Options

'TWO BIG PIGS': Rude woman kicked off flight after fat-shaming meltdown

Comments

• Options
    Smellyman said:
    Can the Man was our favorite game.  whoever had the ball you chase and tackle the hell out of them.
    Yep, rumble fumble, the not so PC now Smear the queer, rack em sack em.  I'm sure it had other names too.
  • Options
    You know this is interesting because millenials weren't eating McDonalds and things like that and essentially killing the fast food industry and enjoyed better food options ae now being even more obese than before?  I guess it's time to stop w the Netflix and chill and actually go to a bar and catch a movie at the theatre?
    Or get off the devices and go outside and play, run around and throw dirt bombs at each other, play frisbee football in the street and run from the driver's who's car you just bombed with snowballs.
    Oh man I used to love when they gave chase after nailing them with snowballs!

Something else this generation doesn't understand is "skitching".  Not sure what you guys called it but it was when there was snow on the ground and you were towed behind a car.  Basically grabbing a bumper and skiing with just boots.
    We called that sketching and we also had slabbing, which was having a bunch of guys cross a distance on the ice on a bog, except the ice wasn’t quite thick enough to hold your weight for long. So, we’d line up and take turns crossing from shore to clump of ground, usually a clump of grass with a tree growing. One at a time, back and forth until someone fell in. The ice would crack and creak and water would seep up onto the surface of the ice. If you weren’t fleet of foot or were heavier than most, you were going down or in or both. The heaviest kid fell in so much that we let him go first. Anywhere from 4-12 kids would do it. It was wildly entertaining.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Smellyman said:
    Can the Man was our favorite game.  whoever had the ball you chase and tackle the hell out of them.
    Yep, rumble fumble, the not so PC now Smear the queer, rack em sack em.  I'm sure it had other names too.
    Well smear the queer is pretty bad.  that is what we called it too.  My mom made us change it to Can the Man.  :D
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    Well smear the queer is pretty bad.  that is what we called it too.  My mom made us change it to Can the Man.  :D
    There are lots of stupid things I can name of that we don't do anymore and not because we can't but because we now know better.  Your Mom was pretty progressive.  That is good to hear!
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/everything-you-know-about-obesity-is-wrong/
    I came across this article last week. It really hit home with me because of the experience I had last year with my mom's doctors while she was struggling in the hospital with heart failure and diabetes complications. I couldn't believe some of the things they said to me and her about her weight.
    For example, she had developed anemia and the doctor couldn't figure out why because my mom (rather stupidly) refused to have a colonoscopy to rule out stomach bleeding. I told the doctor it was most likely because she was malnourished, and that doctor had the nerve to say to me in front of her that "you don't get to be 210 pounds from not eating." I told him the absolute truth -- she wasn't eating! I used to bring her prepared low-carb, low-sodium meals on Sunday and when I would visit her on Wednesday, the same food was still in the refrigerator, and I'd nag her, then we'd fight about eating, and then I'd leave. Then the next Sunday I would have to throw that food out and start all over again with a new batch. This went on for at least four months. All she ate was yogurt, cereal, and the occasional apple sauce. Yes, she was anemic because she wasn't eating right, all 210 pounds of her!
    Then there was the rehab doctor who tells my mother while she's lying in bed delusional from a magnesium deficiency this time, who could barely walk from being de-conditioned in the hospital bed -- "Ya know, it would be really good for you if you lose weight."  Dude, how about we make sure her magnesium levels normalize first? She doesn't even understand where she is and who you are!!! And if diet is a problem, how about you tell the so-called dietitian on staff to stop offering her bullshit sugar-free ice cream after every meal? 
    After her two month stay in the hell-care system, she moved in with me, and thankfully her near-death experience convinced her to comply with my meal plan for her. She lost forty pounds in two months. But here's the kicker -- ALL of it was WATER built up from the heart failure that the damned doctors in the hospital or the rehab couldn't figure out how to get off her. Yes, that's right -- forty pounds of water, not fat -- and her crappy doctor had the nerve to tell a sick, dying woman in bed to go on a diet and exercise more. Makes me so angry thinking about it. Thank god we finally got her to a good cardiologist who recognized that she needed more diuretic, not weight watchers!!! She pissed off every pound!
    Anyhow, take the time to read the article. It may make you think differently about this issue if you have not already had experiences like mine.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/everything-you-know-about-obesity-is-wrong/
    I came across this article last week. It really hit home with me because of the experience I had last year with my mom's doctors while she was struggling in the hospital with heart failure and diabetes complications. I couldn't believe some of the things they said to me and her about her weight.
    For example, she had developed anemia and the doctor couldn't figure out why because my mom (rather stupidly) refused to have a colonoscopy to rule out stomach bleeding. I told the doctor it was most likely because she was malnourished, and that doctor had the nerve to say to me in front of her that "you don't get to be 210 pounds from not eating." I told him the absolute truth -- she wasn't eating! I used to bring her prepared low-carb, low-sodium meals on Sunday and when I would visit her on Wednesday, the same food was still in the refrigerator, and I'd nag her, then we'd fight about eating, and then I'd leave. Then the next Sunday I would have to throw that food out and start all over again with a new batch. This went on for at least four months. All she ate was yogurt, cereal, and the occasional apple sauce. Yes, she was anemic because she wasn't eating right, all 210 pounds of her!
    Then there was the rehab doctor who tells my mother while she's lying in bed delusional from a magnesium deficiency this time, who could barely walk from being de-conditioned in the hospital bed -- "Ya know, it would be really good for you if you lose weight."  Dude, how about we make sure her magnesium levels normalize first? She doesn't even understand where she is and who you are!!! And if diet is a problem, how about you tell the so-called dietitian on staff to stop offering her bullshit sugar-free ice cream after every meal? 
    After her two month stay in the hell-care system, she moved in with me, and thankfully her near-death experience convinced her to comply with my meal plan for her. She lost forty pounds in two months. But here's the kicker -- ALL of it was WATER built up from the heart failure that the damned doctors in the hospital or the rehab couldn't figure out how to get off her. Yes, that's right -- forty pounds of water, not fat -- and her crappy doctor had the nerve to tell a sick, dying woman in bed to go on a diet and exercise more. Makes me so angry thinking about it. Thank god we finally got her to a good cardiologist who recognized that she needed more diuretic, not weight watchers!!! She pissed off every pound!
    Anyhow, take the time to read the article. It may make you think differently about this issue if you have not already had experiences like mine.
    One anecdotal story doesn't mean what we know about obesity is wrong.
  • Options
    Smellyman, how about reading the article? It's FULL of science, made especially for people like you. Good grief.
  • Options
    Haven't been on the forums on a long time. I can see some things never change.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,571
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:
    if he was 350 he wasn't all muscle.  :)
    He had about 4% body fat. He was fucking huge and ripped. So I don't know what to tell you, lol. He was a heavy, tall fucker with massive broad shoulders with no fat and a shitload of muscle. He was an All-American player in the early 90s, and, very weirdly, held a world record for a rowing machine (for speed). :lol:
    He eventually had to stop playing because he fucked his knees up - no surprise with all that weight on them. But he's apparently a successful personal trainer now (coached college ball for some years).
    So ... Shaq was 7’1” and weighed 325. Doesn’t really change your story but no way this dude weighed 350.  

