Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,730
    Yes
    Why isn't this thread focusing on me anymore.
    Okay okay, how about asking Agnes if she wants to be "fb's". You're both single. Both with needs. Maybe at least a casual lay would serve the both of you well?
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • No
    Okay okay, how about asking Agnes if she wants to be "fb's". You're both single. Both with needs. Maybe at least a casual lay would serve the both of you well?
    That's like asking someone for a bite of their food, having them say no, and then asking for all the food that surrounds that bite instead.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,730
    Yes
    That's like asking someone for a bite of their food, having them say no, and then asking for all the food that surrounds that bite instead.
    Maybe they just wanted that particular bite and are willing to share the rest? Hey, if you don't ask, the answer is always no.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Yes
    Maybe they just wanted that particular bite and are willing to share the rest? Hey, if you don't ask, the answer is always no.
    If she said no to a date, she doesn't want a bite of his food. 
  • Yes
    Yeah bad idea
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Yes
    Check out the Louis Theroux  doc that aired last night in the u.k. it's on
    BBC .
    Maybe s.c can get caught up in this friendly arrangement !
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,918
    edited November 2018
    Haha. She's not that type of person. And it's not really what I was after.

Friend(zone) beer this week. Will be interesting :) 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yes
    S_C, I think you sabotaged this thing, because you really want a woman named Beth.
    I see what you did there. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    S_C, I think you sabotaged this thing, because you really want a woman named Beth.
    I see what you did there. 
    Only one girl in my life, and it's not Beth -- its:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWNYLMUg6B0
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Why do you think that people without kids and lots of free time waste their time?? I do indeed have tons of free time, which I relish, and I'm not wasting my life, thanks.
    I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about people in real life.
    Watching dancing with the stars and shopping for junk at outlet malls and flea markets is a waste of a life, whether a person is content with it or not, IMO.
    In real life, I have tons of free time and am not wasting it, lol. ;)
    I figure that whatever makes a person content and satisfied in life is never a waste of time or a life. Who are we to judge how someone finds contentment in their own life?? Now if someone is lying there on the couch watching garbage TV all the time and they're miserable and depressed and fucking hate themselves for it, then that's a waste, yes (and they should really talk to a professional about it). But if they're content and happy doing that? Or get real joy out of going to flea markets everyday? Not at all. IMO.
    I would agree. saying someone who is content and happy is wasting their life because it doesn't fit your definition of a full life is assinine.  
    It's not asinine, you just don't like it.  Wouldn't you be perfectly willing to consider a life wasted if it was spent languishing in a heroin stupor?  It makes them content and happy, but you'd still consider it a waste.  
    I draw the line a few miles from there, but it's not as extreme as it sounds, I know people way more extreme than that.
    People who live in a way that is essentially, if you aren't on the edge you are taking up too much space.
    I stand by it. alright, assinine may have been a bit strong, but I still find it ridiculous that a content life is a wasted life. that makes zero sense. 

the entire point of life is to be happy, not someone else's version of happy. 
    Is that the point of life?  If we are just a collection of cells that result from a big bang millions of years ago, is there a point at all to life?  
    no, there isn't, so we make the point ourselves. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,969
    That's a pretty furry looking woman. If you're into that sort of thing, that's cool. We're not judgemental here.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Why do you think that people without kids and lots of free time waste their time?? I do indeed have tons of free time, which I relish, and I'm not wasting my life, thanks.
    Watching dancing with the stars and shopping for junk at outlet malls and flea markets is a waste of a life, whether a person is content with it or not, IMO.
    I figure that whatever makes a person content and satisfied in life is never a waste of time or a life. Who are we to judge how someone finds contentment in their own life?? Now if someone is lying there on the couch watching garbage TV all the time and they're miserable and depressed and fucking hate themselves for it, then that's a waste, yes (and they should really talk to a professional about it). But if they're content and happy doing that? Or get real joy out of going to flea markets everyday? Not at all. IMO.
    I would agree. saying someone who is content and happy is wasting their life because it doesn't fit your definition of a full life is assinine.  
    It's not asinine, you just don't like it.  Wouldn't you be perfectly willing to consider a life wasted if it was spent languishing in a heroin stupor?  It makes them content and happy, but you'd still consider it a waste.  
    I draw the line a few miles from there, but it's not as extreme as it sounds, I know people way more extreme than that.
    People who live in a way that is essentially, if you aren't on the edge you are taking up too much space.
    I stand by it. alright, assinine may have been a bit strong, but I still find it ridiculous that a content life is a wasted life. that makes zero sense. 

