Options

TOP 3 P J SONGS of ALL-TIME & Why !

Comments

• Options
    This is a fuckin hard one...

1 - Release. Pure, undiluted emotion.

2 - Leash. Makes me want to start a revolution every time I hear it.

3 - This is the hard part. I think I'm gonna have to say Betterman.

But, really, if you have three ABSOLUTE favourites, then you haven't listened to enough Pearl Jam records.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    1. Corduroy - pure ROCK!!!

2. Dead Man - so good it's scary

3. Black :)
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • Options
    stnlestnle Posts: 11
    Black

Hard to Imagine

Hold on
  • Options
    pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    1. Oceans
    2. Elderly Woman...
    3. Off He Goes
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • Options
    pjcowgirlpjcowgirl Posts: 40
    1. Tremor Christ - my all time fave and I can't explain why... and i hardly ever get to listen to it.
    2. Hard to Imagine - LD version. So intense, Ed's voice is pure magic in this song THINGS WERE DIFFERENT THEN, ALWAYS DIFFERENT THEN... I TRIED TO EXPLAIN... SOMEHOW...
    3. Who You Are - so surreal yet so funky

Honorable mentions - All Those Yesterdays, In My Tree, Parting Ways, Oceans.... spine tingling
    reaching in..... the suns fingers clutch the dawn to pass
    even out..... it's a precious thing to bear
  • Options
    Good thread

Here goes without much thought on the matter, rather what comes to mind..

1. Save You - Released during a very difficult time in a friends life and this song brought me the courage to reach out and help him.

2. Indifference - "I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind..." Revolutionary? I think so...

3. Porch - First Pearl Jam song I heard on a copied(!) cassette a long time ago, and I never looked back...

Ask me again tomorrow and I will have a different answer.
  • Options
    TheEvolutionTheEvolution Posts: 143
    Black: This is one of the greatest songs ever written in my opinion. THe depth of this song is incredible, from Eddie's amazing lyrics and vocals to jeff stone and mike's layers of guitar. If this song does not reach you in some way then you are heartless.

Leash: Leash is one of those songs that when you are a teen means so much to you. It expressed the feeling of millions of teens throughout the world, Drop the Leash get out of my fucking face! Who doesn't want to tell their parents, their teachers, or their boss that.

Do The Evolution: Eddie speaks the truth on todays fucked-up society
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Given To Fly - The song that got me into them.

Man Of The Hour - Reminds me of my beautiful girlfriend Kirsty, when we first watched Big Fish together early on in our relationship.

Thumbing My Way - Reminds me of a loss and the courage I had to get to get over it, "No matter how cold the winter..."
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    Black

I Got Shit

No Way
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
  • Options
    DitkaDitka Posts: 7
    But my three have changed since the original posting

Man of the Hour- never saw the movie, doesn't matter
    I got Shit- the duality
    Woman behind the counter- best vocal, simply beautiful, this is the song I use to recruit newbies to PJ

Black- Shindlers List, Requiem for a Dream, Leaving Las Vegas- all great but very depressing to me
  • Options
    MineAmIMineAmI Posts: 114
    Sad
    Strangest Tribe
    State Of Love And Trust
    we were but stones....your light made us stars
  • Options
    T-Rexona wrote:
    For me...

Black - simply a great song

Last kiss - most beautiful song

corduroy - just amazing[/QUO

Last kiss is the dumbest pearl jam song ever...

1.w.m.a.
    2.jeremy
    3.alone

not in that order
  • Options
    First of all, I think Last Kiss gets a lot of flak from people on this forum because it was so huge commercially. I don't think that's right, because the song is really good, it's just that the lyrics aren't as mature as you would expect from a pearl jam song. But we know the reason for that is it's not a pearl jam original. It's a cover and as covers go, I think it's pretty damn good.

Anyway, the top 3 IMO:

1. Black-I have absolutely no hesitation about this, simply the most beautiful piece of music ever made!

2. Rearviewmirror-The ending with Eddie screaming "Rearviewmiiirrrorrr" with wailing guitars in the background just gives me the chills every time.

3. A tie between Immortality and Given to Fly...... and probably fifty others!
  • Options
    lenileni Posts: 2
    1-Dissident
    2-Corduroy
    3-Present Tense

Of course, I may have forgotten about 50 others songs that wolud deserve being in the list. Anyway, perhaps there's no reason why to chose.
    Certainly, my english is not that good.

Leandro, from Argentina
    He who forgets
  • Options
    1. Not For You - "All that's sacred comes from youth, dedications naive and true..." my all time favorite lyric. The song just reminds me of young ppl today, they try to fit into what society wants them to be and they never look inwards towards themselves, at who they really are...

2. Corduroy - This song is about being a high school band senior member. This past year I was under a lot of stress in helping to strengthen our numbers and players and there was a lot of tensrion between me and all the other senior members.

3. I Got Shit - Reminds me of all the beautiful girls I've seen in my life that I've never had a chance to be with, yet I've always imagined seeing myself with them...

Thanks Eddie, keep on bringing some good shit with that new record.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    1. Given To Fly - why? cos the lyrics are bullshit awesome and the guitar is amazingly beautiful to listen to.

