Options

'TWO BIG PIGS': Rude woman kicked off flight after fat-shaming meltdown

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited January 2019
    The phrase "Well I'm not politically correct!" is code for "I'm a fucking asshole who treats people badly because I lack any sense of empathy."
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    The phrase "Well I'm not politically correct!" is code for "I'm a fucking asshole who treats people badly because I lack any sense of empathy."
    Every. Single. Time.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,716
    I don't think her complaint is unjustified but the way she went about it sure is.  She could have just discretely gone up to one of the flight attendants and explained the situation and asked is there were other options for seating.  Then maybe they could have put a kid or someone small who would fit in the tight space.  This could have been handled way better.  But then, a lot of people just prefer to be pissed off.

It's also sad that obesity is so common that this kind of thing happens more often than it used to.  There have been reports of several similar situations on airplanes.  When I in middle school and high school my father worked for a major airline and we flew about once a year and never had a problem with not having enough room to sit on the plane.  Part of that may be that seats are smaller, but in general, so were people.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,390
    I blame airlines and their tiny seats. Even a moderately sized man seems squeezed in
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    brianlux said:
    I don't think her complaint is unjustified but the way she went about it sure is.  She could have just discretely gone up to one of the flight attendants and explained the situation and asked is there were other options for seating.  Then maybe they could have put a kid or someone small who would fit in the tight space.  This could have been handled way better.  But then, a lot of people just prefer to be pissed off.

It's also sad that obesity is so common that this kind of thing happens more often than it used to.  There have been reports of several similar situations on airplanes.  When I in middle school and high school my father worked for a major airline and we flew about once a year and never had a problem with not having enough room to sit on the plane.  Part of that may be that seats are smaller, but in general, so were people.
    Yeah, like you say, the seats on planes back when you were in high school were twice as big as they are now, lol. The seats these days aren't big enough for average sized people, let alone overweight people. It's ridiculous. So yep, people got bigger, seats got smaller. I blame the airlines for that one. And seriously, I've flown enough to know that if there was REALLY a problem wherein there truly wasn't enough room, they would have forced the biggest of those people to buy the second seat. I think that lady was just being a huge bitch. Suck it up princess - nobody is comfortable in economy!!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823
    edited January 2019
    brianlux said:

It also may be that we see these stories and it gets us thinking it happens more often than it really does.  I fly a few times a year and it's never happened to me, though my wife had someone that was bordering on needing two seats.  But, I do think if we see a few stories a year, we could over-estimate the frequency. (of course, my experience is also anecdotal...)
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

Yeah, like you say, the seats on planes back when you were in high school were twice as big as they are now, lol. The seats these days aren't big enough for average sized people, let alone overweight people. It's ridiculous. So yep, people got bigger, seats got smaller. I blame the airlines for that one. And seriously, I've flown enough to know that if there was REALLY a problem wherein there truly wasn't enough room, they would have forced the biggest of those people to buy the second seat. I think that lady was just being a huge bitch. Suck it up princess - nobody is comfortable in economy!!
    I haven't flown since the late 80's so that sucks.  Bummer for people in general who can't afford 1st class seating (most people can't!).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:

It also may be that we see these stories and it gets us thinking it happens more often than it really does.  I fly a few times a year and it's never happened to me, though my wife had someone that was bordering on needing two seats.  But, I do think if we see a few stories a year, we could over-estimate the frequency. (of course, my experience is also anecdotal...)
    Yeah, you're probably right.  Good old Face Book news, right?  :lol:

• Options
    I agree airline seat is not the roomiest and you do not get much leg room.  My guess when people behave this way, it's often their normal behaviour for most difficult situations and has probably gotten her way most times, that's why the behaviour continues.  But you can not raise a fuss like that on an airline post 911, they just boot you off or call the police.

I have found in most instances that if you just explain situation politely then the people who can help usually will do their best.  Behave like this woman and this is usually the end results.

I do not know why fat shaming is tolerated by some.  Anyways, this was a sad situation and I really felt awful for the people sitting beside her.

The lady sitting beside her handled it better than most would have, and she did not put herself in a position to escalate the situation.  I commend her for that.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    brianlux said:

I think this is a good take on what we saw there.

The woman who was in the middle seat is obviously not a nice person.  To talk on the phone loudly like that while on a plane is enough reason for me to have a problem with people....but to do so in a way to clearly antagonize the two human beings sitting on either side of her is just plain mean.

That being stated.....it is total bullshit that  the airline provides individuals single tickets when they cannot fit in the seats.  I have flown as many as 40-50 trips a year (which means 80-100 flights if all were direct to/from) over the past 7 years since moving and the best part about status on the plane is being able to pick the aisle seat.  I can move the armrest up and slide over if the person beside me is obese.

Historically I have been in the position this woman was in -- recall one flight from Detroit to La Guardia in particular where one of the obese people also smelled like they had rolled in goat turds for an hour before boarding.  I honestly was ok with the plane crashing about halfway through our trip.  Miserable.

They don't let you bring more luggage than will fit, they should make people buy 2 seats if they cannot fit properly in one.  I know they did this to Kevin Smith on Southwest a while back and got some negative pub for it.

The closest I had to any sort of altercation was one time where the woman who came and sat next to me in the middle seat wanted to put the armrest up and I asked her to keep it down.  I know am sure it was uncomfortable for her based on her size, but I did not want her body pressed against mine for hours.  If that makes me a bad person I guess I am OK with it.  I try to be the best that I can, but I am sure I fall short at times.

This lady was horrible about it and I am shocked she did not have a red hat on with the way she thought it was OK to treat people.
    (A footnote to the woman who taped this...calling someone a bitch is verbally abusive.  Not that I blame her given how the woman was with her....I think the shoe fits.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    brianlux said:

The woman who was in the middle seat is obviously not a nice person.  To talk on the phone loudly like that while on a plane is enough reason for me to have a problem with people....but to do so in a way to clearly antagonize the two human beings sitting on either side of her is just plain mean.

That being stated.....it is total bullshit that  the airline provides individuals single tickets when they cannot fit in the seats.  I have flown as many as 40-50 trips a year (which means 80-100 flights if all were direct to/from) over the past 7 years since moving and the best part about status on the plane is being able to pick the aisle seat.  I can move the armrest up and slide over if the person beside me is obese.

Historically I have been in the position this woman was in -- recall one flight from Detroit to La Guardia in particular where one of the obese people also smelled like they had rolled in goat turds for an hour before boarding.  I honestly was ok with the plane crashing about halfway through our trip.  Miserable.

They don't let you bring more luggage than will fit, they should make people buy 2 seats if they cannot fit properly in one.  I know they did this to Kevin Smith on Southwest a while back and got some negative pub for it.

The closest I had to any sort of altercation was one time where the woman who came and sat next to me in the middle seat wanted to put the armrest up and I asked her to keep it down.  I know am sure it was uncomfortable for her based on her size, but I did not want her body pressed against mine for hours.  If that makes me a bad person I guess I am OK with it.  I try to be the best that I can, but I am sure I fall short at times.

This lady was horrible about it and I am shocked she did not have a red hat on with the way she thought it was OK to treat people.
    (A footnote to the woman who taped this...calling someone a bitch is verbally abusive.  Not that I blame her given how the woman was with her....I think the shoe fits.)
    Good points all around.  I'm glad my job doesn't require flying.  I think I'd have to change careers.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    brianlux said:

I blame airlines and their tiny seats. Even a moderately sized man seems squeezed in
    No shit. My biggest problem is my knees. And if the fucker in front of me decided they want to lean back? Ouch! 

Assholes are a bigger pain then overweight people. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good points all around.  I'm glad my job doesn't require flying.  I think I'd have to change careers.
    I have a solid routine and follow it.  Actually do not mind, for the most part.
    The largest drawback, unsurprisingly, is people.  People who fly infrequently and do not understand how to make things go smoothly.  I get it but it is an annoyance.  The biggest one is rude ass people.  People like this woman.  People who act like the plane is their shitty apartment.
    Watching people at airports is a master-class in human behavior and in particular, why Americans are viewed the way we are.
    I am bitter when I cannot go into the airport clubs and escape the behavior of the masses.  So many drunk, loud, intolerant, abusive, ignorant people.  It really is incredible.  I have seen SO many things I never thought I would see -- I can only imagine what the stories are like from people who work at airports.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The only part of flying as a career that intrigues me is being a pilot.  At least you can shut the cockpit door and not have to hear and see some of that craziness.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    This woman was a royal doosh. The loud cackling on the phone was a dead giveaway to her dooshiness. To boot... she wasn't exactly the picture of health herself- she just happened to be thinner than those two people.

I'm glad the other people stood up for the two fat people. They clearly have health issues, but they didn't seem to have any social issues which makes them okay in my books- they were way more patient than I would have been.

People need to do a better job of maintaining lifelong fitness though. Pure and simple. I see people grow up in wheelchairs or missing limbs... and then I see able-bodied people abuse themselves to the point of obesity and the gift they've been given... and I don't really like it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The largest drawback, unsurprisingly, is people.  People who fly infrequently and do not understand how to make things go smoothly.  I get it but it is an annoyance.  The biggest one is rude ass people.  People like this woman.  People who act like the plane is their shitty apartment.
    Watching people at airports is a master-class in human behavior and in particular, why Americans are viewed the way we are.
    I am bitter when I cannot go into the airport clubs and escape the behavior of the masses.  So many drunk, loud, intolerant, abusive, ignorant people.  It really is incredible.  I have seen SO many things I never thought I would see -- I can only imagine what the stories are like from people who work at airports.

Easy solution:  Send them down to the belly of the plane in the baggage compartment and tell them stretch out as much as they like.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Easy solution:  Send them down to the belly of the plane in the baggage compartment and tell them stretch out as much as they like.
    I like this.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    I read that.  He is a disgusting POS that should have been wheeled off the plane in mid-flight...

But the flight attendant should have refused after she punched him in the nose and throat...

But in all seriousness, just leave the pig in the bathroom with his pants down.  If you are travelling and require personal care then you bring your own support worker.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

I would have refused.

Not a chance I'd have helped him. "Help yourself, man."
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I used to fly frequently and was always surprised at how many people it seemed were flying for the first time.

Doesn't anyone pay attention to what the other 20 people did in front of you?

Also thread integrity, I sat next to a very large co-worker who wasn't always pleasant smelling on a flight that was going to be 14 hours long.

I asked the flight attendant to please find me another seat and they did.  
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    I hate every aspect of plane travel nowadays.  The moment on the way to the airport to leaving the airport.  It all f'ing sucks.

Trying to talk my wife into a sailboat.
  • Options

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    I hate every aspect of plane travel nowadays.  The moment on the way to the airport to leaving the airport.  It all f'ing sucks.

Flying is very fun when you focus on "people watching".

I loved it.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Smellyman said:

Flying is very fun when you focus on "people watching".

I loved it.
    There was a time when I felt that way too.
    No longer.
    Now I keep my head down and go to whichever one of the lounges I can gain access to.  The shitty small airports often do not have them so I am stuck observing at that point...nothing to do about it. 
    Once on the plane I have my head down as often as I can as well.  Sitting in the first few rows (or 1st class if I can bump) generally puts me with other frequent fliers who know to generally keep their heads down as well.  Some fuckers are like this blonde lady who choose to be rude and treat the seat as their personal office.  Most, do not.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    I really only hate flying on the holidays. Its much crazier, security lines take twice as long. Other than that I really don't mind it.

It does seem unfair to be stuck in that situation, but how that lady handled makes me have zero sympathy for her. You should be entitled to a certain amount of space, and when someone encroaches on it whether it be due to weight or any other reason, it really isn't fair.

I've always found it ironic that airlines are so strict with weight limits for luggage and overhead space, but then I seem them squeeze a 350 lb person into 1 seat.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I really only hate flying on the holidays. Its much crazier, security lines take twice as long. Other than that I really don't mind it.

It does seem unfair to be stuck in that situation, but how that lady handled makes me have zero sympathy for her. You should be entitled to a certain amount of space, and when someone encroaches on it whether it be due to weight or any other reason, it really isn't fair.

I've always found it ironic that airlines are so strict with weight limits for luggage and overhead space, but then I seem them squeeze a 350 lb person into 1 seat.
    The guy i mentioned before was pushing 400lbs.  He carried his own, yes his very own, "extender belt" for the seat belt so he wouldn't have to ask for one.

Guy traveled with his own.  How money is that?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Smellyman said:
    I read that.  He is a disgusting POS that should have been wheeled off the plane in mid-flight...

But the flight attendant should have refused after she punched him in the nose and throat...

But in all seriousness, just leave the pig in the bathroom with his pants down.  If you are travelling and require personal care then you bring your own support worker.
    Absolutely. If I'd been that flight attendant I would have told him to pound sand. I also would have told him that he's not allowed back to his seat with a shitty ass, so he better figure out a way to wipe it, or stay in the bathroom. I seriously can't believe the flight attendant actually agreed to do that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Society shouldn't cater to people being overly obese. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    They have issues with their glands, it is not their fault.