Unpopular Opinions

1252628303136

Comments

  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 23,699
    mcgruff10 said:
    I wish Ed would stop playing the beginning of porch on guitar.
    THANK YOU!
    There is literally no point to it since he hands off his guitar right after the intro.  Let Mike or stone crush it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • OnWis97 said:
    rummy said:
    So this is just the General Unpopular Opinions thread and not just the Unpopular PJ Opinions thread now?

    I kinda think we should just stick to Pearl Jam.
    My intent in starting the thread was Pearl Jam...but I guess I can't control the tangents. 
    Speaking of tangents....

    I have never met a single soul on this earth who refers to any woman (girlfriend, daughter, wife, etc.) as "baby-girl" who is someone worth knowing....immediately hit the eject button on that potential friendship....
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer MarylandPosts: 15,797
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I wish Ed would stop playing the beginning of porch on guitar.
    THANK YOU!
    There is literally no point to it since he hands off his guitar right after the intro.  Let Mike or stone crush it.
    Choppy Porch definitely needs to be shelved.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 48,080
    OnWis97 said:
    rummy said:
    So this is just the General Unpopular Opinions thread and not just the Unpopular PJ Opinions thread now?

    I kinda think we should just stick to Pearl Jam.
    My intent in starting the thread was Pearl Jam...but I guess I can't control the tangents. 
    Speaking of tangents....

    I have never met a single soul on this earth who refers to any woman (girlfriend, daughter, wife, etc.) as "baby-girl" who is someone worth knowing....immediately hit the eject button on that potential friendship....
    Agreed. Good one.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 3,547
     Back to Pearl Jam? OK it’s been awhile for this one. This will be more constructive than my rant previously. But it’s a holiday season repeat, with a constructive  twist. Running out of material, perhaps I need to focus on Steven Wilson more as he has upcoming dates.

    Move the Corduroy Yeah yeah yeah two verses later in the song. Stopping Corduroy at “everything has chains” is absolutely a bad move. It turns that incredible freight train verse into a mellow folk verse, after fans chirping like a parrot for a few minutes. All momentum is replaced with a silly sing along. If Corduroy must be the place for this silly sing along, it actually fits in naturally at later in the song.

    Some crowds just don’t accept this hijacking of Corduroy. Check out then 5.1.16 boot, the crowd sings everything has chains the way it was intended.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 48,080
    edited November 2018
    I think they should fire Boom (nicely... with a big cash bonus as thanks).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,967
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think they should fire Boom (nicely... with a big cash bonus as thanks).

    :lol:

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • PJ_Soul said:
    I think they should fire Boom (nicely... with a big cash bonus as thanks).
    I will only agree after I have been able to see Crazy Mary live
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • on2legson2legs The Jersey ShorePosts: 10,068
    mcgruff10 said:
    I've never been a fan of eating turkey on Thanksgiving.  I love all the apps, sides and desserts but I have always thought the turkey was the weak point of the meal.  
    This.  Turkey is overrated. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2
    2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2
    2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1
    2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park 
    2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnRHOF)
    2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: MSG | Asbury Park

  • PJNBPJNB New BrunswickPosts: 7,515
    on2legs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I've never been a fan of eating turkey on Thanksgiving.  I love all the apps, sides and desserts but I have always thought the turkey was the weak point of the meal.  
    This.  Turkey is overrated. 
    I juicy drumstick with gravy and a good dressing is one of my favourite meals. Dried out turkey cooked too long is disgusting and not edible though imo. 
    PJ
    2013 Worcester 1 & 2
    2016 Quebec, Toronto 2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 2
    2018 Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Seattle 2, Wrigley 2, Fenway 1&2 

    EV
    2017 Firenze, Taormina 1 & 2
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,967
    dressing > turkey everyday of the week including Thanksgiving!!!

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USAPosts: 3,382
    Deadman said:
    I’m all about PJ shifting focus from playing in arenas and stadiums to playing in studios and giving us recordings we can all live out our lives listening to.
    Amen to this.  
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 23,699
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think they should fire Boom (nicely... with a big cash bonus as thanks).
    Or just do a tour without him.  Cool dude for sure, I am just not a fan of the keyboard.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 48,080
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think they should fire Boom (nicely... with a big cash bonus as thanks).
    Or just do a tour without him.  Cool dude for sure, I am just not a fan of the keyboard.  
    I really love keyboards sometimes (I'm a piano player myself, and adore piano-heavy music). I'm not so hot on the organ though, lol. I just don't think Pearl Jam has any need for one. Especially not one who isn't even a member of the band and therefore has no real input into the music writing or anything, which is why PJ has no need for a keyboardist probably. They aren't writing music that needs it on a regular basis (maybe a stand in once in a while when needs be). Plus he plays well, but not better than a ton of other people, so he's not bringing anything particularly special to the stage. I dunno, he seems completely gratuitous to me (but yeah, he seems like a cool guy. I don't know him, lol, but he's obviously chill).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 23,699
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think they should fire Boom (nicely... with a big cash bonus as thanks).
    Or just do a tour without him.  Cool dude for sure, I am just not a fan of the keyboard.  
    I really love keyboards sometimes (I'm a piano player myself, and adore piano-heavy music). I'm not so hot on the organ though, lol. I just don't think Pearl Jam has any need for one. Especially not one who isn't even a member of the band and therefore has no real input into the music writing or anything, which is why PJ has no need for a keyboardist probably. They aren't writing music that needs it on a regular basis (maybe a stand in once in a while when needs be). Plus he plays well, but not better than a ton of other people, so he's not bringing anything particularly special to the stage. I dunno, he seems completely gratuitous to me (but yeah, he seems like a cool guy. I don't know him, lol, but he's obviously chill).
    I mean organ, duh.  The organ has really killed my love for crazy mary (and boy did I play that sweet relief cd!) 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 10,474
    Dirty Frank is terrible and the only reason people chant for it is because it's never played. like Leash previously was.  stop already




  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 23,699
    pjhawks said:
    Dirty Frank is terrible and the only reason people chant for it is because it's never played. like Leash previously was.  stop already




    See I actually enjoy hearing it live.  The 94 version from the orpheum was kick ass.  But I do get what you are saying the people only like certain songs because they are rare. 
    Leash at wrigley 2 this past year was tremondous. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJNBPJNB New BrunswickPosts: 7,515
    Love Reign O'er Me is one of their best covers and besides Eddies strong vocals Boom really stands out on this one. 
    PJ
    2013 Worcester 1 & 2
    2016 Quebec, Toronto 2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 2
    2018 Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Seattle 2, Wrigley 2, Fenway 1&2 

    EV
    2017 Firenze, Taormina 1 & 2
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 48,080
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    Dirty Frank is terrible and the only reason people chant for it is because it's never played. like Leash previously was.  stop already




    See I actually enjoy hearing it live.  The 94 version from the orpheum was kick ass.  But I do get what you are saying the people only like certain songs because they are rare. 
    Leash at wrigley 2 this past year was tremondous. 
    I actually enjoy the studio version of Dirty Frank (that is probably an unpopular opinion, right?). Gotta love the songs about serial killers, haha.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 23,699
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    Dirty Frank is terrible and the only reason people chant for it is because it's never played. like Leash previously was.  stop already




    See I actually enjoy hearing it live.  The 94 version from the orpheum was kick ass.  But I do get what you are saying the people only like certain songs because they are rare. 
    Leash at wrigley 2 this past year was tremondous. 
    I actually enjoy the studio version of Dirty Frank (that is probably an unpopular opinion, right?). Gotta love the songs about serial killers, haha.
    The lyrics are hilarious. Isn’t it about their creepy bus driver in the early days?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 48,080
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    Dirty Frank is terrible and the only reason people chant for it is because it's never played. like Leash previously was.  stop already




    See I actually enjoy hearing it live.  The 94 version from the orpheum was kick ass.  But I do get what you are saying the people only like certain songs because they are rare. 
    Leash at wrigley 2 this past year was tremondous. 
    I actually enjoy the studio version of Dirty Frank (that is probably an unpopular opinion, right?). Gotta love the songs about serial killers, haha.
    The lyrics are hilarious. Isn’t it about their creepy bus driver in the early days?
    Something about some inside joke they had with their bus driver, yeah. I think they liked to tease him about being a serial killer or something? I read all about it once, but can't really remember.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I've never been a fan of eating turkey on Thanksgiving.  I love all the apps, sides and desserts but I have always thought the turkey was the weak point of the meal.  
    +1. We decided to go with chicken over turkey this year. You ever try honey badger? :lol:
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16


  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 23,699
    mcgruff10 said:
    I've never been a fan of eating turkey on Thanksgiving.  I love all the apps, sides and desserts but I have always thought the turkey was the weak point of the meal.  
    +1. We decided to go with chicken over turkey this year. You ever try honey badger? :lol:
    Honey badger?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • riley540riley540 Bellingham WAPosts: 1,009
    I often disagree with some of the political stances the band takes, although I heavily appreciate and respect their passion towards the causes they care about 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 16,075
    OnWis97 said:
    rummy said:
    So this is just the General Unpopular Opinions thread and not just the Unpopular PJ Opinions thread now?

    I kinda think we should just stick to Pearl Jam.
    My intent in starting the thread was Pearl Jam...but I guess I can't control the tangents. 
    Speaking of tangents....

    I have never met a single soul on this earth who refers to any woman (girlfriend, daughter, wife, etc.) as "baby-girl" who is someone worth knowing....immediately hit the eject button on that potential friendship....
    I called my wife babygirl until we had a daughter—after which, my daughter became babygirl. 

    Nice not knowing you. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • There are a lot of great action items here. Who's in charge of the spreadsheet? =)
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,GreecePosts: 13,945
    PJNB said:
    Love Reign O'er Me is one of their best covers and besides Eddies strong vocals Boom really stands out on this one. 
    Right Sir.
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 21,352
    edited November 2018
    Try a vegetarian thanksgiving
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 21,352
    edited November 2018
    I don't really like the covers for the Vault releases.

    I understand fully why they decided on the discrete/genereic black covers for all releases - making sure whatever show they use they didn't have to worry about the cover. Not painting themselves into a corner-

    But now with there being like 6-7 on the shelf they just blend together and are anonymised. 

    I don't know what they should have done instead, and as I said I fully understand why they made this kind of a design choice. But I wished the individual vaults would stand out more (and "say" more about the show).
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PB11041PB11041 EarthPosts: 2,335
    PJNB said:
    Love Reign O'er Me is one of their best covers and besides Eddies strong vocals Boom really stands out on this one. 
    It is the best cover they play, by far other than Sonic Reducer.


    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

Sign In or Register to comment.