Comments

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    24 years later and i still miss jerry
    the bus came by and i got on
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    pjl44 said:
    I agree. But there isn't anything to communicate about. They've never shared plans before its time, don't see why its gonna change. A touring heads up is never announced until just before shows are announced. We know the status of the singles and mags (Its band dependent - and is not their priority). And an albums done when its done. They aren't gonna update us when there is nothing to update. People should know that by now. Its the way its aways been. Expecting/demanding different IS entitlement.

With you 100%. I don't need someone to announce that nothing is happening to see that nothing is happening. 

The reference was the band announced a forthcoming album 18 months ago.

Other than that significant fact, your opinion is spot on.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    PJNB said:
    Maybe I am entitled. I was born in 1981. I always get confused if I am a millennial or not. 
    I think we’re too old to be millennials. I’ve always thought we were “Gen X” (I was born in 77).  That’s what everyone called us when we were in school. Hell, I never even heard the term “millennials” until kids who were born around 98-02 (the new millennium :i_dunno:) started becoming teenagers. Not sure how people our age got lumped in with them, cuz they’re mostly the offspring of our generation.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    PJNB said:
    Maybe I am entitled. I was born in 1981. I always get confused if I am a millennial or not. 
    I think we’re too old to be millennials. I’ve always thought we were “Gen X” (I was born in 77).  That’s what everyone called us when we were in school. Hell, I never even heard the term “millennials” until kids who were born around 98-02 (the new millennium :i_dunno:) started becoming teenagers. Not sure how people our age got lumped in with them, cuz they’re mostly the offspring of our generation.
    I feel like a Gen X. Sounds much cooler too! 
  • Options
    Micheyb21Micheyb21 UK Posts: 241
    Sorry for going off topic again but I came across this for the Xennials and had to share! 

Want to know if you’re a Xennial? Here are 11 ways to find out:

• You didn’t get your first mobile phone until your late teens or 20s, and it was a brick
    • You used a dial-up modem for school or university work
    • You watched Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, My So-Called Life and Friends on TV
    • You seminal movies were Heathers, The Goonies, Jurassic Park, Clueless, Empire Records and Dazed and Confused.
    • You loved Nirvana — But also didn’t really get grunge because you were a little too young for Nirvana and Soundgarden.🙀🙀
    • You had a strong allegiance to either Oasis or Blur in the Britpop era
    • You downloaded music on Napster
    • You had a MySpace or MSN Messenger account
    • You made mix tapes on cassettes, and you owned a Walkman
    • You had or still have a Hotmail account
    • You can remember when you first heard about Google and Facebook, but there was always internet — even if it just contained an encyclopaedia
    2000 Cardiff/ 2006 Paris/ 2011 Toronto/ 2013 Chicago/ 2014 Amsterdam 1 & Milton Keynes, 
    2016 MSG 1 & 2/ 2017 London Ed solo/ 2018 London 1, Padua, Rome, Prague & London 2
    2019 Dusseldorf & Dublin Ed Solo  
    2022 Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Vienna, Prague, Ams 1 & Ams 2
    2024 Manchester, London, Auckland & Sydney
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Micheyb21 said:
    Sorry for going off topic again but I came across this for the Xennials and had to share! 

• You didn’t get your first mobile phone until your late teens or 20s, and it was a brick
    • You seminal movies were Heathers, The Goonies, Jurassic Park, Clueless, Empire Records and Dazed and Confused.
    • You loved Nirvana — But also didn’t really get grunge because you were a little too young for Nirvana and Soundgarden.🙀🙀
    • You can remember when you first heard about Google and Facebook, but there was always internet — even if it just contained an encyclopaedia
    I‘d say I‘m 75% Xennial then. Oh and Team Blur :wink:
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,065
    pjl44 said:
    I agree. But there isn't anything to communicate about. They've never shared plans before its time, don't see why its gonna change. A touring heads up is never announced until just before shows are announced. We know the status of the singles and mags (Its band dependent - and is not their priority). And an albums done when its done. They aren't gonna update us when there is nothing to update. People should know that by now. Its the way its aways been. Expecting/demanding different IS entitlement.

With you 100%. I don't need someone to announce that nothing is happening to see that nothing is happening. 

The reference was the band announced a forthcoming album 18 months ago.

Other than that significant fact, your opinion is spot on.
    So they tried giving early info, something changed, and they catch endless flack for that, too. No win situation.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,930
    Ha. I tick every box there (Oasis atm, Blur now - Hotmail is now just for online retail and mailing lists)
  • Options
    Xennial? Really?  Xennial?  Now they're just making shit up.
  • Options
    The bitterness and cynicism has been off the charts. I don't get why people stay around to complain instead of walking away or taking a break. 
    I feel like i've been on a break since the Synergy days.

Barely any new music; they've played my hometown (Detroit) ONE time since 2006... I don't know if i experienced a bit of bitterness and cynicism, but apathy is a thing. I can only get hyped for a Chicago stadium show so many times, especially not being from there or having any affinity for the Cubs/Wrigley/Chicago. It's cool for those who do; y'all are still on a 2-3 year cycle for seeing a band which is pretty alright, really. 
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Micheyb21 said:

I'm a Gen Xer and most of these describe me!

Still have multiple hotmail accounts- and Oasis, for sure!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,538
    edited July 2019
    Micheyb21 said:

Yeah, none of those things I would use to describe a millennial.  I'm '81 and fit those definitions above.   AOL IM should be on the list too.