Edit: I should say if he was an all-American basketball (college level assuming) ... then he wasn’t 350 pounds I should say :)

Not all bodies weigh the same (he also played for national teams, not just college BB, not that that makes any difference). WTF is going on here. I'm fucking telling you about someone I knew intimately, and you're what? Calling me a liar? I don't care what you believe. I'm telling the truth. Lie to yourself about what is and isn't possible all you want, I don't give a shit.
    Sheesh relax.  You made a statement...I am interested as I love college basketball.  You mentioned meeting him at University and him being an all-american.  I thought to myself...I don't remember a player like that.  I looked at the all-american teams in the 90's.  Shaq weighed the most.  No one else close.  So I said - if he was an all-american at the college level he couldn't have weighed that much.  So he must have either not weighed 350 pounds or not been a college all-american.  Heck even Big Country was 7'1" and weighed between 275-300 pounds. Robert Traylor was about 300 pounds.

So I certainly didnt call you a liar.  I said based on the assumptions I made while looking into it it wouldn;t be accurate.  But the assumptions could be wrong. Man everyone questioning your statement as it was an extreme weight and yet you focus on me...hmmmm,...lol
    i didn't read everything but PJ_Soul is in Vancouver according to the listed name line above so it could be a Canadian player not US College player. and yes I was curious on who the player might  have been if he was an american college player.  there is none who if were an all-american who i wouldn't have heard of either. 
    Yup I thought that, but she wrote "All-american".  Anyhow, doesn't matter.  Like I said I just really like college basketball and couldn't remember a player like that.
    NAIA all-American. I have NO idea if there is more than one all-American game, lol, I despise basketball. Perhaps there are different leagues. I also have no clue if they listed his height or weight, or if it was accurate, or even if he was the same height or weight then. I actually didn't even meet him until 2 years after he did that. I was still in high school when he was on an All-American team. Obviously I'm not going to tell everyone who this person is, as that's just too personal and too exposing IMO - I don't name people in my personal life online. But anyway.... It was really fun to have such a huge boyfriend, lol. I'm a tall woman, and always feel like an Amazon woman around average sized men. A guy his size made me so petite for the first time in my life - the guy could pick me up over his head if he wanted to. It was like a tall girl fantasy coming to life. :lol:

