Options

Everyone calm down...it’s gonna be alright

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    ed243421 said:

Again!  :lol:  I love that guy!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited July 2019
    i feel sorry for the new fans who are patiently waiting to see them for the first time. pj are basically a legacy act now(more about their past than their future) and my glass is half full cause i've seen em enough times that if they stopped tomorrow i will still have had a great fucking ride with them. glass half full here. always!
    having said that at the way things are progressing we could be looking at one of their last album tours ever...hows that for laying on the HYPE for next year ;)
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    The bitterness and cynicism has been off the charts. I don't get why people stay around to complain instead of walking away or taking a break. 

People do walk away and take a break but do come back here because this is supposed to be where the news is.

26 shows in 40 months would normally bring some sort of a announcement ("hey fans we are on an extended break") from a band with such a large and loyal following.

Add to that the erroneous forthcoming album comment with no mea culpa and a continuance of their embargo on communications can generate negative vibes.

• Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Things have changed.   We're not going to get the silent treatment followed by a 2 leg 20 show tour announcement like we have in the past.   I think those days are over.   And I don't think we'll ever see another PJ20.   I don't know how people believe that since they did PJ20 it was going to be an every 5 year event.   This buzz was all over the place at 25 years.....and Jeff kind of squashed it in an interview by saying they'd rather move on than live in the past when asked about doing something for their 25th anniversary.                 
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    The bitterness and cynicism has been off the charts. I don't get why people stay around to complain instead of walking away or taking a break. 

People do walk away and take a break but do come back here because this is supposed to be where the news is.

26 shows in 40 months would normally bring some sort of a announcement ("hey fans we are on an extended break") from a band with such a large and loyal following.

Add to that the erroneous forthcoming album comment with no mea culpa and a continuance of their embargo on communications can generate negative vibes.

Or some people are just entitled. 
  • Options

Or some people are just entitled. 
    Wanting better communication is not entitlement. Though this is the way the band has been forever so not expecting it to change much. 
  • Options
    I agree. But there isn't anything to communicate about. They've never shared plans before its time, don't see why its gonna change. A touring heads up is never announced until just before shows are announced. We know the status of the singles and mags (Its band dependent - and is not their priority). And an albums done when its done. They aren't gonna update us when there is nothing to update. People should know that by now. Its the way its aways been. Expecting/demanding different IS entitlement.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    I agree. But there isn't anything to communicate about. They've never shared plans before its time, don't see why its gonna change. A touring heads up is never announced until just before shows are announced. We know the status of the singles and mags (Its band dependent - and is not their priority). And an albums done when its done. They aren't gonna update us when there is nothing to update. People should know that by now. Its the way its aways been. Expecting/demanding different IS entitlement.

With you 100%. I don't need someone to announce that nothing is happening to see that nothing is happening. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    pjl44 said:

With you 100%. I don't need someone to announce that nothing is happening to see that nothing is happening. 
    Exactly.  It's like when ESPN goes "Lebron expected to announce today that he's [insert whatever Lebron is doing]."  It's like, did you really have to announce that Lebron is announcing what he's doing? Doesn't that mean you just announced it?
    It's like that but with no news, i.e. redundant.
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    The difference between PJ and LBJ is radio silence from PJ is news. Bands announce breaks and hiatus all the time. Nice way to keep your fan base informed. Entitled is not the word I would use. Devoted fan base is what I would call it. And a devoted fan base does deserve updates on the status of the band. Nothing needs to be exact but something is better than nothing. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Again, if nothing is happening, why do you need someone to tell you nothing is happening?
  • Options
    Again, if nothing is happening, why do you need someone to tell you nothing is happening?
    So I can freely book my vacation whenever I want? I do not have flexible vacation like a lot of people do and it would help me out a lot if they knew and relayed the info they are taking the year off. Again I know they do not do this but it sure would be nice. 
  • Options
    And they have no need to announce a break or hiatus because they aren't taking a break or on hiatus.  It's just a slow period. That's all.  You guys need to stop making this out to be more than it is.  And what it is, is just the longest time we've had between albums. No more, no less. You guys sit here and speculate about who or what or why and you search things that fit your "inactive band" bullshit narrative and you just make yourselves even more upset over an issue that is business as usual in the PJ camp.  If you just stop this agenda you're on and just sit back and go "man, it's been a while since an album, hope there is one soon"  you might lower your blood pressure and reduce your anxiety a little bit.  Pearl Jam is not exhibiting any behavior that is any different from the last 15 years.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    So I can freely book my vacation whenever I want? I do not have flexible vacation like a lot of people do and it would help me out a lot if they knew and relayed the info they are taking the year off. Again I know they do not do this but it sure would be nice. 
    If your life revolves around Pearl Jam that much that you won't book a vacation until you know their plans, that isn't Pearl Jam's problem.  Sorry, but that is about as an entitled statement as it gets.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    If your life revolves around Pearl Jam that much that you won't book a vacation until you know their plans, that isn't Pearl Jam's problem.  Sorry, but that is about as an entitled statement as it gets.
    You need to chill out bud. I pick my vacation every January and can not change it that is why I said it would be nice. You do not know what my life revolves around so take a step back with those types of statements. 
  • Options
    This band has a traveling fanbase. All I am saying is since they have so many people that do plan their vacations around them maybe throw them a bone once in awhile. I guess looking forward any year that is an odd number means no shows. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    You need to chill out bud. I pick my vacation every January and can not change it that is why I said it would be nice. You do not know what my life revolves around so take a step back with those types of statements. 
    I am chill.  I don't assume, that's why I said "If..."  

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Maybe I am entitled. I was born in 1981. I always get confused if I am a millennial or not. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Wouldn't it be more aggravating for them to give a premature heads up, you book vacation, and then it changes? If you're one to travel for music and book time off by January aren't you naturally doomed to miss like 75% of announced concerts?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:
    Wouldn't it be more aggravating for them to give a premature heads up, you book vacation, and then it changes? If you're one to travel for music and book time off by January aren't you naturally doomed to miss like 75% of announced concerts?
    None of us know what goes into tour planning with this band. I am sure it is massive and takes a lot of different things to pull it off. All I am saying is if they have a conversation with each other last September after Fenway and say see you in 2020 then it would be "nice" to know as well. They do not need to do this and I get why they do not. No one is demanding they do this it is just a thought that would be a cool thing to do for a fanbase that travels the world to see them. You are right plans change and that definitely would come into play with why they do not tell us what is going on. 

Also I do not know why I am even in this thread talking negatively. I am on the things are positive team!  
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    Micheyb21Micheyb21 UK Posts: 242
    PJNB said:
    Maybe I am entitled. I was born in 1981. I always get confused if I am a millennial or not. 
    Haha me too (i was born in 80) - they always all seem undecided as to whether early 80s born are generation xers or millennials or some weird in between 🙀 maybe that does make us entitled 😂
    2000 Cardiff/ 2006 Paris/ 2011 Toronto/ 2013 Chicago/ 2014 Amsterdam 1 & Milton Keynes, 
    2016 MSG 1 & 2/ 2017 London Ed solo/ 2018 London 1, Padua, Rome, Prague & London 2
    2019 Dusseldorf & Dublin Ed Solo  
    2022 Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Vienna, Prague, Ams 1 & Ams 2
    2024 Manchester, London, Auckland & Sydney
  • Options
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Micheyb21 said:
    PJNB said:
    Haha me too (i was born in 80) - they always all seem undecided as to whether early 80s born are generation xers or millennials or some weird in between 🙀 maybe that does make us entitled 😂
    1977 in the house!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:
    None of us know what goes into tour planning with this band. I am sure it is massive and takes a lot of different things to pull it off. All I am saying is if they have a conversation with each other last September after Fenway and say see you in 2020 then it would be "nice" to know as well. They do not need to do this and I get why they do not. No one is demanding they do this it is just a thought that would be a cool thing to do for a fanbase that travels the world to see them. You are right plans change and that definitely would come into play with why they do not tell us what is going on. 

Also I do not know why I am even in this thread talking negatively. I am on the things are positive team!  
    Stay strong, team positive!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    edited July 2019

The day after the last PJ show I saw in 2018, I bought one lone flower as a reminder of how amazing the show was.  I've looked at that flower every day now for almost 11 months as it is a centerpiece on my table.  It has long wilted and turned brown.  Sometimes I think that PJ is like that same wilted flower not receiving the attention it needs to thrive.  I don't want to throw this flower away because I feel like I'd be throwing PJ away.  Then I would be left with an empty vase as the centerpiece of my table (or my life for that matter).  I spend hours sitting at that table each day.  Often I am surfing this very forum on my mobile device searching, searching, searching for any sort of news that will "make this flower bloom again".  But alas, each day goes by with no news.  Some days are sunny and some days are rainy, but I rarely bother looking out the window anymore.  I just look at that wilted flower and some days I wonder if it is looking back at me waiting for me to bloom. 

P.S.  Can't wait for the final season of Suits to be available on demand 7/7/19.  Oh the shenanigans they get into!  #lawyering

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775

I’ve been around here for years, I was on the last board, and the one before that.  I am a positive person but I won’t deceive.  I am of no opinion that PJ has ANYTHING planned for the future.  That doesn’t mean they’ll never tour again, or even put out new music. 

If and when a new release or tour announcement is forthcoming, we’ll be notified. 

Don’t worry, you won’t miss the announcement.  I guess what I’m trying to say is . . . don’t lose sleep over it.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    I think we should all quit our jobs, drop out of school, drop acid, pile into old school buses and...

oh, shit, wrong band.  Sorry!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.