Options

'TWO BIG PIGS': Rude woman kicked off flight after fat-shaming meltdown

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    They have issues with their glands, it is not their fault.
    Definitely true for some. Definitely not true for others.
    I have a friend who stops by 7-11 and gets a 64 oz soda every morning. That is just one of several soft drinks he has in the day. He also weighs over 300 lbs.
    But others do have genetic/gland issues for sure.
    Comparing America to other countries, our weight issues and our eating habits, I think its easy to say eating habits is a large contributor to it. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I have a friend who stops by 7-11 and gets a 64 oz soda every morning. That is just one of several soft drinks he has in the day. He also weighs over 300 lbs.
    Comparing America to other countries, our weight issues and our eating habits, I think its easy to say eating habits is a large contributor to it. 
    The glandular problems can be managed, but they are challenging for sure.

My experience in America (ball parks, stadiums, airports, malls, etc.) is one that depicts over-indulgence as the root cause of the US' obesity problem.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
    mace1229 said:

My experience in America (ball parks, stadiums, airports, malls, etc.) is one that depicts over-indulgence as the root cause of the US' obesity problem.
    That's most likely the case with a woman I saw in a gas station the other day.  She was in line in front of me and had her arms loaded with potato chips, candy, and other assorted junk food and a large soft drink.  She was huge.  Oh, and she also bought cigarettes.  And this is not an uncommon sight. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Agree with the 3 of you- gland comment was sarcasm.  ;)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Do other countries even have All-you-can-eat buffets?
    Go to Golden Corral and look at the average weight of people there, and either gland issues are an epidemic in America, or people just overeat. 
    Again, that isn't all who are obese, but it definitely seems like eating habits are the bigger factor.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    We here in America are so far away from eating actual food, on the whole, and I think this compounds the issues.
    Even if people do not overeat, they eat processed and shit filled foods.  Stuff is awful for us -- how in the hell does a body break all of that garbage down?
    My wife is a crazed woman with buying organic and food that is actually made up of food (and not things you cannot pronounce) as often as she can -- and the expense is huge compared to how other food is sold.  I recently marveled at what a young couple in front of my at the local supermarket got for $57.00.  I had half as many items (or less) than they did and my shit cost about 3x what they got.
    Unhealthy?  Yes, but that might be what they need to do so that their family can eat.  (Neither of them appeared to be unhealthy.)

Also -- the assholes who designed the way people should eat made grains/cereals one of the 4 food groups.  (USDA)  Why in the fuck do we need to eat bread?  We don't.  Does bread grow on a tree?  Do we hunt it?  We don't need it.  Lots of reasons to not eat it to excess.

Something that blew us away recently was the revelation that a school lunch requirement for vegetables can be met with french fries.
    Fucking french fries count as vegetables?  (Yes, as 'starchy vegetables'...)

It is no wonder we are a country of huge people.

We treat smokers like serial killers here....but it is OK to serve gigantic plates of "food", soda, and to offer deserts and add-ons to nearly every meal.    Good idea to shame the fuck out of anyone who chooses to smoke and provide super sized meals with fake food to people from a young age.  (And also to make endless excuses for those who choose to over-eat)
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Go to Golden Corral and look at the average weight of people there, and either gland issues are an epidemic in America, or people just overeat. 
    Again, that isn't all who are obese, but it definitely seems like eating habits are the bigger factor.
    Yup.  One of Ontario most popular restaurant is an all you can eat Chinese restaurant.  Canadians are catching up to Americans...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    We here in America are so far away from eating actual food, on the whole, and I think this compounds the issues.
    Even if people do not overeat, they eat processed and shit filled foods.  Stuff is awful for us -- how in the hell does a body break all of that garbage down?
    My wife is a crazed woman with buying organic and food that is actually made up of food (and not things you cannot pronounce) as often as she can -- and the expense is huge compared to how other food is sold.  I recently marveled at what a young couple in front of my at the local supermarket got for $57.00.  I had half as many items (or less) than they did and my shit cost about 3x what they got.
    Unhealthy?  Yes, but that might be what they need to do so that their family can eat.  (Neither of them appeared to be unhealthy.)

Also -- the assholes who designed the way people should eat made grains/cereals one of the 4 food groups.  (USDA)  Why in the fuck do we need to eat bread?  We don't.  Does bread grow on a tree?  Do we hunt it?  We don't need it.  Lots of reasons to not eat it to excess.

Something that blew us away recently was the revelation that a school lunch requirement for vegetables can be met with french fries.

We treat smokers like serial killers here....but it is OK to serve gigantic plates of "food", soda, and to offer deserts and add-ons to nearly every meal.    Good idea to shame the fuck out of anyone who chooses to smoke and provide super sized meals with fake food to people from a young age.  (And also to make endless excuses for those who choose to over-eat)
    At least it’s a step up from when Reagan declared ketchup a vegetable. Question is, do school lunch programs serve both?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited January 2019
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yup.  One of Ontario most popular restaurant is an all you can eat Chinese restaurant.  Canadians are catching up to Americans...
    I don't think it's a Canadian thing per se, if that's true. Sounds regional to me. Maybe Ontario is catching up to America, but BC sure isn't. I've noticed that we had a little bit of an all-you-can-eat surge in the 90s, but it totally fell off after that, and you're now fairly hard pressed to find an all-you-can-eat place in metro Vancouver. There are still a few sushi places that offer it if you want (never busy), a couple fish & chips chains that do it (also never busy - I'm surprised they are still in business actually), and a small handful of other places, but none are doing great business with it, and many places that tried it have closed down. Nobody seems very interested in this concept at all anymore - it's more a "I'm really poor and need to try and stuff myself for cheap because I'm not going to eat well for the rest of the week" kind of thing to do, from what I can tell. And there definitely isn't any all-you-can-eat chain in BC that could be considered popular. The last really popular place like that here was probably The Sizzler, and I haven't seen one of those in decades.
    The 24/7 residence dining hall here on campus is "all-you-care-to-eat" though, but nobody goes to gorge. It's just set up so that everyone can go in any time and serve themselves, and make their own sandwiches and waffles and stuff. It's really just a serve yourself place, not a place where people want to go and stuff themselves stupid. And it's all highly nutritious food (excluding some fries and a couple desserts), which is obviously an important distinction.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

At least it’s a step up from when Reagan declared ketchup a vegetable. Question is, do school lunch programs serve both?
    Yes, I think they do provide the tomato based sugar delivery system aka ketchup for the starchy vegetables.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

My wife : "in this house we only eat foods we can pronounce!"

Me : "You know I took AP Chemistry, right?"
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Ha!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    People mustn't forget, though, that food is a pleasurable thing in life (or should be). And why in the fuck do we need to eat bread? Because it's delicious, that's why. Extremes are never necessary. On needn't ONLY buy organics and fresh and unprepared food (especially since the organics food industry is some good, and whole lot of bullshit). One shouldn't only buy prepared/processed food. It sure as hell isn't going to do any harm to have some non-organic/non-fresh food in your diet, as long as you moderate it all like a reasonable person. It's pretty simple. And ALL any government should ever do about this issue when it comes to consumers themselves (as opposed to regulation in manufacturing, i.e. banning trans fats) is educate. People still need the freedom as consumers and as sentient beings to decide what they put in their bodies, and I despise the idea of governments restricting options. Consumers should just be very well-educated, and then let their wallets do the talking in this context (my view on this is very much restricted to food and drugs btw. I'm not generally such a capitalist about things, lol. It's not about that - it's about COMPLETE freedom to do what we want with our own bodies).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I don't think it's a Canadian thing per se, if that's true. Sounds regional to me. Maybe Ontario is catching up to America, but BC sure isn't. I've noticed that we had a little bit of an all-you-can-eat surge in the 90s, but it totally fell off after that, and you're now fairly hard pressed to find an all-you-can-eat place in metro Vancouver. There are still a few sushi places that offer it if you want (never busy), a couple fish & chips chains that do it (also never busy - I'm surprised they are still in business actually), and a small handful of other places, but none are doing great business with it, and many places that tried it have closed down. Nobody seems very interested in this concept at all anymore - it's more a "I'm really poor and need to try and stuff myself for cheap because I'm not going to eat well for the rest of the week" kind of thing to do, from what I can tell. And there definitely isn't any all-you-can-eat chain in BC that could be considered popular. The last really popular place like that here was probably The Sizzler, and I haven't seen one of those in decades.
    The 24/7 residence dining hall here on campus is "all-you-care-to-eat" though, but nobody goes to gorge. It's just set up so that everyone can go in any time and serve themselves, and make their own sandwiches and waffles and stuff. It's really just a serve yourself place, not a place where people want to go and stuff themselves stupid. And it's all highly nutritious food (excluding some fries and a couple desserts), which is obviously an important distinction.

I had to look it up.  It's is called Mandarin Buffett, and it's not cheap, $19 before 4 (I Think), then $26 after.  If I'm spending 26 on a meal it'll be at a steak restaurant...but that's just me.  I can only think of 2 other restaurants that buffet style in my area, the casino has one, and another Chinese restaurant.  All you can eat buffets are needed, and for myself, they are not good value.  The best steak I never had was at a restaurant in Banff, I can not remember the name of the restaurant ... but damn that steak was good.  

Maybe all you can eat are not as big as the US.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I had to look it up.  It's is called Mandarin Buffett, and it's not cheap, $19 before 4 (I Think), then $26 after.  If I'm spending 26 on a meal it'll be at a steak restaurant...but that's just me.  I can only think of 2 other restaurants that buffet style in my area, the casino has one, and another Chinese restaurant.  All you can eat buffets are needed, and for myself, they are not good value.  The best steak I never had was at a restaurant in Banff, I can not remember the name of the restaurant ... but damn that steak was good.  

Right?? If I'm spending $26 on a meal, I'm sure as hell not going to do it in a fucking Mandarin Buffett, lol. I'm doing in a restaurant with a nice atmosphere and good, attentive service, where I can enjoy a few drinks, and hang out and chat for a few hours and indulge in the pleasure of dining out with friends. My goal is not to shovel as much food in my face as possible, and line up for my food holding a plate, lol.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

How do you know how good the steak was if you never had it?  :)

The world would be better off without all-you-can-eat buffets.  And the quality tends to lack big-time.  When I lived in a small town there was a restaurant that served, well, just a lot of food.  A lot.  We finally went there and the place was packed (unlike any other restaurant in a town with no good restaurants or even national chains; just burger places).  The average BMI was fairly high (but there were all kinds of people there) and the food was mediocre, to put it charitably.  The only conclusion I could come up with is that in this town (which had it's own "culture") a lot of people viewed this place as having good value because of the sheer quantity of food it served.  The whole thing was kinda gross and kinda 'Merican.   You had to leave that town to get to any decent restaurant outside of a couple of charming lunch spots and one surprisingly good Mexican place.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    The only buffets that are any good are the really high end special occasion ones. Like the Easter and Christmas brunch buffets that exclusive private golf clubs and weirdo business clubs for the CEO crowd put on.... I have a really rich and successful brother-in-law, so I actually end up at these things, lol. The people who attend them are largely intolerable bores, and some are even ridiculous, but the food is top notch! And an actual butler hands you a really amazing mimosa when you walk in. :lol: It's a very weird little slice of a life that I actually don't want to experience, lol, but I have to admit that it is fascinating to get a peek in via my sister and bro-in-law. It's everything we're led to believe it is in the movies, no shit. That isn't hyperbole or stereotyping folks. All that silly crap you see about the ultra rich, the high powered, and the super snobby of high society on TV is real. I was stunned when I found that out, lol. It's a riot to step in and observe every once in a while.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

How do you know how good the steak was if you never had it?  :)

The world would be better off without all-you-can-eat buffets.  And the quality tends to lack big-time.  When I lived in a small town there was a restaurant that served, well, just a lot of food.  A lot.  We finally went there and the place was packed (unlike any other restaurant in a town with no good restaurants or even national chains; just burger places).  The average BMI was fairly high (but there were all kinds of people there) and the food was mediocre, to put it charitably.  The only conclusion I could come up with is that in this town (which had it's own "culture") a lot of people viewed this place as having good value because of the sheer quantity of food it served.  The whole thing was kinda gross and kinda 'Merican.   You had to leave that town to get to any decent restaurant outside of a couple of charming lunch spots and one surprisingly good Mexican place.
    Sounds like Ek City, Oklahoma...

Had one, that is singular, ONE good restaurant in town.  Bunch of crappy chains and buffet's, and even had a Mexican place but even that was just ok.

I made a lot of home cooked meals whilst living in that town and was so happy when I got to leave.

People raved about the buffets.

F them...
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    This reminds me of an boyfriend I had in university. He was on the basketball team and a really serious player, and was 6'10" and 350 pounds, all muscle (lucky me, lol!!! He was also gorgeous, plus we got along great :heart: ). So he could barely keep himself fed, since he required like 8000 calories a day. He would order those huge plates of nachos that tables share just for his own appetizer, lol. If we ordered pizza, he'd ask for 2 large, and then ask me what I wanted. :lol: But as a student, he really couldn't afford this much food, so he'd go to all-you-can-eat places... And kept getting banned from them!! The sushi places were particularly offended by him. He could only go to each all-you-can-eat sushi places exactly ONCE. So we'd have to go all over the city to screw over these places (in his comically compact car, too, hahaha!), where he'd pay $15 and eat probably $200 worth of sushi. Lucky for all these business owners he wasn't litigious, because banning someone from an all-you-can-eat place for eating all he could eat would probably have been an easy case to win, lol.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518
    if he was 350 he wasn't all muscle.  :)
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Smellyman said:
    He had about 4% body fat. He was fucking huge and ripped. So I don't know what to tell you, lol. He was a heavy, tall fucker with massive broad shoulders with no fat and a shitload of muscle. He was an All-American player in the early 90s, and, very weirdly, held a world record for a rowing machine (for speed). :lol:
    He eventually had to stop playing because he fucked his knees up - no surprise with all that weight on them. But he's apparently a successful personal trainer now (coached college ball for some years).
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:
    He had about 4% body fat. He was fucking huge and ripped. So I don't know what to tell you, lol. He was a heavy, tall fucker with massive broad shoulders with no fat and a shitload of muscle. He was an All-American player in the early 90s, and, very weirdly, held a world record for a rowing machine (for speed). :lol:
    He eventually had to stop playing because he fucked his knees up - no surprise with all that weight on them. But he's apparently a successful personal trainer now (coached college ball for some years).
    So ... Shaq was 7’1” and weighed 325. Doesn’t really change your story but no way this dude weighed 350.  

Edit: I should say if he was an all-American basketball (college level assuming) ... then he wasn’t 350 pounds I should say :)

Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680

I can picture that.  Of course you probably got 10X the nutritional value so really, you came out ahead.  And will live longer and more happily for it.

Because of my migraines, I'm going deeper into more pure foods than ever- mostly organic fruits and vegetable, organic brown bismati rice and organic jasmine rice, a little organic chicken, spinach wraps instead of bread, sweet potatoes and lots of water.  I've been about 10 to 15 pounds overweight for a couple of years and with that improved diet, already lost two pounds in one week.  Now if I could just lose the dam headaches!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    This reminds me of an boyfriend I had in university. He was on the basketball team and a really serious player, and was 6'10" and 350 pounds, all muscle (lucky me, lol!!! He was also gorgeous, plus we got along great :heart: ). So he could barely keep himself fed, since he required like 8000 calories a day. He would order those huge plates of nachos that tables share just for his own appetizer, lol. If we ordered pizza, he'd ask for 2 large, and then ask me what I wanted. :lol: But as a student, he really couldn't afford this much food, so he'd go to all-you-can-eat places... And kept getting banned from them!! The sushi places were particularly offended by him. He could only go to each all-you-can-eat sushi places exactly ONCE. So we'd have to go all over the city to screw over these places (in his comically compact car, too, hahaha!), where he'd pay $15 and eat probably $200 worth of sushi. Lucky for all these business owners he wasn't litigious, because banning someone from an all-you-can-eat place for eating all he could eat would probably have been an easy case to win, lol.
    I didn't know they actually kicked people out. I've never heard of that. I honestly can't see that happening here, unfortunately there would be some sort of class action law suit probably. But then again, if you're going to ban people for eating too much, then give those old ladies a refund who eat $2 worth of food. I'm sure businesses have thought about the price and factor in those guys along with everyone else.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:
    So ... Shaq was 7’1” and weighed 325. Doesn’t really change your story but no way this dude weighed 350.  

Edit: I should say if he was an all-American basketball (college level assuming) ... then he wasn’t 350 pounds I should say :)

Shaq was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than 325.  Zion is listed at 280 and he is small compaired to shaq.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:

Shaq was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than 325.  Zion is listed at 280 and he is small compaired to shaq.
    In college.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:

In college.
    Gotcha.  Her BF could have been 250 and it would have seemed like godzilla, lol.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    edited February 2019
    To me there's nothing worse than rude and impolite people in airports and on airplanes.

Once on a flight from FLLauderdale to DC, while the flight attendant was trying to continue her safety demonstration (it wasn't prerecorded) a lady behind kept talking loudly through it. I could not hear the attendant and other passengers couldn't hear them as well. I couldn't take it anymore so I unbuckled sat up over my seat  and looked her in eyes and said, "excuse me but I'm trying hear the attendant's safety instructions reason being I want to be the one to be able to save your life and anyone else hear, thank you." It was kind of sad because I said it just loud enough that the other passengers all heard what I said and began to applaud what and how I spoke to the woman. 

A look of complete shame came over the woman and naturally complete silence for the rest of the flight. After we landed i saw the same woman in the airport, in a wheelchair and appeared to be having trouble walking. Something I had no knowledge of and if we had plane troubles SHE would have been one of the first passengers I would have helped. Hopefully she learned something for the experience.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)