Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    Let’s be real, trump is an asshole.  He’s an idiot.  But so far the dems are fighting the I’ll be more of an idiot as you game.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

How Bernie Sanders Would Pay for Free Education
    https://youtu.be/s-94l1QE5Kk

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

We Have to Redefine What Makes America Great
    https://youtu.be/z_30JkOmkYk

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

Maybe I missed it amidst the noise in the debates, but I don't recall Sanders answering this as directly and clearly as he did here. I wish he had - I thought the directness and clarity he showed here would've done him favours in the debate (and in his campaign frankly - I didn't know he had multiple volume settings until this interview).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,801
    benjs said:

Maybe I missed it amidst the noise in the debates, but I don't recall Sanders answering this as directly and clearly as he did here. I wish he had - I thought the directness and clarity he showed here would've done him favours in the debate (and in his campaign frankly - I didn't know he had multiple volume settings until this interview).
    debate format at present and in general ,doesn't allow for this level of articulation. simply no time for it. especially with 20+ people.

they spoke about it during this interview. So far Rogan has had 2 candidates on. I would welcome more for sure. not only because of the reach he has(more or better informed electorate) but the long form conversation is better. Ideas have room to breathe with some articulate push back as well.

less sound bite driven and no gotcha bullshit. plus not beholden to advertisers on this platform.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:

debate format at present and in general ,doesn't allow for this level of articulation. simply no time for it. especially with 20+ people.

they spoke about it during this interview. So far Rogan has had 2 candidates on. I would welcome more for sure. not only because of the reach he has(more or better informed electorate) but the long form conversation is better. Ideas have room to breathe with some articulate push back as well.

less sound bite driven and no gotcha bullshit. plus not beholden to advertisers on this platform.
    Fully agree. As a fairly tech-forward person, I've been really disappointed at how many direct communication opportunities exist (what's to preclude any candidate from live-streaming on Youtube, Ask Me Anything on Quora/Reddit, writing a blog, etc.? Wasted opportunities so people can go on a crowded stage and produce no-detail soundbites for advertisers instead of solid information for citizens (exactly to your point).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,801
    benjs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:

Fully agree. As a fairly tech-forward person, I've been really disappointed at how many direct communication opportunities exist (what's to preclude any candidate from live-streaming on Youtube, Ask Me Anything on Quora/Reddit, writing a blog, etc.? Wasted opportunities so people can go on a crowded stage and produce no-detail soundbites for advertisers instead of solid information for citizens (exactly to your point).
    oh I think being a front runner, others are going to see the youtube views of this podcast and the download numbers and be calling. Joe would be happy to speak with them I am sure.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:

oh I think being a front runner, others are going to see the youtube views of this podcast and the download numbers and be calling. Joe would be happy to speak with them I am sure.
    Thankfully that seems likely! Hope to see this come into fruition.

EV
  • Options
    The problem with Joe is that this is Joe:

So I would think many of the nominees have gotten invitations etc - but not everyone would want to risk the backlash or be connected to this guy:

• Options
    The problem with Joe is that this is Joe:

So I would think many of the nominees have gotten invitations etc - but not everyone would want to risk the backlash or be connected to this guy:

I don't expect any backlash. Most people have forgotten these faces, and the rest know Joe Rogan to be willing to interview anyone (kind of like Howard Stern who you could make the same argument about). If there was any backlash, like mickeyrat said, I suspect any stigma is now removed by Sanders' appearance.

EV
  • Options
    benjs said:

I suspect any stigma is now removed by Sanders' appearance.
    https://youtu.be/MPJ0AB12h1I
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Just listened to Bernie on Rogan on my drive. It was nice to hear a long-form interview where he actually has the time to explain things like how he intends to eliminate all student loan debt and how he would tackle healthcare. The guy does seem like a man of the people, and that’s why I happily voted for him over Clinton in the 2016 primary, but unfortunately I think that 2016 was his best chance. But we’ll see. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    benjs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:

I've thought that too.  If I were a candidate I would go on YouTube after each debate and explain everything in great detail.  Of course they probably don't want to do that so they don't give tRump ammo to use against them.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021
    edited August 2019
    Just listened to Bernie on Rogan on my drive. It was nice to hear a long-form interview where he actually has the time to explain things like how he intends to eliminate all student loan debt and how he would tackle healthcare. The guy does seem like a man of the people, and that’s why I happily voted for him over Clinton in the 2016 primary, but unfortunately I think that 2016 was his best chance. But we’ll see. 
    The whole "But how will they pay for it!" rhetoric and talking points - popping up in this thread from time to time - is pretty crazy, especially with Elisabeth Warren only having one catch phrase and that is "I have a plan for that".

