Options

TOP 3 P J SONGS of ALL-TIME & Why !

DPrecisionist05DPrecisionist05 Posts: 61
I know I pose a tough one here.
Think about it. This is personal.

I could list 10, but which 3 do you hold as the 3 best Pearl Jam songs of all time and why---energy, lyrics and meaning, how it makes you feel, how the song parallels or relates to your life, Maybe the song has made you see things differently...your own justification is all that's needed here...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJaholicPJaholic Posts: 81
    Given To Fly - the line "he still gives his love he just gives it away," gives me
    chills everytime I listen to it.

Indifference - it described my mindset to a tee for a certain period of my life

Footsteps - the line "I got scratches all over my arms, one for each day
    since I fell apart". Its and amazingly emotional and tragic line.
    I love it !!!!
    "i'm lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side"
  • Options
    In My Tree: For me, the ultimate combination of energy, vocals, & meaning!
    Eddies vocals are unbelievable, at times give me chills...he sings this song from the soul..when I first heard it I used to get annoyed at the chorus..
    where its mumble jumble...but just adds to the song..that it's perfect by being imperfect...it represents life..
    Most of all, this song is to me--living and learning through life and doing so while keeping, or getting abck your innocence which this world can so coldly take from all of us!! Got back my innocence, still got it, still got it!!

Rearview Mirror
    :Similar- amazing combination of energy, vocals, guitars..tempo...building of the tempo...soul ,pain and indignant relief pours out of this!
    For me, a song of a bad relationship, being with someone who takes advantage of you, maybe you were in love and too blind to see for awhile..
    but your day of clarity came,,,...and you move on, hopefully doing so with your passion for life intact!! This song rips, and it does so in such an affirmative, empowering way--!! Unparalleled!

I couldve went so many different ways for my 3rd song:
    Lowlight: Uniquely beautiful.. Going through life, getting wiser...
    Seeing in people what you learned not to do long ago...
    For me,...this song soothes..with meaning...classic.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I got Shit-
    I love the lyrics. I love the simple guitar grove and the emotion when ed sings

black-
    man, who can't relate and it really gets me when at the end ed adds the we belong together line

In Hiding-
    this song just makes me feel good. Don't know why it does though

Others who were in strong consideation for the last spot were indifference and state of love and trust.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    black chills me to the bone but i love it. i would want it at my funeral but its kinda sad and i want people to party!

indifference is awesome and makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up (i know thats a cliche). i love the "i'll keep taking punches, until their will grows tired" bit.

release - i cant believe a song so simple can be so damn emotional. i love this to bits
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    For me...

Black - simply a great song

Last kiss - most beautiful song

corduroy - just amazing
  • Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    black - how can you not include it, see above for reasons
    solat - omg this song makes me jump around everytime, esp the atlanta 94 version, so much energy in the music and vocals, great lyrics and riffs too.
    breath - just the perfect combination of vocals, riffs, melodies etc. i love it to death!

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Options
    1. W.M.A.

2. Untitled

3. Blood

I like all these songs equally but above all the others. Blood has such a cool funky riff on guitar and i like wmf and untitled cause i'm a drummer and they both have really interesting drum beats. Give them a listen!
    If anyone has any good ideas for band names PM me cause me and my band are amazingly stuck for ideas. Darn that band Pearl Jam for having such a cool name
  • Options
    1. Wishlist - I adore the lyrics on it, especially the last line as it fades out "I wish I was a radio song, the one you turned up. I wish, I wish, I wish, I wish, I guess it never stops..." and I love how it makes me feel so peaceful and calm.

2. Do The Evolution - it just makes me want to rock out, plus the lyrics make me laugh even tho they are completely true and serious (if that makes any sense!)

3. Better Man - awesome song and cool lyrics. I love it when the drums kick in, it just makes me want to jump and sing the words as loud as I can.
    What the fuck is this world, running to you didn't
    Leave a message at least I, could have learned your voice one last time
    Daily minefield this could, be my time, 'bout you
    Would you hit me? Would you hit me?
  • Options
    Urm, soz but this exact thread was posted on the porch a few days ago. Lots more people's responses to read there if anyone's interested tho ^_^
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • Options
    soapyrowssoapyrows Posts: 235
    1. W.M.A.

2. Untitled

3. Blood

I like all these songs equally but above all the others. Blood has such a cool funky riff on guitar and i like wmf and untitled cause i'm a drummer and they both have really interesting drum beats. Give them a listen!

your numbers 1 & 3 are probably two of my least faves! it's good too see so many different opinions and views on things on this board, anyway, yeah they have so many songs it's hard to choose! i'd probably go black, yellow ledbetter and hold on
    EVENFLOW MEMBER #009 and i'm LOVIN the new PJ!!!! avacado all the way!!

i know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    i HOPE you'll be a star,
    in somebody elses sky, but why, why, why can't it be, why can't it be mine?!
  • Options
    MerkyjammMerkyjamm Posts: 272
    1. I Got ID - "My lips are shaking, my nails are bit off"...

