Options

TOP 3 P J SONGS of ALL-TIME & Why !

Comments

• Options
    CiNJaMCiNJaM Posts: 53
    1. BlaCK! ´coz it was, it is and will always be the one for me!!! It reminds me a teacher I used to be in love with at fac!!! He was (is) a keen PJ fan and this was the first song I listened to with him, it was the 03/05/03 State College live version, which is just glorious and since then this is my fave one!!!

2. Given to fly! I didn´t mind this song at the begining, but once I heard it live I just had a crush on it!!!! something else!

3. I am mine because of the lyrics and Eddies voice! Awesome!

: : : :
  • Options
    1.Indifference
    2.I got shit
    3.Immortality

No explanation necessary. Kind of funny they all start with "I".
  • Options
    1. Thumbing My Way
    I love walking around for myself, hearing this song, and relate it to everything around me and myself in person. It just means so much. I don't go a day without hearing it.

2. Black
    Just love it. I heard it like 90 times in a row when I first got Ten, and it just get's better. I love to sing it. To basically just get out those desperate ending lines "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life" etc.. Gorgeous!

3. Footsteps
    "I got scratches all over my arms. One for each day since I fell apart. I did what I had to do, and if there was a reason, it was you".

I'm a newbie to Pearl Jam pretty much, but these are my three favorites right now. Still, many songs are growing a lot on me!
    Michael

be strong. be proud. be you.

- life comes from within your heart and desire -
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    breath

hard to imagine

release , if i could hear these 3 in one show i would be happy to go to my grave..............
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    This is really tough and obviously there's no right answer, so I tried to imagine it as if I could only hear three of their songs for the rest of my life:

Given To Fly: Their most uplifting song and it still rocks.
    In Hiding: Just something about it I'll always like.
    Breath: Has the greatest bridge of all there songs, and that's saying something, plus you never hear it, so it's always great.

Hardest Omission: Once, YL
    Honorable Mentions: Alone, SOLAT, Leash, Animal, I Am Mine
    Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    Black- Great lyrics. Great Music. Best combination of the 2

Leash - an absolute anthem for young people. anthems are rare and hard to write.

Indifference- Of all their "stand up for yourself" songs, definitely the best. Would be given to fly if the riff wasn't based off "Going To California"

Honorable Mention: Alive, Given To Fly, I am Mine, Thumbing My Way, Long Road

Not necessarily my favorites to listen to, but best songs
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    ymerejymerej Posts: 70
    It hard to choose 3 "best of" songs...from Pearl Jam....
    but okay....let's try...for me...
    1. yellow ledbetter...(every time...it makes me wondeing why I am here...there...everywhere?...a song with some kind of lovely energy...)
    2.in hiding.... (I can find myself here...and every time I listen to it, it's in some strange way different...)
    3. corduroy (for me...best song ever written)
    I just want to scream...
    ...hello!!!
    My god its been six years...
    never dreamed...
    ...you'd return.
  • Options
    in no particular order:

I Am Mine: because while it may have been written about Rothskilde, I interpreted it to be about the innocents killed in 9/11. I thought it was a powerful response to the national angst, and still find it a beautiful piece of writing.

Gone: been listening to this for several days, can't get it out of my head after hearing it in Sydney (and on the bootleg). A different take on the American Dream, becoming what you will be as soon as you get out of the place that's holding you back. Don't we all feel that way sometimes?

Nothingman: it so eloquently captures the emptiness of heartbreak. "caught a bolt of lightning, cursed the day he let it go."

close runners up: Elderly Woman, Black, Thin Air
    10/28/2000 San Bernardino (11th row, thanx TenClub!)
    6/2/2003 Irvine
    11/7/2006 Sydney
    7/2008 VH1 Honors
    9/30/2009 Los Angeles
    10/7/2009 Los Angeles
    9/25/2011 Vancouver
    6/21/2012 Manchester
    7/19/2013 Wrigley Field
    11/23/2013 Los Angeles
    10/25/2014 Bridge School Benefit
    4/16/2016 Greenville SC
    4/18/2016 Hampton VA
    4/20/2016 Raleigh
    4/21/2016 Columbia SC
    5/5/2016 Quebec City
  • Options
    PResent Tense - The song describes my life perfectly

