Julian Assange Arrested.

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    dignin said:
    So apparently peoples perceptions of others has to stay static forever, no matter what comes to light.

I guess none of you liked Bill Cosby, Louis C.K, Kevin Spacey, OJ Simpson or anyone like that at any period of time. I guess you always knew deep down inside something was wrong.

Twilight Zone indeed.

jeffbr said:
    dignin said:
    pjhawks said:
    dignin said:
    So apparently peoples perceptions of others has to stay static forever, no matter what comes to light.

I guess none of you liked Bill Cosby, Louis C.K, Kevin Spacey, OJ Simpson or anyone like that at any period of time. I guess you always knew deep down inside something was wrong.

Twilight Zone indeed.
    the difference is people applauded what Assange was doing when it suited their needs. no one every applauded Cosby, Louis C.K or Kevin Spacey for sexual assault and no one applauded OJ for being a murderer.  Assange from the beginning was being applauded for dealing with stolen documents. 
    Maybe some people departed the Assange bandwagon when he was accused of rape. 
    Raises hand. I've changed my opinion on Assange for 2 reasons 1) he's a fucking rapist

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited April 2019
    My2Hands has it all wrong. The change in how people view Assange isn't about Trump at all. Before, the leaks were about keeping the citizens informed in an unbiased way - it was a revolt against the military complex hiding truth from the tax payers and those who suffer at its hands. It also drew attention to the plight of brave whistleblowers with good intentions. But when Assange changed it from that righteous cause to his own personal political egoism, and started cherry picking just to serve that end, that is when many people turned against him. He actually turned on them and abandoned his own principles (I still don't get why). They responded appropriately IMO. That is 100% why my own views changed about him. His own motives changed, so of course my feelings about him did too. Trump literally played no part in this part of the equation. The only way Trump factors in is that it informed us of just how fucking immoral and anti-American and unprincipled he is. The Wikileaks thing is what really got the ball rolling for him in terms of siding with Russia over America.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:

Twilight Zone indeed.

Thanks for quoting that Cap, do you have a comment?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    benjs said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    Exposing corruption- good.  Molestation/ sexual crimes- bad.  What a drag when someone does both.
    We assume guilt now based on an accusation? I thought we liked the rule of law. He has never been tried, or convicted, and i believe Swedem dropped the investigation a few years ago. If he did it, burn him, but i see people acting like the man is definitely a rapist when he hasnt even been charged. I guess we just assume guilt now, interesting time.
    One set of charges was dropped because of the years passed and the limit of whatever its called had been reached. That is not saying he is not guilty. 

The other investigation was dropped because they assumed he would not leave his cowardly asylum-bullshit. That is not saying he is not guilty. 

And a message board is not a court, common sense and your own thinking of the matter plays in and can play in to your opinion/conclusion. And not a strict "innocent until proven guilty" that is used in the courts for a reason in that context. Do you consider Cosby innocent of 999 cases of rape because he was just charged for 1? Would you consider that kid on the playground your child said hit him/her innocent because he had not been found guilty in a court of law? Weird that has to be explained to someone not being Tucker Carlson.
    You don't have to explain shit to me Swede... you keep saying "that is not saying he is not guilty"...... it also isn't saying he IS guilty.... and I've seen several on here say they hate him because he's a rapist or refer to.him as a rapist...... call me when he's tried and convicted, and if he is let him rot in a cell for it, but until then none of us knows if he did anything at all
    Point out anyone saying he has been found guilty in court?

Or, re-read my post. You don't seem to grasp it, so maybe "bother" some more. lol
    Maybe you haven't seen them on here, but I'm 100% certain that in the past few days, at least one member has stated definitively something along the lines of changing opinions upon learning that he's a rapist. I don't think that means the collective "we" feel that way as m2h implies (I certainly don't and am all for due process), but there's some truth behind it. 
    This might coming from english not being my first language, but what are you actually telling me here? I don't really get the meaning on this post in relations to my post. *smiley with the monocle*
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    my2hands said:
    jeffbr said:
    dignin said:
    pjhawks said:
    dignin said:

Twilight Zone indeed.
    the difference is people applauded what Assange was doing when it suited their needs. no one every applauded Cosby, Louis C.K or Kevin Spacey for sexual assault and no one applauded OJ for being a murderer.  Assange from the beginning was being applauded for dealing with stolen documents. 
    Raises hand. I've changed my opinion on Assange for 2 reasons 1) he's a fucking rapist

You forgot to list my 2nd reason. I'm not putting all of my eggs in the rapist basket. This guy was a freedom of information fighter and I appreciated and supported that. Transparency in govt and all that. But the allegations against him in Sweden were significant in terms of the way I thought about him, and he clearly was involved at some level with Russia (and some of Trump's campaign), working in a way that appeared to be aiding Russia in their meddling with the 2016 US elections. So yes, my opinion of the guy has changed. If your's hasn't, perhaps you need to figure out why you are so rigid in your beliefs, even with changing data and circumstances.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    Exposing corruption- good.  Molestation/ sexual crimes- bad.  What a drag when someone does both.
    We assume guilt now based on an accusation? I thought we liked the rule of law. He has never been tried, or convicted, and i believe Swedem dropped the investigation a few years ago. If he did it, burn him, but i see people acting like the man is definitely a rapist when he hasnt even been charged. I guess we just assume guilt now, interesting time.
    That's right, bud.  Hang 'em first, ask questions later.

No, seriously, I guess I got my story wrong.  I somehow thought he was already proven guilty.  If not, let him go!  If guilty, assign proper punishment.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

jeffbr said:
    my2hands said:
    jeffbr said:
    dignin said:
    pjhawks said:
    dignin said:

Twilight Zone indeed.

You forgot to list my 2nd reason. I'm not putting all of my eggs in the rapist basket. This guy was a freedom of information fighter and I appreciated and supported that. Transparency in govt and all that. But the allegations against him in Sweden were significant in terms of the way I thought about him, and he clearly was involved at some level with Russia (and some of Trump's campaign), working in a way that appeared to be aiding Russia in their meddling with the 2016 US elections. So yes, my opinion of the guy has changed. If your's hasn't, perhaps you need to figure out why you are so rigid in your beliefs, even with changing data and circumstances.
    I was not quoting you or dignin to challenge you, i was doing it to show Spiritual that people said they flipped on him because of the allegations, which apparently he miseed in this thread

Carry on with the hanging
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,480
    Add alleged blackmailer to his list of potential crimes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/12/world/europe/ecuador-assange-wikileaks.html

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    edited April 2019
    my2hands said:
    jeffbr said:
    my2hands said:
    jeffbr said:
    dignin said:
    pjhawks said:
    dignin said:

Twilight Zone indeed.

I was not quoting you or dignin to challenge you, i was doing it to show Spiritual that people said they flipped on him because of the allegations, which apparently he miseed in this thread

Carry on with the hanging
    And why would I have missed that?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    https://twitter.com/mollyjongfast/status/1116737915349020673?s=21
    Can’t wait to we get to the bottom of pizza gate lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    He should answer to the Swedish charges. The US charges are just political charges and he’s about to become a political prisoner.  The US is one corrupt country that this guy, Chelsea Manning and Snowden has exposed them as...

anyone who exposes corruption within government is fine with me...
    No, they’re criminal charges. But I’d be fine with having him stand trial in Sweden, serve his time if convicted and then face extradition to the US to face trial. 
    Bullshit...they are political charges.  The US is getting Just as corrupt as the banana republics you go to war with every few years...take of your star spangled glasses.  You like your government spying on you...home of the free my ass.  Home of the corrupt is more like it.

Seems you know something the rest of us don't.   What are the US charges levied against Assange? 

Because I haven't seen that published anywhere.  Do tell....
    nm...found it

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edva/pr/wikileaks-founder-charged-computer-hacking-conspiracy

"federal charge of conspiracy to commit computer intrusion for agreeing to break a password to a classified U.S. government computer.

According to court documents unsealed today, the charge relates to Assange’s alleged role in one of the largest compromises of classified information in the history of the United States.

The indictment alleges that in March 2010, Assange engaged in a conspiracy with Chelsea Manning, a former intelligence analyst in the U.S. Army, to assist Manning in cracking a password stored on U.S. Department of Defense computers"

Does not sound political.  Sounds like an enemy combatant.

So should the NSA, CIA, FBI all be arrested too?   Just ironic we can arrest people for doing what our government does to other countries.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    He should answer to the Swedish charges. The US charges are just political charges and he’s about to become a political prisoner.  The US is one corrupt country that this guy, Chelsea Manning and Snowden has exposed them as...

No, they’re criminal charges. But I’d be fine with having him stand trial in Sweden, serve his time if convicted and then face extradition to the US to face trial. 
    Bullshit...they are political charges.  The US is getting Just as corrupt as the banana republics you go to war with every few years...take of your star spangled glasses.  You like your government spying on you...home of the free my ass.  Home of the corrupt is more like it.

