The all-purpose heavy duty Climate Chaos thread (sprinkled with hope).

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    brianlux said:
    Here in Nassau County Long Island they are finally stopping the use of plastic bags.

Believe it or not there is not a bunch of blowback so far which I am happy about.

Mention plastic straws though and people lose their minds.

We in our houshold are trying to find somewhere local that can do refills of soap, conditioner and whatnot.

Nothing exists.

We have switched to a shampoo bar to cut down on plastics.

Trying to find alternatives all the time.
    Bravo, my friend.  Well done!
    It would be a business but helpful also If I could start my own shop where people brought in their used bottles and refill them.

It might take a little difficult research but you never know!?!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,552
    brianlux said:
    Here in Nassau County Long Island they are finally stopping the use of plastic bags.

Believe it or not there is not a bunch of blowback so far which I am happy about.

We in our houshold are trying to find somewhere local that can do refills of soap, conditioner and whatnot.

Nothing exists.

It would be a business but helpful also If I could start my own shop where people brought in their used bottles and refill them.

That would be great! 

We had a shop like that here in Placerville and it was great to be able to refill our laundry detergent bottles, etc.  Sadly, they couldn't make a go of it.   But then, this is a rather conservative (in the worst sense of the word) town.  It's slowly getting better but not fast enough.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Nothing exists.

That would be great! 

We had a shop like that here in Placerville and it was great to be able to refill our laundry detergent bottles, etc.  Sadly, they couldn't make a go of it.   But then, this is a rather conservative (in the worst sense of the word) town.  It's slowly getting better but not fast enough.
    Can you describe what else they had in there?  I'm in a beach town now and that might take off here.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Nothing exists.

That would be great! 

Can you describe what else they had in there?  I'm in a beach town now and that might take off here.
    My wife's business partner know the lady who ran the shop.  I asked her to get some specific info from her today.  I'll check back this evening with what I find.  Sound like a great plan, C.!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Nothing exists.

That would be great! 

My wife's business partner know the lady who ran the shop.  I asked her to get some specific info from her today.  I'll check back this evening with what I find.  Sound like a great plan, C.!
    Thanks Brian.

I really want to try this.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Holiday Inn will be eliminating those little shampoo bottles and are replacing with refillable shampoo dispensers...I recently stayed in a hotel in Toronto that used the refillable dispensers.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    evsgjamm said:
    Climate change denier here. I'm kinda with the dude who smoked weed with a dude and his buddy went off on him lol. I got a kick out of that.

Here me out (now that you're judging me, this will be both thrilling and exhausting for you.)

What do you want? brianlux and everyone else who thinks humans are causing the sea levels to rise?  I'll make a list of things that come to mind and you tell me if you want them gone.

Every single pipeline ever made.
    Every single piece of plastic ever made.
    Every human (parasite) ever made since the 1800's.
    Every gas vehicle ever made.
    Every electronic ever made.
    The Industrial Revolution itself.

And tell me what you want... I want to fully understand the other side. I'll list things and you tell me if you want them or not.

Electric transportation for everyone.
    No transportation at all.
    No plastic whatsoever.
    No electronics whatsoever.
    No worldwide communication.
    No technology.
    Campfires.

If you could do you want everything to stop now? Just... completely stop? Seriously. (I'm talking about everything to do with oil and gas supplying us with our technology.) Do you want the non-renewable resource industry (oil, gas, coal) to completely 100% stop production? 

For the record: I can't fucking stand trump, I've never smoked weed, I'm pro-choice and color of skin or sexual preference doesn't register as problem I project on people. 

Here's my perspective for you to shred to pieces (I'm really in the lions den here lol.) - somewhere on the planet the other day it was 33 Celsius (or about 90F) and the weather channel said the last time it was the same temp was in the early 1920's.  Here's what I think: I think you believe it hit 33C today partially because of (or wholly because of) human activity. Do you see my immediate follow-up question there??? And that kind of comparison has been going on for decades (beating old hot temp records.)

What do you make of plate tectonics? What's your take on earthquakes and volcanoes and their effects on the climate?

What's your take on the last extinction? Bye bye mammoths and sabers etc.
    What's your take on the recorded ice ages? You know.. the progressing and receding of vast ice sheets?
    What's your take on the Sarah desert once being a vast area of lush green vegetation?

I have two kids, I'm married, I ride motorcycles, I'm a geologist, a handyman, musician, artist, hockey player. I love baseball, traveling, movies and meteorites. I used to teach guitar lessons. I volunteer every year at the Calgary Stampede. I love gopher hunting, deer hunting, fishing and photography. My grandpa taught me how to fix lawnmowers and how to roof a house. I grew up in a grocery store and helped deliver groceries to the elderly for 10 years. I fucking love Pearl Jam.

Hit me on the head as hard as you can. I'll try as best I can to take it.
    one of "the dudes" here. his entire point was that scientific consensus is meaningless since scientific consensus has been wrong almost every time throughout human history. the problem with that position is, we have way better tools to PROVE these things are happening, not just a bunch of theories from guys looking up at the night sky. they simply observed their surroundings and pontificated as to how it worked without much else to go on. 

"yeah SCIENCE!"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Yes, there are climate cycles. but we are speeding those up and alarming rates. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and he tried to honestly get me to believe that the whole notion of climate change is a hoax for money. yeah, because stock prices of solar panels having been going through the roof for the last 20 years. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Nothing exists.

That would be great! 

Thanks Brian.

I really want to try this.
    Great!

See P.M.  :smile:

and he tried to honestly get me to believe that the whole notion of climate change is a hoax for money. yeah, because stock prices of solar panels having been going through the roof for the last 20 years. LOL
    Whenever I hear someone tell me that climate change is a hoax my first reaction is that they are telling an old joke.  When I realize they are being serious I just kind of give them one of those John Lydon type stares...

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    brianlux said:
    OK, I have the morning off, so I'll bite.

What do you want [gone]?
    Every single pipeline ever made. No, but I could live with rolling papers only if I had to.
    Every single piece of plastic ever made. Irrelevant question.  The plastic that has already been made will be around for a LONG time.
    Every human (parasite) ever made since the 1800's.   I don't have human parasites in my life.  People like that just want to drain me.
    Every gas vehicle ever made.  No, just the poorly made ones that are purposefully intended to break down and get shitty gas milage.
    Every electronic ever made.  Hell no.  Keep your hands off my stereo!
    The Industrial Revolution itself.  No, but then I wouldn't mind if humans had never invented agriculture in which case there never would have been an industrial revolution.  It is surmised the pre-agricultural humans were decent people.

What do you want?

Electric transportation for everyone.  No, I'd rather see more public transit and fewer cars.
    No transportation at all.  Ahhh, no.
    No plastic whatsoever.  Plastics could be replaced by hemp, so yes, no plastics.
    No electronics whatsoever.  Dammit, I said LEAVE MY STEREO ALONE!
    No worldwide communication.  More tin cans and string!
    No technology.  Less is better.
    Campfires.  Yes.  Who doesn't love a good campfire!

As for some place hitting 33 C, how many times do I have to say this?  LOCAL WEATHER IS NOT THE SAME AS GLOBAL CLIMATE.

What do you make of plate tectonics? What's your take on earthquakes and volcanoes and their effects on the climate?
    I think earthquakes and volcanoes are marvelous- the awesome power of nature!  Yes, volcano affect climate.  Earthquakes, not so much.

What's your take on the last extinction? Bye bye mammoths and sabers etc.
    Shit happens.
    What's your take on the recorded ice ages?
    Shit happened.
    You know.. the progressing and receding of vast ice sheets?
    93% of published scientists attribute the current receding to human activity.  I'm going with the 93, not the 7.
    What's your take on the Sarah desert once being a vast area of lush green vegetation?
    I would love to have seen that.

Hit you as hard as I can?

Vicious
    You want me to hit you with a stick
    All I've got's a guitar pick
    Ahh, honey, you're just to damn vicious.
    -Lou Reed
    Thanks for biting.
    I see I mispelled "Sahara" Desert. 
    Maaaaaaan.... I am a contrarian by nature. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but definitely a contrarian from a very young age. I don't know where to go from here on the topic. I'll keep my ear to ground. 
    I don't like pollution. I do like green energy. I love all the benefits of our technology. Campfires... ya, absolutely they are the best. Public transport... I'm all for trains / rail ... I hate buses. 
    The fish with plastic in their guts... Ya,... that sucks. 
    My stereo - same sentiment.

Here's the thing about me. I think it's safe to say I'm more of a climate change ignorer. I'm all for recycling and reusing. I'm a hoarder of Pearl Jam memorabilia so i can't safely say i'm a reducer. I collect lots of shit. I did some reading tonight to try to jump on board with the research (trying NOT to ignore; ie - trying to change my point of view and develop a better understanding / a trust in the studies done by good scientists) and I think ya'll are right lol. We've kinda fucked the climate up haven't we? buuuuuuut I'm still kind of an ignorer in the sense that I don't (fuck this sounds bad) .... I don't really care. Fuck it. 

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to continue to work in the oil and gas industry cuz it pays so freaking well. I actually wish it paid more. I'm a greedy money whore and let's face it - I want to take my family around the world when I'm not working so they can see some amazing shit. I'll still continue to give my wife shit for not organizing the recycling bins right; I'll still try to teach her to be better at separating out the plastic bags from the paper bags.... I'll still use my gas guzzling lawn mower until it breaks down at which point in time I'm kinda stoked to buy one of the new battery operated lawn mowers. That's badass. Same with my truck... I own a 1/2 ton gas-powered pickup. I do my own oil changes. I love working on my motorcycles and I love riding them. I love that companies are out there trying to develop and invent greener technology. I hate that groups of people are trying to kill the oil and gas industry. Here is my dilemma.... Love oil and gas... I believe we truly need it.. I think we need MORE of it.... but I want to have a clean planet... soooooo I also want the oil and gas industry to continue, but i want it to be green.  Figure that out?? 

So, there... in the blink of an eye, I'm happy to admit I'm on board that humans have affected the climate. I'm now in the unpopular boat of "oh well. I don't give a shit." and holy fuck do I sound like a moron. I believe smarter people than me will continue to help (or try to help) the planet and all I'm going to do is continue recycling. I want more out of life though.... I want to continue traveling by air (we go maybe once every 3 years on an airplane trip somewhere.) I'm not about to start eating Tims veggie sandwiches. I've tried them... they are delicious... I could give a rats ass. I want meat. Whenever we stop at a gas station for snacks, my family always grab junk food... .I always opt for the veggie tray lol.... seriously. But dammit do I love steaks, fresh fish and deer meat (whenever I'm lucky enough to get one- Been a hunter since the age of 12 and have only filled the freezer 5 times lol.) I love bow hunting. Have never taken a deer with the bow, but I can't get enough of being in nature that way. Ok... what else can I twist into this...

I don't think like many of you do, that's a guarantee. I'm not shy of who I am... I'm not ashamed of what humans have done on the planet. I'm aware of our species mortality and I'm just here to enjoy the ride. I've seen trauma; I've helped out in disasters; I've donated to the cause. I love helping people whenever I can as well. But I just don't care (wow that sounds bad) about the climate change. I have kids. I think they'll be alright. Same with their kids kids. I'm just not worried or afraid for the future. (Ignorant? I guess so.)

I'll continue to vote for whichever party is the most pro-oil and gas party as that's where my career is. If I ever become so hateful towards this industry and get into a completely different one, that continues to help me put food on my families table, then I will vote for whichever party supports that industry the most.

Whufta... this shit is exhausting lol.

Come at me bro's and girls. I think I'm still ready. A little bit afraid though... not gonna lie haha. I'm deeper into the wolves den and the exit out seems a bit harder to reach. ;)

Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
    evsgjamm said:

Thanks for biting.
    I see I mispelled "Sahara" Desert. 
    Maaaaaaan.... I am a contrarian by nature. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but definitely a contrarian from a very young age. I don't know where to go from here on the topic. I'll keep my ear to ground. 
    I don't like pollution. I do like green energy. I love all the benefits of our technology. Campfires... ya, absolutely they are the best. Public transport... I'm all for trains / rail ... I hate buses. 
    The fish with plastic in their guts... Ya,... that sucks. 
    My stereo - same sentiment.

Here's the thing about me. I think it's safe to say I'm more of a climate change ignorer. I'm all for recycling and reusing. I'm a hoarder of Pearl Jam memorabilia so i can't safely say i'm a reducer. I collect lots of shit. I did some reading tonight to try to jump on board with the research (trying NOT to ignore; ie - trying to change my point of view and develop a better understanding / a trust in the studies done by good scientists) and I think ya'll are right lol. We've kinda fucked the climate up haven't we? buuuuuuut I'm still kind of an ignorer in the sense that I don't (fuck this sounds bad) .... I don't really care. Fuck it. 

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to continue to work in the oil and gas industry cuz it pays so freaking well. I actually wish it paid more. I'm a greedy money whore and let's face it - I want to take my family around the world when I'm not working so they can see some amazing shit. I'll still continue to give my wife shit for not organizing the recycling bins right; I'll still try to teach her to be better at separating out the plastic bags from the paper bags.... I'll still use my gas guzzling lawn mower until it breaks down at which point in time I'm kinda stoked to buy one of the new battery operated lawn mowers. That's badass. Same with my truck... I own a 1/2 ton gas-powered pickup. I do my own oil changes. I love working on my motorcycles and I love riding them. I love that companies are out there trying to develop and invent greener technology. I hate that groups of people are trying to kill the oil and gas industry. Here is my dilemma.... Love oil and gas... I believe we truly need it.. I think we need MORE of it.... but I want to have a clean planet... soooooo I also want the oil and gas industry to continue, but i want it to be green.  Figure that out?? 

So, there... in the blink of an eye, I'm happy to admit I'm on board that humans have affected the climate. I'm now in the unpopular boat of "oh well. I don't give a shit." and holy fuck do I sound like a moron. I believe smarter people than me will continue to help (or try to help) the planet and all I'm going to do is continue recycling. I want more out of life though.... I want to continue traveling by air (we go maybe once every 3 years on an airplane trip somewhere.) I'm not about to start eating Tims veggie sandwiches. I've tried them... they are delicious... I could give a rats ass. I want meat. Whenever we stop at a gas station for snacks, my family always grab junk food... .I always opt for the veggie tray lol.... seriously. But dammit do I love steaks, fresh fish and deer meat (whenever I'm lucky enough to get one- Been a hunter since the age of 12 and have only filled the freezer 5 times lol.) I love bow hunting. Have never taken a deer with the bow, but I can't get enough of being in nature that way. Ok... what else can I twist into this...

I don't think like many of you do, that's a guarantee. I'm not shy of who I am... I'm not ashamed of what humans have done on the planet. I'm aware of our species mortality and I'm just here to enjoy the ride. I've seen trauma; I've helped out in disasters; I've donated to the cause. I love helping people whenever I can as well. But I just don't care (wow that sounds bad) about the climate change. I have kids. I think they'll be alright. Same with their kids kids. I'm just not worried or afraid for the future. (Ignorant? I guess so.)

I'll continue to vote for whichever party is the most pro-oil and gas party as that's where my career is. If I ever become so hateful towards this industry and get into a completely different one, that continues to help me put food on my families table, then I will vote for whichever party supports that industry the most.

Come at me bro's and girls. I think I'm still ready. A little bit afraid though... not gonna lie haha. I'm deeper into the wolves den and the exit out seems a bit harder to reach. ;)

Damn, dude, I thought I was long winded at times, lol!

I'll put some of your words in italics and respond.

We've kinda fucked the climate up haven't we? buuuuuuut I'm still kind of an ignorer in the sense that I don't (fuck this sounds bad) .... I don't really care. Fuck it.

OK, I can dig it.  I say nearly the same thing once in a while but more like, "I'm almost 68, I've voiced my concerns, disseminated information, written letters, set up a gathering on the steps of city hall, made calls, attended city, county and state legislative meetings, and howled at the moon.  I never reproduce, worked my ass off at a side job to make enough money to buy the most fuel efficient car put out in 2008, have kept myself uncomfortable in cold and heat, marked no-drive days, cut out red meat and all ocean food except seaweed.  And for what?  So, yeah, fuck IT!"

And then I think about all the species who are being fucked over and have to say in the matter.  And all the kids who will have to deal with this shitty and more shitty and even shittier world to come.  And I get back on the train and do what I can.

But that's me. Like Clint Conley said, "I'm not judging you, I'm judging me."

I'm not about to start eating Tims veggie sandwiches. I've tried them... they are delicious... I could give a rats ass.

Ah, but evs, most junk food IS made out of rat's asses.  Easy to pass through the body when your younger.  But when the arteries start to clog, the hemorrhoids start popping out, the colon gets rotten and you can't poop right- ohhh man.  No thanks!  Been there, done that.

I'm not shy of who I am...

Right on.  Cool.

I'm just not worried or afraid for the future.

But are they?

Fuuuuuuuck yeah!  I'm hitting the pillow.  Catch ya on the flip side! 

^^^ To tired to edit the grammar and misspellings.  Fuck it.  :lol: 

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    You're the man, Brian. I chuckled at your replies - Humour is not lost on you which is nnnnnnnn-n-n-nice.
    You got me thinking about aging though... I do love food. I freakin LOVE cooking and trying new things and I'll tell ya this: when I leave home to go work in the patch, I hit the grocery store and spend most of my time in the fruits and veggies isles. Also love me some plain yogurt, plain almonds, bah.. you get the point.   I literally do eat pretty healthy out here. No pop, no chips, no chocolate (except for the occasional dark chocolate; but hey, our best friends works at Lindt lol)... and let's face the facts, I'm bringing my kids up in a pro-oil and gas sector house / family. We've converted a couple of the girlfriends (now wives) from liberals to conservatives (which is just hilarious to me; let me preface that by it was my cousins and bro-in-law, not me... I could give two shits if my wife was liberal. I freakin love hippies; I'm part hippy for sure... except for the rig pig part.) which I just find hilarious. Sorry, I love using brackets.... I think fast and I type fast.

