    First run for RSD should be colored and then additional runs (assuming theres a bigger demand for something) should be black. This way you've got the incentive to go out on RSD if you are a collector, you can reward huge fans who make the effort, but if then its available to whoever wants it with an additional run later. This will allow labels/bands/plants to better gauge demand for an item. 

The release and music initself should be the incentive.
    It is. But if it sells out, people can't get the release or the music. So to fix that, they press more, but then people get mad if they press more. This way it minimizes dissatisfaction. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    edited December 2019
    mace1229 said:
    While im a solid and devoted RSD participant, i still say this vinyl belongs in Target, Walmart, and every other big box store that now sells vinyl. 

Why? Because it was a larger production?  I think if the purpose of RSD is to support local record stores, then why not print enough copies  so they don't sell out in the first 10 minutes? Runs of 1000 where each store gets 1 or 2 copies seems kind of pointless to me if your purpose is to support the local stores;
    No because it’s clearly a musical moment that casual rock fans want to own. I was in line with folks who definitely never heard anything past Yield but they knew Unplugged by heart.  I always pictured this being a big major release one day like Nirvana, Clapton, and Bruce did.  

I stand in line every RSD anyway so its no hassle to me.  Im actually happy RSD got such a major release to be an exclusive.  Thats a major get.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,031

same idea was presented as a way for Benny to get a redo. it makes sense, and everybody's happy. 

except the flippers. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,176
    mace1229 said:
    While im a solid and devoted RSD participant, i still say this vinyl belongs in Target, Walmart, and every other big box store that now sells vinyl. 

Why? Because it was a larger production?  I think if the purpose of RSD is to support local record stores, then why not print enough copies  so they don't sell out in the first 10 minutes? Runs of 1000 where each store gets 1 or 2 copies seems kind of pointless to me if your purpose is to support the local stores;
    No because it’s clearly a musical moment that casual rock fans want to own. I was in line with folks who definitely never heard anything past Yield but they knew Unplugged by heart.  I always pictured this being a big major release one day like Nirvana, Clapton, and Bruce did.  

I stand in line every RSD anyway so its no hassle to me.  Im actually happy RSD got such a major release to be an exclusive.  Thats a major get.  
    But many people dont have the luxury of being able to get to a store and wait in line due to many factors.  They clearly should've pressed more of these.  Unplugged was a major factor in turning people into huge fans of PJ.  
  • Options

same idea was presented as a way for Benny to get a redo. it makes sense, and everybody's happy. 

except the flippers. 
    And the band/management because they are not doing it. Which is sad.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

But many people dont have the luxury of being able to get to a store and wait in line due to many factors.  They clearly should've pressed more of these.  Unplugged was a major factor in turning people into huge fans of PJ.  
    Thats my point, Abe.  I think this should be a huge Target/Walmart/Amazon release.  It wasnt.  So at least its good for the shop owners. 
  • Options

There has to be a solution though because it really sucks seeing hundreds of copies of RSD exclusives being flipped when there are many others like myself that just want to spin the damn vinyl from bands we love. 
    Yeah. Ultimately, it's the stores that miss out on the additional revenue. If its supposed to be about supporting them (which the day barely is anymore), then let them sell as many copies as possible. Additional pressings would at least keep the impulsive buyers from supporting flippers. I'm guessing it would drive down secondary market prices a bit as well.
    Exactly.  That has always been my point too which Im not sure I stated very well.  I want to support the stores but can't due to many factors.  Mainly, I seem to always have to work on RSD so I can't get there early and wait in line (nor do I want to).  This past one on black friday I was able to get to my local store 15-20 minutes after they opened and thought that PJ unplugged would be easy to get.  Store only got 2 copies (they ordered more and were only sent 2) and they were both sold already.  
    I have a good friend who doesn't even collect records who moved to St. Louis last year.  He said he found 3 record shops within 15 minutes of his house, and he made a ton flipping RSD releases in April and got everything anyone could have wanted.

He would've done the same last week, but he was out of town for Thanksgiving.  Still, he asked one of the stores to hold him Phish and Pearl Jam.  They did, even though he had only been in that one time in April.

It sucks that not all stores follow the rules.  Although it is occasionally beneficial.  The store I went to doesn't put the RSD releases in order.  He spreads them throughout the shop, and then he lets people buy multiple copies.  I was able to grab 2 Phish and 2 Pearl Jam.  I hooked a friend up with Pearl Jam, and Phish had 2 different poster/inserts (one in each record).  So I wanted two of those.

Just like posters or other limited edition stuff, there will never be a universally agreed on fair way to do it, and people will always break the rules.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,031
    RSD is a sham anyway. if anyone really gave a flying fuck about independent record stores, they'd announce that years crop of releases, and send them out randomly throughout the year. not for one day of mass consumption. people go to the record store that day and that's it. make people go there every saturday or random tuesday to check. that's how you help independent stores. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,776
    edited December 2019
    RSD is a sham anyway. if anyone really gave a flying fuck about independent record stores, they'd announce that years crop of releases, and send them out randomly throughout the year. not for one day of mass consumption. people go to the record store that day and that's it. make people go there every saturday or random tuesday to check. that's how you help independent stores. 
    Exactly. All this does is encourage people to get there at 2am to try to beat the flippers.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    I still say this needs a huge release.  Its good for everyone.  CD/Vinyl.  Its too good to be an exclusive forever.  
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,000
    Hub. said:
    hadrielia said:
    Hub. said:
    Has anyone received a shipping notification from Tony's Muziekhuis? :i_dunno:
    Not yet, just the confirmation email and the cc charge, Hopefully they will send ship them soon
    Thanks hadrielia. :smile:
    Mine arrived today in the UK from Tony's. 