Seems you know something the rest of us don't.   What are the US charges levied against Assange? 

nm...found it

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edva/pr/wikileaks-founder-charged-computer-hacking-conspiracy

"federal charge of conspiracy to commit computer intrusion for agreeing to break a password to a classified U.S. government computer.

According to court documents unsealed today, the charge relates to Assange’s alleged role in one of the largest compromises of classified information in the history of the United States.

The indictment alleges that in March 2010, Assange engaged in a conspiracy with Chelsea Manning, a former intelligence analyst in the U.S. Army, to assist Manning in cracking a password stored on U.S. Department of Defense computers"

So should the NSA, CIA, FBI all be arrested too?   Just ironic we can arrest people for doing what our government does to other countries.
    Exactly.  Apparently, Americans are OK with being paranoid about other foreign countries, but when it comes to their own country spying on their own people, reporting the truth about some of the incidence that killed many innocents in their BS war in the middle east...that's classified, when in reality it's a coverup.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

nm...found it

That’s an odd comparison. Governments are generally seen as having different powers and legal standing than private citizens in all sorts of matters. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,480
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

nm...found it

Arrest everyone at google too?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/13/us/google-location-tracking-police.html
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

nm...found it

might have been different had wiki not  uploaded EVERYTHING in their possession from theft.

Once caught Manning owned her actions and was accountable for those actions. Fuckwit doesnt seem to have it in him.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    If someone brakes into a safe takes a document and hands it over to a reporter to publish the reporter is not a criminal for it , but if the reporter gives the combo to criminal to open the safe that’s conspiring to a crime ...
    Assange is criminally liable because he helped in the process of braking into computers to steal private info ! That’s a crime no ? 
    Assange is criminally liable because he helped in the process of braking into computers to steal private info ! That’s a crime no ? 
    I'll always side with the person who exposes government corruption and coverups.  I'll answer your question with a question... "is it a crime to be in possession of stolen files and information that the government obtained through sketchy practices"?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

nm...found it

That’s an odd comparison. Governments are generally seen as having different powers and legal standing than private citizens in all sorts of matters. 

Like secretly mass spying and recording communications of innocent unknowing citizens for decades?

You guys probably think Edward Snowden is a traitor that should be thrown in a cell? Lol

I'll always side with the person who exposes government corruption and coverups.  I'll answer your question with a question... "is it a crime to be in possession of stolen files and information that the government obtained through sketchy practices"?
    That’s not what this is about thought it’s about him and yes I’d say yes to your ? I’ll ask again if you gave the combination to your neighbors house to a thief are you complicit? 
    mickeyrat said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

nm...found it

might have been different had wiki not  uploaded EVERYTHING in their possession from theft.

Once caught Manning owned her actions and was accountable for those actions. Fuckwit doesnt seem to have it in him.
    Do you really believe she accepted accountability?  If that's the case why is she sitting in a jail cell since early March refusing to answer questions in front of a grand jury?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mickeyrat said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

nm...found it

Do you really believe she accepted accountability?  If that's the case why is she sitting in a jail cell since early March refusing to answer questions in front of a grand jury?
    sure she has, for her case. for refusing regarding his, she is a damned fool.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
        Julian Assange Sentenced to 50 Weeks in British Prison
    https://news.yahoo.com/julian-assange-sentenced-50-weeks-104440137.html
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I am on the fence with this guy.
    Some people say the rape charges are false accusations just to get him extradited to the US and some people say they are true accusations.
    Who to believe?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Some people say the rape charges are false accusations just to get him extradited to the US and some people say they are true accusations.
    Who to believe?
    one, give the victims the benefit of the doubt to start. investigate thoroughly and if charges can be sustained, believe a jury or a judge after trial.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    mickeyrat said:
    Who to believe?
    one, give the victims the benefit of the doubt to start. investigate thoroughly and if charges can be sustained, believe a jury or a judge after trial.
    Yeah I agree. Always made me doubt him when he didn't want to face trial but then I was thinking if the accusations are false then I understand why he sought refuge in the Ecuadorian embassy. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    mickeyrat said:
    Who to believe?
    Yeah I agree. Always made me doubt him when he didn't want to face trial but then I was thinking if the accusations are false then I understand why he sought refuge in the Ecuadorian embassy. 
    further, extradition isnt guaranteed.  A possibility yes. Even probable. but not a dead cert.

Who to believe?
    ... take a guess...