You guys shoulda bred.
    Yeah, our children would have been 9 feet tall and 800 pounds. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Joe Rogan - Why Obese People Can't Lose Weight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiQevGDPgRY
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Smellyman, how about reading the article? It's FULL of science, made especially for people like you. Good grief.
    It isn't full of science.
    It mentions one outdated study and the author uses his personal opinion to extrapolate irresponsibly.
    Diets absolutely do work!  All of them!
    The problem is people, people don't work diets.  The reason isn't biological and it isn't immutable, it's simple willpower.
    If metabolic rate really responded so vigorously, and had such a profound effect, then people who lose weight and keep it off would be medical anomalies.  They aren't.

Fat shaming isn't cool, and I'm sorry your doctors weren't very kind, but food addiction is serious and pretending it doesn't exist won't make it go away.
    I say this with confidence as a serious food addict who suffers periods of bulimia in my battle with sugar.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    edited February 2019
    Smellyman said:
    We only ever called it smear the queer as a kid. In the mid 80's no one seemed to think twice about that. Honestly, I don't think anyone of us in elementary school, when we played it, knew what that word meant.
    I love when childhood games come up and that gets mentioned and the other person has no idea when you're talking about. When you try to explain it they look at you all weird and say "so why would anyone grab the ball if you just get tackled? What's the advantage of that?" Because there really is no answer.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    You know this is interesting because millenials weren't eating McDonalds and things like that and essentially killing the fast food industry and enjoyed better food options ae now being even more obese than before?  I guess it's time to stop w the Netflix and chill and actually go to a bar and catch a movie at the theatre?
    Or get off the devices and go outside and play, run around and throw dirt bombs at each other, play frisbee football in the street and run from the driver's who's car you just bombed with snowballs.

Something else this generation doesn't understand is "skitching".  Not sure what you guys called it but it was when there was snow on the ground and you were towed behind a car.  Basically grabbing a bumper and skiing with just boots.
    we called it bumpershining. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

we called it bumpershining. 
    Well now, thats an interesting name...
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Smellyman said:
    We only ever called it smear the queer as a kid. In the mid 80's no one seemed to think twice about that. Honestly, I don't think anyone of us in elementary school, when we played it, knew what that word meant.
    I love when childhood games come up and that gets mentioned and the other person has no idea when you're talking about. When you try to explain it they look at you all weird and say "so why would anyone grab the ball if you just get tackled? What's the advantage of that?" Because there really is no answer.
    lol.

My father taught us kids on the block Kick the can.  It wasn't heard of in our age group but we liked it and played it.  I remember seeing it in the newer Twilight Zone movies.  Only time I've ever seen it mentioned in a film or show.

Anybody play "butts up"?!?  Bounce the ball on the coin to make it flip?  Loser bends over and winner throws the ball at them.

Way off topic...

Sorry OP.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    mace1229 said:
    Smellyman said:
    lol.

My father taught us kids on the block Kick the can.  It wasn't heard of in our age group but we liked it and played it.  I remember seeing it in the newer Twilight Zone movies.  Only time I've ever seen it mentioned in a film or show.

Anybody play "butts up"?!?  Bounce the ball on the coin to make it flip?  Loser bends over and winner throws the ball at them.

Way off topic...

Sorry OP.
    Butts up (or buttball) was awesome! 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Smellyman said:
    lol.

Way off topic...

Sorry OP.
    Butts up (or buttball) was awesome! 
    C'mon, someone start a Game thread already...
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    rgambs said:
    It mentions one outdated study and the author uses his personal opinion to extrapolate irresponsibly.
    The problem is people, people don't work diets.  The reason isn't biological and it isn't immutable, it's simple willpower.
    If metabolic rate really responded so vigorously, and had such a profound effect, then people who lose weight and keep it off would be medical anomalies.  They aren't.

