Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Why do you think that people without kids and lots of free time waste their time?? I do indeed have tons of free time, which I relish, and I'm not wasting my life, thanks.
    I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about people in real life.
    Watching dancing with the stars and shopping for junk at outlet malls and flea markets is a waste of a life, whether a person is content with it or not, IMO.
    In real life, I have tons of free time and am not wasting it, lol. ;)
    I figure that whatever makes a person content and satisfied in life is never a waste of time or a life. Who are we to judge how someone finds contentment in their own life?? Now if someone is lying there on the couch watching garbage TV all the time and they're miserable and depressed and fucking hate themselves for it, then that's a waste, yes (and they should really talk to a professional about it). But if they're content and happy doing that? Or get real joy out of going to flea markets everyday? Not at all. IMO.
    I would agree. saying someone who is content and happy is wasting their life because it doesn't fit your definition of a full life is assinine.  
    It's not asinine, you just don't like it.  Wouldn't you be perfectly willing to consider a life wasted if it was spent languishing in a heroin stupor?  It makes them content and happy, but you'd still consider it a waste.  
    I draw the line a few miles from there, but it's not as extreme as it sounds, I know people way more extreme than that.
    People who live in a way that is essentially, if you aren't on the edge you are taking up too much space.
    I stand by it. alright, assinine may have been a bit strong, but I still find it ridiculous that a content life is a wasted life. that makes zero sense. 

the entire point of life is to be happy, not someone else's version of happy. 
    Is that the point of life?  If we are just a collection of cells that result from a big bang millions of years ago, is there a point at all to life?  
    Let me go smoke a joint and ponder this one. 

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Yes
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Why do you think that people without kids and lots of free time waste their time?? I do indeed have tons of free time, which I relish, and I'm not wasting my life, thanks.
    Watching dancing with the stars and shopping for junk at outlet malls and flea markets is a waste of a life, whether a person is content with it or not, IMO.
    I figure that whatever makes a person content and satisfied in life is never a waste of time or a life. Who are we to judge how someone finds contentment in their own life?? Now if someone is lying there on the couch watching garbage TV all the time and they're miserable and depressed and fucking hate themselves for it, then that's a waste, yes (and they should really talk to a professional about it). But if they're content and happy doing that? Or get real joy out of going to flea markets everyday? Not at all. IMO.
    I would agree. saying someone who is content and happy is wasting their life because it doesn't fit your definition of a full life is assinine.  
    It's not asinine, you just don't like it.  Wouldn't you be perfectly willing to consider a life wasted if it was spent languishing in a heroin stupor?  It makes them content and happy, but you'd still consider it a waste.  
    I draw the line a few miles from there, but it's not as extreme as it sounds, I know people way more extreme than that.
    People who live in a way that is essentially, if you aren't on the edge you are taking up too much space.
    I stand by it. alright, assinine may have been a bit strong, but I still find it ridiculous that a content life is a wasted life. that makes zero sense. 

Interesting. I don't share the view that the point of life is to be happy. I cringe a bit when I hear parents tell their kids that they should do whatever makes them happy. I think life has to be about more than happiness; I think it has to have at least some purpose that involves giving of yourself to others, otherwise it's empty. The "others" absolutely don't have to be children, but it needs to be something other than an entire focus on yourself and your own wants. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Yes
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Interesting. I don't share the view that the point of life is to be happy. I cringe a bit when I hear parents tell their kids that they should do whatever makes them happy. I think life has to be about more than happiness; I think it has to have at least some purpose that involves giving of yourself to others, otherwise it's empty. The "others" absolutely don't have to be children, but it needs to be something other than an entire focus on yourself and your own wants. 

