Options

TOP 3 P J SONGS of ALL-TIME & Why !

Comments

• Options
    KirkwoodKirkwood Posts: 228
    The list for today:

Porch (The first one at wich a realised, that this is a great band)

Faithful (The song is beutiful,sad, rockin, I just love the riffs after "We all belive"

Nothingman (Didn´t like it a year ago, but now it´s my favorite pearl jam song, simply becuse it reminds me of my ex girlfriend)
    2006 Paris, Prague
    2007 Munich, Katowice, Kopenhaven, Nijmegen
  • Options
    RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    Alive - the first ever heard is still special to me
    Given To Fly - simply just love the song
    Hail, Hail - it seems to get stuck in my head and the lyrics are great
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options
    Well i have been thinking about this now for 30mins and im still struggling.......:(

There are just so many great songs its a near impossibility to form this opinion and i could make top ten list easily and any of them could come into this top 3 .................However here it goes based on long-term listening and what really makes me smile deep and not just smile as it is a pearl jam great song.

Black - Just the most beatiful, powerful song ever written in my opinion. It just is such a beatiful ballad and the infamous line "I know someday" is just well a line that is legendary and could touch the hardest of hearts

Yellow Ledbeter - Just because well,,,,,,,If it is good enough for PJ to end every show on, i would guess it must be one of their favs. Just a great song, great vocals, great guitars and well how MMac can manipulate the guitar chords and how Eddie the lyrics makes this unique as well.

Given to Fly - Simple !! I listen to this song and i naturally end up thinking im Eddie on stage, playing air guiter, clenching both my hands around a imaginary mic and just belting this song out. This is my max volume on the car stereo and mp3 song and I just love it.....

To many more to mention - and the new album has for me added in 2 classics with Inside Job and Come Undone.
    "Want you , In My, Rearviewmirror........."
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Given to Fly

Black

Long Road

Need I say more.

:D
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    I think three is the perfect number for me

1. Corduroy
    2. Sad
    3. MOTH/Leash depending on the mood
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    1.In Hiding- Great lyrics,great music and it just reflects my general mood so superbly.One of the best songs I have ever heard in my freakin' life.

2.Nothingman- That song reminds me of someone who I have met 10 years ago.Her fav PJ song was also Nothingman. I've never seen her again after the day we've met.

3.Smile- I've got many memories concerning this one.Long story. That song really has changed my life in 1996. Another thing is that I 've only seen PJ live once on November,19 in Istanbul,1996. They had also played "Smile" during the encore and just before the last song which was "Porch". I was very impressed by that performance and probably it was the best live performance I've ever been the witness of,from any band I've seen live on stage.

For me there's no bad PJ song in history,only there are better ones.

Cheers folks.
    Innocence Is A Face That Always Lies.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Garden-So fu*&ing passionate and alive. My 2 yr old loves it too!

Given To Fly-The crescendo is amazing. Guitars, vocals, rhythm section.

Why Go-Eddie just sounds so pissed off. Again, the passion.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    BeatrizBeatriz Posts: 52
    I can't just pick three...
    But today i will go with:

Given to fly

Black

Corduroy
    I don't want to take what you can give
    I would rather starve than eat your bread
    I would rather run but I can't walk
    Guess I'll lie alone just like before

23-05-00/04-09-06/05-09-06
  • Options
    imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933
    Black~ heartfelt
    Given To Fly ~inspirational
    Porch~ we all lose control and it's okay
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    All three of these because they have the most meaningful lyrics...

1. Given to Fly

2. Present Tense

3. I got ID
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    1. Hard To Imagine
    2. Release
    3. Sad
  • Options
    1. In Hiding
    2. Brain of J
    3. Marker in the Sand
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Nijmegen 2007
  • Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    If I could only choose two, I would go with:

1. Release: I can relate so well with Ed on this song.
    2. Off He Goes: It took some time for this song to hit me, but it hit me hard. I can listen to it 5 times a day if I want to and NEVER get sick of it. I love the way Ed wrote it from the perspective of his friends looking at him after he got famous.
    3. It is incredibly difficult for me to choose between Corduroy and In Hiding. Both have played significant roles in my life but I will have to go with Corduroy. This song represents the anger of youth everywhere, not just in Eddie's life.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    mumimumi Posts: 664
    I'm in love with:

Given To Fly. Mind Blowing....
    Why Go. The rage, I love the teenage rage from this song.
    Inside Job. "how I choose to feel, is how I am"
    Uno es dueño de lo que calla
    y esclavo de lo que habla.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    Black
    Do The Evolution
    Corduroy

thats off the top of my head, i don't think i could truly pick three favorites. they change all the time. black has always consistently been up there as my favorite though.
  • Options
    Dissident
    Corduroy
    State of Love and Trust
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    Let the records play
    Infallible
    Get away
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    BLACK
    NOTHING AS IT SEEMS
    SIRENS
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    vickisomoyavickisomoya Seattle, WA Posts: 184
    This is fun to think about because my favorites have changed with time...
    and there are so many. Its like a history of your life with their music and their lives....
    But most important are:
    1. Release - because its the first time I heard eddie's voice, and the lyrics are so real.
    2. Blood - because I was so freakin' pissed off at this time, and this just nailed it for me.
    3. Unthought Known - because it was released right before I was about to drive across
    the country to start a new life on the west coast...I played backspacer over and over
    while driving through the night feeling "the path cut by the moon for you to walk on
    and "distant shores awaiting your arrival" as actual events presently happening in my life.
    I thought then.... and I still do....is Eddie psychic or something? XOX
    take the reigns and
    steer us towards the clear here
    I know it's already been sung
    but it can't be said enough
    ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

• Options
    These can change daily as I'm sure many have said but at this point in time...

Off He Goes - Lyrically & musically just a beautiful piece of art.

In Hiding - Changed the way I look at life/love ("It's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind.")

Nothing As It Seems - This song kicked off the fanaticism that took hold and has not yet, nor ever, let go.

Other possibilities:
    Down, Arc, Hard to Imagine, Indifference, Satan's Bed, Driftin', Hail Hail ...so many more...
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    BLACK
    NOTHING AS IT SEEMS
    SIRENS
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    Present Tense - beautiful melody, beautiful lyrics.

Nothingman - The song that started my journey with the band.

Parachutes

*I reserve the right to change songs daily, or, even hourly with no prior notice.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    mylomylo Posts: 35
    This is a very personal post for me. I heard Nothingman live in Barrie Ontario in 98', and it affected me in a way that I could not comprehend for years, but I loved the song and listened to it often. I didn't actually figure it out until about 2 years ago when I was going through a rough time with my wife. I had been neglecting all of the little things that make a relationship work and taking her and the things she did, for me and us for granted. One night after an argument I put on some PJ and this song came on and I broke down, all of the things that I was neglecting and taking for granted in our relationship became crystal clear. I can't hear the words "and he who forgets, will be destined to remember" without getting the chills. Since that night I've never take a single thing for granted. I'm getting those lyrics tattooed soon, just gotta pick a spot and a font.

Second favorite song is indifference, the emotion Eddie puts into this is awesome.

Last but not least is Footsteps, I can't imagine being Stone, Mike and Jeff sitting around getting this demo back and hearing what is on the tape.
  • Options
    jurasicajurasica Posts: 1,534
    jurasica wrote:
    hmmm... I couldn't pick three from each album, let alone... :)
    but for sure my number one is GARDEN - the 1st I heard, and I usually say, the one that redirected my life...

but now, after almost 10 years, I would like to add

Inside Job
    &
    In Hiding
    ... I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened...

HRVATSKA!!! HRVATSKA!!!
  • Options
    Impossible question.
    If I just had 3 songs to listen to on repeat, then it would have to be
    1: Alive (even after so many years it still sounds F***ing awesome)
    2: YL (One of the best live closing songs of all time)
    3: Release (One of the best opening songs of all time. It stirs the soul)

I want to listen to these on my death bed.
  • Options
    mylomylo Posts: 35
    Damn this is a hard question as there are so many songs that really move me, I can't even tell how many times I've edited this post. For me it comes down to which songs touch me in a way that no other music ever has.

1. Nothingman.
    A deeply personal song for me, there is a reason I have a tattoo of "and he who forgets will be destined to remember". Thankfully this song helped me not take things in my life for granted.

2. Black
    I realize this is a hit, but the lyrics and music are simply gold. Especially when Ed ads the we belong together tag. I was so greatful to hear in Pitt. I've been through complete heartbreak before and this just speaks to me, especially in its early days when Ed was fired up.

3. Release
    How can anyone not fall in love with the music and emotions in this song, just brilliant.
  • Options
    BLACK
    NOTHING AS IT SEEMS
    SIRENS
  • Options
    actonplpactonplp Maine Posts: 173
    Nothing As It Seems – I absolutely love the musical dynamics of this song. Pearl Jam can express more ‘feeling’ through their music than any other band I’ve ever known.

Sad – The beginning guitar music just got my attention & makes this a great song. I don’t think that this song got nearly the credit that it deserved. It is a simple, yet catchy song.

Rearview Mirror – While others were criticizing Vs not being more Ten, I thought the Rearview Mirror lyrics said it all & I welcomed the new direction of their music.

Sirens – Between the lyrics, emotions and the music, this song just leaves me breathless and wanting to hear it more

Ok, so that’s actually my top 4, but I couldn't put these in an actual number order of favorites. So hard to choose, if I had to pick favorites a month from now, I’m sure my list would be different.

Oct. 15, 2013 Worcester, MA
    Aug. 05, 2016 - Fenway Park, Boston
    Oct. 15, 2013 - Worcester, Massachusetts
  • Options
    nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    Given To Fly - this song is like a wave, starts out small and eventually grows bigger until it crests. and it makes me so happy.

Nothing As It Seems - just a brilliant song. the lyrics are haunting, and the music is incredible. great guitar riffs. just makes me feel something deep down.

Cready Stomp - yeah there's no lyrics, but motherfuck this jam ROCKS. probably listened to it a couple hundred times when I first heard it. doesn't even need lyrics IMO. perfect the way it is.

honorable mentions: Inside Job, Release, Black.
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    shepherd wrote:
    Alive -- I can still remember hearing this song for the first time and just being blown away. I still am. The voice, the riff. What more can I say.
    Same here. Your description is perfect.

It's a very difficult task. Just 3 songs... :think:

The other two are:

Present Tense: Lyrics and melody are awesome.

Immortality: same as Present Tense.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.