Options

Pearl Jam Unplugged for Black Friday RSD

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,874
    CROJAM95 said:
    10c will have this......im fairly certain
    Yep, the black vinyl and probably a variant edition will go up. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,099
    I actually don't care if 10C gets this. with the exchange and their gouging shipping costs, might as well pay a flipper. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    philobeddoephilobeddoe Kennessee Posts: 192
    Still no 2nd follow up email from Easy St, still no charge to my card. Still patiently searching, as I don't expect they'll come through. Not holding out hope for a club drop either. Everything about this release is weird. I've never had this much hassle copping even the most limited of RSD pieces. 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,874
    Still no 2nd follow up email from Easy St, still no charge to my card. Still patiently searching, as I don't expect they'll come through. Not holding out hope for a club drop either. Everything about this release is weird. I've never had this much hassle copping even the most limited of RSD pieces. 
    What time did you order it? Easy Street Records said they sold out in one hour and had stock still available in the store. Hope your order comes through. 
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Variant editions after the fact is a disgusting practice. No two ways about it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,037
    Still no 2nd follow up email from Easy St, still no charge to my card. Still patiently searching, as I don't expect they'll come through. Not holding out hope for a club drop either. Everything about this re
    said:
    lease is weird. I've never had this much hassle copping even the most limited of RSD pieces. 
    I mean, it’s been 5 days since it was released. More will start popping up. Your last sentence should comfort you. There’s 13000 of these things. 
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    There's a copy on Discogs at $300. I'm pretty sure it took at least a couple years after its initial release for the Benaroya vinyl boxset to reach that price. A boxset limited to 2000. Four records. Wine colored vinyl. Superb sound. And here we have a standard black record of 13.000 pieces with seven songs directly taken from an already released DVD, reaching fuckin 300 dollars in three days. With many people reporting the sound to be not so great. Welcome to 2020.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,099
    There's a copy on Discogs at $300. I'm pretty sure it took at least a couple years after its initial release for the Benaroya vinyl boxset to reach that price. A boxset limited to 2000. Four records. Wine colored vinyl. Superb sound. And here we have a standard black record of 13.000 pieces with seven songs directly taken from an already released DVD, reaching fuckin 300 dollars in three days. With many people reporting the sound to be not so great. Welcome to 2020.
    the difference is, that won't sell. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    demetrios said:
    What time did you order it? Easy Street Records said they sold out in one hour and had stock still available in the store. Hope your order comes through. 
    Got the order number email at 1:34pm CST Sunday. I hope so too, but as my old man always says, hope in one hand...
  • Options
    PFox78PFox78 Posts: 22
    demetrios said:
    Got the order number email at 1:34pm CST Sunday. I hope so too, but as my old man always says, hope in one hand...
    I'm in the same boat. I sent a follow-up email yesterday and no response, either. It shouldn't take this long to process an order.
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Yeah, but that's sad nonetheless. Sometimes I wish I was a fan of trap music. Do "trappers" (?) even release vinyl?
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Variant editions after the fact is a disgusting practice. No two ways about it.
    It's the one RSD "Exclusive" loophole that fills me with both joy and rage. Six months later, press it in a different color, slip it in a different jacket, deluxe whatever, technically the RSD is still "exclusive".
  • Options
    I don’t care how popular this record is, if there was truly 13,000 copies released into the wild already, this would not be difficult for anybody to get. There is no way 13,000 copies have already been distributed. ZERO.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,323
    PFox78 said:
    I'm in the same boat. I sent a follow-up email yesterday and no response, either. It shouldn't take this long to process an order.
    I placed an order Sunday with Rough Trade, non PJ though, and they still haven’t billed me yet. I called to confirm my order and was told they were inundated with orders so it’ll probably take a few days to sort everything out.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,735

Maybe the 13,000 was a typo? 

Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options

I doubt this, as this number was out there since the RSD titles were announced and they had lots of time to correct it. I just don’t think all of the distributors got their shipments, for whatever reason. I’m still steadfastly encouraging people to wait patiently rather than playing a flipper now. If there was really 13,000 copies pressed, this can be had for retail with no problem.
  • Options
    Sure sounds like this "exclusive" release has truly been in the spirit of RSD.......hold back a ton of them and sell later. 
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,525
    Why are people continuing to be in denial at how popular this release is? It's the first audio only release of MTV Unplugged! Even less than casual fans know what MTV Unplugged is.
  • Options