I think that we all do the best that we can at any particular point in our life and no one knows what life is going to hand them. You can only except your situation and find the best way to make it work. Life, marriage, being a single parent, careers, ,  raising children - they are all difficult.  Anything worthwhile is difficult Most of life is spent finding the happy medium between the high and lows of emotions and life events.  And through dark and difficult times we find the joyous and happy moments to be ever so much more precious. Happiness is fleeting, it is not a state that someone lives in for long periods. And there are moments of my life that would fit under your definition of a life well lived and there are periods of my life that would fit under the life wasted definition. I do know that the first time I ever held my son I felt the deepest, unconditional love and I can still feel that at this moment. There have been horrendous events that have occurred because his father is a truly evil person. I would never change my decision to have him. I was absolutely ready to have a child and being a mom is the greatest and most difficult joy of my life. Better than the career I had to leave due to illness that allowed me to travel and thrive and do so many great things. Every life is different. Different periods of anyone's life can be polar opposites. My life is in a not good place right now, but I don't think that I am not worthy of a life because I have had a shit hand dealt to me. I had awesome deals too. It is life. No one knows what is really going on with someone else. Extending a hand to someone in need is just as important as say base jumping. Being in Hawaii was absolutely one of the most excellent things I have done in my life. I was privileged to be able to do so. So having an adult son and an aging mother living with me while I am dealing with illness and financial difficulty is what I need to deal with at this point in my life. The excellent things that we are able to do sustain us through the extremely difficult things that we live through. Some lives are more blessed. Some lives have more bumps in the road. Some people are resilient and some people are not. But life is a journey that is personal and I don't think that someone else should judge another's life. You have every right to your opinion, of course. I just have seen to much to think that any life should be considered a waste.  
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Me and Agnes will never have children.
    Hahaah get drunk
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yes
    I like tacos. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Yes
    I love lamp
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Yes
    I love lamp
    Putting the nail in the coffin of this one?
  • Options
    Yes
    I love lamp
    Putting the nail in the coffin of this one?
    Interesting. I suppose that depends on whose opinion's matter.
  • Options
    No
    I'm glad none of you hate being a parent. That would be really awkward. "I hate those sumbitches they eat all of the good cereal."
    I have my moments. Never "hate", or even regret, but just last night, my 9 year old, who sometimes goes on a tear and doesn't stop fucking talking. I was having a nervous fucking breakdown of anxiety, trying to rest before I went to the STP show, and she didn't take a breath for an hour talking loudly to my wife about some pc game called Prodigy. Then she was blow drying her hair, and started SHOUTING her explanation of the game over the sound of the blow dryer, 3 feet from my bedroom door. I screamed from my room for her to please be quiet. 

sometimes it's too much. other times it's not enough. it's a balance. 
    I imagine it would be really difficult to have anxiety issues when you have young children in the house. However, it made me laugh that your daughter was shouting over the blow dryer, because it sounds like she comes from not one, but two, headstrong people...she can't help herself, man. She must be heard. Lol

• Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited November 2018
    No
    njnancy said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I think that we all do the best that we can at any particular point in our life and no one knows what life is going to hand them. You can only except your situation and find the best way to make it work. Life, marriage, being a single parent, careers, ,  raising children - they are all difficult.  Anything worthwhile is difficult Most of life is spent finding the happy medium between the high and lows of emotions and life events.  And through dark and difficult times we find the joyous and happy moments to be ever so much more precious. Happiness is fleeting, it is not a state that someone lives in for long periods. And there are moments of my life that would fit under your definition of a life well lived and there are periods of my life that would fit under the life wasted definition. I do know that the first time I ever held my son I felt the deepest, unconditional love and I can still feel that at this moment. There have been horrendous events that have occurred because his father is a truly evil person. I would never change my decision to have him. I was absolutely ready to have a child and being a mom is the greatest and most difficult joy of my life. Better than the career I had to leave due to illness that allowed me to travel and thrive and do so many great things. Every life is different. Different periods of anyone's life can be polar opposites. My life is in a not good place right now, but I don't think that I am not worthy of a life because I have had a shit hand dealt to me. I had awesome deals too. It is life. No one knows what is really going on with someone else. Extending a hand to someone in need is just as important as say base jumping. Being in Hawaii was absolutely one of the most excellent things I have done in my life. I was privileged to be able to do so. So having an adult son and an aging mother living with me while I am dealing with illness and financial difficulty is what I need to deal with at this point in my life. The excellent things that we are able to do sustain us through the extremely difficult things that we live through. Some lives are more blessed. Some lives have more bumps in the road. Some people are resilient and some people are not. But life is a journey that is personal and I don't think that someone else should judge another's life. You have every right to your opinion, of course. I just have seen to much to think that any life should be considered a waste.  
    Well said, njnancy! There were a few things you mentioned, that I too have felt, but couldn't find the right words to express...

