Options

Don Lemon: 'White men' are biggest terror threat to US, and there is no travel ban on them

Comments

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    unsung said:
    Smellyman said:
    Again.  I shall bold it this time.

Is the biggest TERROR threat in the US not white men?

And right wing.......
    500 people are killed in Chicago a year.  It isn’t the white man terrorizing those streets.

I’d say the biggest terror threat to the US is the people that pull the strings of Congress, people that have us fight unneeded war.  People responsible for the destruction of the dollar.  That is more of a threat to your freedom than some fringe wacko.

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    my2hands said:
    Ahhhhhh, the demonization of the white male.... not the best poltical strategy in my opinion

I have a white penis... BOO! lol

Blacks committ more murders per year than whites, even though they only represent 13% of the population... but nobody on the left ever wants to talk about that, doesnt fit their political agenda i guess... wonder why Don doesnt want to talk about that? I guess we are only allowed to talk about bad things white people do, specifically white males

Carry on, good luck Unsung lol

Because, within a few days, a white man killed two black people BECAUSE THEY WERE BLACK

Because a white man tried to kill twelve prominent democrats BECAUSE THEY WERE DEMOCRATS

Because a white man killed eleven Jews BECAUSE THEY WERE JEWS.

I'm well aware
  • Options
    Don Lemon is a racist.

Disclaimer: That is not saying others are not racist. I am just trying to state the simplest fact related to THIS thread.
    I disagree with that. How do we know? Any evidence?

We LOVE to throw that word around nowadays
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    Smellyman said:

And right wing.......
    I know they are responsible for the majority of events... but i need to look at the information a little closer at the stats... whites represent a majority of the country, so they should theoretically lead in just about everything... 

The question i have is are they overrepresented, underrepresented, or about average when it comes to attacks per capita, or % wise... 
    Exactly, pretty simple mathematics...It’s like saying that city dwellers are more violent because metropolitan areas experience more violence.  Correlation does not always = causation, anyone that took a stats course should have had that drilled into their brains.

Asked and answered just a few posts above yours.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Non-Hispanic white men comprise about 30% of the overall US population so if we look at the statistics from above that state roughly 80% of domestic terrorism is committed by white men then they are overrepresented based on the percentage of the population.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/PST045217
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664
    my2hands said:
    Ahhhhhh, the demonization of the white male.... not the best poltical strategy in my opinion

I have a white penis... BOO! lol

Blacks committ more murders per year than whites, even though they only represent 13% of the population... but nobody on the left ever wants to talk about that, doesnt fit their political agenda i guess... wonder why Don doesnt want to talk about that? I guess we are only allowed to talk about bad things white people do, specifically white males

Carry on, good luck Unsung lol
    This is what I was saying before. I think liberals talk about the disproportionate homicide rate often, but what they don’t do as much is talk about it as a distraction or tangent, which is what you just did. A domestic terrorist is way more likely to be a white guy, which is the subject. Same with Kaep taking a knee; the subject is racism, not black on black crime, but how many times do conservatives immediately go to that when criticizing him? 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Smellyman said:

And right wing.......
    Hmmm... Would you consider Gang violence to be terror?  I bet the neighborhoods they are shooting up do.  But I'll have to look at the definition of "terror" and then find out how many gang incidents are due to which race.  Cause, I'd consider gangs to be the #1 terror threat inside america.
    No, I wouldn’t consider gang violence to be terrorism, nor would police. They are quite different beasts with different goals. Just because someone  feels fear when they witness or are the victum of a crime doesn’t make it terrorism; if so, any violent crime would be considered terrorism. 

This article looks at a study comparing domestic terrorists and gangs and does not find many commonalities. 

https://www.colorado.edu/today/2017/05/18/domestic-terrorists-gang-members-have-little-common-study-shows
    Yeah but he said biggest terror threat not terrorism.  Words matter.
    So does context, and you know exactly what he was referring to.
    Ok, perhaps.

Back to Lemon, answer me this... and I happen to like Don Lemon...but why is he bringing up a travel ban to combat domestic terrorism?  Cause this makes no sense to me expect to try and compare things that don't fit to be compared.
    It’s a criticism of trump on two fronts. One that there’s is no urgent reaction to do something about domestic terrorism like there is with terrorism from foreigners. And it’s also a criticism for the fact that trump was identifying religion as the issue, so it’s highlighting his bigotry and bias. 
  • Options
    Don Lemon is a racist.

