Options

Are we done?

Comments

• Options
    jeffbr said:
    Excuse the irony, but someone please END this thread. "Are we done?" is not valid; Pearl Jam are obviously not done yet, they're active and working on a new record. Vedder is playing live this summer. What more could you fucking want? And don't show up if you don't like buying limited edition merch or attending shows at ballparks. Simple. 
    Vedder playing live this summer is not indicative one way or another about the health or status of the band. The only thing it indicates is that he is not involved with the band this summer. Vedder solo will happen even if the band officially hangs it up. We hope they're working on a new record, and have had plenty of contradictory quotes from different band members over the past few months. I'm thinking that something is being done, but they were also actively working on their forthcoming album over a year ago, so who knows? What other indications are there that they are an active band? And thanks for the advice about skipping ballparks/stadiums. I took that advice this past summer.

You didn't go to the home shows?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    I love that vacation is so hard for everyone on this board.  Consider me jealous, I haven’t had a day off in over a year now, and I’ve been working 70 hours a week for the last 80 days.  I’ll trade with someone so that they can work and I can have an exhausting vacation.
    No salary is worth that. I'd find somewhere else to work if I had 70+ hour work weeks and no days off in over a year.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,896
    jeffbr said:
    Excuse the irony, but someone please END this thread. "Are we done?" is not valid; Pearl Jam are obviously not done yet, they're active and working on a new record. Vedder is playing live this summer. What more could you fucking want? And don't show up if you don't like buying limited edition merch or attending shows at ballparks. Simple. 
    What other indications are there that they are an active band? 
    20 + shows in the past 10 months? And 2 band members saying that they have a bunch of songs ready?  I know it's not enough for most (I want new music too and more shows) but saying they aren't active might be pushing it a bit.  
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    jeffbr said:
    Vedder playing live this summer is not indicative one way or another about the health or status of the band. The only thing it indicates is that he is not involved with the band this summer. Vedder solo will happen even if the band officially hangs it up. We hope they're working on a new record, and have had plenty of contradictory quotes from different band members over the past few months. I'm thinking that something is being done, but they were also actively working on their forthcoming album over a year ago, so who knows? What other indications are there that they are an active band? And thanks for the advice about skipping ballparks/stadiums. I took that advice this past summer.

No, and it was a tough decision. First time I have intentionally not gone to a show here in Seattle. But for the dollars I would have spent, it funded seeing a LOT of other shows locally at smaller venues, supporting bands who are up and coming, etc... Mostly I have no desire to see PJ or any other band in a stadium from 1/2 mile away with a potentially obstructed view. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The value wasn't there for me. I participated in buying PJ homeshow stuff where charitable donations were made (beer, bourbon, chocolate. Missed the wine). But didn't do the show. Hopefully they'll do a residency here once the new arena is built in 2021.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    LizJLizJ Posts: 335
    I know that starting this topic did not intend saying that it actually is over. But as I read through the comments it made me want to add the thought that creating music is art. I respect and admire this aspect and therefore I’m grateful for what they’ve given to us/shared with us so far. Guess you can’t force inspiration or creativity. So I’ll just hope for more to come. Until then I can still enjoy what’s already there. Not tired of the “old” stuff and rediscovering songs that didn’t catch my attention before. 
  • Options
    Who gives a flying fuck? Money is supposed to make their itinerary less exhausting? Yeah, I am the complete opposite of the spectrum and it's because I'm tired of all the piss-poor fucking attitudes around here.  You all sit here behind your keyboards acting like demanding little babies and like you know what the fuck band members think and feel and how they should act and what schedule they should be on and who is with them and on and on.  Bunch of spoiled fucking brats.  No single member nor the collective of this band owes you a fucking thing.  We'll  get a fucking album when they're damn well good and ready.
    This is just true. True, true, true.

Having said that (and meaning it) I would like to say that it would be easier to be patient if there was a little more communication from the Ten Club as to what's happening. I feel like being in a club kind of means that you get the inside scoop.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    jeffbr said:
    What other indications are there that they are an active band? 
    20 + shows in the past 10 months? And 2 band members saying that they have a bunch of songs ready?  I know it's not enough for most (I want new music too and more shows) but saying they aren't active might be pushing it a bit.  

If 2019 is an off year as it appears, that will be 26 shows over a nearly 3.5 year period. 

They may have new songs ready but the band publicly promised a new album was "forthcoming" over a year ago. Hence there was false anticipation that 2019 would be an active year. I wouldn't call that "pushing."
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    edited April 2019

So the latest Pearl Jam poster is for a museum exhibit.  Yep, they are done :)

Props to the Mods for letting this stay open.

• Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 613
    edited April 2019
    Anyone else feel slightly pathetic when they even check these boards anymore? At least in regards to maybe running across a rumor from a reliable source or something along those lines? I feel like I’m back in my early 20’s again coming home and checking my answering machine in the hopes that a girl I really liked might call back at some point. Only it’s been like 6 weeks and she’s moved on. Although at this point I’ve accepted it’s essentially over here, just check in from time to time in the hopes that by some miracle I’m wrong and there are new album rumors, or a legit touring itinerary, not some random one off shows on the horizon. I think we need to move on, sucks but a lot of us, myself included are living in the past with this band. We’re probably missing something exciting and relevant in the present with our never ending desire for this band of nearly 30 years to suddenly revert to something they haven’t been in 15 years. Regardless it was a phenomenal run and I’ll be there for the next round of one off shows or whatever else. But if your expecting a great new album and a show anywhere in your vicinity anytime soon your wasting your time. 
    Post edited by lastexit78 on
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    edited April 2019
    This thread should end.  It’s coming.  And if you’re getting all down on new music you have yet to even hear, then maybe you should move on.
    Post edited by Deadman on
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,766
    It's getting expensive but it is also getting irritating.  I don't care for baseball stadium shows, sick of merch lines....ridiculous to wait that long for one fucking shirt that you like or one poster, love the hype...just not liking the pattern

IMO...if the band did more shows, people would be less likely to travel 1000+ miles to see the band at some destination city.

Take 2010 for example...they did a number of smaller cities (Columbus, Cleveland, Indy, Buffalo) plus they also did a couple shows in the Boston area and two in NYC. You could do a mini-tour of those four cities or do the mess of NYC.

From a band standpoint, they do two shows and sell as many tickets as they would for 4-6 or however-many shows.

The other bad habit the band has is announcing one continent at a time. Take 2018 for example...they announced several shows in South America. Everyone rushed to buy tickets. Then, they announced several shows in Europe. Everyone made a mad dash for tickets, including people in SA who got shut out because Europeans were also buying tickets. Then...they announced shows in the USA and it was a repeat.

If they announced the entire 2018 schedule at once, you wouldn't have such a crazy rush for tickets for certain shows because a lot of Europeans would see shows in their own continent and not feel as rushed to buy tickets for Seattle or Brazil or wherever. People in London or Milan would have an easier chance at those tickets because people from Boston and New York and Milwaukee wouldn't be buying tickets for Europe.

In summary, there's two things that they should fix.
    1) More shows with less of an emphasis on destination cities with large stadiums.

2) Announce more shows at once...combine continents into one announcement so that Europeans and Australians will see their shows when USA and Mexico are announced.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:

No, and it was a tough decision. First time I have intentionally not gone to a show here in Seattle. But for the dollars I would have spent, it funded seeing a LOT of other shows locally at smaller venues, supporting bands who are up and coming, etc... Mostly I have no desire to see PJ or any other band in a stadium from 1/2 mile away with a potentially obstructed view. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The value wasn't there for me. I participated in buying PJ homeshow stuff where charitable donations were made (beer, bourbon, chocolate. Missed the wine). But didn't do the show. Hopefully they'll do a residency here once the new arena is built in 2021.
    How come you didn't try for GA?  For the stadium shows we've been too, we've adopted a GA or bust policy.   Like you weren't not the biggest fans of stadium shows.  Especially not sitting way back.   Entering GA for the lottery either means you'll be somewhat close or not go at all.   I'll begrudging lineup around 4pm to get somewhat close at game time.    Paying the transportation and hotel money in peak seattle for nosebleeds.  That would of been a tough call.
  • Options

Anyone else feel slightly pathetic when they even check these boards anymore?I feel like I’m back in my early 20’s again coming home and checking my answering machine in the hopes that a girl I really liked might call back at some point. Only it’s been like 6 weeks and she’s moved on. 
    ...I think we need to move on, sucks but a lot of us, myself included are living in the past with this band. We’re probably missing something exciting and relevant in the present with our never ending desire for this band of nearly 30 years to suddenly revert to something they haven’t been in 15 years. Regardless it was a phenomenal run ....

Feel exactly like this....

Deadman said:
    This thread should end.  It’s coming. 
    But still hoping for this

Cheers
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Zod said:
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:

How come you didn't try for GA?  For the stadium shows we've been too, we've adopted a GA or bust policy.   Like you weren't not the biggest fans of stadium shows.  Especially not sitting way back.   Entering GA for the lottery either means you'll be somewhat close or not go at all.   I'll begrudging lineup around 4pm to get somewhat close at game time.    Paying the transportation and hotel money in peak seattle for nosebleeds.  That would of been a tough call.
    Thought about it, but I'd need to be on the rail and I have no patience to commit to that these days. My wife is 4'10" so GA isn't typically an option unless it is all the way back or right at the rail. Otherwise her nose is at armpit to asshole level of everyone else in there.  I have skipped some good bands playing at Safeco (now T-Mobile), and CenturyLink. It killed me to skip Tom Petty as well. But I just won't do stadium/ballpark shows out of principle.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    It's getting expensive but it is also getting irritating.  I don't care for baseball stadium shows, sick of merch lines....ridiculous to wait that long for one fucking shirt that you like or one poster, love the hype...just not liking the pattern

IMO...if the band did more shows, people would be less likely to travel 1000+ miles to see the band at some destination city.

Take 2010 for example...they did a number of smaller cities (Columbus, Cleveland, Indy, Buffalo) plus they also did a couple shows in the Boston area and two in NYC. You could do a mini-tour of those four cities or do the mess of NYC.

From a band standpoint, they do two shows and sell as many tickets as they would for 4-6 or however-many shows.

The other bad habit the band has is announcing one continent at a time. Take 2018 for example...they announced several shows in South America. Everyone rushed to buy tickets. Then, they announced several shows in Europe. Everyone made a mad dash for tickets, including people in SA who got shut out because Europeans were also buying tickets. Then...they announced shows in the USA and it was a repeat.

If they announced the entire 2018 schedule at once, you wouldn't have such a crazy rush for tickets for certain shows because a lot of Europeans would see shows in their own continent and not feel as rushed to buy tickets for Seattle or Brazil or wherever. People in London or Milan would have an easier chance at those tickets because people from Boston and New York and Milwaukee wouldn't be buying tickets for Europe.

1) More shows with less of an emphasis on destination cities with large stadiums.

2) Announce more shows at once...combine continents into one announcement so that Europeans and Australians will see their shows when USA and Mexico are announced.
    ^^^This right here is spot on^^^
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840

1000000000 % agree with this. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 821
    edited April 2019
    You guys realize Pearl Jam is a business right?  And they aim to sell as many tickets as quickly as possible?  
  • Options
    my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 337
    edited April 2019
    Don't forget you have to enter the lottery first and then win just to even get tickets...
    Post edited by my_wave on
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    mace1229 said:
    I love that vacation is so hard for everyone on this board.  Consider me jealous, I haven’t had a day off in over a year now, and I’ve been working 70 hours a week for the last 80 days.  I’ll trade with someone so that they can work and I can have an exhausting vacation.
    No salary is worth that. I'd find somewhere else to work if I had 70+ hour work weeks and no days off in over a year.
    I bought this ticket though, dude. I complain of course but it’s my own making.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Anyone else feel slightly pathetic when they even check these boards anymore? At least in regards to maybe running across a rumor from a reliable source or something along those lines? I feel like I’m back in my early 20’s again coming home and checking my answering machine in the hopes that a girl I really liked might call back at some point. Only it’s been like 6 weeks and she’s moved on. Although at this point I’ve accepted it’s essentially over here, just check in from time to time in the hopes that by some miracle I’m wrong and there are new album rumors, or a legit touring itinerary, not some random one off shows on the horizon. I think we need to move on, sucks but a lot of us, myself included are living in the past with this band. We’re probably missing something exciting and relevant in the present with our never ending desire for this band of nearly 30 years to suddenly revert to something they haven’t been in 15 years. Regardless it was a phenomenal run and I’ll be there for the next round of one off shows or whatever else. But if your expecting a great new album and a show anywhere in your vicinity anytime soon your wasting your time. 
    I don't feel pathetic checking these boards but then I don't just visit the porch.  I pretty much find something interesting on these forums, if no her then on AMT or All Encompassing Trip or Other Music or any of several other sections.  It's not as busy a place it might have once been but then I also don't mind now and then lonely coffee shops late in the day with only a few stragglers.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479

-The band is done doing more shows. And I think everyone under estimates the physical toll it takes on the band. 20 shows is "big touring year." More shows is highly unlikely IMHO.
    -Demand would not be reduced if they announced all shows at once.  For the most part, they have no problem selling tickets and selling out almost every show. Demand would exceed supply even if they announced all shows at once.
    -You said it yourself = From a band standpoint, they do two shows and sell as many tickets as they would for 4-6 or however-many shows. What makes you think they would move away from that model?
    -When bands can sell out a stadium that is what they do. I think Ed loves looking out a a huge crowd in a historic venue and hearing them sing his songs. Expect more of the same. They might even start playing football stadiums like U2 and Bruce.
    -There is so much personal bias with respect to opinions as to what the band should or should not do. The band should do a residency at the Ridgefield playhouse (500 seats), play only on weekends, and I should be guaranteed seats for every show since I pay for my membership and live within 50 miles of the venue. 
    -If Pearl Jam is playing live, I want to be there. In a stadium, at a festival, amphitheater, or an arena. Front row or last row, it does not matter to me. I just want to be there to hear the band. That is really what it is all about. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113

As long as this gets posted every 3 months, I'm ok checking in:

https://youtu.be/xLd22ha_-VU

• Options

That is just never not funny...
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765

I feel ashamed having never seen this, or maybe seeing it and completely forgetting it.

Potato Wave, oh my.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited April 2019
    mace1229 said:
    I actually can't believe it's legal for an employer to do that. People should turn back to the unions in the USA, and fight for worker's rights again. I can't believe there isn't mandatory paid vacation time in effect for you. Or are you self-employed and just choosing to overwork yourself?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    LowlightLowlight Plymouth, MA Posts: 100
    vedpunk said:
    You guys realize Pearl Jam is a business right?  And they aim to sell as many tickets as quickly as possible?  

So many ignore or miss this.
    Detroit 10-7-00 Buffalo 5-2-03 Boston 7-2-03 Camden 7-6-03 Boston 7-11-03 Boston 5-25-06 Camden 5-27-06 Hartford 6-27-08 Boston 6-28-08 Boston 6-30-08 Hartford 5-15-10 Boston 5-17-10 Chicago 7-19-13 Brooklyn 10-18-13 Brooklyn 10-19-13 Hartford 10-25-13 Moline 10-17-14 St. Paul 10-19-14 Milwaukee 10-20-14 Boston 8-5-16 Boston 8-7-16 Chicago 8-20-16 Chicago 8-22-16 Seattle 8-8-18 Boston 9-2-18 Boston 9-4-18
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725

The Anna Nicole part and the "make me fries" are so hilarious. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Lowlight said:
    vedpunk said:

So many ignore or miss this.
    Probably more than a few do not understand ROI.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    A business doesn’t last long without customers.   Customers provide feedback all the time.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    I actually can't believe it's legal for an employer to do that. People should turn back to the unions in the USA, and fight for worker's rights again. I can't believe there isn't mandatory paid vacation time in effect for you. Or are you self-employed and just choosing to overwork yourself?
    I think he’s self-employed.  Isn’t he the guy that wanted help with coming up with a PJ related name for a restaurant?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore