Important Change To Ten Club Membership Benefits

Comments

• PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 399
    matt.watt said:
    Sad day.  End of an Era. 

I know it's been harder and harder for 10C to meet the commitment.  My interpretation is that the drive behind this idea that started with the band, isn't a drive for them anymore, and it's felt that way for the past several years.  I get it... things change, but this was what being "in a fan club" really meant to me; to have access to those little treasures.  The patches, stickers and mini poster were awesome 2012 - 2014...  slowly the perks die.  

Is the Fan Club a money-making endeavor?  Not likely, nor should it be.  It's supposed to be a passion project and the passion seems to be dying.

The fans won't go away, but the Fan Club club seems to be entering old age...
    Correct. Fans are the after thought now.  No new material since LB other than can’t deny me.  They’ve yours countless times not based on new material.  They sell countless exclusives from shirts to posters at these shows to draw hours long lines to not make enough of posters or the quality of merch being made.  They’re on revenue auto pilot. It’s sad. 
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • ^^^

There's no question the 10C's performance with regards to producing the annual single is very very poor. But I don't equate that failure with the band and their current state of existence.

If the new material some are demanding isn't quality... I don't want it. The same people knocking You Can't Deny Me are knocking the band for not coming out with new music. They can't win with some people.

I'll always go see them play. And I don't want to hear 8 tracks off an uninspired album. I want to hear the songs that have made my experience on this planet better.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • So now we'll pay to be in the fan club to not get a single, in my case never get fan club tickets for the shows near me, and maybe a t shirt I'll never wear since it would be tacky even in the 90s. I'm sure if I decide to drop it, they'll be sure to to have some benefit I wish I didn't drop out for. At least they know how to make money off of us.

Hopefully I'm wrong and something new is announced before my membership runs out.

Cue bashing.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,244
    I'm sad about it even though I don't have a record player. When I think of vinyl records I think of Pearl Jam.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,461
    HaJoe said:
    I want to love this band like I used to, but decisions like this just keep pushing me more and more away. I guess I should thank them for saving money on my membership as I have switched to digital.

Don't be depressed by economic dicisions. It doesn't need to second these, it needs to like and love their music, their shows, their lyrics, their political attitude and all the things and opinions they stand for.

I'm trying. There just hasn't been much music lately. The choices for the vault have been uninspired. They haven't been in my neck of the woods in over 4 years. And I don't think they stand for the same things they've always stood for. I certainly don't blame them for changing, as everyone does. But my opinion of them is changing, too.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,844
    .not gonna waste my precious time,complaining about a rock band fan club change benefit atg a membership..im waititng for the future and see how it goes.

With all due respect, how precious is your time if you have enough of it to have posted over 135,000 times on this message board?
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BF25394 said:
    .not gonna waste my precious time,complaining about a rock band fan club change benefit atg a membership..im waititng for the future and see how it goes.

With all due respect, how precious is your time if you have enough of it to have posted over 135,000 times on this message board?

So... I guess you're saying you have a better life than him?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    BF25394 said:

no, he's saying it's a hypocritical statement. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    i think it would have been a cool idea for the fan club single to be a track that pearl jam recorded that was originally a side project or solo song of one of the band members. 

like pj does rndm
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BF25394 said:

no, he's saying it's a hypocritical statement. 
    Maybe.

Put so snidely though, I had my doubts.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,768
    Wow, my thoughts reading this thread have gone every which way.  I've been a 10club member for many, many years now. I have certainly benefited from the annual holiday single to the pre-sale for concerts and priority seating.   The news today did bring tears to my eyes.  No doubt.  However, the fan club membership prices for this band, are astronomically cheaper than any other band's fan club I've ever considered joining.  This news is sad but it's no shame on this fan club that has given so much over the years for so little a price.  I went for years without a turntable; therefore, I donated many of my fan club singles to the pre-party events.  Who knows, maybe one of you have been the recipient of my fan club single.  It's sad, but it's not something you should be taking personally, nor something you should be slamming the club or the band.  
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    i think it would have been a cool idea for the fan club single to be a track that pearl jam recorded that was originally a side project or solo song of one of the band members. 

like pj does rndm
    Pretty sure PJ recorded Bayleaf (song). That would be GREAT to hear
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,251

like pj does rndm
    I have always wanted to hear PJ cover ‘Waters Deep’ by BRAD. I would give much gold to hear Ed sing that track.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    edited December 2018
    If that's true, there's no point in keeping the analog membership.I've first read this somewhere else, but came here to check It.

Holy Innocents Day came to my  mind, but then I remember April's Fools Day: in Argentina we play pranks and banters on December 28th, in the same fashion as April's Fools Day.

Anyway, long live the Ten Club Christmas/Holiday/Annual Vinyl Single
    Post edited by javis el errante on
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Ms. Haiku said:
    I'm sad about it even though I don't have a record player. When I think of vinyl records I think of Pearl Jam.
    I'm so disappointed you didn't write this as a haiku.
  • I rarely disagree with PJ's decisions, but I can't agree or understand this. The single was the cornerstone of the Ten Club. Pearl Jam makes enough money to survive and thrive. Don't end this tradition. Terrible mistake. Or are they going to start a new tradition that could replace this one? I am open minded and hopeful for the future but this doesn't feel right. At least we have the freakin amazing vault releases on vinyl. Have faith PJ fans...
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Its not a terrible mistake. They haven't been able to keep up with these over the past few years but have continued to take the money. It would have been a bad move to leave things as they were and come January some members would have been due 3 singles. Whether you like it or not, they did the right thing.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,790
    Agreed, it is not a terrible mistake. It sucks that they couldn't keep up with a pace of two recorded songs per year. But since they couldn't, continuing to promise these would have been wrong.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • robertstackarmyrobertstackarmy So. WI Posts: 681
    JimmyV said:
    Agreed, it is not a terrible mistake. It sucks that they couldn't keep up with a pace of two recorded songs per year. But since they couldn't, continuing to promise these would have been wrong.
    Agree. I am both mad and understanding about the decision.  Since I just renewed my analog membership, I am leaning more towards mad but I get it as a whole.  It's not the end of the world, but upsetting.
  • Love this vinyl annual Pearl Jam sending. I understand it could be something hard to have a annuel exclusive song/cover with all the  logistic needed. We will enjoy all we have got. Thanks for that PJ Ten Club!

Maybe Pearl Jam could consider to merge with Third man records « The Vault ». No obligations every year and a support to Jack White cool vinyl initiative Shop. 

Ps. Sorry for my english from a Canadian french man.

- Chris
    edited December 2018
    Has the flipping market skyrocketted?
    Post edited by javis el errante on

• loix71loix71 Posts: 283
    the last sentence is pretty positive... wait and see what will happen before speaking

08/06/2000 Paris
    09/09/2006 Marseille
    11/06/2006 Paris
    03/07/2010 Arras
    30/06/2012 Arras
    16/06/2014 Amsterdam
    26/06/2014 Berlin
  • Thanks 10-Club staff for keeping it going for so many years - the ride has been super enjoyable as a vinyl enthusiast... I appreciate the work and support put into maintaining the site, events, promotions, and the Club itself very much!

Looking forward to seeing what comes up next,

D
  • InMyInnerSenseInMyInnerSense Posts: 57
    edited December 2018
    Pretty sure it flipping skyrocketed long-ago ;)
    Pretty sure it flipping skyrocketed long-ago ;)
    U flipping Ur 99 problems/Shattered wax?

Wanna trade for Santa God?

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Neil Young Archives NYA

$20 per year...
    Exclusive first access to tickets
    High res streaming of entire catalog, including video and movies
    Live streams of shows

• FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    JimmyV said:
    Agree. I am both mad and understanding about the decision.  Since I just renewed my analog membership, I am leaning more towards mad but I get it as a whole.  It's not the end of the world, but upsetting.
    Dont be mad, if you just renewed you'll get the 2018 benefits and a good amount of time to weigh up the membership levels and work out what suits you best.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,827
    edited December 2018
    They must have a pretty good idea of ‘what the future holds’ because why else would you get rid of something that a lot of people love. Albeit it was a little frustrating at times waiting for the single, however you’d hope they have something good in the works! 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    edited December 2018

SCH said:
    My Thoughts on the Fan Friendly Band
    1 New Song in Over 5 Years.
    12 days of Xmas is almost entirely covers songs, RITFW is old and tired, enough already
    Now No Holiday Single, not even just reduced to just a MP3 to reduce your trouble and costs, seems lazy
    Hearing the same 2013 clips on Sirius on how much the band loves to create and record to together has become comical
    Nothing new or exciting around here for a very long time. It's sad. I for one used to log on here everyday, now completely forget about Pearl Jam months at a time. I wish this was not the case. Oh well..
    You've given so much as a band, we are spoiled, it's hard to complain but I guess Nothing Lasts Forever is right.
    I've been a member since 2000 
    Thank you Pearl Jam for a great 25 year run but it's just over for me, at least for now, I am sure I'll be back if there is ever another album.
    Disappointed. 
    Great summary, couldn't agree more. I've been in the fan club since 1995. Just cancelled my auto-renew, and don't think I'll be coming back. Besides what you stated above, the fact that they haven't played my city (Las Vegas) in over 12 years makes the ticket benefit a moot point. Saw them last in 2013 in L.A. with my kids, so that was cool, and probably a good way to go out. Not paying several hundred dollars for stadium shows and can't afford to plunk down hundreds more to travel to "destination shows" if that's how they're going to continue "touring". Plus, I don't need to hear anymore greatest hits/cover song shows, with songs detuned because Ed can't sing them anymore and having the crowd take over - not what I'm paying to see/hear. The 2018 shows I've heard are almost unbearable to listen to. I know I've seen the band in their prime from '95-2000, and the last good album was 12 years ago. Too much overpriced merch on the site, lack of delivery on things we've already paid for, and a complete lack of any communication or indication of future activity is enough for me to make the call. I'll probably continue to buy new albums when/if released, but as far as the other "stuff", just not worth it anymore. There's so many other great bands doing great things, and I get more excited seeing local bands killing at my local venues than these big arena shows anyway. Thanks for everything for the past 25+ years Pearl Jam. It's been a swell ride.

Post edited by drummerboy_73 on
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • This sucks. Period.
    159xxx
This discussion has been closed.