Disclaimer: That is not saying others are not racist. I am just trying to state the simplest fact related to THIS thread.
    Never saw you drop this nugget about trump in the trump thread. 
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Smellyman said:

And right wing.......
    500 people are killed in Chicago a year.  It isn’t the white man terrorizing those streets.

I’d say the biggest terror threat to the US is the people that pull the strings of Congress, people that have us fight unneeded war.  People responsible for the destruction of the dollar.  That is more of a threat to your freedom than some fringe wacko.
    Feeling terror and terrorism are two different things. And the homicide rate is higher in several other cities, by the way. I know you’re following along with the right wing talking points, though
  • Options
    riotgrl said:
    Non-Hispanic white men comprise about 30% of the overall US population so if we look at the statistics from above that state roughly 80% of domestic terrorism is committed by white men then they are overrepresented based on the percentage of the population.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/PST045217
    Oh, i concede the point on males... males have always been more violent throughout history, everywhere...

Lemon didnt say "men" are the biggest terror threat... which is absolutely accurate as they are WAY overrepresented statistically in terror attacks... and all violence in general as mentioned... i actually think that is a much more important talking point for society to discuss... he said white men... which brings race into it... which makes it a little more complicated of a discussion in my opinion... ill have to look at it a little later

The male factor is pretty static in my opinion given the known historical data when it comes to gender and violence... the race factor is maybe dynamic, and thats what im interested in

• Options

My question.

What is making the White Men so damned angry?

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

My question.

It's a very simplistic answer but I would say eroding power, in almost all aspects in life. They want to have what dad and grandpa had.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126

My question.

Women....it's always women /s

Did I do it right this time?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Don Lemon is a racist.

Never saw you drop this nugget about trump in the trump thread. 
    Suddenly, everyone cares deeply about racism. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561

My question.

Black people 
    Brown people
    Women people
    Gay and lesbian people 
    Trans people
    Jewish people
    Funny named people 
    Weird religion people
    Other people
    Etc etc
  • Options

My question.

Women....it's always women /s

Did I do it right this time?
    There is truth to that statement. Loneliness and not being loved will make a man insane. I have seen it in friends and coworkers. It hasn't made them insane, but it has made them bitter and angry.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Ask Gaia and she will tell you, "Are you kidding?  All you humans are  the biggest terrorists!"
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Holy crap, how is it not completely obvious that targeted murder based on a victims demographics or beliefs is completely different from crime even to people on a liberal bands forum isn't obvious? Next Tues America may be totally screwed.
    Elitist
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited November 2018
    I’d say most of us understand what racism is but most of us don’t know what it feels to be on the receiving end of racism ! 
    I don't know what it's like to live with it on a consistent basis at all obviously (I only have to live with discrimination against women on a regular basis). Although I have been on the receiving end of racism several times, like as one-offs. There are some super racist Chinese people in Vancouver - they really hate white people. They call us rats and rodents in their own language right in front of us sometimes, according to my Chinese-speaking friends. Normally I get it in Chinese restaurants owned by racists from China. And yeah, it sucks, and it makes me mad. I always do an online review of the establishment and advertise that they are like that afterwards.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    PJ_Soul said:
    I’d say most of us understand what racism is but most of us don’t know what it feels to be on the receiving end of racism ! 
    I don't know what it's like to live with it on a consistent basis at all obviously (I only have to live with discrimination against women on a regular basis). Although I have been on the receiving end of racism several times, like as one-offs. There are some super racist Chinese people in Vancouver - they really hate white people. They call us rats and rodents in their own language right in front of us sometimes, according to my Chinese-speaking friends. Normally I get it in Chinese restaurants owned by racists from China. And yeah, it sucks, and it makes me mad. I always do an online review of the establishment and advertise that they are like that afterwards.
    hmmm.  I will have to get to some Chinese restaurants in Vancouver to see if true.

Usually you have to be some pretty douchey customers to elicit that response.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Smellyman said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    hmmm.  I will have to get to some Chinese restaurants in Vancouver to see if true.

