Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,872
    get the fuck over yourself. seriously. you arent a victim. it wasnt a threat.

you are an instigator. you are bullyish. you're fucking arogant and seemingly unwilling to accept anothers differing opinion.

since agnes wont fuck you maybe you should do that yourself.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,075
    edited June 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    Do you think personal attacks against me, irrelevant to this topic - not to talk about the words you choose to use - really is warranted and/or fair?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Regarding abortion. Kristen G:

https://youtu.be/R5bzyyW6uJ0
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I'm on team Gangsta-Kris
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Do you think personal attacks against me, irrelevant to this topic - not to talk about the words you choose to use - really is warranted and/or fair?
    oh thats just being witty or sarcastic. thought you established that was ok?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    If one is witty or sarcastic. 

You were not. And it was not your intent.

You wanted to, and choosed to, use a personal attack against me. Which obviously sheds some light on you.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

You wanted to and choose to use a personal attack against me. Which obviously sheds some light on you.
    leave it alone and we'll see if its seen as funny, witty or sarcastic.

or if your skin is that thin we'll know a WHOLE lot more about you.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

You wanted to and choose to use a personal attack against me. Which obviously sheds some light on you.
    leave it alone and we'll see if its seen as funny, witty or sarcastic.

or if your skin is that thin we'll know a WHOLE lot more about you.
    Has nothing with my skin being thin or two feet thick --

-- It is about you choosing to use a personal attack in this thread, with the obvious intent to "hurt" me.

(speaking of "bullyish")
  • Options

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,652
    If only the pro-life side had a sense of humour.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    If only the pro-life side had a sense of humour.
    To them that would be like saying "if only the people being blown up on Alderaan had a sense of humour"

(I don't think they consider it a jokey matter)
  • Options
    topic....

Mayor Pete’s 49.9999% Tax Bracket

“Being left of Obama doesn’t make you extremely progressive.”
    David Leonhardt

By David Leonhardt

Opinion Columnist

May 23, 2019

This article is part of David Leonhardt’s newsletter. You can sign up here to receive it each weekday.

“Being left of Obama doesn’t make you extremely progressive,” Pete Buttigieg told me last week, when we met in Chicago to record a conversation for the new episode of “The Argument” podcast.

My question to Buttigieg — the mayor of South Bend, Ind., and a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate — had been about tax policy. Specifically, I wanted to know whether he supported an annual wealth tax and how high he thought the top marginal income tax rate should be.

He said he did support a wealth tax, arguing that it was not so different from a property tax. On income taxes, he said something I hadn’t heard him, or anyone else, say before: He is intrigued by a top rate of 49.9999 percent. “There’s something about paying the majority of a dollar that comes your way to Uncle Sam that I think people have more trouble with,” he explained. He also said he would favor a financial transaction tax.

All of that adds up to a highly progressive agenda, I responded. President Obama, by comparison, raised the top rate to 39.6 percent and didn’t pass either a wealth tax or a financial transaction tax.

That’s when Buttigieg said that merely being to Obama’s left doesn’t make somebody extremely left-wing.

“Remember that he was the last Democratic president of the Reagan era,” Buttigieg said. Obama was constrained by congressional Republicans and by a misunderstanding among many politicians, in both parties, about how progressive the American public really was on economic policy. “What I’m proposing might be considered conservative by the standards of the 50s, 60s or 70s.” Buttigieg said. “And so where I think we are today is the beginning of a totally new chapter.”

As I’ve thought back on the hour that we spent talking, I’m most struck by Buttigieg’s combination of ambition and realism. His agenda is highly ambitious, spanning much higher taxes on the rich; both a Green New Deal approach and a carbon tax; statehood for Washington, D.C., and potentially Puerto Rico; abolition of the Electoral College; a less politicized Supreme Court; and more.

But he is also comfortable with the idea of compromise in the service of his goals. “The reason I think we should undertake some of these very bold debates is precisely because they’re going to take a long time and a lot of work,” he said. “It means we don’t have a moment to lose.”

After our conversation on the podcast, you can hear my colleagues Ross Douthat and Michelle Goldberg talk about Buttigieg’s candidacy. Michelle is more sympathetic to it than Ross, not surprisingly, but both raise some smart concerns.

The most obvious one is his relative lack of experience. As I suggested during the interview, I think it’s a weakness for his candidacy but not necessarily a fatal one. Buttigieg clearly has much less experience than most presidents did. On the other hand, he’s run a city for seven years and served in the Navy, which  would give him more relevant experience coming into the job than President Trump had and roughly as much as Obama had.

Related: In March, I spoke with Senator Elizabeth Warren, another 2020 candidate, for “The Argument.” We will have more candidate interviews in the months to come.

If you are not a subscriber to this newsletter, you can subscribe here. You can also join me on Twitter (@DLeonhardt) and Facebook.

Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook, Twitter (@NYTopinion) and Instagram.

David Leonhardt is a former Washington bureau chief for the Times, and was the founding editor of The Upshot and head of The 2020 Project, on the future of the Times newsroom. He won the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for commentary, for columns on the financial crisis. @DLeonhardt • Facebook

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Reuters report last month said Mr. Biden was seeking a “middle ground” to combat climate change, which his campaign called a mischaracterization of his position. But that reporting appeared to prompt Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, who is also running for president, and Ms. Ocasio-Cortez to make oblique swipes at Mr. Biden.

Over the weekend, speaking to a crowd at the California Democratic Party’s convention, Mr. Sanders seized on the phrase “no middle ground,” applying it to a spate of progressive priorities, remarks that were widely seen as a rebuke of Mr. Biden.

“We have got to make it clear that when the future of the planet is at stake, there is no middle ground,” he said.

There ain't gonna be any middle any more.

• Options
    topic....

not much of any press for her , gueess I'll need to look in the podcast world instead. She was on Rogan a couple weeks ago.

• Options
    topic.....

first article thats not wiki or his website. still at like 3 on the results list......

• Options
    topic.

pretty bold...

other recent articles too, many critical by establishment press...

• Options
    topic...

VERY BOLD....

By Matt Stevens

May 28, 2019

Senator Kamala Harris of California unveiled a plan on Tuesday that would require states and localities with a history of unconstitutionally restricting abortion rights to obtain federal approval before such laws can take effect.

Ms. Harris, who is seeking the Democratic nomination for president, called for what is known as a “preclearance requirement” in the plan, released as numerous states have passed laws to sharply limit abortions.

“When we look at a law like what’s happening in Alabama and they’re saying they’re going to sentence a doctor to 99 years, as a prosecutor, let me tell you, I got a real problem with that,” Ms. Harris said on MSNBC on Tuesday night, referring to an Alabama law intended to ban most abortions in the state.

“We cannot tolerate a perspective that is about going backward and not understanding women have agency, women have value, women have authority to make decisions about their own lives and their own bodies,” she said.

The requirement would apply to jurisdictions with a history of violating Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court’s landmark decision in 1973 that established the constitutional right to abortion. These jurisdictions would have to clear new abortion laws with the Justice Department before putting them into effect.

Ms. Harris is one of several Democrats in the 2020 race who have sharply criticized laws passed in Alabama, Missouri and other states that severely restrict abortion. She is also one of several Senate co-sponsors of the Women’s Health Protection Act, which would prevent any government entity from imposing various restrictions on abortion services.

Though some Democratic presidential candidates have already called on Congress to codify abortion rights, Ms. Harris’s campaign said her proposal went further by shifting the burden to states with a history of flouting Roe; the campaign cited South Carolina, Iowa and Georgia as examples.

“Are we going to go back to the days of back-alley abortions? Women died before we had Roe v. Wade in place,” Ms. Harris said on MSNBC, during a televised town-hall event. “On this issue, I’m kind of done.”

The preclearance requirement would work much like the one included in the Voting Rights Act, which was first passed in 1965 to combat voter discrimination. From 1965 to 2013, that law blocked hundreds of discriminatory laws and practices from going into effect.

In 2013, the Supreme Court effectively struck down the heart of the Voting Rights Act, ruling the formula that determined which states had to receive preclearance before making changes to voting procedures was unconstitutional.

Ms. Harris noted Tuesday night she would need 60 votes in the Senate to establish her proposed preclearance requirement and called on voters to pay attention to Senate races.

The Harris campaign said any change to abortion laws in a covered jurisdiction would remain legally unenforceable until the Justice Department determined that it adhered to the standards laid out in Roe and by the Women’s Health Protection Act, which remains stalled in the Republican-controlled Senate.

Ms. Harris’s campaign also said a number of guardrails would be put in place to protect the preclearance requirement regardless of a particular administration’s view of abortion.

“With reproductive freedom under attack nationwide, we’re heartened to see Senator Kamala Harris rolling out a bold plan to defend our fundamental rights,” said Sasha Bruce, senior vice president at NARAL Pro-Choice America, an advocacy organization.

“Every candidate in this field should know it’s not enough to simply call yourself pro-choice,” Ms. Bruce said. “All candidates need to back up their words with a concrete plan for action, especially given the tenuous thread by which reproductive freedom hangs.”

Astead W. Herndon contributed reporting.
    A version of this article appears in print on May 29, 2019, on Page A12 of the New York edition with the headline: In Harris Plan, Abortion Laws Would Require U.S. Approval. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe

• Options

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,677
    mickeyrat said:
    While the numbers are not surprising in themselves, where Biden's strength comes from seems to be curious.  His rise correlates with Sanders' fall.  You wouldn't think Biden would be take votes from Sanders.  My guess is it's about the name recognition and the Democrats who aren't paying close attention yet.  So Sanders had strength from 2016 from the casual political follower, and then Biden took it.  Just a guess. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    While the numbers are not surprising in themselves, where Biden's strength comes from seems to be curious.  His rise correlates with Sanders' fall.  You wouldn't think Biden would be take votes from Sanders.  My guess is it's about the name recognition and the Democrats who aren't paying close attention yet.  So Sanders had strength from 2016 from the casual political follower, and then Biden took it.  Just a guess. 
    waaaaaay too soon for all of it. its like a perpetual election cycle anymore.

• Options
    I'm just gonna say this mrussel1 is one of the best posters on here.  Not sure why anyone would question is honesty just because he is quite satisfied with the US Post Secondary System...
    Thank you first. But second I wouldn't say I'm satisfied.  Through a combination of gov't pull back, university over investments in amenities and poor choices by students, college seems less affordable than it should be.  We need to get back to the equilibrium we had prior to the turn of the century.  I went to a state school and it was $35 an undergrad credit and $65 a grad credit, that was in 92 when I started.  This was most affordable.  US universities do offer egalitarian opportunities generally speaking, but the cost needs to come back inline with inflation.  
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Yes agreed.  BTW - I see your 94 Bayfront quote.  Were you there?  I was fortunate to be there.  Second time I saw them, first was at Lolla in Orlando in 92.  Bayront was awesome.  Looking back, it feels like it was chaos.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Yes agreed.  BTW - I see your 94 Bayfront quote.  Were you there?  I was fortunate to be there.  Second time I saw them, first was at Lolla in Orlando in 92.  Bayront was awesome.  Looking back, it feels like it was chaos.  
    was in a halfway house for drunks snd druggies working a temp service. was contracted to tear down floor seats snd clean up. was able to sneak out and grab a decent seat. saw all but maybe 3 songs?

used to have some memorabilia from the stage.  A few picks, blown amp center cone, this little notebook of Eds dropped center stage. in it he had the title for tremor christ with no lyrics yet.

this other page had talking points. like somebody impersonated jeff at a previous show and scammed people out of pot(so he said) asked the crowd not to give "jeff" any pot. talked about that dr that was murdered the week or so before.

and finally there was an unused line...something like,
    "andy said 15, well I been here an hour...."

little doodle on the front.

show was great AND I got paid to see it!!!

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,652
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    It’s about electability. Biden is electable, Bernie is not. And how bad could Biden be  following Team Trump Treason? 
     Dems want to win and Biden will attract Weld repubs.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    It’s about electability. Biden is electable, Bernie is not. And how bad could Biden be  following Team Trump Treason? 
     Dems want to win and Biden will attract Weld repubs.

well I hope Weld can mount a credible primary campaign. see what happens from there.

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I think they have Biden in a bunker somewhere doing debate prep. I’m nervous about Biden. I watched the Biden and Ryan debate the other day and it was even better than I remember, lol. I was laughing so hard.Biden totally dominated, but Ryan was a total pushover. I think these debates are gonna be so fun. I can’t wait for the brackets to come out, lol

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    I think they have Biden in a bunker somewhere doing debate prep. I’m nervous about Biden. I watched the Biden and Ryan debate the other day and it was even better than I remember, lol. I was laughing so hard.Biden totally dominated, but Ryan was a total pushover. I think these debates are gonna be so fun. I can’t wait for the brackets to come out, lol
    Biden is an excellent debater.  He's very good at drawing in personalized stories, naming people by name, talking about a street he's walking down.  It's very effective.  He smoked Ryan.  I hope he still has the touch.  
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    was in a halfway house for drunks snd druggies working a temp service. was contracted to tear down floor seats snd clean up. was able to sneak out and grab a decent seat. saw all but maybe 3 songs?

used to have some memorabilia from the stage.  A few picks, blown amp center cone, this little notebook of Eds dropped center stage. in it he had the title for tremor christ with no lyrics yet.

this other page had talking points. like somebody impersonated jeff at a previous show and scammed people out of pot(so he said) asked the crowd not to give "jeff" any pot. talked about that dr that was murdered the week or so before.

Did you lose those things?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

yeah, active drunks and addicts arent very responsible.

13 yrs later, am living a much better life....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

yeah, active drunks and addicts arent very responsible.

13 yrs later, am living a much better life....
    Well I'm glad for that.  That's great.  I always enjoy your posts here.  
This discussion has been closed.