I still think the original Jurassic Park movie has stood the test of time which is really amazing to think about with all the advancements in technology since then.  Dazed and Confused and Empire Records is probably more Gen X than Xennial.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Just for shits and giggles...
    • You didn’t get your first mobile phone until your late teens or 20s, and it was a brick.  Didn't get mine til I was 29 and I'm pretty sure I was the last person in a developed nation to get one.  Just had no desire for one.
    • You used a dial-up modem for school or university work.  College, yes.  The internet didn't really exist in high school, not as we know it.  Netscape didn't even launch until my sophomore year in college.
    • You watched Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, My So-Called Life and Friends on TV.  And The Incredible Hulk, Magnum PI, Knight Rider, Perfect Strangers, Quantum Leap, The Wonder Years, Roseanne, etc.
    • You seminal movies were Heathers, The Goonies, Jurassic Park, Clueless, Empire Records and Dazed and Confused.  More like Tron, Bruce Lee movies, The Wizard, Karate Kid, Gremlins, Back to the Future, Gleaming the Cube, The Last Dragon, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, etc.
    • You loved Nirvana — But also didn’t really get grunge because you were a little too young for Nirvana and Soundgarden.🙀🙀  Oh no no no no no.  I fully embraced "grunge" (but still hate that term).  And I loved Pearl Jam, not Nirvana. (Though I did like Nirvana.)
    • You had a strong allegiance to either Oasis or Blur in the Britpop era.  Give me The La's over both of them.
    • You downloaded music on Napster.  Didn't we all?
    • You had a MySpace or MSN Messenger account.  And AIM, but no ICQ. Anyone remember Trillian?
    • You made mix tapes on cassettes, and you owned a Walkman.  Yeah, this means you were a kid in the 80's, not a millennial.
    • You had or still have a Hotmail account.  It was the first email everybody had.
    • You can remember when you first heard about Google and Facebook, but there was always internet — even if it just contained an encyclopaedia.  I don't really remember when I first heard about them, and there wasn't always internet.  (Yes, I know "THE internet" has been around since long before I was born, but internet as we know it did not exist for about the first half of my life.)
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,459

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Shut up and go buy some fucking mugs from the euro shop!!!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,143
    I liked that one.  I think technically Gen X ends somewhere around '81 to '83, and then millenials start.

Basically if your born at the end of Gen X you grew up both in the analog and digital world.   You're kind of a hybrid of both generations,
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Zod said:
    I liked that one.  I think technically Gen X ends somewhere around '81 to '83, and then millenials start.

Basically if your born at the end of Gen X you grew up both in the analog and digital world.   You're kind of a hybrid of both generations,

"Millenials" was coined by the media as "the first adults of the new millenia." Kids graduating high school in 2000.

By that logic dob in 1982 would be the birth of the millennials.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    All of this talk about the dividing line between Gen X and Gen Y makes me feel like I'm reading the Jeane Dixon section of the newspaper.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,538
    rummy said:
    All of this talk about the dividing line between Gen X and Gen Y makes me feel like I'm reading the Jeane Dixon section of the newspaper.
    Sounds like a comment a Baby Boomer would make.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    rummy said:
    :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,727
    edited July 2019
    I'm kinda right on that dividing line (born 1983). I hate to admit it, but I'm a Gen-X poser of sorts. I'm really a millennial. An elder-statesman millennial, but a millennial nevertheless. 

An example of my millennialness would be that every audio recording I've ever wanted in my life, I've found on the internet. Everything. Every Pearl Jam show (I have over a thousand files on my computer named "Encore Break"), every Beatles studio demo, every Zappa boot, you name it. For free. This is something only a millennial could accomplish. A Gen-Xer would pay $60 for a burnt CD of Nirvana live from Melbourne. Dumbasses. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    A Gen-Xer would pay $60 for a burnt CD of Nirvana live from Melbourne. Dumbasses. 
    It's like you have a camera on me in 1995
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,727
    edited July 2019
    pjl44 said:
    A Gen-Xer would pay $60 for a burnt CD of Nirvana live from Melbourne. Dumbasses. 
    No I'm just familiar with your kind. A lot of you guys used to buy me beer (and sell me dirt weed).

Hey...kick ass versions of Love Buzz and Teen Spirit on that boot. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    At least we’re not millennials.  Thank god.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    No I'm just familiar with your kind. A lot of you guys used to buy me beer (and sell me dirt weed).

I'm only 5 years older but it's amazing how once you hit a certain DOB, people cannot fathom how rummaging around in head shops was the only way to get a lot of stuff you only heard about 
  • Options
    rummy said:
    Crap. I was trying to sound like the Gen Xer that I am!
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

I'm only 5 years older but it's amazing how once you hit a certain DOB, people cannot fathom how rummaging around in head shops was the only way to get a lot of stuff you only heard about 
    I miss the "rummaging" - although it was a bit more time consuming than scouring the internet for rogue files. At least you did get viruses in the shops  ... although some of those bins were havens for germs.

Conclusion: It's the same but different.
  • Options
    Admittedly, I can't imagine a world without the internet and I was born in '73!!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Just the fact that a thread has to be started to bring folks of the edge is all on the folks younger than 35 , us old folks don’t live every waking moment wondering if PJ are still a productive entity , we lived through 94 when no one was sure where the band was headed or if they would even make it past that year or even 2000 ..what ever happens happens with this band !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Just the fact that a thread has to be started to bring folks of the edge is all on the folks younger than 35 , us old folks don’t live every waking moment wondering if PJ are still a productive entity , we lived through 94 when no one was sure where the band was headed or if they would even make it past that year or even 2000 ..what ever happens happens with this band !
     =) With no message board or internet!   Just updates from the radio and MTV 

Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste