Options

Don Lemon: 'White men' are biggest terror threat to US, and there is no travel ban on them

unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
Substitute white with anything else and see how that works out for him.  Lemme guess, not racist, right?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/don-lemon-biggest-terror-threat-in-this-country-is-white-men_us_5bd9aeeae4b0da7bfc15c504

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    unsung said:
    Substitute white with anything else and see how that works out for him.  Lemme guess, not racist, right?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/don-lemon-biggest-terror-threat-in-this-country-is-white-men_us_5bd9aeeae4b0da7bfc15c504

Because racism and racist statements exist in a context and you have to look at that context, both historical and present time. Just claiming it’s unfair to us poor white folks because if you switch white for black and it wouldn’t be accept doesn’t work. 

It’s why it’s unacceptable for whites to use the n word. Context. 
  • Options
    For what it's worth nobody should use the N word. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    unsung said:

I personally have no issue with anyone stating a fact.  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    unsung said:

Exactly. If you substituted anything else it would be a lie, making it easy to presume it's a racially motivated statement, because why else would you lie about that? And that would be where the problem is.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Mr Lemon is right and he is wrong.

White Men are a danger to society as shown with the mass killings.

As far as travel bans, I don't think white people are hijacking planes?  Have they started to do that now too?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Well the "White ban" portion must have been thrown in for some reason but makes no sense.

Cause it seems the biggest risk to US is the White far right male...but they are already here.  No traveling.  Meanwhile the biggest risk of foreign attack based on what we have seen is muslim male traveling to US and staying for a while.  White male = domestic.  Muslim male = non-domestic.  You can be concerned about both...no?

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

Exactly. If you substituted anything else it would be a lie, making it easy to presume it's a racially motivated statement, because why else would you lie about that? And that would be where the problem is.

The arguments against generalizing a group (let say for Muslims) was that you can't generalize a large population for a small percentage of wrongdoers in that group.  Would not the same arguments that were used before apply in this case as well with white people? 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

The arguments against generalizing a group (let say for Muslims) was that you can't generalize a large population for a small percentage of wrongdoers in that group.  Would not the same arguments that were used before apply in this case as well with white people? 
    yes. language does make a difference, and this is no exception. he should have been more careful in his verbiage. especially being in media, I'm surprised that he said it the way he did. saying it the way he did just further emboldens the "concern for the white race" mob. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

yes. language does make a difference, and this is no exception. he should have been more careful in his verbiage. especially being in media, I'm surprised that he said it the way he did. saying it the way he did just further emboldens the "concern for the white race" mob. 
    You are forgetting the rule that none of this applies to USA as a whole and then within the USA to white males.  Free game.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

I get what you're saying about making generalisations. But if the question was: Who is the biggest terror threat in the US? and you answer: White men. That's not a generalisation, it's just a fact, no?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

That was the point that would have been impactful, instead he strayed from the rational side of his mind and now right wingers will have another day of blaming the media for being divisive. 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    eddiec said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

I get what you're saying about making generalisations. But if the question was: Who is the biggest terror threat in the US? and you answer: White men. That's not a generalisation, it's just a fact, no?
    on the other side of the coin, if you ask the question, "who is responsible for most low level crime and violence in the US?". the short answer would start a fucking riot, whether it's true or not. that's the problem, it's a singular quesiton with a multi-faceted answer. answering it singularly is irresponsible, especially for someone in the media, and especially for a black man who should know better. 

edit: and when I say "for a black man who should know better", before anyone jumps down my gullet, I mean he's probably been on the receiving end of those same types of generalizations, so it's in that context I mean he should know better. both as a professional journalist and also from personal experience. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

Who assumed that Lemon meant all white men?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them."

the problem here is how it was worded. He doesn't quantify it as "SOME" white men, he just says "white men", and then saying "most of them....". that can easily be manipulated by fox news and the like as demonizing the entire group of white men in america to rile up their supporters. 

it's just really irresponsible editorializing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them."

the problem here is how it was worded. He doesn't quantify it as "SOME" white men, he just says "white men", and then saying "most of them....". that can easily be manipulated by fox news and the like as demonizing the entire group of white men in america to rile up their supporters. 

I don't think it is, at least not for those who understand how language and communication works. I think it was very clear what he meant.
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

on the other side of the coin, if you ask the question, "who is responsible for most low level crime and violence in the US?". the short answer would start a fucking riot, whether it's true or not. that's the problem, it's a singular quesiton with a multi-faceted answer. answering it singularly is irresponsible, especially for someone in the media, and especially for a black man who should know better. 

edit: and when I say "for a black man who should know better", before anyone jumps down my gullet, I mean he's probably been on the receiving end of those same types of generalizations, so it's in that context I mean he should know better. both as a professional journalist and also from personal experience. 
    I disagree. The higher crime rate amongst blacks is often brought up in the media. 

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    unsung said:

Was this a dump n run or did you actually was the article where it's pointed out, statistically...

from the Nation Institute’s Investigative Fund and the Center for Investigative Reporting’s Reveal, there were nearly twice as many terrorist incidents by right-wing extremists (the majority of whom are white) as by Islamic extremists in the U.S. from 2008 to 2018.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

I don't think it is, at least not for those who understand how language and communication works. I think it was very clear what he meant.
    uh, I understand fully how language and communication work. it is clear to us what he meant, but it is just generalized enough that it can easily be twisted. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    eddiec said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

I disagree. The higher crime rate amongst blacks is often brought up in the media. 

so what are you disagreeing with exactly?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

One side gets to reap whatever lies and BS it wants, the other cites statistically supported fact and that side are the bad guys. He said threat. He was referring to which demographic group is most responsible. It was clear and supported by facts

• Options
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

uh, I understand fully how language and communication work. it is clear to us what he meant, but it is just generalized enough that it can easily be twisted. 
    I actually wasn't suggesting that you don't understand that, lol. I know you do (come on, I hope you know I wouldn't throw a stupid dig like that at you!).
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    LOL.  More train humor.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yawn. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

That people act like it’s a taboo subject never brought up in the news. 
    It’s peoples reaction to that is when it can get ugly. 

• Options
    Yawn. 
    With all your yawning you really should take a nap.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yawn. 
    I’m thinking it’s about nap time.  Kind of a dreary Halloween.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

One side gets to reap whatever lies and BS it wants, the other cites statistically supported fact and that side are the bad guys. He said threat. He was referring to which demographic group is most responsible. It was clear and supported by facts

I'm aware of that. All I'm saying is he left it open to attack by the WAY he said it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    eddiec said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:

That people act like it’s a taboo subject never brought up in the news. 
    It’s peoples reaction to that is when it can get ugly. 

ok, I guess I haven't seen that outside of honest discussion about statistics and the reason behind them (racism, oppression, etc). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    Yawn. 
    Hey, can we keep it down around this place?  I'm trying to sleep!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsung said:

You don't seem to understand what racism is. Maybe you should have listened a bit more at your church's sunday school?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"