Options

Everyone calm down...it’s gonna be alright

I read this forum every day...it is my wake up reading and bedtime reading.  Seriously though, there is so much negativity going on right now.  It’s like we lost our rudder and are drifting in the wind.   We complain that this vinyl wasn’t pressed with enough copies or they don’t tour near my town.  Does anyone stop to think why there really is slowdown in PJ production?

It’s all about the buildup to something greater.  

The fan base is being whittled away.  The music is becoming more irrelevant by the day (not my opinion, just others).  Merch has become a non- starter, no interest for life long fans.  Setlists have become predictable and rather stale.  The only thing we hold onto are our great experiences over the past 25+ years.  

All of this has happened before and has been rectified by a new beginning with the band.  What we are all forgetting is that PJ30 is coming up.  What better way is there to invigorate a fan base than to starve them of what they love.  Marketing genius in my opinion and I feel like we are all too stupid to notice what is going on here.

PJ30 will be epic....they know it.  We just will bitch about the present tense and forget about the long road.  We should all take a deep breath and realize what is really going on here...our favorite band reenergizing for an epic run in the next few years.  

Peace and love...

love 

Comments

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    But... 

“forthcoming”
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    SM187650SM187650 Canada Posts: 700
    Fully agree! Great post!  
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,157
    I so hope you are correct
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    I'm all for toning down the hostility, but I'd be really hesitant to hang your hopes on a PJ30 extravaganza 
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    PJ20 was 1 year late.  How many years late will PJ30 be?  
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    I don't see a formal PJ30 happening.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    JimmyV said:
    Just give me 2016 with west coast dates as well and I would be happy. 
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    Did you set your Back to the Future time machine to 2016? Bad news, they didn’t tour the west coast then either. Think McFly, think. Lol
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,011
    edited July 2019
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    Did you set your Back to the Future time machine to 2016? Bad news, they didn’t tour the west coast then either. Think McFly, think. Lol
    Maybe this is a joke. 

But the poster meant, the 2016 tour in quantity, but the dates being on the westcoast (+ two nights in Gothenburg, Sweden)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    I haven't left my apartment since I got back from the Boston show in 2018.  Trust me, it is not alright.
  • Options
    I was joking. Just was funny to me to see 2016. 
  • Options
    I haven't left my apartment since I got back from the Boston show in 2018.  Trust me, it is not alright.
    I feel your pain. I really do. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,011
    PJ30 will not be a thing.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    peace and love=thoughts and prayers=its not gonna be alright.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    Maybe this is a joke. 

But the poster meant, the 2016 tour in quantity, but the dates being on the westcoast (+ two nights in Gothenburg, Sweden)
    Thought it was pretty clear what I was saying but I would love another tour with out an album to push on both coasts this time. 
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,210
    I fully agree. I actually just re-watched the HOF inductions and speeches on you tube the other day when I was browsing for live shows to watch.  No way anything apocalyptic or bad is happening after listening to those guys talk about what the fans/band mean to them. 

I'm a relatively new "forum warrior" but man people get up in arms around here.  I take as just general pent up energy since new music sucks for the most part.  There aren't any real legends in the making out there in the rock world.  My hope for some new kick ass music in 2019 rests in the upcoming Tool album.  If Tool kills its after 13 years and Metallica killed it after 8 years without an album PJ will be just fine.  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    I read this forum every day...it is my wake up reading and bedtime reading.  Seriously though, there is so much negativity going on right now.  It’s like we lost our rudder and are drifting in the wind.   We complain that this vinyl wasn’t pressed with enough copies or they don’t tour near my town.  Does anyone stop to think why there really is slowdown in PJ production?

It’s all about the buildup to something greater.  

The fan base is being whittled away.  The music is becoming more irrelevant by the day (not my opinion, just others).  Merch has become a non- starter, no interest for life long fans.  Setlists have become predictable and rather stale.  The only thing we hold onto are our great experiences over the past 25+ years.  

All of this has happened before and has been rectified by a new beginning with the band.  What we are all forgetting is that PJ30 is coming up.  What better way is there to invigorate a fan base than to starve them of what they love.  Marketing genius in my opinion and I feel like we are all too stupid to notice what is going on here.

PJ30 will be epic....they know it.  We just will bitch about the present tense and forget about the long road.  We should all take a deep breath and realize what is really going on here...our favorite band reenergizing for an epic run in the next few years.  

Peace and love...

love 
    You might be right.  It's happened before... I'm thinking about Dinosaur Jr, Mission of Burma, a few other lesser known groups.  But those bands never fell into the lap of luxury.  They always had to keep pushing themselves- and probably wanted to anyway. 

Some might say, "But look at Neil Young!  He's still kicking ass!"  Yeah, but Neil is a guy, not a band.  He's kept it going for a number of reasons- first, because he's insanely and marvelously driven.  Secondly because he has had several bands- The Squires, The Mynah Birds, Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, Crazy Horse, The Stray Gators, Promise of the Real... I've probably forgot one or two...- and that's given him a great variety of places to work out his muse.  Bit Pearl Jam is one band, and keeping one band going for over 20 years just doesn't happen often and when it does, the results are usually mixed at best. 

So I wouldn't hold my breath.  I'd like to see them commit fully- none of this bullshit of taking a break from the extended vacation in Hawaii- or call it a day.  Either way is fine by me.  As a band, they've done great work already.  Make it real again or move on, I say.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    brianlux said:
    ... I've probably forgot one or two...
    Yeah you definitely forgot at least one.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,946
    Yeah be kind  thats all you all need to remember.  It works
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    tdawe said:
    brianlux said:
    ... I've probably forgot one or two...
    Yeah you definitely forgot at least one.
    :lol:  Doh!

Forgetfulness.  It come with the territory.  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    edited July 2019
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    Maybe this is a joke. 

Thought it was pretty clear what I was saying but I would love another tour with out an album to push on both coasts this time. 
    Stop speaking Canadian and maybe people will understand you better.  ;)

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    Maybe this is a joke. 

Stop speaking Canadian and maybe people will understand you better.  ;)

I took two years of Canadian in high school but I still can’t speak it. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934
    The bitterness and cynicism has been off the charts. I don't get why people stay around to complain instead of walking away or taking a break. 
  • Options
    The bitterness and cynicism has been off the charts. I don't get why people stay around to complain instead of walking away or taking a break. 
    I agree. These attacks on Canadian english are unwarranted! 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    PJNB said:
    I agree. These attacks on Canadian english are unwarranted! 
    Well then stop speaking Canadian and make sense!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,768
    2019 is the deep inhale before a big exhale in 2020.
  • Options
    tschav said:
    2019 is the deep inhale before a big exhale in 2020.
    The deeper inhale, the hotter the air, I always say!