2. Blood - "It's MY Blooooooooooooooooooooooood"

3. Do The Evolution - "This land is mine, this land is free, I'll do what I want, irresponsibly...because; THAT'S EVOLUTION BABY!"

They all sum up how I generally feel about love, life and the world that we live in...
    Too many cowboys, not enough indians, so just go ape shit!

I may be boring but at least I'm not Jack fucking Johnson.

TV is such shit; let's go outside and ride bicycles, right now!

Madrid 07/09/06 - Little mofo'ing Wing!!!
    Wembley 06/18/07 - Speechless

www.last.fm/user/StNick_
  • Options
    KCPJFanKCPJFan Posts: 58
    I would say.......
    3)I Got Shit
    2)Who You Are
    1)Nothingman

I am a sucker for the depressing ones(#3&#1)
    ".....this land is mine, this land is free
    i'll do what i want, but irresponsibly
    it's evolution baby...."
  • Options
    T-Rexona wrote:
    For me...

Black - simply a great song

Last kiss - most beautiful song

corduroy - just amazing

I dont mean to be rude, but i'm sure ill sound that way, but you need to listen to more pj songs than just the ones on the greatest hits.
    My top 3:
    Immortality
    Untitled
    Present Tense
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    In My Tree: For me, the ultimate combination of energy, vocals, & meaning!
    Eddies vocals are unbelievable, at times give me chills...he sings this song from the soul..when I first heard it I used to get annoyed at the chorus..
    where its mumble jumble...but just adds to the song..that it's perfect by being imperfect...it represents life..
    Most of all, this song is to me--living and learning through life and doing so while keeping, or getting abck your innocence which this world can so coldly take from all of us!! Got back my innocence, still got it, still got it!!

Rearview Mirror
    :Similar- amazing combination of energy, vocals, guitars..tempo...building of the tempo...soul ,pain and indignant relief pours out of this!
    For me, a song of a bad relationship, being with someone who takes advantage of you, maybe you were in love and too blind to see for awhile..
    but your day of clarity came,,,...and you move on, hopefully doing so with your passion for life intact!! This song rips, and it does so in such an affirmative, empowering way--!! Unparalleled!

I couldve went so many different ways for my 3rd song:
    Lowlight: Uniquely beautiful.. Going through life, getting wiser...
    Seeing in people what you learned not to do long ago...
    For me,...this song soothes..with meaning...classic.
    lowlioght is an AWESOME and underappreciated PJ song...
  • Options
    Chris Sabo wrote:
    I dont mean to be rude, but i'm sure ill sound that way, but you need to listen to more pj songs than just the ones on the greatest hits.
    My top 3:
    Immortality
    Untitled
    Present Tense

I think you don´t know me, and you don´t know which albums i have and which songs i already listen, i love all songs, but these are the best for me. You like other songs, i love them too, but these are the ones i would choose if i would only could choose 3.
  • Options
    armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    3) Down

2) Alive

1) Yellow Ledbetter

Why?

Down - great, smooth guitar solos, and I love the lyrics. It's a song about hope.

Alive - once again, smooth guitar, kick ass solo, and Eddie's voice in it

Yellow Ledbetter - I don't even need a reason for this song being number one
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Options
    T-Rexona wrote:
    I think you don´t know me, and you don´t know which albums i have and which songs i already listen, i love all songs, but these are the best for me. You like other songs, i love them too, but these are the ones i would choose if i would only could choose 3.

Untitled is a nice piece...live on two legs version is fantastic and they roll into an amazing rendition of MRC
  • Options
    do you have any idea what a difficult question this is?
    I cant even chose...
    Maynard James Keenan & Billy Howerdale - I'm so weak and powerless over you

Jag önskar att jag var en jävla grungare!!
  • Options
    Chris Sabo wrote:
    My top 3:
    Immortality
    Untitled
    Present Tense

she is a ghost. what do you expect? :P

• Options
    Rearview Mirror
    but your day of clarity came,,,...and you move on, hopefully doing so with your passion for life intact!!
    Depends what mood I'm in so choosing 3 is really difficult... right now I'd go:

I got Shit - Such passion - "So I'll just lie alone and wait for the dream Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin at me" - fantastic line.