I doubt this, as this number was out there since the RSD titles were announced and they had lots of time to correct it. I just don’t think all of the distributors got their shipments, for whatever reason. I’m still steadfastly encouraging people to wait patiently rather than playing a flipper now. If there was really 13,000 copies pressed, this can be had for retail with no problem.
    My local shop, which is in an antique mall, not even a real record store, got around 20 copies.
    Distribution is kind of random with RSD, and not all places get their shipments on time.  Still, I'd imagine most got out in the wild, as they say.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    My shop owner gave me the statement “I underestimated this.  The demand for this from music fans is going to be on par with how every rock fan respects Nirvana Unplugged. Wish i ordered more than 12 copies”

makes sense.  It was bizarre being in a long line on RSD where every person polled wanted Unplugged.  When i went back six hours later to see what was left he told me it had been nonstop phone calls and drop ins seeing if they still had it.   He said “im all pearl jammed out!”

if its this sought after though, it benefits everyone but flippers to eventually do a repress.  I know its a RSD Exclusive but this probably belongs in Target or Walmart with this demand. 
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    Yeah, I'm thinking the the 13,000 may actually be a lot more close to being fully claimed than we want to admit and we're now into flipper heaven here.  Assuming the 13,000 worldwide number is correct, Discogs collectors already account for over 2500 of them and about 1000 more have them in their wantlist.  I can't imagine 20% of all music collectors worldwide keep their collections on Discogs.  This album isn't just being snagged by fans of Pearl Jam.  It's being snagged by general collectors, fans of music in general, fans of 90s alternative rock or even fans of the MTV Unplugged series.  
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    Still no 2nd follow up email from Easy St, still no charge to my card. Still patiently searching, as I don't expect they'll come through. Not holding out hope for a club drop either. Everything about this re
    said:
    lease is weird. I've never had this much hassle copping even the most limited of RSD pieces. 
    I mean, it’s been 5 days since it was released. More will start popping up. Your last sentence should comfort you. There’s 13000 of these things. 
    I couldn't find one in the 4 Toronto shows I went into on Friday. But i did see MANY copies of last year's RSD release. I'd bet money they start to show up.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Options
    Can anyone comment on how the pressing actually sounds?  Thanks.
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 443
    Why are people continuing to be in denial at how popular this release is? It's the first audio only release of MTV Unplugged! Even less than casual fans know what MTV Unplugged is.
    It’s interesting to me. How many copies do people think Nirvana unplugged has sold worldwide? I would guarantee it is >13k.

Its hard to find data on vinyl sales but nme has the best selling albums of 2018 moving ~30k units.

This is a massive release that appeals to PJ fans and non PJ fans alike. I would be on the price dropping in a few weeks for sure but I’m not sure how much. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    NM70698 said:
    Can anyone comment on how the pressing actually sounds?  Thanks.
    The pressing is very good.  No issues at all.  The mixing tho is a little different than the unplugged bootleg we all circulated in the 90s.  
  • Options
    Yeah, but that's sad nonetheless. Sometimes I wish I was a fan of trap music. Do "trappers" (?) even release vinyl?
    Travis Scott recently released his new single and had it available to purchase on his online store in CD, Cassette, 7inch vinyl, and regular  vinyl picture disk. All with 3 different covers/color ways. All left it on his online shop for 20+ days in a made to order fashion with no details on release size or run. All purchases came with a download code upon release. 

Could you imagine if that happened here??? It would be the best worst thing thats happened in years. 
  • Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    PeterED said:
    said:
    I couldn't find one in the 4 Toronto shows I went into on Friday. But i did see MANY copies of last year's RSD release. I'd bet money they start to show up.
    Yeah, except last year's was RSD first, not RSD exclusive.

When I went into my local shop, they had three fairly large stacks of unplugged on the wall (maybe 60-75 total). When I walked by that wall an hour later, I was surprised to see that they were completely gone. I agree with what some others have said here: this release was in way higher demand than any of us thought it would be.
  • Options
    AO253126 said:
    PeterED said:
    said:
    Yeah, except last year's was RSD first, not RSD exclusive.

When I went into my local shop, they had three fairly large stacks of unplugged on the wall (maybe 60-75 total). When I walked by that wall an hour later, I was surprised to see that they were completely gone. I agree with what some others have said here: this release was in way higher demand than any of us thought it would be.
    Or flippers are counting on a strong after market.  Was there a limit at that store? (not that that would matter.)
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    AnjarAnjar UK Posts: 42
    nuzzer1 said:
    Velvet Music in Netherlands had same issue as Dr. Strange for an EU copy through Velvet's store. Thought I was done, but now have to find an EU copy...
    Same for me. I also placed an order through North End Haarlem who have said it is out of stock but they have taken payment from my credit card.
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 893
    The Bob Dylan RSD Blood on the Tracks Test Pressing was 7500, and it was hard to find in my opinion.