Fat shaming isn't cool, and I'm sorry your doctors weren't very kind, but food addiction is serious and pretending it doesn't exist won't make it go away.
    I say this with confidence as a serious food addict who suffers periods of bulimia in my battle with sugar.
    For sure, it absolutely is not just "simple willpower" for some people, and it's harmful to the entire problem to go around insisting that it is.
    For some, that is what it's about, yes, and they know it themselves better than anyone, so I don't know why in the fuck others feel the need to remind them. I think those people are just being mean assholes. But for others, no way - it's far more powerful than that. Anyone who rejects this must be lacking empathy or something, I don't know. It's equivalent to people saying "just suck it up" to those who suffer from depression or an anxiety disorder. It's hurtful and ignorant.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

For sure, it absolutely is not just "simple willpower" for some people, and it's harmful to the entire problem to go around insisting that it is.
    For some, that is what it's about, yes, and they know it themselves better than anyone, so I don't know why in the fuck others feel the need to remind them. I think those people are just being mean assholes. But for others, no way - it's far more powerful than that. Anyone who rejects this must be lacking empathy or something, I don't know. It's equivalent to people saying "just suck it up" to those who suffer from depression or an anxiety disorder. It's hurtful and ignorant.
    For sure, it IS simple willpower.  The laws of thermodynamics are immutable. 

It might be hurtful for some to hear, but people do need to suck it up when it comes to depression, anxiety, obesity, addiction and every other fucking problem.  Some people have an incredibly hard row to hoe, and I do empathize with that, but everyone I've known in life that had to hoe one of those rows did so by sucking it the fuck up.  That's how you get out of the bed in the morning and keep on living.  Nearly everyone is sucking it up nearly all the time in one way or the other, to some degree.  Some have it easy, some have it hard.  Unfortunately for them, the hard cases just have to suck up a shit ton more.

You talk of empathy, but you really mean sympathy.  When I broke down and ate a Taco Bell 5$Box and a 5th Avenue for lunch today, I did so with cognisant empathy for the struggles of obese people, knowing how hard it is to make the right choice when faced with an obviously wrong, but attractive choice.  
    Addicts know they are addicted and know what choices they should be making, acknowledging that isn't a lack of empathy, and pretending otherwise isn't empathy.  It isn't even sympathy, it's dishonest pity.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

It might be hurtful for some to hear, but people do need to suck it up when it comes to depression, anxiety, obesity, addiction and every other fucking problem.  Some people have an incredibly hard row to hoe, and I do empathize with that, but everyone I've known in life that had to hoe one of those rows did so by sucking it the fuck up.  That's how you get out of the bed in the morning and keep on living.  Nearly everyone is sucking it up nearly all the time in one way or the other, to some degree.  Some have it easy, some have it hard.  Unfortunately for them, the hard cases just have to suck up a shit ton more.

You talk of empathy, but you really mean sympathy.  When I broke down and ate a Taco Bell 5$Box and a 5th Avenue for lunch today, I did so with cognisant empathy for the struggles of obese people, knowing how hard it is to make the right choice when faced with an obviously wrong, but attractive choice.  
    Addicts know they are addicted and know what choices they should be making, acknowledging that isn't a lack of empathy, and pretending otherwise isn't empathy.  It isn't even sympathy, it's dishonest pity.

Saying someone should suck it up when they suffer from a mental illness is hugely ignorant at best. Everything you said here just proves how you totally don't really understand mental illness. Attitudes like this are what's keeping the terrible, harmful stigmas about mental illness alive. Yes, even with all your disclaimers thrown in. And no, I mean EMPATHY. Not sympathy. You don't have empathy when it comes to this topic at all. You've just proven it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Saying someone should suck it up when they suffer from a mental illness is hugely ignorant at best. Everything you said here just proves how you totally don't really understand mental illness. Attitudes like this are what's keeping the terrible, harmful stigmas about mental illness alive. Yes, even with all your disclaimers thrown in. And no, I mean EMPATHY. Not sympathy. You don't have empathy when it comes to this topic at all. You've just proven it.
    actually, he is correct. he uses terms like "suck it up", and that may offend, but what he means is actually correct. And I know from experience of the past 20+ years. 

is depression a choice? no. no mental illness is. but how you react to it, ultimately, is. getting out of bed. getting help. living. it can be incredibly difficult (as seen in my sick accrual at work), but it IS ultimately a choice. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

actually, he is correct. he uses terms like "suck it up", and that may offend, but what he means is actually correct. And I know from experience of the past 20+ years. 

is depression a choice? no. no mental illness is. but how you react to it, ultimately, is. getting out of bed. getting help. living. it can be incredibly difficult (as seen in my sick accrual at work), but it IS ultimately a choice. 
    Not for everyone it's not. And "suck it up" is a VERY offensive term that is completely unnecessary and inaccurate IMO. Fighting a battle is not "sucking it up" or anything close to it IMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Haha spoken like someone who's only ever been on the outside looking in.  You sound like a textbook, and I don't think you realize how patronizing your preachy acceptance is.