Believe it is the right thing to do or not. Believe it can be voted through or not. But obviously they have some idea on how it would work in practice. 

Even if they don't have the time to break it down in a CNN debate.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    The whole "But how will they pay for it!" rhetoric and talking points - popping up in this thread from time to time - is pretty crazy, especially with Elisabeth Warren only having one catch phrase and that is "I have a plan for that".

Believe it is the right thing to do or not. Believe it can be voted through or not. But obviously they have some idea on how it would work in practice. 

Elizabeth Warren uses the same pool of money to pay for every one of her proposals, so far as I can tell.  And secondly, that doesn't mean many of us want those tax dollars to be used for those purposes, specifically the wiping of student debt.  
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:

Elizabeth Warren uses the same pool of money to pay for every one of her proposals, so far as I can tell.  And secondly, that doesn't mean many of us want those tax dollars to be used for those purposes, specifically the wiping of student debt.  
    Read my bolded sentence for your "And secondly".

I would not want tax money to go to that either. But not every candidate is perfect. Or party. No point in doing what the 2nd amendment-nuts do. "everything or nothing will work" as I think you put it.

And your "the same pool" - I haven't seen any article about her talking out of her ass, so I put my faith in her pool or pools covering what she says good enough to get to keep saying what she says.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I would not want tax money to go to that either. But not every candidate is perfect. Or party. No point in doing what the 2nd amendment-nuts do. "everything or nothing will work" as I think you put it.
    Yes, and Joe Biden better represents the things we can and should do, IMO.  Namely banning assault rifles, expanding Obamacare (public/private option), not waiving student loans, etc.  
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    mrussel1 said:
    If you haven’t seen Anderson Cooper’s interview with Sleepy Joe tonight, I highly recommend it and if he’s the party’s nominee and you pull the lever for Team Trump Treason, you need your head examined.
    How did he do 
    He was extremely human.
    Was he creepy or seem like he wanted to rest his eyes? Maybe this was his wake up call
    Thoughtful, intelligent, articulate, experienced and human.
    I think he came off good in Cuomos interview also. 

And when he is being attacked in the debates like last time (saw a montage of just the attacks) you feel for him. It's like watching someone who is innocent being harassed in an interrogation room by the "bad cop". If you have ever watched a scandinavian noir.

Even though Joe got punched often in the last debate, polls say he did ok

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/06/poll-elizabeth-warren-wins-second-debate-1448607
    Yep. Affirming my point. No one wants to see an old man being harassed like that. No one wants to see Obamas BFF being put down and looking sad. It made me, and I bet a lot of people just uncomfortable.

I don't think death of a thousand knifings or groupkicking him ASAP Rocky-style is gonna work with Biden. 

They need instead to steal his thunder. And break through and make people see their vision as better.

Bernie or Liz lose to trump. The US is not Europe.  Voters are not ready to accept govt controlled healthcare, unfortunately.  Whether or not it "polls well."

My post did not have anything to do with chances against trump though. But about strategies if one would want to try and pass Biden in the polls.

And even if I think change can come more at once than this moderate idea of a wave building before it breaks, the thing about the US not being Europe, is what will make these type of memes being the truth for many, many New Years ahead (unfortunately):

To use a term from Turok 2: Seeds of Evil - maybe one day a "leap of faith" will be made.

It's not only "voters aren't ready" for govt controlled healthcare (they arent), it's that the US economy is devised to handle the current system. 

Convincing employers to pay employees more salary instead of insurance benefits will be one of many headaches in addition to gutting the system and implementing a new one.

And in the US it needs to be implemented quickly, because about 19 months after a President Bernie or Liz were to be inaugurated, its midterm time. As a refresher, recall Obama and Congress, 2009- 2010.

That's why public option makes sense. People who want it can choose it. And all the govt has to do is require employers to add one choice to their benefits currently offered. Simpler first step. Voters will be able to see if it works for them.  If it does, then propose MFA.

If the US elections were more representative of the popular vote, perhaps we could have a leap of faith.

Unfortunately for that, rural and middle Americans get a greater say in presidential elections than their population share. 
  • Options

Sen. Elizabeth Warren Gains In 2020 Poll After Debate

https://youtu.be/Td9v_8N_gvI

• Options
    If someone interested missed another longform talk with Bernie. A bit louder voice than in the Joe Rogan podcast. but anyways.

On healthcare
    "Can you guarantee that no middleclass families taxes will go up by more than they currently are paying in premiums?"
    Bernie: Yes, we can.

https://youtu.be/VKbXU_4yVE4

• Options
    If someone interested missed another longform talk with Bernie. A bit louder voice than in the Joe Rogan podcast. but anyways.

On healthcare
    "Can you guarantee that no middleclass families taxes will go up by more than they currently are paying in premiums?"
    Bernie: Yes, we can.

https://youtu.be/VKbXU_4yVE4

What is his definition of middle class?  This is an extremely broad range when you look at middle class in San Francisco and middle class in Iowa.  I'm curious how he can make such a guarantee.  
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728

I actually like @Gern Blansten's idea for the candidates to go on YouTube and make videos giving detailed explanations of their stances because the debates are such a joke. He suggested they go on after the debates, but really it could be anytime. And it could be the candidate just talking to the camera, or being asked questions by some hand-picked interviewer.

These debates (if you can call them that) have been so god-awful. Nobody gets enough time, everything gets spun and dissected on social media (with more emphasis on who "owned" who than who had the best policy proposals), there's "gotcha" questions, attacks on each other, etc. At least with a long-form interview like Bernie's and Rogan's, what Bernie said is what he said. There's nothing to read into. No body language to judge. Just questions and answers (with explanations). I'd like more of that. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    I was impressed with Biden's speech today.  He basically just trashed tRump but if he has that attitude as the nominee he's going to win.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

I actually like @Gern Blansten's idea for the candidates to go on YouTube and make videos giving detailed explanations of their stances because the debates are such a joke. He suggested they go on after the debates, but really it could be anytime. And it could be the candidate just talking to the camera, or being asked questions by some hand-picked interviewer.

These debates (if you can call them that) have been so god-awful. Nobody gets enough time, everything gets spun and dissected on social media (with more emphasis on who "owned" who than who had the best policy proposals), there's "gotcha" questions, attacks on each other, etc. At least with a long-form interview like Bernie's and Rogan's, what Bernie said is what he said. There's nothing to read into. No body language to judge. Just questions and answers (with explanations). I'd like more of that. 

Yeah, I read someone say something like:

CNN in the debate: So candidate A has said this about you candidate C. Now fight!

CNN after the debate: They are fighting too much.
  • Options

Yeah, I read someone say something like:

CNN in the debate: So candidate A has said this about you candidate C. Now fight!

CNN after the debate: They are fighting too much.
    Yes, exactly.  So annoying. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I was impressed with Biden's speech today.  He basically just trashed tRump but if he has that attitude as the nominee he's going to win.
    It was good. A bit lacking in energy and stuttery and telepromptery. But agree it was good.

Betos honest "WHAT THE FUCK!?" was better though. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, and Joe Biden better represents the things we can and should do, IMO.  Namely banning assault rifles, expanding Obamacare (public/private option), not waiving student loans, etc.  
    But I read that your country will do poorly with him. It will be one big crash, but at least China will be happy!
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Good guy Beto

• Options
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:

Elizabeth Warren: Medicare For All Is Cheaper Than Our Current System 

https://youtu.be/RlHik6YAPns

How much will my taxes go up?  Where is the money coming from to pay for this?

• Options
    On the topic of American Cable News being bullshit that do not reach the standards of journalism and Beto being a good guy -

Beto schooling Chris Cuomo (4 minutes in):

https://youtu.be/Zxcn-B5JtL4
This discussion has been closed.