For instance, living through horrendous events...one only thinks they know how they would handle such things. Life has a way of showing us exactly how weak we are, and if we manage to live through it, you don't forget that feeling of being brought to your knees, it makes you less judgmental and harsh about your own and others frailties.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited November 2018
    No
    I want to know why @Black35 voted no in this poll, he never did say. 

Are you the board's Nostradamus? Do you put leaves in your coffee and divine the future?
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,974
    Should have asked in person. That way, you could pump your crotch during the whole conversation. Even if she said "no", you could both have a good laugh about it later.

Better luck next time, bro.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    No
    dudeman said:
    Should have asked in person. That way, you could pump your crotch during the whole conversation. Even if she said "no", you could both have a good laugh about it later.

That's an unconventional method. You're married aren't you, dudeman? I'm interested in your marriage proposal methods. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    Yes
    dudeman said:

That's an unconventional method. You're married aren't you, dudeman? I'm interested in your marriage proposal methods. 
    I proposed in Disney world on my hotel balcony. The most nerve racking moment was going through airport security with the ring in my bag. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well said, njnancy! There were a few things you mentioned, that I too have felt, but couldn't find the right words to express...

For instance, living through horrendous events...one only thinks they know how they would handle such things. Life has a way of showing us exactly how weak we are, and if we manage to live through it, you don't forget that feeling of being brought to your knees, it makes you less judgmental and harsh about your own and others frailties.
    Thank you. You put it quite well yourself!!

A fine AA saying is that for all our complaining, if we were to all throw our 'problems' onto a table, we would end up taking our own back. We know them. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:

I proposed in Disney world on my hotel balcony. The most nerve racking moment was going through airport security with the ring in my bag. 
    Awwww... :rose:
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,974
    dudeman said:

Married, yes. Unconventional? Maybe. 

I guess I'm less Don Juan and more Frank Zappa.

Works for me.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    Yes
    All this kid talk....
    I have 2 kids.
    Will trade for ‘98 LA n2 or a Cracker Jack. Must take both, not going to separate.

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,502
    mace1229 said:
    All this kid talk....
    I have 2 kids.
    Will trade for ‘98 LA n2 or a Cracker Jack. Must take both, not going to separate.

LOL..nice trade
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Yes
    mace1229 said:
    All this kid talk....
    I have 2 kids.

I ll trade all five of mine for a Pitt 2013.  Meaning I ll give you a Pitt 2013 if you take my kids for a few nights. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yes
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I have attended different work related workshop in which they discuss volunteering, and the common theme I alsweays come away with is that those who volunteer and give of themselves say they happier...So maybe happiness and giving of yourself go hand in hand.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Why isn't this thread focusing on me anymore.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Yes
    Spiritual_Chaos said:
    There is no thread integrity to uphold.

It's all Agnes' fault. :heartbreak:

• Options
    Yes
    Let's concentrate  on s.c
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Yes
    What would you like us to discuss about you?
  • Options
    Yes
    Such a nice millennial response lol. 
  • Options
    No
    If Agnes said she would go out with you if you ate some bacon, would you consider it?
  • Options
    No
    S_C, I think you sabotaged this thing, because you really want a woman named Beth.
  • Options
    Yes
    If Agnes said she would go out with you if you ate some bacon, would you consider it?
    This ^^^^ I say  it's a yes 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    Such a nice millennial response lol. 
    HAHAHAHA...my sentiments exactly. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory