Options

The all-purpose heavy duty Climate Chaos thread (sprinkled with hope).

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    Yah, that's a tough one for sure.

There's still a part of me that has a sliver of hope humanity can figure this out.    Maybe that's the difference between us and metldown99.   My sliver of hope isn't that big, because basically, it all relies on technology.  No one really seems to want to change behaviours, consume less, or do anything that impacts their lifestyle.  Yet technology may not fix it, and if technology can help, people might need to consume less to give future humans a chance.

I'm personally in the precipice of your two sides.  Some days I feel more hopeful and probably do better things.  Other days I feel the world is doomed, or I see friends driving their big V8 truck with a camper to campground, one's that complain about global warming.. and I'm like.. that shit causes it.. lol.   The reasoning is it's easier to camp with kids that way.  While true.. I also survived tenting and camping out a 4 cylinder car when I was growing up.

but yah.. some days I feel like contributing to mankind, and other days when I see no one else does anything.. I go back to my f it, hopefully the shit really doesn't hit the fan until after I die of old age.
  • Options
    Posting because I have always dreamed of doing this...

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/planning-microhydropower-system
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Tell me why should I do more than I already do?  We have a climate activist prime minister who uses the government jet like it is his personal Uber…i think the hypocrisy from assholes like him who will never practice what they preach…

if there is such a climate emergency then these so called leaders need to sacrifice…and how come they don’t, but im expected to…hmmm.

This very band is supposedly an environmental band…and people fly all over the globe to see them?  Not that they can stop it…but do they discourage people from trekking all over the globe to see them?

As far as I’m concerned you and I and a few other could live like 1850 but the truth is people for the most part are not giving up there lifestyle for the planet and that includes environmentalist…

we have another environmentalist David Suzuki who talks a good game but is quite hypocritical.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Tell me why should I do more than I already do?  We have a climate activist prime minister who uses the government jet like it is his personal Uber…i think the hypocrisy from assholes like him who will never practice what they preach…

if there is such a climate emergency then these so called leaders need to sacrifice…and how come they don’t, but im expected to…hmmm.

This very band is supposedly an environmental band…and people fly all over the globe to see them?  Not that they can stop it…but do they discourage people from trekking all over the globe to see them?

As far as I’m concerned you and I and a few other could live like 1850 but the truth is people for the most part are not giving up there lifestyle for the planet and that includes environmentalist…

we have another environmentalist David Suzuki who talks a good game but is quite hypocritical.

You are correct about lifestyle.  Yet a band that makes a Gigaton album sells Funkos, Baseball bats and Viewfinders.  All which i am guilty of purchasing...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    people who do nothing but bitch about the leaders being hypocritical but then act like a child and say "well if they don't have to, I'm not gunna". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    people who do nothing but bitch about the leaders being hypocritical but then act like a child and say "well if they don't have to, I'm not gunna". 
    Unless you're homesteading I am sure we all slip up a little bit.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889

I agree. So much rules for thee and not for me going around these days.  It's stupid to even evaluate individual contributions, when the powers of industry could make large sweeping changes for the better, but dont.  Only sell compostable materials for packaging, no more shitty little plastic trinkets, more durable goods etc.  Invest in rails make them accessible to all and tax the hell out of fuel the way they do ammo, increase airline fuel efficiency, equip sensors to know when to lower or raise altitude to decrease contrails.  Regional farming, regional supply chains etc.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721

Someone was telling you what to do?  You need the ask them to please knock it off.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    static111 said:

I agree. So much rules for thee and not for me going around these days.  It's stupid to even evaluate individual contributions, when the powers of industry could make large sweeping changes for the better, but dont.  Only sell compostable materials for packaging, no more shitty little plastic trinkets, more durable goods etc.  Invest in rails make them accessible to all and tax the hell out of fuel the way they do ammo, increase airline fuel efficiency, equip sensors to know when to lower or raise altitude to decrease contrails.  Regional farming, regional supply chains etc.  

I don't know why you guys are focusing on what big name hypocrites are doing that is "wrong" for the climate.  You can't change them, only yourself. 
    And big industry, yeah, that's a problem.  But you actually can influence them, however, by making choices about what and how much you purchase and consume.  But that takes a little time and research, as well as practicing delayed gratification and restraint.
    And if none of that works for you, that's your choice too.  But then why bother to think about or talk about global warming if you don't think you can make a difference on an individual level?  I'm not telling you not to, I just don't understand why you would bother.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

I don't know why you guys are focusing on what big name hypocrites are doing that is "wrong" for the climate.  You can't change them, only yourself. 
    And big industry, yeah, that's a problem.  But you actually can influence them, however, by making choices about what and how much you purchase and consume.  But that takes a little time and research, as well as practicing delayed gratification and restraint.
    And if none of that works for you, that's your choice too.  But then why bother to think about or talk about global warming if you don't think you can make a difference on an individual level?  I'm not telling you not to, I just don't understand why you would bother.
    Lol we do all those things in my home.  half of our freezer is usually full of compostables that most people would throw in the trash.  Since we don't have composting we have to make a 45 minute drive to a composting facility, or drive across town to friends that live in districts that have composting and dump it in their bins.  We bike and walk as much as we can focus on buying ethical as much as possible, haven't used Amazon or other major instant gratification polluters in years, buy localshop at farmers markets. The fact of the matter is that it does diddley squat to help with our global problem. Unless a whole lot of people start putting pressure on industry etc, we might as well get ready for desert planet waterworld or whatever.  

Speaking for me personally, I focus on what the hypocrites are doing, because they are the ones with the largest carbon footprints and the ability and voices to change things, but all we usually get is some lip service and feel good photo ops.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

Lol we do all those things in my home.  half of our freezer is usually full of compostables that most people would throw in the trash.  Since we don't have composting we have to make a 45 minute drive to a composting facility, or drive across town to friends that live in districts that have composting and dump it in their bins.  We bike and walk as much as we can focus on buying ethical as much as possible, haven't used Amazon or other major instant gratification polluters in years, buy localshop at farmers markets. The fact of the matter is that it does diddley squat to help with our global problem. Unless a whole lot of people start putting pressure on industry etc, we might as well get ready for desert planet waterworld or whatever.  

Speaking for me personally, I focus on what the hypocrites are doing, because they are the ones with the largest carbon footprints and the ability and voices to change things, but all we usually get is some lip service and feel good photo ops.

Those things you are doing are great- kudos!  Personally, I do think they help, even if just a tiny bit and, besides, it's never a bad idea to do the right things. 

As for hypocrites, I get your frustration. But there are major voices out there who are not hypocritical when it comes to environment.  I can name several you might want to check out:

Wendell Berry
    Doug Peacock
    Greta Thunberg
    Captain Paul Watson
    Richard Manning
    Bill McKibben
    Terry Tempest Williams
    Edward O. Wilson

Those are just the names off the top of my head.  There are others as well! 

Don't give up hope.  At least in terms of this definition:

"Hope is not the conviction that things will turn out well.  Hope is doing what makes sense no matter how things turn out."

• Options
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

Those things you are doing are great- kudos!  Personally, I do think they help, even if just a tiny bit and, besides, it's never a bad idea to do the right things. 

As for hypocrites, I get your frustration. But there are major voices out there who are not hypocritical when it comes to environment.  I can name several you might want to check out:

Wendell Berry
    Doug Peacock
    Greta Thunberg
    Captain Paul Watson
    Richard Manning
    Bill McKibben
    Terry Tempest Williams
    Edward O. Wilson

"Hope is not the conviction that things will turn out well.  Hope is doing what makes sense no matter how things turn out."
    I feel like all of this stuff equates to maybe taking a Dixie cup and trying to put out your California wildfires…that is where I get discouraged.  
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,797
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

Wendell Berry
    Doug Peacock
    Greta Thunberg
    Captain Paul Watson
    Richard Manning
    Bill McKibben
    Terry Tempest Williams
    Edward O. Wilson

I feel like all of this stuff equates to maybe taking a Dixie cup and trying to put out your California wildfires…that is where I get discouraged.  

I can see and appreciate that.  On the other hand, 7,750,000,000* Dixie cups of water would put out a LOT of fires!

*Approximate world population today is 7.753 billion people.

• Options

Disposable face masks lead to more microplastics in waterways: Canadian study

Yeah! Sure climate change is reversible…nothing will ever change until humans realize THEY ARE the problem…100%.  Can’t even dispose of their disgusting face-mask properly…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Adios,

The all-purpose, heavy duty Global Warming/ Climate Change thread.

I'm done here.  Too depressing. Too negative.  Too hopeless.
    Fuck it.

• Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited October 2021
    Brian, if you can swing it...just thank people for whatever contribution they make to this thread, positive or negative, and continue to spread your own message. We need your view on this subject. And thank you for that list of environmentalists who still give you hope! 

Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Adios,

Fuck it.

We have 2 doomsday preppers in the group.  For the most part we are doing our part and helping out.

