Options

Are we done?

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    DewieCox said:
    They’ve said they’ll do it til they can’t any longer in the past. No reason to think the plan is any different. They’ve been in legacy mode for  a decade now. Don’t know why everybody’s so shocked. There’s been doom and gloom that they were finished since I started regularing the boards around 2000.
    I think people are shocked because they were given a new single from a “forthcoming album” and now find out there is no more new music at the moment and for the foreseeable future. 
    Lightning bolt was 5 years ago.
    when was the last time Ed put out a solo album even. The well is dry my friend. That’s cause for concern.
    Can’t Deny Me was just more writing on the wall imo. Just a lazy song.

I just don’t think the band is completely done or even in that much of a different place than they have been for a decade.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    goldrush said:
    They should play 20 dates a year and release singles and EPs.

Releasing EPs is a great idea.
    Or even digital singles like Can't Deny Me. The music business is so different today, you don't have to put out albums like you did in the past. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I don't think they're done at all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    CahootsCahoots Posts: 140
    Just to clarify, I don't think there is any "hand wringing" or eager anticipation for finality.  

The  original question was contemplating how this  band closes the books.  Do they do it like REM did? Or do they they let it ride on without investment and revisit with out creative purpose.  

As an early fan who has had the privilege of watching this band since its inception the experience has always been most compelling when there was creative activity and new stuff on the horizon.   I clearly remember the development of a fan community that salivated over and shared:  fan bootlegs (on tape!), studio leaks, radio bits and pending tour gossip.  Many of us used to check Five Horizons Rumour Pit daily (or hourly) for tour tidbits, setlists, poster images and torrent links, and there was a real sense of passion for the next thing.  

I still check in here and google news search Pearl Jam a few times a week.  As I'm sure you know, the results are either a regular click bait regurgitation blog (you know who you are) or formal news that indicates the band is ready to go and the singer is gone. 

Its great EV is touring and if he tours the north west ill go for sure.   But I sure wish he wasn't touring because he was busy in studio.

In many ways my preference for an end would be a thoughtful disbandment that capped the book of Pearl Jam.  Maybe I feel that way so I have a reason to stop looking and being disappointed that there isn't anything to stoke thrill of anticipation.

I dunno, maybe i'm just bored with Pearl Jam and that sucks.
    Cahoots

1992 VAN
    1993 VAN
    1998 Missoula
    2000 Barcelona & Boise
    2002 SEA 2x
    2003 VAN
    2005 VAN, Calgary, Edmonton & Saskatoon
    2006 The Gorge
    2009 SEA & VAN
    2011 VAN
    2013 Portland & VAN
    2015 Mexico City
    2018 Missoula
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    Kusy said:
    Musicians say various things esp. during gigs, that they'll be back, the new stuff sounds great etc. Most of the time it's only PR small talk. Don't take it serious - speaking as a guy working in concert promotion ;) 
    “We ll never not play Boise again.”  Ev, Boise, Idaho 2000 (last time pj played Boise)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    Cahoots said:
    Just to clarify, I don't think there is any "hand wringing" or eager anticipation for finality.  

The  original question was contemplating how this  band closes the books.  Do they do it like REM did? Or do they they let it ride on without investment and revisit with out creative purpose.  

As an early fan who has had the privilege of watching this band since its inception the experience has always been most compelling when there was creative activity and new stuff on the horizon.   I clearly remember the development of a fan community that salivated over and shared:  fan bootlegs (on tape!), studio leaks, radio bits and pending tour gossip.  Many of us used to check Five Horizons Rumour Pit daily (or hourly) for tour tidbits, setlists, poster images and torrent links, and there was a real sense of passion for the next thing.  

I still check in here and google news search Pearl Jam a few times a week.  As I'm sure you know, the results are either a regular click bait regurgitation blog (you know who you are) or formal news that indicates the band is ready to go and the singer is gone. 

Its great EV is touring and if he tours the north west ill go for sure.   But I sure wish he wasn't touring because he was busy in studio.

In many ways my preference for an end would be a thoughtful disbandment that capped the book of Pearl Jam.  Maybe I feel that way so I have a reason to stop looking and being disappointed that there isn't anything to stoke thrill of anticipation.

I dunno, maybe i'm just bored with Pearl Jam and that sucks.
    Just imagine not hearing Present Tense live again....I'm not ready to go there
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    CahootsCahoots Posts: 140
    mcgruff10 said:
    Kusy said:
    Musicians say various things esp. during gigs, that they'll be back, the new stuff sounds great etc. Most of the time it's only PR small talk. Don't take it serious - speaking as a guy working in concert promotion ;) 
    “We ll never not play Boise again.”  Ev, Boise, Idaho 2000 (last time pj played Boise)
    I was there and I'm never going back to Boise either!   The beer line up was ridiculous and the whole Idaho white nationalist skin head / knuckle head/ pro gun vibe was horrid!  Who boos Pearl Jam????  
    Cahoots