I assume that is some kind of passive aggressive accusation?
    Obviously it's not all Chinese restaurants, which is why I qualified my comments the way I did. And no, it has absolutely nothing to do with my own behaviour - as someone who worked in restaurants for years, I'm frankly a lovely customer and an all around friendly person when I'm out there in the world. I find it quite odd that that is where your mind went. Is that where it goes when non-white people make claims of racism too, or do you reserve it just for white victims of racism? Also, are you saying that as long as someone is "pretty douchey", racist people are within their rights to be racist? Finally, are you hinting that it's unlikely that any Chinese people are racist?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Obviously it's not all Chinese restaurants, which is why I qualified my comments the way I did. And no, it has absolutely nothing to do with my own behaviour - as someone who worked in restaurants for years, I'm frankly a lovely customer and an all around friendly person when I'm out there in the world. I find it quite odd that that is where your mind went. Is that where it goes when non-white people make claims of racism too, or do you reserve it just for white victims of racism? Also, are you saying that as long as someone is "pretty douchey", racist people are within their rights to be racist?
    Just where my mind goes as a white guy who speaks Chinese and has lived in Hong Kong and Taiwan and traveled to China dozens of times.  I have been to Vancouver China town too and SF and am from Seattle.

You have been on the receiving end of racism because your friends said they called you rats in a language you don't understand.  Very well could have happened.

Anyway, not to make an excuse, but it's 1:30 am here and I have had far too much to drink and I like you PJ Soul.

Edit:  I was born in the year of the rat.  Not a bad thing to be.  Maybe a compliment.  :)

Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Smellyman said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Obviously it's not all Chinese restaurants, which is why I qualified my comments the way I did. And no, it has absolutely nothing to do with my own behaviour - as someone who worked in restaurants for years, I'm frankly a lovely customer and an all around friendly person when I'm out there in the world. I find it quite odd that that is where your mind went. Is that where it goes when non-white people make claims of racism too, or do you reserve it just for white victims of racism? Also, are you saying that as long as someone is "pretty douchey", racist people are within their rights to be racist?
    Just where my mind goes as a white guy who speaks Chinese and has lived in Hong Kong and Taiwan and traveled to China dozens of times.  I have been to Vancouver China town too and SF and am from Seattle.

You have been on the receiving end of racism because your friends said they called you rats in a language you don't understand.  Very well could have happened.

Anyway, not to make an excuse, but it's 1:30 am here and I have had far too much to drink and I like you PJ Soul.

Well my Chinese friends aren't going to lie about that, and I didn't mean they've said it while we were dining, although without a doubt, if I go to a Chinese restaurant with Chinese people, which I actually do fairly often, the staff will often tend to ignore me and the other white people, and act like the Chinese guests are in charge of the whole party, which is a bit weird. But anyway, I meant they have said that generally. I.e. Chinese friends have said, "oh yeah, there are some Chinese who will say terrible things about white people right in front of them, assuming they don't understand Chinese." I have no reason not to believe other Chinese people who say that's going on. But no, that isn't why I think I've been the victim of racism in certain Chinese restaurants specifically. I think this because I was the victim, and people know when others are being racist against them. It's actually pretty obvious!
    Let me be clear (I thought I had been, but maybe not), I'm not saying any of this as some kind of blanket condemnation of Chinese people, any more than me calling out white racists is a blanket condemnation of white people. But surely you know that not only white people can be racist, right??
    (Btw, being to Vancouver's Chinatown is irrelevant... Over 25% of Vancouver's population is Chinese now (and it's a large majority in Richmond) ... which very well may be helping to embolden whatever racist Chinese people there are here; I know that racist hiring practices by the Chinese are a big issue right now, and recently a bunch of ride sharing operations were caught refusing all white customers, and those were orders from the top of such operations ... The large Chinese population here is also helping to embolden whatever white people are racists towards Chinese people of course. I look forward to when better integration creates itself. That only takes time. Right now, there is some pretty extreme segregation happening)

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • Options
    unsung said:
    I can't figure out if he's a crackpot or if he's being facetious.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314

My question.

where the white women at ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Speedy asks a good question. I believe that the answer to that, as it applies to the select men this can be said about, is simply that they are scared. Scared of losing their position of privilege (which many of them won't even acknowledge). Scared that building an even playing field will bring them down a notch (which is necessarily true). This "threat" makes them defensive and mad and miserly.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    When Don Lemon used to work in Philly....... my ex mother in law invited him in for a glass of water. he was out doing a live remote in the summer and he was very thankful for it. that's all I know about him personally.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

My question.

where the white women at ?
    As it relates to speedy’s question, a partial answer is found in the linked essay, I do believe. It’s a long read, well, I assume for some, so set aside some time. It’s worth it.

https://harpers.org/archive/2018/11/the-ghosts-of-versailles/

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    edited November 2018
    unsung said:
    that's just a downright stupid thing for this guy to say, obviously, for so many reasons that don't even need pointing out
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com