Interesting. I don't share the view that the point of life is to be happy. I cringe a bit when I hear parents tell their kids that they should do whatever makes them happy. I think life has to be about more than happiness; I think it has to have at least some purpose that involves giving of yourself to others, otherwise it's empty. The "others" absolutely don't have to be children, but it needs to be something other than an entire focus on yourself and your own wants. 
    but a large part of what makes good people happy is helping others, contributing to society, etc. I dont' equate personal happiness necessarily with selfishness. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Yes
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Interesting. I don't share the view that the point of life is to be happy. I cringe a bit when I hear parents tell their kids that they should do whatever makes them happy. I think life has to be about more than happiness; I think it has to have at least some purpose that involves giving of yourself to others, otherwise it's empty. The "others" absolutely don't have to be children, but it needs to be something other than an entire focus on yourself and your own wants. 
    but a large part of what makes good people happy is helping others, contributing to society, etc. I dont' equate personal happiness necessarily with selfishness. 

Sure. I probably didn't elaborate enough on my comment. I was more referring to what I would see as the self-involved quest for happiness as its own goal, rather than happiness coming from a rich life. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    Yes
    I just want to play golf, eat steak, and sleep.  Selfish?  Perhaps. 
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Sure. I probably didn't elaborate enough on my comment. I was more referring to what I would see as the self-involved quest for happiness as its own goal, rather than happiness coming from a rich life. 
    yeah, I guess I just don't believe that a self-involved quest for happiness ever ends up successful. not long term anyway. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

yeah, I guess I just don't believe that a self-involved quest for happiness ever ends up successful. not long term anyway. 
    "Sorry is the fool who trades his soul for a Corvette"
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Yes
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

"Sorry is the fool who trades his soul for a Corvette"
    Definitely. If you’re trading your soul, make sure you get something better than a corvette. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Yes
    There’s no such thing as a soul. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Yes
    dankind said:
    That goes for a spirit as well.

Chaos, however, is very real.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited November 2018
    Yes
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I think it is important to be content (which, to me, basically means finding a kind of inner peace with oneself, one way or another), but I don't think being content and being happy are the same thing. That said, I don't think anyone can claim that a life is empty if it's lacking [whatever a person says fulfills a life]. Some people don't feel empty even if they never give of themselves. Others do. I believe that some people are honestly more selfish than others, and get no real satisfaction out of helping others, or at least not nearly as much as if they are mainly serving themselves. I wouldn't venture to say that those people's lives are empty. Emptiness is a very personal feeling. Others can't define that for each individual person.
    So basically... the source of contentment/happiness can only be defined by each of us for ourselves. Period. And of course if generous people fulfill their lives by giving to others, then that is indeed happiness for them as well, so probably yeah, being content and/or happy probably is the main goal in life at the end of the day. It's just what creates it for each person that varies IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Yes
    dankind said:
    I beg to differ. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    I beg to differ. ;)
    You can beg all you want, but the evidence (or lack thereof) overwhelmingly suggests that I am correct.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    lack of evidence is not, in and of itself, evidence. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited November 2018
    Yes
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    I beg to differ. ;)
    You can beg all you want, but the evidence (or lack thereof) overwhelmingly suggests that I am correct.
    It was a joke about this Atheist's username, that's all, lol.
    But more seriously... a soul has never even been defined, leaving the term open to all kinds of interpretations, which renders it all basically meaningless anyhow.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Yes

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • No
    :rofl:
    "That Buford's a sly one."  

You and dudeman are killing it today.
    Yes
    "He already knows his ABCs."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394

Hopefully it goes well
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Yes
    bflynn1 said:

Hopefully it goes well
    Is it just the two of you, or are there a group of people for this Friend beer.