2. In My Tree - why? cos its just so damn good. Lyrics are so good. Drumming is bullshit. Guitars and everything. Gee-whizz

3. Daughter - why? the solo is my favourite solo to listen to. It sounds so nice to the ear. The singing is the signature of this song though. Eddie's voice is of the scale and it's very catchy.
    Wave came crashing...
  • Options
    Chris Sabo wrote:
    I dont mean to be rude, but i'm sure ill sound that way, but you need to listen to more pj songs than just the ones on the greatest hits.
    My top 3:
    Immortality
    Untitled
    Present Tense

Excuse me...but you do not decide other peoples top 3 Pearl Jam songs the last time I looked. He/she is allowed to like whichever 3 songs she wants.
    Wave came crashing...
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Animal
    Corduroy
    I Am Mine
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    1.even flow_because of the vocals between the lyrics
    2.state of love and trust_you start to jump around wherever you are while eddie says "hey na na na na that's somethin!"
    3.daughter_i don't know why but i have this song in almost every playlist of mine....
  • Options
    Black: The greatest love song I´ve ever heard!!!
    I got Shit: I love the guitar parts, the lyrics, the way Eddie sings it, everything.
    State of love and trust: because when they started playing it in Buenos Aires, I started crying since it reminds me of a very special time of my life.
    My dream came true on November 25th and 26th!!!
    Pearl jam always in my heart and soul...
    www.beegirl79.blogspot.com
  • Options
    jurasicajurasica Posts: 1,534
    hmmm... I couldn't pick three from each album, let alone... :)
    but for sure my number one is GARDEN - the 1st I heard, and I usually say, the one that redirected my life...
    ... I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened...

HRVATSKA!!! HRVATSKA!!!
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    rvm - because of the "jam" they do in the middle when they play it live. it's all 5 of them playing, and it's an early eddie song that they can do better every tour.

black - partly because it's the best song on their biggest selling album. everyone owns it. everyone loves it.

given to fly - because it's a "given".
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    black-lyrics, guitar, the way it just explodes at the end into a huge ball of emotion....
    immortality- a song that is just so sad, but still so beautiful, i could listen to it 1000 times on repeat, i hope that i get the opportunity to expierence it live one day...
    in hiding-i dont know why but this song just makes me happy... i actually try not to listen to it to much cause i dont want to ruin it...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • Options
    sebaarg88sebaarg88 Posts: 1,277
    Porch & I got shit - It's like me singing that lyrics

Corduroy - My favorite ever, this song made me a fan
    only love can break your heart
    but only love can brake your fall
  • Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    Hard to Imagine
    Present Tense
    Hold On
  • Options
    Ledbetter: The most beautiful music ever written
    Indifference: The most poetic and gut wrenchingly true lyrics ever written
    Black: ...Shit, who doesn't?

They are my three at the momment. The first two are constants, but three changes all the time...yeah, I'm a wierd one!
    ---VIVA LA VINYL---

Spin The Black Circle

---VIVA LA VINYL---
  • Options
    jurasica wrote:
    hmmm... I couldn't pick three from each album, let alone... :)
    but for sure my number one is GARDEN - the 1st I heard, and I usually say, the one that redirected my life...

Heck yes! I love Graden. That is some truly amazing guitar.
    ---VIVA LA VINYL---

Spin The Black Circle

---VIVA LA VINYL---
  • Options
    julischjulisch Posts: 34
    1. indifference
    it's a very depressing but beautiful song, makes me sad every time i hear it, especially ed's howling and the words:
    "i will stand arms outstreched, pretend i'm free to roam,
    i will make my way through one more they in hell."
    "i will hold the candle till it burns up my arm,
    i'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired."

2. wash -the european bonus track version on ten, makes me terribly emotional, the feeling of a downpour, or waves in the ocean. feeling of cleansing and rebirth.
    "oh please let it rain today,
    this city's so filthy like my mind in ways,
    oh it was the time, like a clean new taste,
    smiling eyes before me and tears from my face."

3. i have a hard time choosing the third one, several options
    - garden: it's just plain beautiful
    - can't keep: because of the lyrics
    - w.m.a.: because of its raw energy
    - and finally the different live versions of daughter, especially the madison square garden one with ben harper and the one on live on two legs

and there are still so many more that i love, it's really a tough thread!
    -
    "And I listen for the voice inside my head. Nothing. I'll do this one myself."
  • Options
    NazelNazel Posts: 4
    I would say...

1) Black: for the reasons that you know already, and also, because i feel identified with some parts... and the emotion of ed playing it live.. T_T

2) Porch: Specially for final of the song.. it's amazing, and it's simple riff and because it's cool to play it and sing it.

3)Save You: The lyrics of this song are just great.. the intentisity... all that..

Pd: sorry for my english
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    this is not hard for me. although i have all the pearl jam reconds even the bootlegs. my top 3 are simple:

3) light years ( when i first heard this song i played it 32 in arow and still listen to it every day)

2) (imo, the key to happiness) comes from thumbing my way. (all the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives choosing the shiny ones instead)

1) and finally number one is: Long road. (there is no point in saying why, if you heard it you would know why)