Black - It's just a beautiful song. Period. And Eddie sings it very passionately. And I can tell that the song really means a lot to him

Red Mosquito - A purist probably wouldn't want to read this. But I think it's a very cute song, especially the end where Eddie almost sounds like a drunken sailor. And I can practically picture him swaying back and forth and holding a liquor bottle while singing "If I had known then, what I know now"
  • Options
    Red Mosquito - A purist probably wouldn't want to read this. But I think it's a very cute song, especially the end where Eddie almost sounds like a drunken sailor. And I can practically picture him swaying back and forth and holding a liquor bottle while singing "If I had known then, what I know now"

I can see it too!
    Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...
  • Options
    AndiMAndiM Posts: 102
    Puh ... Probably a draw between those three ...

- Given to Fly: For me THE perfect song, lyrics, music, voice ... Just wow. Fits all together and just gives you that ... dream-like mood. Don't know how to describe it.

- Wishlist: Somehow totally different from Given to Fly, but it was the first PJ song I've ever listened too ("blame" my English teacher over here in Germany for playing it in class :D) and it's just beautifull.

- Animal: Once more really different from the two mentioned before. But anyway: This one rocks! I really freaked out when they played it this year in Berlin.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Hi. new here. top three songs eh?
    would have to be:

Indifference as no.1 why?
    the words are perfect, I feel that way so manys days and to hear the words coming outta someone else's mouth just seems to help. That and the music.. so haunting and chilling, soothing yet almost to soothing as if to get beneath your skin and crawl. Love that song very most of all.

Next would be Evenflow.
    why? because I have been the persons about whom it was written. Have made pillows out of curbsides, and eaten what ever happened to be slower than me that day. Have had to beg, and had to hide, and most generally just had rathered that world than that of the civilized world. So now the song reminds me everyday, ' forget not from whence you came, for that road has already depicted where you are going to now.'

and last but not least In Hiding
    why? because I am constantly learning new things, and seeing new pieces to the puzzle and the place in which they fit. This is a beautifull process, but just as the song claims one must dive deep down indside to dredge up the answers to each personal paradox. But upon surfacing and drawing the first breath of revelation all confusion falls away and enlightenment occurs.
    "Ain't if funny how things change so much, it's all state of mind.."
  • Options
    Chris Sabo wrote:
    I dont mean to be rude, but i'm sure ill sound that way, but you need to listen to more pj songs than just the ones on the greatest hits.
    My top 3:
    Immortality
    Untitled
    Present Tense

I don't mean to be rude but I am going to anyways ????
    I think it's funny that this thread is what's your top 3, not let's bash someone else's top 3. If that's what the person likes......

My top 3...
    Smile
    Corduroy
    Indifference
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    Here's my input: (agreeing that it is too hard to just pick three!)

- Porch (I really wonder why this has not named more times. It is so powerful but still a catchy melody)
    - Black (boring because everyone has this, but you are all right about this song)
    - Rearviewmirror (I love this part when he scream "rearviewmirror"...)

All in all, I think the first two albums are the real masterpieces.
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    In my opinion, the greatest 3 songs are

1) Black
    2) Present Tense
    3) Garden

These 3 just stand out when I think of the greatest Pearl Jam songs. Lyrically and instrumentally they are amazing also.
  • Options
    1) Animal
    2) Porch
    3) Of the Girl

It's really difficult to choose just three.
  • Options
    1) Immortality
    2) No Way
    3) Garden
    Current Favorite PJ Studio Albums:
    1) Vitalogy
    2) Yield
    3) Ten
    4) No Code
    5) Riot Act
    6) Vs.
    7) Pearl Jam
    8) Binaural
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,849
    The correct answer is:

Release
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Smile
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    ev10ev10 Posts: 3
    ok my top 3 at the moment.

long road- the words on this song are just pure magic. they take you away.
    smile- because like ed says on this song"this is how i feel"
    come back- for the same reason as long road. when ed screams "i'll be here come back" at the end it feels so honest and true.

paris 9/11
    athens30/11
  • Options
    crislxcrislx Posts: 85
    Tough one! It's like choosing between mummy and daddy! :D
    But these 3 songs are just viscerally intense to me.