Something I was wondering.  With all the housing problems.  High-rises have to be mass polluters, no?

I envision govt making companies build things more sustainable and recyclable.  I also envision 6 recycle bins.

Metal, plastic, glass, paper, food, landfill.  That last one would be changed over time to one of the other 5...
  • Options
    Brian, if you can swing it...just thank people for whatever contribution they make to this thread, positive or negative, and continue to spread your own message. We need your view on this subject. And thank you for that list of environmentalists who still give you hope! 

brianlux said:
    Adios,

Fuck it.

We have 2 doomsday preppers in the group.  For the most part we are doing our part and helping out.

Something I was wondering.  With all the housing problems.  High-rises have to be mass polluters, no?

I envision govt making companies build things more sustainable and recyclable.  I also envision 6 recycle bins.

Metal, plastic, glass, paper, food, landfill.  That last one would be changed over time to one of the other 5...

OK!  We're back on track.  
    It only makes sense to keep trying.
    Thanks for keeping it good!
    Hugs, high fives, and if you must, kiss, kiss, haha!

• Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    Adios,

Fuck it.

:joy::smiley::joy: 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    Adios,

Fuck it.

I am what I am, i'm a man, I'm a man and so is Briaaaan Lux, LL U X, Luuuuux. (Sang in the key of Lola)

But I'll take that kiss, what the hell.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    Adios,

Fuck it.

:joy::smiley::joy: 
    :plus_one:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    Adios,

Fuck it.

I am what I am, i'm a man, I'm a man and so is Briaaaan Lux, LL U X, Luuuuux. (Sang in the key of Lola)

But I'll take that kiss, what the hell.

Mmmmmmmmmwaaahh!  :lol:

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    NANDI BUSHELL + ROMAN MORELLO RALLY FOR CLIMATE CHANGE IN STAR-FILLED ‘THE CHILDREN WILL RISE UP’ VIDEO
    Published: October 8, 2021

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Kat said:
    NANDI BUSHELL + ROMAN MORELLO RALLY FOR CLIMATE CHANGE IN STAR-FILLED ‘THE CHILDREN WILL RISE UP’ VIDEO
    Published: October 8, 2021

Awwwright!  Kids know!

• Options
  • Options

• Options

California to ban gas-powered lawn mowers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, generators

https://nationalpost.com/news/california-to-ban-gas-powered-lawnmowers-leafblowers-chainsaws-generators?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1634148329-1

This is a great idea…

I have a rechargeable lawn mower, weed whacker and leaf blower, next year it will be a cordless chainsaw, holy shit are they nice.  I like the worx brand…the batteries are all interchangeable.  I hate gas mowers…noisy and fucking stinky.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

https://nationalpost.com/news/california-to-ban-gas-powered-lawnmowers-leafblowers-chainsaws-generators?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1634148329-1

This is a great idea…

I have a rechargeable lawn mower, weed whacker and leaf blower, next year it will be a cordless chainsaw, holy shit are they nice.  I like the worx brand…the batteries are all interchangeable.  I hate gas mowers…noisy and fucking stinky.

Fantastic!  I really would love to say goodby to "noisy and fucking stinky" gas powered shit like that!

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

This is a great idea…

It's a great idea, and it's something which should be done to all gas vehicles, after sufficient investment in e-infrastructure.

Ironically, the companies with the best existing infrastructure to modify for recharging electric vehicles, are the oil companies. And the companies with the best existing infrastructure to modify to manufacturing electric vehicles, are the auto companies. Brave moves like Ford's will catalyze the demand for recharging stations, which hopefully proliferate quickly so the auto industry can jump on the Ford bandwagon. Seems to me in the case of climate change, business-led progress is a carrot, while government-led progress is a stick.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    edited October 2021
    benjs said:

This is a great idea…

It's a great idea, and it's something which should be done to all gas vehicles, after sufficient investment in e-infrastructure.

Ironically, the companies with the best existing infrastructure to modify for recharging electric vehicles, are the oil companies. And the companies with the best existing infrastructure to modify to manufacturing electric vehicles, are the auto companies. Brave moves like Ford's will catalyze the demand for recharging stations, which hopefully proliferate quickly so the auto industry can jump on the Ford bandwagon. Seems to me in the case of climate change, business-led progress is a carrot, while government-led progress is a stick.
    That will be the key. In bigger cities there are already some charging stations, but once you get out in the rural areas, it is non existent. The closest city to my house that has public charging ports in 16 miles away, and they only have a couple of ports. The next closest town that has them is 40 miles away, and they only have a couple as well.
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on