1992 VAN
    1993 VAN
    1998 Missoula
    2000 Barcelona & Boise
    2002 SEA 2x
    2003 VAN
    2005 VAN, Calgary, Edmonton & Saskatoon
    2006 The Gorge
    2009 SEA & VAN
    2011 VAN
    2013 Portland & VAN
    2015 Mexico City
    2018 Missoula
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    Cahoots said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Kusy said:
    I was there and I'm never going back to Boise either!   The beer line up was ridiculous and the whole Idaho white nationalist skin head / knuckle head/ pro gun vibe was horrid!  Who boos Pearl Jam????  
    Dumb people. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,880
    No
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    Cahoots said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Kusy said:
    They booed pearl jam?!  I thought that was one of their best shows of the tour.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    EA17313EA17313 Posts: 62
    They won't quit. The money is too good. They can deny that and perhaps they once were not about that (at least, Ed wasn't), but it's mostly about the money now. As long as we're willing to pack arenas for a hundred-plus bucks a head, they will keep touring. Also, as far as live performances are concerned, I feel like they peaked in 2013. They haven't released a great studio album in over two decades. I'm not trying to troll either, I've been a die hard fan since 1992 when I was in the fifth grade! Sometimes bands just get stale. If they break up now, I will always love them. If they don't break up, I will always stick with them, no matter how underwhelming their new records might be. I'm a bond coupon for these guys. 
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 906
    EA17313 said:
    They won't quit. The money is too good. They can deny that and perhaps they once were not about that (at least, Ed wasn't), but it's mostly about the money now. As long as we're willing to pack arenas for a hundred-plus bucks a head, they will keep touring. Also, as far as live performances are concerned, I feel like they peaked in 2003. They haven't released a great studio album in over two decades. I'm not trying to troll either, I've been a die hard fan since 1992 when I was in the fifth grade! Sometimes bands just get stale. If they break up now, I will always love them. If they don't break up, I will always stick with them, no matter how underwhelming their new records might be. I'm a bond coupon for these guys. 
    Fixed that for ya
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    edited March 2019
    KN219077 said:
    EA17313 said:
    They won't quit. The money is too good. They can deny that and perhaps they once were not about that (at least, Ed wasn't), but it's mostly about the money now. As long as we're willing to pack arenas for a hundred-plus bucks a head, they will keep touring. Also, as far as live performances are concerned, I feel like they peaked in 2003. They haven't released a great studio album in over two decades. I'm not trying to troll either, I've been a die hard fan since 1992 when I was in the fifth grade! Sometimes bands just get stale. If they break up now, I will always love them. If they don't break up, I will always stick with them, no matter how underwhelming their new records might be. I'm a bond coupon for these guys. 
    Fixed that for ya
    I think I got banned from posting for a while on here for "fixing" someone's quote in as obvious a context as you did. So watch out. 

And it should be 2006, not 2003.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887

Record Store Day Announcement:          

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish ! ! !

10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 191
    Maybe he wants to be a dad first, a husband second and an entertainer third. 

Not that I am an entertainer but that is exactly what I would do.

If I was in my mid 50's and knew that I was financially set for the rest of my life, I sure as hell wouldn't be working all the time.  Even if I loved my job enough to stick around post-retirement, I would totally go into part-time status and be a full-time dad and husband instead.

Granted, I don't think they are done.  Just the frequency of them being Pearl Jam is going to be less and less as time goes on.

I like the theory of a concept album but I also love concept albums so....

Of course this is all my opinion.  I am probably totally wrong.
    - ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,853
    mcgruff10 said:
    Cahoots said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Kusy said:
    The guy in front of me gave Eddie the finger at Fenway anytime he said anything political or unifying. He held his hand up of at least 20 minutes one time. He also let his friends in his row which was only 4 long as it was pushing a solo fan out. Luckily we had an no show beside us and he slipped in there.  Ignorant people are everywhere. 
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 906
    KN219077 said:
    EA17313 said:
    Fixed that for ya
    I think I got banned from posting for a while on here for "fixing" someone's quote in as obvious a context as you did. So watch out. 

And it should be 2006, not 2003.
    Thanks for the heads up, it was done all in good fun. 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,990
    edited March 2019
    hadfiiw said:

If I was in my mid 50's and knew that I was financially set for the rest of my life, I sure as hell wouldn't be working all the time.  Even if I loved my job enough to stick around post-retirement, I would totally go into part-time status and be a full-time dad and husband instead.

Granted, I don't think they are done.  Just the frequency of them being Pearl Jam is going to be less and less as time goes on.

Yeah, I mean, no one here who isn't employed by the band will truly know the truth. But he seems like a sensitive guy. We can read his lyrics and we get a sense of his worldview. He knows how life goes. Its short. Hes lost family and friends and knows it gets taken way like *snap* that. Since he became a family man, it appears he puts them first as well as his interests, as he should. I don't think its unreasonable to assume he wants to spend as much time with them as possible (probably all the band members too). And I think we're kinda acting like entitled fans demanding/expecting albums and tours.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    hadfiiw said:

Yeah, I mean, no one here who isn't employed by the band will truly know the truth. But he seems like a sensitive guy. We can read his lyrics and we get a sense of his worldview. He knows how life goes. Its short. Hes lost family and friends and knows it gets taken way like *snap* that. Since he became a family man, it appears he puts them first as well as his interests, as he should. I don't think its unreasonable to assume he wants to spend as much time with them as possible (probably all the band members too). And I think we're kinda acting like entitled fans demanding/expecting albums and tours.