Tea time.

Here's to rats asses.

Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,792
    Holiday Inn will be eliminating those little shampoo bottles and are replacing with refillable shampoo dispensers...I recently stayed in a hotel in Toronto that used the refillable dispensers.
    Those refillable ones have been used in Sweden forever, and seen it all over Europe. 

They also ask you to re-use your towel.

It's not common with refillable dispensers in Canadian hotels?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited July 2019
    Does "deposit" on plastic bottles and cans exist in the US/Canada? As in you pay an extra charge, that you get back when you return it instead of just throwing it in the regular trash?

I saw it in Germany atleast. In Sweden you pay $0.1-0-2 for bottles/cans, that is returned when you returned the bottle/Can. You can also most often give the "deposit" charge to charity.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/07/29/africa/ethiopia-plants-350-million-trees-intl-hnk/index.html

Ethiopia planted more than 353 million trees in 12 hours on Monday, which officials believe is a world record.

evsgjamm said:
    You're the man, Brian. I chuckled at your replies - Humour is not lost on you which is nnnnnnnn-n-n-nice.
    You got me thinking about aging though... I do love food. I freakin LOVE cooking and trying new things and I'll tell ya this: when I leave home to go work in the patch, I hit the grocery store and spend most of my time in the fruits and veggies isles. Also love me some plain yogurt, plain almonds, bah.. you get the point.   I literally do eat pretty healthy out here. No pop, no chips, no chocolate (except for the occasional dark chocolate; but hey, our best friends works at Lindt lol)... and let's face the facts, I'm bringing my kids up in a pro-oil and gas sector house / family. We've converted a couple of the girlfriends (now wives) from liberals to conservatives (which is just hilarious to me; let me preface that by it was my cousins and bro-in-law, not me... I could give two shits if my wife was liberal. I freakin love hippies; I'm part hippy for sure... except for the rig pig part.) which I just find hilarious. Sorry, I love using brackets.... I think fast and I type fast.

Tea time.

Here's to rats asses.

LOL,  we may  not be fully on the same page about some things but, as the guys say...

I must admit I never heard the phrase climate change ignorer...but I think that sums up most people that we assume as climate change deniers...I know people who say they know the climate is changing...but prefer they ignore it.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I must admit I never heard the phrase climate change ignorer...but I think that sums up most people that we assume as climate change deniers...I know people who say they know the climate is changing...but prefer they ignore it.
    Isn't that all republicans in congress etc?
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    The real question is, with climate change where would you rather live?  USA? Sweden? Canada? ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    The real question is, with climate change where would you rather live?  USA? Sweden? Canada? ;)
    I just saw Crawl, so I'm gonna say not Florida at least.

POT STIRRER! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Does "deposit" on plastic bottles and cans exist in the US/Canada? As in you pay an extra charge, that you get back when you return it instead of just throwing it in the regular trash?

I saw it in Germany atleast. In Sweden you pay $0.1-0-2 for bottles/cans, that is returned when you returned the bottle/Can. You can also most often give the "deposit" charge to charity.

only beer bottles and cans where I am. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818

only beer bottles and cans where I am. 
    Really? I think all beverage containers have a deposit in BC, alcoholic and nonalcoholic. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

Greenland’s Ice Sheet Lost 11 Billion Tons In One Day

Damn...

edited August 2019
    fuck. was watching a joe rogan podcast last night with jordan peterson. i hear he gets a lot of heat for being a chauvinist and whatnot, caters to incels and all this garbage (he just disagrees with our crazy pc culture), but i agreed with a lot of what he had to say. 

then i read he's a climate change denier because he thinks the models we use to measure it are flawed (i have a feeling my buddy who went off on me about it is a fan-his argument was nearly identical to peterson's). 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

fuck. was watching a joe rogan podcast last night with jordan peterson. i hear he gets a lot of heat for being a chauvinist and whatnot, caters to incels and all this garbage (he just disagrees with our crazy pc culture), but i agreed with a lot of what he had to say. 

then i read he's a climate change denier because he thinks the models we use to measure it are flawed (i have a feeling my buddy who went off on me about it is a fan-his argument was nearly identical to peterson's). 
    "fuck" is definitely what I would call a normal response to this kind of news.

It's weird to me that deniers still abound.  The majority of scientists agree that humans are driving global warming, and that many well-trained, intelligent researchers can't all be wrong and, fuck's sake, the evidence is practically in our face, yet some persist on denying what's going down.  Very strange.

Give Peas A Chance…