Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    mcgruff10 said:

Elizabeth Warren: Medicare For All Is Cheaper Than Our Current System 

https://youtu.be/RlHik6YAPns

How much will my taxes go up?  Where is the money coming from to pay for this?

So....you support Trump getting reelected.
  • Options
    Just listened to Bernie on Rogan on my drive. It was nice to hear a long-form interview where he actually has the time to explain things like how he intends to eliminate all student loan debt and how he would tackle healthcare. The guy does seem like a man of the people, and that’s why I happily voted for him over Clinton in the 2016 primary, but unfortunately I think that 2016 was his best chance. But we’ll see. 
    The whole "But how will they pay for it!" rhetoric and talking points - popping up in this thread from time to time - is pretty crazy, especially with Elisabeth Warren only having one catch phrase and that is "I have a plan for that".

Believe it is the right thing to do or not. Believe it can be voted through or not. But obviously they have some idea on how it would work in practice. 

Even if they don't have the time to break it down in a CNN debate.
    I actually like @Gern Blansten's idea for the candidates to go on YouTube and make videos giving detailed explanations of their stances because the debates are such a joke. He suggested they go on after the debates, but really it could be anytime. And it could be the candidate just talking to the camera, or being asked questions by some hand-picked interviewer.

These debates (if you can call them that) have been so god-awful. Nobody gets enough time, everything gets spun and dissected on social media (with more emphasis on who "owned" who than who had the best policy proposals), there's "gotcha" questions, attacks on each other, etc. At least with a long-form interview like Bernie's and Rogan's, what Bernie said is what he said. There's nothing to read into. No body language to judge. Just questions and answers (with explanations). I'd like more of that. 

I'm surprised a few of them haven't held roundtable forums together and posted them on you tube. And let any of the networks show clips from it. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:

I do not support banana republic US in any way.

Except for Metroid Prime 3 being developed by Retro Studios, based in Austin.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mcgruff10 said:

You support the US every single time you watch a You Tube video, buy a record from a US band, listen to spotify, read the Post, etc.  Thanks for all of your contributions to our GDP.  Unfortunately, we have no way of returning the favor.  
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You support the US every single time you watch a You Tube video, buy a record from a US band, listen to spotify, read the Post, etc.  Thanks for all of your contributions to our GDP.  Unfortunately, we have no way of returning the favor.  
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You changed a normal reply to that.  You're nothing if consistent
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You changed a normal reply to that.  You're nothing if consistent
    A GIF image says more than a thousand written "Okey:s"
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Ma'am, despite the buggy eyes, might I still be able to get your number?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Everyone makes mistakes when speaking. But Biden is the fucking gold medal winner.

He is such a creepy dude that appears to be aging 5 years every time he speaks. I sure hope the dem primaries get this right....it’s gotta be the most important primary in my lifetime.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Everyone makes mistakes when speaking. But Biden is the fucking gold medal winner.

He is such a creepy dude that appears to be aging 5 years every time he speaks. I sure hope the dem primaries get this right....it’s gotta be the most important primary in my lifetime.

I get the sense that part of his issue is he cares about helping people and not wanting to over promise.

Its much easier to speak publicly when you dont give a flying phuck about your accuracy.

It's why Donny does so well, and why the debate attacks on Biden look so good on live TV 

“You’re dipping into the Kool-Aid and you don’t even know the flavor”

Really Booker?

This is how we pick presidents now.
  • Options

I get the sense that part of his issue is he cares about helping people and not wanting to over promise.

Its much easier to speak publicly when you dont give a flying phuck about your accuracy.

It's why Donny does so well, and why the debate attacks on Biden look so good on live TV 

Really Booker?

I understand what you are saying but I don’t think this is true with Biden. He struggles and it’s getting worse. Time has caught up to this career politician. I hope he’s not the nominee...but the Dems could do worse. If he wins the nomination he sure as shit better get his act together and win the general election.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Really Booker?

I understand what you are saying but I don’t think this is true with Biden. He struggles and it’s getting worse. Time has caught up to this career politician. I hope he’s not the nominee...but the Dems could do worse. If he wins the nomination he sure as shit better get his act together and win the general election.
    You're in a box on this one, me thinks.  You've been against Joe since the start, but you also want a moderate.  The reality is that it will be Bernie, Biden or Warren.  The others don't have a chance, in my estimation.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Really Booker?

You're in a box on this one, me thinks.  You've been against Joe since the start, but you also want a moderate.  The reality is that it will be Bernie, Biden or Warren.  The others don't have a chance, in my estimation.  
    Yup. You are correct. I dislike Joe because he is a creep. But I’d still vote for him over the bigger creep. You are right though, I am not likely to be happy with the primary or the election. But hopefully not as bad as it can get. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    If those three are the choices, I don't like them.
    Two screamers and a bumbler.

Hey, better than Donny and they will have my vote.  (But I think they all stink as choices - the two unrealistic, idealistic, dreamer-screamers especially)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:

Really Booker?

I'd say maybe Harris has more than a tiny chance (Edit: that means I rank her 4th and the only other person not 99% out).  But I think any dreams of voting for Klobuchar, Yang, etc..  Any dreams of voting for Pete are on their last legs, as well.

Of Bernie, Biden, Warren and Harris, Biden's the one I most think can be Trump.  I don't really relish voting for a guy has been in national politics since before I was born, but when the president is dragging along the crazy right (which is a third of the country) countering that with what's going to be interpreted as "the other extreme" is a pretty poor strategy.  A middle-of-the-roader covers a larger part of the country.  The question is can that person bring people to the polls?  Biden, looking older and more frail than Trump? I don't know whether he can.  
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited August 2019
    I feel like Biden/Bernie would bring people to the polls more than any other tandem. I sometimes feel Bernie would be strong candidate against Trump. Bernie would go hard after Trump, not only on a personal level, but on policy matters. Bernie could win the street fight and he won’t pull any punches.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    I think it would be fun and kinda funny watching Biden/Bernie campaigning together. They could do like a two old guys coming together to save America schtik together, lol. No? 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I think Bernie could cut into Trumps deplorables for a few reasons.
    1.) Good shit talker. He will do well against Trump in debates
    2.)His hair.
    3.)Populist
    4.) Weed. Lots of people who know nothing about politics and would never vote dem, like Bernie and they associate Bernie with legalization.

Just some random thoughts.🤪

Post edited by Hi! on

• Options
    Hi! said:
    2.)His hair.
    3.)Populist
    4.) Weed. Lots of people who know nothing about politics and would never vote dem, like Bernie and they associate Bernie with legalization.

You think there are a lot of hard core Republican weed smokers?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    2.)His hair.
    3.)Populist

LOL.  Is this a serious question?  Cannabis does not play politics.  Guaranteed that there are a lot of Republicans that partake in the consumption of such outstanding weed...most politicians do as I say, not as I do...

I do find it amusing that weed is illegal (never killed anyone).  Yet I can order a gun off the internet with no background check...

These politicians that people worship are strange animals when they keep a useful substance illegal...but hey I got guns...that is a fucked society.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605
    Hi! said:
    I think it would be fun and kinda funny watching Biden/Bernie campaigning together. They could do like a two old guys coming together to save America schtik together, lol. No? 
    They’d be seen as the two old guys in the theater box a la muppets. Biden/Harris, Biden/Buddha,  Biden/Castro
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    2.)His hair.
    3.)Populist

Bernie will be painted and perceived as a hard core socialist. Team Trump Treason wins.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Hi! said:
    2.)His hair.
    3.)Populist

Bernie will be painted and perceived as a hard core socialist. Team Trump Treason wins.
    They're going to do that with all of them.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    2.)His hair.
    3.)Populist

LOL.  Is this a serious question?  Cannabis does not play politics.  Guaranteed that there are a lot of Republicans that partake in the consumption of such outstanding weed...most politicians do as I say, not as I do...

I do find it amusing that weed is illegal (never killed anyone).  Yet I can order a gun off the internet with no background check...

These politicians that people worship are strange animals when they keep a useful substance illegal...but hey I got guns...that is a fucked society.
    Pro -marijuana legalization is much stronger on the left than the right.  I say this because the right wing base is rural, socially conservative, religious, and older.  These are not the demos of people who support legalization.  I'm not saying there are zero, by any means, but I don't think Bernie being a pro-legalization is going to buy him game changing votes from Trump.  

What's weird about this poll is they don't care what people 35-64 think.  

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    2.)His hair.
    3.)Populist

Pro -marijuana legalization is much stronger on the left than the right.  I say this because the right wing base is rural, socially conservative, religious, and older.  These are not the demos of people who support legalization.  I'm not saying there are zero, by any means, but I don't think Bernie being a pro-legalization is going to buy him game changing votes from Trump.  

But pretty much all demographics are near 50% or higher.  But here is the thing, I've been smoking since mt teens...I do not need the permission of politicians or age group to continue to do so.  It is now legal in Canada.  The world needs to get on board.  Alcohol is far more harmful and so are guns...but hey they are legal...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    2.)His hair.
    3.)Populist

But pretty much all demographics are near 50% or higher.  But here is the thing, I've been smoking since mt teens...I do not need the permission of politicians or age group to continue to do so.  It is now legal in Canada.  The world needs to get on board.  Alcohol is far more harmful and so are guns...but hey they are legal...
    The politicians are slow playing it, just like gun laws.  It is legal in DC, but Congress (which as control) is stalling on setting up the licensing and infrastructure to put it into practice.  That's a bummer for me.  However, I think the Dems will take control of VA legislature this fall, and then I think we'll have a pretty swift change in policy here.  As it stands, I travel out to Washington, CA and CO a few times a year for work and stock up on the carts., so I'm good.  
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Hi! said:
    2.)His hair.
    3.)Populist

But Bernie and Warren are way more easily painted with such a brush and having it apply to them.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    I’m having a hard time deciding which is more of a risk. Putting up Biden with his gaffes, unpredictability, baggage, and overall lack of enthusiasm about his candidacy, or Warren/ Sanders with the Socialism/Pocahontas label.

• Options
    dignin said:
    Hi! said:
    2.)His hair.
    3.)Populist

But Bernie and Warren are way more easily painted with such a brush and having it apply to them.
    ”You are a Damn dirty soalicist” is as easily said whoever it is. 

This discussion has been closed.