I personally am not demanding anything and don't think most are. I just think that if someone is a musician they might make new music every now and then, and if they did that would be cool. Ed has long talked about how music, in his words, saved his life. So it's just weird that he, of late, has little interest in it.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    hadfiiw said:

Thank you for this. 
    NewJPage said:
    hadfiiw said:

I personally am not demanding anything and don't think most are. I just think that if someone is a musician they might make new music every now and then, and if they did that would be cool. Ed has long talked about how music, in his words, saved his life. So it's just weird that he, of late, has little interest in it.
    I don't know that we really know that he has no interest.  I'm an artist.  I get that sometimes you create things that you don't share.  There are several reasons for that.  I need not spill out paragraphs about it, but we don't know and perhaps we won't know.  That's okay with me.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    There's a lot of leaps being made in this thread, and a lot of other ones across this board. We get what we get in life. I'm glad that the members of the band are all out there working on their various projects at the moment, and I look forward to them reuniting for more shows down the line, and hopefully an album sooner than later. But I certainly won't be allowing myself to get upset if it takes another 6 years to arrive.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 941
    There's a lot of leaps being made in this thread, and a lot of other ones across this board. We get what we get in life. I'm glad that the members of the band are all out there working on their various projects at the moment, and I look forward to them reuniting for more shows down the line, and hopefully an album sooner than later. But I certainly won't be allowing myself to get upset if it takes another 6 years to arrive.
    This is the best way I’d be able to put it. All things considered, this band has done a lot of work in almost 30 years of existence. How many bands even last that long without a break up? As far as new music goes, I’d love it but new music at this point won't define the band. They wouldn’t be writing new music to put out singles or stay relevant. New music will come when they are in a good place and motivated. I’m okay waiting for that because they have so much content out there to dig into between albums and bootlegs, years and years of bootlegs to listen to from so many different eras. At this point anything new is more icing on a cake that still tastes great after all this time.
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011

I don't begrudge the band for one second if they decide to hang it up tomorrow and say no more tours or albums. I've been a fan of their music for 25+ years and appreciate all they've done for us fans - but if that's the case, stop selling us a membership that includes tickets for shows that don't happen anywhere near us for more than a decade, and not sending us what we paid for 2 years ago. I don't think that's an unfair "demand" or "expectation." It's just the right thing to do. 
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    NewJPage said:
    The fact that it seems like Ed is less interested, is in turn making me less interested.. 
    i desigree complitely with the first part of your post.
    You think it's Stone?! Matt?! 

Jeff and Mike both said they're ready.. 
    Ed has released 1 song in 5 1/2 years. All the other guys are active
    i disagree with both comments..like FULLY disagree..

You heard it here last!
    You know where you hear it next...
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    I see bands as having two sides.   The studio side and the live side.  We've all seen it with many legendary bands of days gone bay.  The studio side starts to wane, but it's ok because the live side still goes strong.

I like that Pearl Jam never feels the need to break up then make up.  They don't do large press conferences to announce hiatus'.   If they're not into it they take a brake.  When they're into it they go out and hit the road.

I don't really see it stopping.  I always assumed if they got too old to rock out that we'd get acoustic tours or something :)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Cahoots said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Kusy said:
    Boise was one of six shows I hit on that west coast leg.  Boise was amazing!  I don't remember any booing.  That boot needs a recent listen... it's been too long.
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    Can’t wait to read ‘Pearl Jam is done’ on Alternative Press. :P
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,655
    edited March 2019

Didn’t Ed say this past tour that he was excited about the new stuff that pj was working on and that it’s sounding good? I could have sworn he said that in Seattle. Anyone confirm?

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,655
    edited March 2019
    Zod said:
    I see bands as having two sides.   The studio side and the live side.  We've all seen it with many legendary bands of days gone bay.  The studio side starts to wane, but it's ok because the live side still goes strong.

I like that Pearl Jam never feels the need to break up then make up.  They don't do large press conferences to announce hiatus'.   If they're not into it they take a brake.  When they're into it they go out and hit the road.

I don't really see it stopping.  I always assumed if they got too old to rock out that we'd get acoustic tours or something :)
    Except the live side isn't still going strong either. I personally believe there is something "wrong" with Eddie. He's not creating anymore and hasn't for a long time, while all the other members are, elsewhere. I don't know if what is going on with him is good with him or bad, but something's definitely up. Musicians of his caliber don't stop producing like this for no reason at all. But anyway, unless EV does an interview where he literally says straight up what the deal is, we'll never know. And we know that interview isn't happening, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata