Important Change To Ten Club Membership Benefits

Comments

• demetrios said:
    Is there no way that Mike McCready's Hockeytalkter Records company could take over Pearl Jam's 10club annual Christmas 7" Single?
    i don't think it's pressing the vinyl that's the issue. it's the band not wanting to record material they won't make money on. and i gotta be honest, it's surprising to me it took this long. songs on vinyl hasn't been an 'exclusive' since file sharing began in the late 90's. so the band is essentially giving music away for free to anyone that wants it. 
    But, they are doing that with whatever music they releases?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I’ve still never received my Wishing Well single from.. last year? Two years ago? Regardless, it kind of sucks considering I’ve only been a member for a few years. I don’t even want to call myself an “Analog” member of all I’ll receive is a T-shirt. Hope you guys are considering a possible name and price change or just replace it with something of equal value. Guess I’ll just cance my auto-renewal until I hear more on it :/
  • demetrios said:
    Is there no way that Mike McCready's Hockeytalkter Records company could take over Pearl Jam's 10club annual Christmas 7" Single?
    i don't think it's pressing the vinyl that's the issue. it's the band not wanting to record material they won't make money on. and i gotta be honest, it's surprising to me it took this long. songs on vinyl hasn't been an 'exclusive' since file sharing began in the late 90's. so the band is essentially giving music away for free to anyone that wants it. 
    That's a reason why many bands nowadays don't release new music, isn't it?
    2006/09/30 Athens, 2007/06/12 Muenchen, 2007/06/13 Katowice, 2007/06/18 London, 2009/08/13 Rotterdam, 2009/08/15 Berlin, 2010/06/30 Berlin, 2010/07/10 Lisbon, 2011/09/03 Alpine Valley, 2011/09/04 Alpine Valley, 2012/07/07 Stockholm, 2012/07/08 Oslo, 2012/07/10 Copenhagen, 2014/06/16 Amsterdam, 2014/06/17 Amsterdam, 2018/06/18 London, 2018/07/01 Prague, 2018/07/03 Krakow, 2018/07/05 Berlin...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    demetrios said:
    yes, but releasing it to the buying public on the big digital platforms has a much bigger chance of people paying for it rather than just releasing it to those here and then everyone else seeking it out on p2p platforms. they don't make money releasing new songs to the members here. that's why we haven't seen any studio releases on fan club vinyl in years. soundchecks, rehearsals, festival appearances, usually all covers or previously released songs, etc. that doesn't get the illegal downloading casual fan crowd in a tizzy. another strangest tribe and drifting would. which is why we haven't had a new studio track on the member vinyl in a decade. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rickprickp Posts: 219
    demetrios said:
    How are they giving it away for free if we pay for analog memberships? It was supposed to be a Christmas single as a gift to the fans originally wasn't it? 

I agree with demetrios here. Hockeytalkter, Sub Pop, Third Man..  they all seem to have this "release a 7" every now and then" thing down pretty well. Maybe the problem is that it doesn't make enough money. Maybe partnerships like BRKNarrows and soccer jerseys make more than enough that having a 7" pressed once a year is too burdensome for the bottom line. 

Whatever the reason is, it's pretty disappointing news.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Can't seem to find any follow-up E-mail about a decrease in membership renewal prices....
    This puzzles me as well.  Why would they tell us there will be changes to how the membership works and not include that information?  How could that have been over-looked?   Poor communications. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• umi73umi73 Posts: 39
    It is a great pity about the holiday single. I would like a cover from Mele Kalikimaka for one of the last two editions
    EV

Lotto Arena, Antwerp, Belgium 06-19-2017

AFAS Live, Amsterdam, Netherlands 06-09-2019

Max-Schmeling-Halle, Berlin, Germany 06-28-2019

Mitsubishi Electric Halle, Düsseldorf, Germany 06-30-2019

PJ

Deutschlandhalle, Berlin, Germany 11-03-1996

Sporthalle, Hamburg, Germany 06-26-2000

ISS Dome, Düsseldorf, Germany 06-21-2007

Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 06-30-2010

Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 06-26-2014                                                                                                                                                      

Waldbühne, Berlin, Germany 07-05-2018

Waldbühne, Berlin, Germany 06-21-2022

Festhalle, Frankfurt, Germany 06-28-2022
    Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam, Netherlands 07-25-2022
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    When they started to offer the different memberships I suspected that they outsourced the management and operations and management of the fan club. There are companies that provide that service. It kind of fits the timing of the increased commercialization of the band. I have no idea if I am right. Perhaps shipping out thousands of records doesn't fit the future business model or the membership has grown to the point where the band losses money doing this.  Maybe they just said fuck it. Someday this question will be answered. But I am not holding my breath.
  • demetrios said:
    yes, but releasing it to the buying public on the big digital platforms has a much bigger chance of people paying for it rather than just releasing it to those here and then everyone else seeking it out on p2p platforms. they don't make money releasing new songs to the members here. that's why we haven't seen any studio releases on fan club vinyl in years. soundchecks, rehearsals, festival appearances, usually all covers or previously released songs, etc. that doesn't get the illegal downloading casual fan crowd in a tizzy. another strangest tribe and drifting would. which is why we haven't had a new studio track on the member vinyl in a decade. 
    They could have done it so it's being released for sale on itunes or whatever, but the vinyl release being limited to members.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I'm pretty disappointed with 10C, I hope they can explain a little more.
    rickp said:
    demetrios said:
    How are they giving it away for free if we pay for analog memberships? It was supposed to be a Christmas single as a gift to the fans originally wasn't it? 

I agree with demetrios here. Hockeytalkter, Sub Pop, Third Man..  they all seem to have this "release a 7" every now and then" thing down pretty well. Maybe the problem is that it doesn't make enough money. Maybe partnerships like BRKNarrows and soccer jerseys make more than enough that having a 7" pressed once a year is too burdensome for the bottom line. 

yes, it is paid for by members. i mean if they put a new studio track as a member single, it's so easy to find these songs online for anyone not a member, so yes, besides the paid members, they are giving away the track(s) for free. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    I assume you don’t just take away something and charge the same price. 

Tell that to the fine folks at Tropicana, Florida's Natural and all the other orange juice suppliers.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • RIP Pearl Jam
  • Poncier said:
    I assume you don’t just take away something and charge the same price. 

Tell that to the fine folks at Tropicana, Florida's Natural and all the other orange juice suppliers.
    Or every coffee brewer in Sweden, going from 500g a pack to 450 but keeping the price.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    demetrios said:
    But the single was almost never a new studio track...just a handful of times. It's not like putting live stuff and cover songs on it just started recently 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    NewJPage said:
    demetrios said:
    But the single was almost never a new studio track...just a handful of times. It's not like putting live stuff and cover songs on it just started recently 
    i know, but back then they also didn't release official bootlegs, so those were also a treat. once everything from every show was available digitally, the band was between a rock and hard place on how to handle the single. it was inevitable that it would be discontinued. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,014
    Sad day in the PJ world. I’ve always loved the vinyl and the bands love for vinyl. 
  • rw160510rw160510 Posts: 897
    I've wondered for a while why they didn't think to bash out a few covers during sound checks when on tour. Record them live without any audience then release the best two. A bit like rem did with original tracks on new adventures in hifi. At least they would be full band performances. If they that once a year that would have kept me happy for a couple of years in light of the lack of new material.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    rickp said:
    demetrios said:

yes, it is paid for by members. i mean if they put a new studio track as a member single, it's so easy to find these songs online for anyone not a member, so yes, besides the paid members, they are giving away the track(s) for free. 
    Is there a rabid base of pearl jam fans so into the band's work that they keep track of holiday singles and download them, but not quite rabid enough be in the club? Not many people do this, and this is certainly not the reason it stopped.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • joergjoerg Austria Posts: 123
    I love Pearl Jam, I love vinyl ... just sad, period
    ... wind in my hair i feel part of everywhere ...
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,484
    This sucks 

and not just because of the single. Very few have been earth shattering, although always welcome. So it’s kinda sad if anything 

the real question is what does membership matter?

Your announcements are way to vague and there’s to many GA shows now. 

That being said I’m not giving up my membership or number because I’m a hypocrite 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    RIP Pearl Jam
    yeah I hope we don't get the break up email today
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    RIP Pearl Jam
    At least no one is overreacting.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    RP112579 said:
    RIP Pearl Jam
    At least no one is overreacting.
    No shit....suicide hotlines are active today
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    NewJPage said:
    rickp said:
    demetrios said:

Is there a rabid base of pearl jam fans so into the band's work that they keep track of holiday singles and download them, but not quite rabid enough be in the club? Not many people do this, and this is certainly not the reason it stopped.
    i'm not in the u2 fanclub, but i have downloaded their fanclub stuff in the past when it's been unreleased studio material. so yes. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,251
    Well this is pretty shitty news to wake up to, but I guess it’s been coming. What are the chances of them putting in some real effort and making the last 2 singles actually worth the wait?

I don’t think it affects the band’s historical “viva la vinyl” stance as their discontinuing the single altogether, not just the vinyl.

We really need more information about the analog membership though. Will there only be digital memberships from now on? A t-shirt and a physical copy of DEEP certainly isn’t worth $50 a year.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • wuzenwuzen Posts: 15
    Holy shit this makes me sad. I'm 40 years old. I've been collecting these since over half my life. It sounds silly but it means something. Do I listen to them all the time? No. All they all great? No. But this was our shared experience with the band. It's not a matter of money or logistics. If it's costing too much they can raise the price like they did a few years ago. It's a matter of desire. The desire is not there and that's what makes it so sad. I see it as a giving up of sorts and that is disheartening. As others mentioned, I also don't think it's about new material. There are countless pieces of audio that can be pressed onto these vinyls. Live performances, sound checks, outtakes, instrumentals, etc. I cannot fathom that they do not have the capacity to choose two tracks per year and have someone press them. They have innumerable ways to create artwork. From band members, friends, even fans can do it. It's a lack of desire. This is the saddest part. 
    My heart has fractured a bit today.
    there's so much more to see in the darkest places
    rw160510 said:
    I've wondered for a while why they didn't think to bash out a few covers during sound checks when on tour. Record them live without any audience then release the best two. A bit like rem did with original tracks on new adventures in hifi. At least they would be full band performances. If they that once a year that would have kept me happy for a couple of years in light of the lack of new material.
    the 2011 single was exactly this. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

goldrush said:
    Well this is pretty shitty news to wake up to, but I guess it’s been coming. What are the chances of them putting in some real effort and making the last 2 singles actually worth the wait?

I don’t think it affects the band’s historical “viva la vinyl” stance as their discontinuing the single altogether, not just the vinyl.

We really need more information about the analog membership though. Will there only be digital memberships from now on? A t-shirt and a physical copy of DEEP certainly isn’t worth $50 a year.
    yeah, and i ain't paying that for a 'reassurance' from the band/club that the vinyl will be replaced with something 'big and bold'. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

This discussion has been closed.