Black - Because it's "love gone bad", because I just love Ed's early and intense vocal (and emotional) performances, with all the rage... and because it's a beautiful love song and I'm sucker for clichés.

Oceans - its wonderful lyric has something of a Greek epic (could have been written to Ulysses himself) and I also feel it very close to my country's cultural background.

Sad - it's one my favourites at the moment, rocks my world and because the story resembles something that happened to one of my family members.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    This is very hard more songs pop to mind as I try to make my list but here it is:

RELEASE: Easily the best PJ song ever the vocals are just incredible!!!

PORCH: I agree this is not getting enough love what a great jam song!!

Those were easy now this is were it gets really hard but I'll go with:

SAD: Just a wonderfully written tune that was shoved up my list after Portland '06!
    #FHP
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Alone: great sounding song, lyrics flow, great to run to.
    Porch: ultimate concert song
    Dirty Frank: it takes a certain talent to write this song. Not everyone could write it or come close, or admit to coming close to writing it :D

These are old songs, so I wanted it known that I think there are stellar songs on the newer albums, also. In fact when I listen to ARC I make sure to be aware of all that's around me, and to say thank you/Hello to those I can't see. I don't do this with any other song, PJ or otherwise.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Why go.....b/c it kept me from killing myself
    Alone........b/c it is damn sexy, and I love it!
    Smile........b/c it is my all time favorite!
    "F**K you, I have laundry to do" -ed
  • Options
    3. U---EVER SINCE I FIRST HEARD THIS SONG IT SEEMS TO SPEAK TO ME....
    2. Wash---classic PJ song....
    1. Rearviewmirror ...my favorite song since i first heard it in '93...got me through alot of hard times!!!
  • Options
    Betterman - Just makes me calm when I listen to it, and the song has so much heart.

Wishlist - "I wish I was the verb to trust and never let you down"

Yellow Ledbetter - Uplifting and amazing, favourite song to play on guitar.
  • Options
    My top three:

1 Garden
    2 Of the Girl
    3 Betterman

I cannot really explain why I chose these three, there are dozens PJ's songs that can be easily put on this list. However, these are probably the closest to my heart right now (corny, I know...)
    En mi vida,
    el oscuro me mantiene
    cuando yo te vi
    en la lluvia me prometiste tu sangre

Estrella de la mañana
    Samael te persigo a ti
    y si me quedo sin alas
    ademas me muero por ti
  • Options
    bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    Footsteps -> simple song but the pure, raw emotion in Ed's voice chills me to my bones. The scratches all over my arms ...since I fell apart line -relatable.

Eldery Woman...Small Town -> the lyrical imagery

I Got ID - great song - i identify with this song

needless to say there are so many more but today that is what I have
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    T-Rexona wrote:
    For me...

Black - simply a great song

Last kiss - most beautiful song

corduroy - just amazing

covers are not allowed...lol
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    off he goes - it kind of reminds me of myself. other than that it's just a very moving song.

corduroy - even after all these years and the millions of times i've listened to the multiple versions i own, i never tire of it. even if i don't listen to it for a while, those chords come bouncing along in my brain and i find myself singing.

undone - i pick this as my third not only because i love it, but i could not believe what i was hearing when i heard it. besides 04/20/02, this is the most stunning song on lost dogs. it is so fucking good! that melody, those lyrics, that amazing sonic ending - play that one again before continuing - and then play it again!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Current tops

1.Dissident - Gives me goosebumps everytime I listen to it.

2.I'm Open - Great 'lyrics', and an amazing ambience

3.I Am Mine - Awesome intro, heartfelt lyrics, and very,very nice guitar work.

Hon. Mentions: Black, Hail Hail, Daughter, Better Man, Red Mosquito, Alive, Save You, Army Reserve, Present Tense
    Ab Pbqr