Thanks a million for the heads up @demetrios
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,614
    tino_11 said:
    Hub. said:
    hadrielia said:
    Hub. said:
    Not yet, just the confirmation email and the cc charge, Hopefully they will send ship them soon

No problemo! :) 
  • Options
    hadrieliahadrielia Posts: 123
    edited December 2019
    tino_11 said:
    Hub. said:
    hadrielia said:
    Hub. said:

Mine too in Spain! No shipping email.
    Thanks @demetrios for the hint!
    06/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - Hammersmith Apollo - London /////  09/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - 3Arena - Dublin ///// 19/06/18 - Pearl Jam - O2 - London ////// 10/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Palau Sant Jordi - Barcelona ////// 12/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Mad Cool Festival - Madrid ////// 14/07/18 -Pearl Jam - NOS Alive Festival - Lisbon
  • Options
    hadrielia said:
    tino_11 said:
    Hub. said:
    hadrielia said:
    Hub. said:

Thanks @demetriosfor the hint!
    Anytime! :) 

Anyone else still waiting on a shipping confirmation from Easy Street Records? 

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    mace1229 said:

So to you RSD should be about releasing music that only the die-hard/cult fans would even want? I see nothing wrong with releasing something with mass appeal on RSD. Especially since, remember, the point is to support local record stores. How much more support is giving each store 100 copies that will sell instead of just 2 or 3 of some obscure recording that only a few want to begin with?
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,026
    to Be fair to RSD, it has improved a lot since the beginning. Larger selection, much larger runs. They are at the mercy of the distributors and of course label decisions. They do listen to buyers and take stuff into account. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

So to you RSD should be about releasing music that only the die-hard/cult fans would even want? I see nothing wrong with releasing something with mass appeal on RSD. Especially since, remember, the point is to support local record stores. How much more support is giving each store 100 copies that will sell instead of just 2 or 3 of some obscure recording that only a few want to begin with?
    I dont see a problem either. And like i said, i love how RSD helps my local shop.   Ive been lining up for nine years even when there was nothing i wanted.  

What im saying is that this live set is so famous and so clearly wanted that me the fan that loves seeing PJ in the spotlight wants this thing in the billboard top 10 for a week or two.  

Hell, leave the thing on vinyl just for RSD.  Release the CD and digital to stores
  • Options
    BR2428BR2428 Posts: 122
    demetrios said:
    hadrielia said:
    tino_11 said:
    Hub. said:
    hadrielia said:
    Hub. said:

I didn’t get a shipping confirmation, but I have the  informed delivery feature on the US Postal Service website that lists a new tracking number originating from Seattle. Probably isn’t of much help if you are not in the US, but there is movement. 
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2019
    My vinyl also arrived today from Tony’s. 
    Post edited by dottles on
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,968
    demetrios said:
    hadrielia said:
    tino_11 said:
    Hub. said:
    hadrielia said:
    Hub. said:

Still waiting. Trying to be patient and not give them another email to have to read. I'm sure I'm good and maybe just writing this will magically make some sort of confirmation appear. I only got the initial checkout email.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • Options
    BR2428 said:
    demetrios said:
    hadrielia said:
    tino_11 said:
    Hub. said:
    hadrielia said:
    Hub. said:

I didn’t get a shipping confirmation, but I have the  informed delivery feature on the US Postal Service website that lists a new tracking number originating from Seattle. Probably isn’t of much help if you are not in the US, but there is movement. 
    I LOVE informed delivery.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,532
    cutz said:
    joe159 said:
    Just got confirmation from Easy Street. “Order complete, your credit card has been charged.”

Same for me
    I still haven't got a e-mail confirmation.

Should i be concerned? 
    Did you get the initial "order placed" email with an order number after you placed your order? That's the only thing I've received, other than checking for the charge on my CC, which posted pending this evening.
    Yes, i did get the "ordered placed" email with an order number and that's the only thing i've received too. 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,532
    demetrios said:
    hadrielia said:
    tino_11 said:
    Hub. said:
    hadrielia said:
    Hub. said:

Yes, i am.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,796
    Still looking if anyone can help.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• Options
    RobbyD462 said:

I'll keep looking. 
  • Options
    RobbyD462 said:
    I keep checking a few local places and shops online.  If I can find one, I'd be happy to help out a member here, but I'm admittedly not on it as much as demetrios!
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Options
    philobeddoephilobeddoe Kennessee Posts: 192
    edited December 2019
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    joe159 said:
    Just got confirmation from Easy Street. “Order complete, your credit card has been charged.”

Same for me
    I still haven't got a e-mail confirmation.

Should i be concerned? 
    Did you get the initial "order placed" email with an order number after you placed your order? That's the only thing I've received, other than checking for the charge on my CC, which posted pending this evening.
    Yes, i did get the "ordered placed" email with an order number and that's the only thing i've received too. 
    Any charges pending? That's the only indication I have that I might be getting one. One of my Nashville area stops received 3 copies today, they offered them in-store only/no holds and they were gone in a flash. No way I could make it in time.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I dont see a problem either. And like i said, i love how RSD helps my local shop.   Ive been lining up for nine years even when there was nothing i wanted.  

What im saying is that this live set is so famous and so clearly wanted that me the fan that loves seeing PJ in the spotlight wants this thing in the billboard top 10 for a week or two.  

Hell, leave the thing on vinyl just for RSD.  Release the CD and digital to stores
    Okay I get what you're saying now. I would agree with that. Unplugged deserves more than just a RSD release. I really don't know why they've held on to this for over 25 years, and even then is a limited release.