Yellow Ledbetter - Mike's guitar :D ("probably" great lyrics too ;))

Rearviewmirror .. the music works so well with the lyrics - although I'd interpret them slightly different to you. For me I see it as a son who's been abused by his father for years, as a child hating his father and the abuse, not really understanding it or how to escape. Then as he grows up he realises he no longer needs to fear his father - sees him for what he really is and finds the courage to leave the situation. Eddie just writes it far more poetically than that! :)
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Options
    shepherdshepherd Posts: 2
    Alive -- I can still remember hearing this song for the first time and just being blown away. I still am. The voice, the riff. What more can I say.

Given To Fly -- Just a fantastic song. Period.

Sleight of Hand -- A wonderfully weird song, I can listen to this one over and over and never tire of it.
  • Options
    Smile - the harmonica's great - "I miss you all day"
    Fatal - why didn't it make it on Binaural?
    Go - "Don't go on me"

Other favourites are Not for you, Save you, Sad, ...
    Prague 1996
    Salzburg 2000
    Vienna 2006
    Munich 2007
  • Options
    drsamprdrsampr Posts: 16
    for me personally(being a songwriter myself) music has always been about the words. . .what is being said what you interpret them to mean and how they make you react. . . therefore i am going to choose(and this is a very difficult task becuz i find almost all of pjs songs to be intimate and speak to me). . .

1) indifference~"I will the match this morning; So I won't be alone. . ." its just a beautifully spooky song that every time i hear it i get goose bumps and chills up my spine. . .

2) Alive~for a more personal reason. . .to make a long story short. . . back in the day my best friend(who so happens to be my guitar player) was forbidden to see me anymore by his stepmother(for all intensive purposes she will herein be known as the BITCH) because i was a "BAD INFLUENCE" and ALIVE just seemed to be on the radio every time we snuck out to see each other. . . "I'm still alive. . ."

3) immortality~such a moving piece of art. . . paints a vivid picture. . .like a video in my head. . .everytime it starts. . .moving words. . .such diverse lyrics. . . all those years spent detained having to write out passages from dictionaries. . . finally paid off. . .

i must say this was a difficult task to pick three and only three. . . every pj song has a special place in my heart and in my life. . . thank you for making me tour the vessle in my head and come up with this. . . i had a great time with my mind. . . trying to figure it out. . .
    BLACK
    OR RATHER THE RED
    ON HER SILK WHITE SHEETS
    LIKE ROSES
    BLACK

~DOC
  • Options
    drsamprdrsampr Posts: 16
    she is a ghost. what do you expect? :P
    this ghost that you speak of. . . i have been wondering. . . what does it mean and why do most of you have reaaly cool things under your names??? and how do i get ne one of them. . ?
    BLACK
    OR RATHER THE RED
    ON HER SILK WHITE SHEETS
    LIKE ROSES
    BLACK

~DOC
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    black chills me to the bone but i love it. i would want it at my funeral but its kinda sad and i want people to party!

indifference is awesome and makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up (i know thats a cliche). i love the "i'll keep taking punches, until their will grows tired" bit.

release - i cant believe a song so simple can be so damn emotional. i love this to bits
    I love release and compare it to the 60's "nights in white satin"
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    Porch, Out of my Mind(hope its a PJ orig. but still love it if its not),In my tree.
    I have at least ten more that are tied for first with these three...I mean these songs really bring goose bumps up and down my arms and make me tear. I've got about 25 strong second placers, 50 third places that I really enjoy and will listen to forever and theres maybe 5 or six I could do without...but who knows... maybe someday they with climb up into the rankings.
  • Options
    drsampr wrote:
    this ghost that you speak of. . . i have been wondering. . . what does it mean and why do most of you have reaaly cool things under your names??? and how do i get ne one of them. . ?

it all depends on how much you post, darling =)

• Options
    Daughter....Because it hits home for me, It such a BIG way....
    Last Exit.....Some of ED's best lyrics(my opinion)
    Boy this is harder then I thought......

ummm...Wishlist...Pure Poetry
    It doesnt hurt.... when I bleed
    but memories...they eat me
    I've seen it all before,...
    bring it on cause I'm no victim.
    -Ghost
  • Options
    Alive -- I also can remember hearing this song for the first time. I love the lyrics and it just has what you need to get thru the day.

Given To Fly -- What a great song for relaxation. Great lyrics also.

Thin Air -- I want this to be my wedding song. I love these lyrics:

"It's not in my past to presume,
    Love can keep on moving in both directions.
    How to be happy and true,
    Is the quest we're taking on together"
    "To put it into perspective, just to take a piss in the Spectrum was very important to us. And to take a shit backstage at the Spectrum would have probably been the ultimate, but it bordered the line of disrespect!" -EV, April 28th, 2003 in Philly
  • Options
    Chris Sabo wrote:
    My top 3:
    Immortality
    Untitled
    Present Tense

This is the best combo I've seen so far on the first page............