Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    I think they have Biden in a bunker somewhere doing debate prep. I’m nervous about Biden. I watched the Biden and Ryan debate the other day and it was even better than I remember, lol. I was laughing so hard.Biden totally dominated, but Ryan was a total pushover. I think these debates are gonna be so fun. I can’t wait for the brackets to come out, lol
    Biden is an excellent debater.  He's very good at drawing in personalized stories, naming people by name, talking about a street he's walking down.  It's very effective.  He smoked Ryan.  I hope he still has the touch.  
    Right, I hope he does. I worry he may not be as quick witted as maybe he once was. Mistakes in a debate are magnified so much more than a mistake at like a rally or on campaign trail.
     I also don’t want him to be overconfident or come off as cocky, which I’m sure he won’t.
    It makes me nervous everyone saying Biden’s are only chance. I feel like ive heard that before and it didn’t work out. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,321
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    While the numbers are not surprising in themselves, where Biden's strength comes from seems to be curious.  His rise correlates with Sanders' fall.  You wouldn't think Biden would be take votes from Sanders.  My guess is it's about the name recognition and the Democrats who aren't paying close attention yet.  So Sanders had strength from 2016 from the casual political follower, and then Biden took it.  Just a guess. 
    waaaaaay too soon for all of it. its like a perpetual election cycle anymore.
    Yes agreed.  BTW - I see your 94 Bayfront quote.  Were you there?  I was fortunate to be there.  Second time I saw them, first was at Lolla in Orlando in 92.  Bayront was awesome.  Looking back, it feels like it was chaos.  
    was in a halfway house for drunks snd druggies working a temp service. was contracted to tear down floor seats snd clean up. was able to sneak out and grab a decent seat. saw all but maybe 3 songs?

used to have some memorabilia from the stage.  A few picks, blown amp center cone, this little notebook of Eds dropped center stage. in it he had the title for tremor christ with no lyrics yet.

this other page had talking points. like somebody impersonated jeff at a previous show and scammed people out of pot(so he said) asked the crowd not to give "jeff" any pot. talked about that dr that was murdered the week or so before.

and finally there was an unused line...something like,
    "andy said 15, well I been here an hour...."

little doodle on the front.

show was great AND I got paid to see it!!!
    Did you lose those things?
    yeah, active drunks and addicts arent very responsible.

13 yrs later, am living a much better life....
    Well I'm glad for that.  That's great.  I always enjoy your posts here.  
    thank you. yours are informative here. fun on aet.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,782
    After Gillibrand slammed the NRA during her town hall, the NRA posted a letter she wrote to them in 2008 where she talks about how she appreciates the work the NRA does: https://shared.nrapvf.org/sharedmedia/1510810/09182008-ny-gillibrandletter.pdf
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,321
    After Gillibrand slammed the NRA during her town hall, the NRA posted a letter she wrote to them in 2008 where she talks about how she appreciates the work the NRA does: https://shared.nrapvf.org/sharedmedia/1510810/09182008-ny-gillibrandletter.pdf
    soo she was for it before she was against it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Yeah, because now she's a running for the democratic nomination and thus she has to hate the NRA. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,793
    mickeyrat said:
    Yeah, because now she's a running for the democratic nomination and thus she has to hate the NRA. 
    That's not good.  In 2008, one should have been well aware of the NRA being nothing but a gun lobby.  I'm a big proponent of what's called 'historical perspective', which means assessing people against the norms of the time.  For example, Abe Lincoln probably wasn't for desegregating schools.  JFK probably didn't support gay marriage.  That doesn't make them bigots.  Those were far off concepts at the time.  One should have been critical of the NRA in 2008.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    That's not good.  In 2008, one should have been well aware of the NRA being nothing but a gun lobby.  I'm a big proponent of what's called 'historical perspective', which means assessing people against the norms of the time.  For example, Abe Lincoln probably wasn't for desegregating schools.  JFK probably didn't support gay marriage.  That doesn't make them bigots.  Those were far off concepts at the time.  One should have been critical of the NRA in 2008.  
    Completely agree. Especially with the concept of historical perspective, and how that doesn't apply to Gillibrand here. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,022
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    100% agree. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,460
    Chris Matthews makes it tingle all over me:

https://youtu.be/WOpRyJ5Obh0
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Zero-chance Swalwell has an honest aura. Obviously should have keyed his family members cars for voting for Trump. But, well oh well:

https://youtu.be/B02k7VKFUp0
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220

How so?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Dems are screwed because trump's entire platform is the exact opposite of what he believed in the majority of his adult life. 

Yet Rs dont care. Not in the slightest. They vote for him with more joy than even voting for Reagan.

A dem shifts on one issue? It's the end of her campaign. 

Although she did walk right into this. She could have prefaced her comment. 

• Options

How so?
    He's got a good head on his shoulders. He's funny. He comes off to me - as very, very sound. 

My favorite moment with him that I've captured:

I love him. I wish to someday catch a tambourine from him.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Dems are screwed because trump's entire platform is the exact opposite of what he believed in the majority of his adult life. 

Yet Rs dont care. Not in the slightest. They vote for him with more joy than even voting for Reagan.

A dem shifts on one issue? It's the end of her campaign. 

Although she did walk right into this. She could have prefaced her comment. 

I don't know if that makes them screwed, although it's obvious that Trump has no set of principles or a moral center. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,742

How so?
    He's got a good head on his shoulders. He's funny. He comes off to me - as very, very sound. 

:lol: I hope that happens for you man.
    I like him a lot too. He's no Elizabeth Warren, but he's pretty great.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

How so?

If we talk candidates and not news shows hosts -- then Queen Elisabeth is my favorite, in a lot of ways. 

But I fear she would have a hard time with mocking-Trump in a debate - with her being very "correct" and a bit "stiff" and not really has that Aaron Sorkin-written flair.

She also has a voice that you wouldn't be able to hear if you sit next to her in a noisy pub. I don't think she will be as able to dominate a room or a debate stage. 

But let's see what happens in June in the first debate.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,742
    PJ_Soul said:

How so?

If we talk candidates and not news shows hosts -- then Queen Elisabeth is my favorite, in a lot of ways. 

But I fear she would have a hard time with mocking-Trump in a debate - with her being very "correct" and a bit "stiff" and not really has that Aaron Sorkin-written flair.

She also has a voice that you wouldn't be able to hear if you sit next to her in a noisy pub. I don't think she will be as able to dominate a room or a debate stage. 

Oh, I thought you meant Pete Buttigieg.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

How so?

Oh, I thought you meant Pete Buttigieg.
    He can throw me a tambourine too. But I wouldn't cherish it like Chris Matthews.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

How so?

I'd love to love Warren. But when Trump mocked her DNA tests she had no comeback. Trump made her look foolish. A candidate needs to  br able to go toe to toe with trump

Also she does not understand how to package her ideas to Americans. I'd love more healthcare protections but I am not sure I am ready for forcing everyone off of their private insurance and onto medicare. She cant sell me and most people might call me the most liberal person they know. 

Warren (and Sanders) do not understand what sells in this country, especially in critical swing states.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

How so?

I'd love to love Warren. But when Trump mocked her DNA tests she had no comeback. Trump made her look foolish. A candidate needs to  br able to go toe to toe with trump

Also she does not understand how to package her ideas to Americans. I'd love more healthcare protections but I am not sure I am ready for forcing everyone off of their private insurance and onto medicare. She cant sell me and most people might call me the most liberal person they know. 

Warren (and Sanders) do not understand what sells in this country, especially in critical swing states.
    Like Bill Maher said, she should have gone all in on calling him "Brokaphontas" (as an example)
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
  • Options
    dignin said:
    To be fair,  it's only 1 point increase and within the MOE. What's becoming increasingly clear is Warren and Sanders are exchanging support.  I wonder if the far left wing can break 30 to 35% of the party. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    John Waters talks about Elisabeths Warrens problem with being boring on Bill Mahers latest episode. At like 5 minutes:

https://youtu.be/JPz8CtSv9uM
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    To be fair,  it's only 1 point increase and within the MOE. What's becoming increasingly clear is Warren and Sanders are exchanging support.  I wonder if the far left wing can break 30 to 35% of the party. 
    She has momentum. 1 point since the last poll but on the upwards trajectory for awhile now when lots of pundits had written her off.

My guess is Biden has no place to go but down, that's why I suspect he has been staying clear of certain events. Falling into the front runner trap and playing it safe. Warren has no place to go but up.
  • Options
    John Waters talks about Elisabeths Warrens problem with being boring on Bill Mahers latest episode. At like 5 minutes:

She is an extremely interesting person. And he said she's not funny.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Biden will be smoked after he slurs his way in old-man-slow-motion through the first debate. 

This is the age of twitter soundbytes and podcasts on 1.5 speed. No one has the time for "the eagles soar over our beautiful land, the majestic vistas and people, ordinary people, americans with God in their hearts, helping each other rake their leaves. What happened with helping thy neighbour rake leaves?"

Sanders and Warren comes with the passion. Buddaedgeedge with that JFK-quality. Kamala with a no-BS attitude.
  • Options
    dignin said:

She is an extremely interesting person. And he said she's not funny.
    You mean my "boring" doesn't equal "not funny". Or what did I do wrong?
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,945
    Sleepy Joe gonna rope-a-dope yo.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Biden will be smoked after he slurs his way in old-man-slow-motion through the first debate. 

This is the age of twitter soundbytes and podcasts on 1.5 speed. No one has the time for "the eagles soar over our beautiful land, the majestic vistas and people, ordinary people, americans with God in their hearts, helping each other rake their leaves. What happened with helping thy neighbour rake leaves?"

Sanders and Warren comes with the passion. Buddaedgeedge with that JFK-quality. Kamala with a no-BS attitude.
    Clueless
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Biden will be this elections Jeb Bush.

Mark my words.
This discussion has been closed.