Options

'TWO BIG PIGS': Rude woman kicked off flight after fat-shaming meltdown

12346»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I just wish those people who have cancer and heart disease and other ailments just suck it up...

Not even close to the same thing.

Are people apologists for obesity right now? Is this what I'm getting from reading the last few pages of this thread?
    Sort of what it sounds like. 
    I don't know if this was intended, but it almost sounds like obesity itself is a mental disorder. It isn't. 
    I agree there can be genetic/mental factors. But that is going to be in the minority. Culture and discipline are the biggest factors when it comes to America's obesity problems. Pretending otherwise isn't going to help anyone. Something like 1/3 of Americans are significantly overweight. And then look at our culture and eating habits as a country. Those 2 aren't linked?
    it can, however, be a by-product of mental illness. self-satiation in the form of alcohol, drugs, food, consumerism in general for that instant high, however one gets it. 

my mental illness onset and significant weight gain happened at the same time. while there are also other factors at play (aging, metabolism, activity), there is no question many of my bad habits contributing to my weight can be traced back to my illness. 
    It definitely can be.
    I just don't think that is the biggest factor. Bad eating habits and culture exist without any sort of disorder. It just sounded like obesity was some sort of protected class based on mental illness, and its not. For the majority of people, obesity is a list of conscious life-ling decisions.
    of course all these problems exist independently in the world, but they can be a major factor when dealing with mental illness. when you have a depression issue, you can sink into the "I don't fucking care, I won't be here tomorrow anyway" type of mindset, which breeds apathy towards your daily choices, so you inevitably make the bad ones, as those are usually the most instantly gratifying. 

it doesn't matter if it's that bag of chips, that bottle of rye, or that pearl jam record on ebay, not going to the gym, it all plays a part. 

I didn't have these issues when I was well. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    My aunt had a heart transplant in her 30s.  The way her body reacted to it and the medications she had to take, she ended up having thyroid problems and gained a bunch of weight.  She was skinny all her life up until then.  She ate healthy, exercised as much as she could muster, but only gained or maintained.  I know she was an anomaly and doesn't represent 99% of obese people, so there is no need to jump down my throat with a bunch of counter arguments.  Just understand that some people simply do NOT have the ability.
    The same goes for mental health.  It is a chemical imbalance in the brain.  Some folks just don't have the capacity to get up out of bed and go about their day.  It's ignorant to think otherwise.  I have been lucky that I do have that mental fortitude to keep going, so it is even hard for me to understand at times why some people can't just "suck it up," but I try to understand.  The fact is that they simply can't do it. It's not that they don't want to. No one wants to have mental illness and not have the capacity to go about their day and "deal with it."  If it were just about sucking it up, mental illness wouldn't exist.  Suicide and addiction would be eradicated.  Some have the ability to deal with life, some have it less than others, some more, some just don't have it.
    I honestly think, as I think I've covered, that people are focusing too much on the words gambs said and not the message. When he says "suck it up", he just means "carry on and survive". at least that's my take. 

I understand that.  But there are people who can't muster the will to do even that; that's just how deep some mental illness goes.
  • Options
    My aunt had a heart transplant in her 30s.  The way her body reacted to it and the medications she had to take, she ended up having thyroid problems and gained a bunch of weight.  She was skinny all her life up until then.  She ate healthy, exercised as much as she could muster, but only gained or maintained.  I know she was an anomaly and doesn't represent 99% of obese people, so there is no need to jump down my throat with a bunch of counter arguments.  Just understand that some people simply do NOT have the ability.
    The same goes for mental health.  It is a chemical imbalance in the brain.  Some folks just don't have the capacity to get up out of bed and go about their day.  It's ignorant to think otherwise.  I have been lucky that I do have that mental fortitude to keep going, so it is even hard for me to understand at times why some people can't just "suck it up," but I try to understand.  The fact is that they simply can't do it. It's not that they don't want to. No one wants to have mental illness and not have the capacity to go about their day and "deal with it."  If it were just about sucking it up, mental illness wouldn't exist.  Suicide and addiction would be eradicated.  Some have the ability to deal with life, some have it less than others, some more, some just don't have it.
    I honestly think, as I think I've covered, that people are focusing too much on the words gambs said and not the message. When he says "suck it up", he just means "carry on and survive". at least that's my take. 

I understand that.  But there are people who can't muster the will to do even that; that's just how deep some mental illness goes.
    I know. trust me, I know. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    So what percent of obesity do you think is a result from mental illness?
    My guess is very small, maybe 1 or 2%. I just can;t see how it is much higher when I travel to other countries and they just don't have that problem, and they also don't have all-you-can-eat buffets and McDonalds on every other corner. 
    Obesity problems even vary from region to region, depending on that culture and the popular food served there.
    There are obviously exceptions, but I truly believe it is a willpower, instant gratification and a cultural problem more than anything else. Mental illness being a small minority in the fight to solve obesity.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    My guess is very small, maybe 1 or 2%. I just can;t see how it is much higher when I travel to other countries and they just don't have that problem, and they also don't have all-you-can-eat buffets and McDonalds on every other corner. 
    Obesity problems even vary from region to region, depending on that culture and the popular food served there.
    There are obviously exceptions, but I truly believe it is a willpower, instant gratification and a cultural problem more than anything else. Mental illness being a small minority in the fight to solve obesity.
    I have no idea. my post was merely anecdotal. All I know is that is how it affected ME, so I assume it also would have that same affect to some degree on others who suffer as I do. But I could be wrong. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mace1229 said:
    That would be a really hard question to answer.  We still don't know jack-shit about human behaviour and psychology.  We can't answer the question of why mental illness is rising at exponential rates in our western society, so I think with obesity, access to junk food is probably only a small piece of the puzzle.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited February 2019
    I just wish those people who have cancer and heart disease and other ailments just suck it up...

Not even close to the same thing.

Are people apologists for obesity right now? Is this what I'm getting from reading the last few pages of this thread?
    No. What happened was that some people were trying to say that fat SHAMING is a terrible thing to do, and that it hurts all overweight people, not just the direct subject (in this case I believe it was Trump). Not shaming people and being an apologist for the obesity epidemic are not close to the same thing. And then the conversation grew into one about mental health in general I think, stemming from the fact that indeed, some people with weight issues have them because of mental health issues, and those people are particularly hurt by fat shaming of anyone. Not that fat people without real mental health issues benefit from fat shaming either. In all cases, fat shaming makes the problem worse, not better. Plus, it's plain old mean-spirited and cruel. But the whole "suck it up" thing was said in the context of mental illness in general I think, like depression/anxiety.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Just to be clear, I'm not an apologist for fat people. I just think differently about problem. My understanding from reading the research on food addiction and other eating disorders is that the whole "willpower" argument IS part of the problem. People with anorexia, for example, tell themselves all the time that if they just had the willpower, they will be thin, so they starve themselves and exercise to death. Then when they eat, they beat themselves up for not having willpower, and then they purge. The cycle is just vicious. I understand the desire to urge people to overcome and survive and just keep going when it gets tough. But for people with an eating disorder, there IS a component of mental illness. I would not be surprised if a significant number of obese people also suffer from mental illness, which for most people is an invisible disease. None of us know for sure what other people carry around.
    For three years, I had a side gig at a meal planning company. I learned that it is 99.9% impossible to change people's beliefs and habits surrounding food. There is no money at all in trying to help people put nutritious meals on the family table. Food costs are through the roof, for one, so the profit margin is quite small -- and very few people want to do the work to prep meals. They're busy and stressed the fuck out so they short-cut their diet to save time. Most people are thoroughly confused about what's healthy and what's not, even though the science is pretty consistently clear on some basic principles. Nutritional studies get misrepresented in the media all the time, so one week something's good, the next it's bad, then it's good. Of course people give up. I'm not saying it's right to give up. I'm just saying I can understand why they do. 
    Knowing how absolutely hard it is to maintain my current health in my 137 pound frame, I'm inclined to want to help a 250 pound woman in whatever way I can. That's just me.      
  • Options

• Options
    Just to be clear, I'm not an apologist for fat people. I just think differently about problem. My understanding from reading the research on food addiction and other eating disorders is that the whole "willpower" argument IS part of the problem. People with anorexia, for example, tell themselves all the time that if they just had the willpower, they will be thin, so they starve themselves and exercise to death. Then when they eat, they beat themselves up for not having willpower, and then they purge. The cycle is just vicious. I understand the desire to urge people to overcome and survive and just keep going when it gets tough. But for people with an eating disorder, there IS a component of mental illness. I would not be surprised if a significant number of obese people also suffer from mental illness, which for most people is an invisible disease. None of us know for sure what other people carry around.
    For three years, I had a side gig at a meal planning company. I learned that it is 99.9% impossible to change people's beliefs and habits surrounding food. There is no money at all in trying to help people put nutritious meals on the family table. Food costs are through the roof, for one, so the profit margin is quite small -- and very few people want to do the work to prep meals. They're busy and stressed the fuck out so they short-cut their diet to save time. Most people are thoroughly confused about what's healthy and what's not, even though the science is pretty consistently clear on some basic principles. Nutritional studies get misrepresented in the media all the time, so one week something's good, the next it's bad, then it's good. Of course people give up. I'm not saying it's right to give up. I'm just saying I can understand why they do. 
    Knowing how absolutely hard it is to maintain my current health in my 137 pound frame, I'm inclined to want to help a 250 pound woman in whatever way I can. That's just me.      
    you are right. people will choose convenience over quality nearly 100% of the time. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    It's certainly a very complicated relationship between addiction and mental illness.  We really don't understand human behaviour half as well as someone who has a PhD in psychology/psychiatry would like the public to believe.
  • Options
    Unpopular opinion on the MT:

If help is what an obese person wants and help is what they are prepared to accept... then I'm fully in their corner to whatever capacity that fat friend of mine might need from me.

If an obese person wallows in their obesity- typically consuming way more calories than they expend- then they can own their condition. More often than not, when I hear a fat person complain about their weight to me and I offer them realistic solutions to their problem... they make a litany of excuses why none of the suggestions could possibly work. 

And man... I'm really beginning to worry how much the term 'mental illness' gets carelessly tossed around. 'Mental illness' is not always the answer to poor human behaviour. It doesn't develop from typical everyday stressors that all humans face and deal with. From what I have come to understand, if it's not genetically or environmentally developed, mental illness usually manifests itself from trauma or repetitive and intense stress (particularly in the developmental years).

Having said that, a person may develop some form of mental illness dealing with their obesity (ie. looking in the mirror and becoming clinically depressed- not just sad); however, let's be honest here... the overwhelming percentage of people who became obese did so as a result of poor choices on their own accord. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

If help is what an obese person wants and help is what they are prepared to accept... then I'm fully in their corner to whatever capacity that fat friend of mine might need from me.

If an obese person wallows in their obesity- typically consuming way more calories than they expend- then they can own their condition. More often than not, when I hear a fat person complain about their weight to me and I offer them realistic solutions to their problem... they make a litany of excuses why none of the suggestions could possibly work. 

And man... I'm really beginning to worry how much the term 'mental illness' gets carelessly tossed around. 'Mental illness' is not always the answer to poor human behaviour. It doesn't develop from typical everyday stressors that all humans face and deal with. From what I have come to understand, if it's not genetically or environmentally developed, mental illness usually manifests itself from trauma or repetitive and intense stress (particularly in the developmental years).

Having said that, a person may develop some form of mental illness dealing with their obesity (ie. looking in the mirror and becoming clinically depressed- not just sad); however, let's be honest here... the overwhelming percentage of people who became obese did so as a result of poor choices on their own accord. 
    I'm not sure mental illness is being carelessly tossed around. I think it's just that we weren't prepared for how rampant it really is, and how far-reaching it can be with regards to other problems that can manifest as a result. 

no one is suggesting that all obesity stems from mental illness. far from it. diet and exercise are obviously the biggest factor. All I was saying is that in MY CASE I believe it to be a factor. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I'm not sure mental illness is being carelessly tossed around. I think it's just that we weren't prepared for how rampant it really is, and how far-reaching it can be with regards to other problems that can manifest as a result. 

no one is suggesting that all obesity stems from mental illness. far from it. diet and exercise are obviously the biggest factor. All I was saying is that in MY CASE I believe it to be a factor. 

I wasn't directing anything towards anyone in particular and I also refer to many other threads where people sign off and mental illness as a likely causal factor.
  • Options

I wasn't directing anything towards anyone in particular and I also refer to many other threads where people sign off and mental illness as a likely causal factor.
    yeah, I knew it was a general comment. just tossing in my $0.02, that's all. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I figured. Just making sure. I'm the last Canadian friend you got around here right now lol.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

I figured. Just making sure. I'm the last Canadian friend you got around here right now lol.
    my number of canadian friends is the exact same as it was last week. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I think "mental illness" is carelessly tossed around in our society.  I understand why, for most of human history, the subject was handled with zero tact, no empathy. I worry now that we are tipping the other direction.
    When you know someone intimately with legitimate chemical imbalances like severe bipolar disorder, it's pretty much inevitable that you will at some point be disgusted by other people's self-pity and wallowing behaviour that society is eager to call mental illness. 

This isn't an attempt to diminish anybody's suffering.  The fact remains, SPD is rising exponentially and awareness isn't slowing the trend at all. 
    Is society coddling people?  I don't know, all I can do is try to treat the issue with candor and truth and treat people with compassion always.  Period.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    What's really being thrown around is "ADHD" and "ADD". I am truly horrified by the way parents, schools, doctors, and society in general are so willing to say a kid has ADD or ADHD. Someone has to fucking do something about that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    What's really being thrown around is "ADHD" and "ADD". I am truly horrified by the way parents, schools, doctors, and society in general are so willing to say a kid has ADD or ADHD. Someone has to fucking do something about that.
    That's sort of the archetypal example of how science doesn't have a way of determining where the boundaries of "normal" human behaviour exist.
    Kids (little boys in particular) are naturally rambunctious and lack focus, so where is the line drawn between "this kid is just rowdy" and "this kid needs to be put on psychoactive drugs"?
  • Options

There's a lot of trauma in this world. People don't talk about the abuse they've suffered. But it's there.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    After thought  -- I think that's why the article I posted struck home. So many stories and statistics of people in crisis who go to doctors for help, not even really knowing what they need help for, and then being dished out extremely unhelpful advice, diagnoses, etc. Someone looked at them, saw their weight, and decided that was their problem without listening.  I feel so guilty because for years I would tell my mom, go to the doctor, it could be water, maybe you need your medicine adjusted, you never know. She would say, "All they're going to tell me is that I'm fat, eat a lettuce leaf." And then she almost died from fucking undiagnosed heart failure because she didn't want to be told -- AGAIN -- "you're fat," like she didn't know. I was absolutely right about the water, which was just a fucking guess on my part, and there were a half dozen other things I or she didn't even know (kidney involvement, the electrolyte imbalance which affects the brain, etc). It was crazy. All because of a bias against fat people, and a heavy person's unwillingness to endure that shame any more so she wouldn't go to the doctor even though she knew she was sick. If we can't trust the people who are supposed to help us, we're fucked. Her weight aside -- if you're sick, your're sick. Nobody should care whose fault it is or how they got that way. You treat the sick person.
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Options

There's a lot of trauma in this world. People don't talk about the abuse they've suffered. But it's there.

I wouldn't argue much against this assertion.
  • Options
    And another after-thought before I go to bed -- the rising epidemic of social-emotional problems in young people is truly alarming. It's an urgent problem that our culture needs to address. I work with middle school kids -- I should say, I play whack-a-mole with middle school kids. I'm supposed to be an English teacher. I spend all day, five days a week, dealing with one emotional crisis after the other. . .

And yes, there are the "fake" ADHD kids, too. Just filled out a questionnaire today for a sweet, hard-working but mostly academic-average young lady who thinks (really, her parents think) she might be ADHD. When she reads those stupid benchmark tests to determine if she'll pass the end of year test -- she just has a hard time concentrating. I told her, no kidding. The tests are boring. They're awful. Everybody tunes out awful, boring stuff. . . . Then I wrote in her report next to the "occasional" rating circled about "trouble focusing on tasks"  -- ONLY ON BORING ACTIVITIES. I'm practically begging the unknown doctor on the other side of the report -- please don't medicate this sweet, kind, conscientious young lady just because she has a C in 7th grade English.  
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…