Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    College graduates are probably more likely to vote.  I know I would vote for the Wig party if they essentially paid off tens of thousands in debt for me. 
    I dont think Warren comes off as someone that cynical. Even though i might not agree, Im sure she has a respactable reason for her ”plans”. 

She isnt Joe ”lets write something up quickly” Biden or Donald ”Urukhai hear my call - your coal Jobs are the future and we will feast on elf flesh! Trump
    Yes,  she just flat takes Bernie's platform.  And it may not be cynical,  but it's absolutely pandering. 
    So you are saying she hasn’t been consistent through the years in her beliefs?
    Not when she was a Republican.  You know she was a Republican,  right?
    So, she shows personal growth, then. 

Are you trying to argue that someone who has been a registered Dem for 23 years isn’t really a dem? 
    No im saying what I said.  SC said she's been consistent her whole life,  yet as an adult she was a Republican.  These two statements are diametrically opposed.  They can't both be true.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    College graduates are probably more likely to vote.  I know I would vote for the Wig party if they essentially paid off tens of thousands in debt for me. 
    I dont think Warren comes off as someone that cynical. Even though i might not agree, Im sure she has a respactable reason for her ”plans”. 

She isnt Joe ”lets write something up quickly” Biden or Donald ”Urukhai hear my call - your coal Jobs are the future and we will feast on elf flesh! Trump
    Yes,  she just flat takes Bernie's platform.  And it may not be cynical,  but it's absolutely pandering. 

Are you trying to argue that someone who has been a registered Dem for 23 years isn’t really a dem? 
    No im saying what I said.  SC said she's been consistent her whole life,  yet as an adult she was a Republican.  These two statements are diametrically opposed.  They can't both be true.  
    I Havent said she has been consistent her whole life. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I am waiting for the candidate that plans on paying off student, all other debt and offers free income a month for doing nothing...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

I Havent said she has been consistent her whole life. 
    Sorry misunderstood.  
  • Options
    So let's all make note that politicians can adjust their policy stances.  
  • Options
    Let's also not forget that politicians are profession liers...I never trust any politician promising this and that...most of them are bull shitters...need term limits on politicians...oh yeah, ban lawyers from running.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Here is Warren's explanation for the Republican thing. It really only further strengthens her position IMO.

"I was an independent. I was with the GOP for a while because I really thought that it was a party that was principled in its conservative approach to economics and to markets. And I feel like the GOP party just left that. They moved to a party that said, “No, it’s not about a level playing field. It’s now about a field that’s gotten tilted.” And they really stood up for the big financial institutions when the big financial institutions are just hammering middle class American families. I just feel like that’s a party that moved way, way away."

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    So let's all make note that politicians can adjust their policy stances.  
    But you that keep track om Queen E - What exactly has she changed in her beliefs, from going rep to dem?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Here is Warren's explanation for the Republican thing. It really only further strengthens her position IMO.

"I was an independent. I was with the GOP for a while because I really thought that it was a party that was principled in its conservative approach to economics and to markets. And I feel like the GOP party just left that. They moved to a party that said, “No, it’s not about a level playing field. It’s now about a field that’s gotten tilted.” And they really stood up for the big financial institutions when the big financial institutions are just hammering middle class American families. I just feel like that’s a party that moved way, way away."

You don't find it convenient that her move in the 90s is aligned perfectly with the populist times, when explained today? And how are her current proposals even close to free market conservative principles?  I'd prefer to see some contemporaneous explanation,  but I'm sure that doesn't exist. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

You don't find it convenient that her move in the 90s is aligned perfectly with the populist times, when explained today? And how are her current proposals even close to free market conservative principles?  I'd prefer to see some contemporaneous explanation,  but I'm sure that doesn't exist. 
    No. And I actually feel like you are actively looking for reasons not to like Warren, to the point where you're just kind of making things up. Her political view evolved. That is a good thing. I'm not sure how you find something so negative here.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    27th is midsummer here :( so might miss the debate. hmm

• Options

Why? What does midsummer entail for you? Is it a traditional celebration or holiday or something?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Why? What does midsummer entail for you? Is it a traditional celebration or holiday or something?
    Its the biggest day for drinking in Sweden. And for kids/families to dance around a pole wearing flowers on their head etc. 

Bernie Sanders would love it. 

Will have to watch the debate on the 28th before Bob Dylan. 
  • Options
    Ah, I see. Well that looks nice.
  • Options
    You are Swedish.  The US election has little to do with you...but I'm thinking deep down you wanna be American...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Its the biggest day for drinking in Sweden. And for kids/families to dance around a pole wearing flowers on their head etc. 

Canada's celebration came last and what PARTY it was...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The US election has plenty to do with everyone.
  • Options
    You are Swedish.  The US election has little to do with you...
    This kind of BS has already been refuted a few pages back. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    PJ_Soul said:

I m sure it isn’t the case but it Looks very cultish to me. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Have you seen the movie THE WICKER MAN?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

I'll be drinking aquavit while watching the debate. Skål!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Wtf? How so?? .... Are you thinking about scenes from the original Wicker Man?? If so, I'd say that's not a fair comparison, but would still understand why it came to mind, lol. That movie looks almost exactly like those photos, haha.
  • Options
    Some people see it that way some people don't... I'm not a 24/7 American basher...The US effects the world in a negative way...they have been for decades...not just when Tump was elected...from my perspective they are very harmful to Ontario...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Some people see it that way some people don't... I'm not a 24/7 American basher...The US effects the world in a negative way...they have been for decades...not just when Tump was elected...from my perspective they are very harmful to Ontario...
    I agree they are very harmful to Ontario... although much of that blame rests on Ontarioians. But anyway, the US right now is not the same as the US before. I don't understand those who act like it's business as usual right now. It absolutely is not.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Wtf? How so?? .... Are you thinking about scenes from the original Wicker Man?? If so, I'd say that's not a fair comparison, but would still understand why it came to mind, lol. That movie looks almost exactly like those photos, haha.
    I don’t know why, maybe the symbol in the middle that everyone is dancing around?  It has feelings of Jonestown 2.0 for some reason. (And like I said, I m sure it isn’t the case at all)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don’t know why, maybe the symbol in the middle that everyone is dancing around?  It has feelings of Jonestown 2.0 for some reason. (And like I said, I m sure it isn’t the case at all)
    Haha. For sure. 

• Options
    edited June 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Obviously it isn't the case. But I'm willing to bet that that tradition has pagan roots, just like Christmas does. I'm not sure how you'd feel about someone telling you that your Christmas celebration looks like a cult at work. To me that would just seem kind of rude.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    PJ_Soul said:

Festivus  pole. 

Enjoy the airing of grievances and feats of strength!

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    June 29th:

Queen E in top. 

Kamala above 10%

Biden losing big. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Obviously it isn't the case. But I'm willing to bet that that tradition has pagan roots, just like Christmas does. I'm not sure how you'd feel about someone telling you that your Christmas celebration looks like a cult at work. To me that would just seem kind of rude.
    I honestly wouldn't care lol.  It's just an observation from far far away across the pond.
This discussion has been closed.