I cut my BMI from obese to healthy, and have regular bouts with eating disorder, but I don't understand the issue because I'm not apologetic enough on a web forum.
    I've stopped my mother AND brother in the midst of suicide attempts, but I don't understand mental illness because I repeat their own words, on a web forum.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Not for everyone it's not. And "suck it up" is a VERY offensive term that is completely unnecessary and inaccurate IMO. Fighting a battle is not "sucking it up" or anything close to it IMO.
    haha, ok. I speak from a pretty serious standpoint here. not sure if you have any, but I'll tell you this:

depression makes it FUCKING DIFFICULT to a point where you sometimes feel like it is physically difficult to move. But you can move. depression isn't physically making it so  you can't get out of bed. as much as it feels like it. seriously, I once sat on my couch for 8 hours without moving. Because I literally felt like I couldn't. but I could. once I made the choice to do so, in rgambs terms, "sucking it up". I know what you mean about that term seemingly being offensive to people with mental illness, I just happen to know how he speaks, so it's not offensive to me in this context. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited February 2019
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Haha spoken like someone who's only ever been on the outside looking in.  You sound like a textbook, and I don't think you realize how patronizing your preachy acceptance is.

I cut my BMI from obese to healthy, and have regular bouts with eating disorder, but I don't understand the issue because I'm not apologetic enough on a web forum.
    I've stopped my mother AND brother in the midst of suicide attempts, but I don't understand mental illness because I repeat their own words, on a web forum.
    Dude. I like you, but that is a scumbag-ish thing to say, because I have lived it myself (mental illness), and that is where I'm coming from.
    Also, I did say what I'm saying doesn't apply to everyone. I said that for some it is indeed just about will power when it comes to weight loss.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Yes, I left that out and that was a big mistake.  Getting help is huge, in any problem that swamps a person's life!  Addictions and mental illness absolutely need treatment and understanding, and I hope everyone understands I wouldn't use this rhetoric to try to help a person who is struggling.  It's not about tough love, it's just about truth.  If you can't speak truth to "strangers" on the internet...well then what's the fucking point? 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

That is the most ignorant thing I've read on here.  You know many, and I mean many suffer from mental illness who do try to suck it up, and many of those folks die from suicide because OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU who are so ignorant about mental illness and this is why the stigma never ends.

I have a brother that passed away way to young because of alcohol, he went into rehab 4 times and tried AA ... none worked because of that outdated 12 step programs that sheeple's in the world continue to endorse.

I myself have battled anxiety and depression ... I sucked it up for 20 years or more before I sought professional help, in my case, I waited too long and it cost me my marriage.  By the way, I treat my anxiety and depression with Cannabis, in which, you're ignorant opinion discounts the actual medicinal uses of Cannabis.  Oh yeah.  Cannabis does not leave suicidal thoughts like many of those other anti-depressant meds do.  Here is how I look at mental illness, if people like Robbin Williams and Chris Cornell can die from suicide because of mental illness, then anyone can.  Those 2 and more who die from suicide that has the financial means that they do, still see no other way, they can afford the best treatment...most people just pop pills that the family dr. prescribes.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

haha, ok. I speak from a pretty serious standpoint here. not sure if you have any, but I'll tell you this:

depression makes it FUCKING DIFFICULT to a point where you sometimes feel like it is physically difficult to move. But you can move. depression isn't physically making it so  you can't get out of bed. as much as it feels like it. seriously, I once sat on my couch for 8 hours without moving. Because I literally felt like I couldn't. but I could. once I made the choice to do so, in rgambs terms, "sucking it up". I know what you mean about that term seemingly being offensive to people with mental illness, I just happen to know how he speaks, so it's not offensive to me in this context. 
    I watch "Dope Sick Nation" on Vice and the sponsors are constantly talking shit to the other addicts.  One of the sponsors apologizes for doing it and another pipes up and says "no dude, she needs to hear that shit, she needs someone to lay into her and let her know when she's screwing up".

This seems like the same thing to me.

Is it?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

I watch "Dope Sick Nation" on Vice and the sponsors are constantly talking shit to the other addicts.  One of the sponsors apologizes for doing it and another pipes up and says "no dude, she needs to hear that shit, she needs someone to lay into her and let her know when she's screwing up".

This seems like the same thing to me.

Is it?
    it isn't, because I know gambs (on here, anyway), and I know how he speaks here and know that it isn't what he'd say in a real person-to-person dialogue in a serious situation. taking the emotion out of it, which I know is hard to do, he's right. 

look, I once misunderstood how gambs speaks on here. once i realized he just speaks in a very frank and matter of fact matter, I understood his language a lot better to not be offensive. Just direct. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com