Options

Kavanaugh

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,317
    edited September 2018
    11 pasty white repubs had to hire a female attorney because they’re afraid of asking questions of a woman and won’t allow other women to testify. What are they afraid of? Optics? Not being able to speak down to them? Are the repubs on here proud of their cowardly party and Team Trump Treason?
    I actually think it's one of the few things they've done right. They at least are conceding that they aren't the best ones to ask the necessary questions here. I'm sure we'd all find it entertaining to see them try, but that would be pretty worthless at getting the information needed in this situation.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    Question: she knows these guys are drugging and gang raping girls in 1981... and she continues to hang out with them, becoming a victim herself in 1982? 

What am I missing?

You know it has no bearing on this SCOTUS appointment but it is a very good question to be asking her (ask to understand).  Cause that is some seriously scaring shit right there.  Knowing what is going on and continually putting yourself at risk....scary indeed.
    It's common, not unusual. You can find girls who do this in literally every high school and college in America.
    I gotta ask, is it really common for girls to think guys are drugging or getting girls drunk, locking them in a room and guys lining up outside the room each taking a turn?  That doesn;t seem common at all to me.  I'm sure the drugging/alcohol could probably be called common...but gang bangs?  Really?  Without any girls saying anything?  I sure hope that's not common.  And it's what has me interested in her perspective as to why she and no one else said anything.
    You've never been to a frat party, have you?
    So gang bangs at every frat party? Cause that’s what I’m talking about.  So you’ve been to a frat party where a girl was gang banged and you did nothing?
    Here’s what you said that got you all pissed off. What did you mean by this? You said every frat party. What number needs to occur for you to call it common in your screed response to me? One of 10? Two? Half? One of every hundred? For fucks sake lighten up, I’m not personally attacking you cincy.

It was part of a larger conversation. Quit taking things out of context
    Be more precise with your words and stop clouding the issue. Say what you mean and mean what you say. It helps understanding.
    Thanks for the lesson. Here’s one for you... read all the posts or don’t comment. 
    I’ve read every post in this thread. Here’s a clue, say what you mean or use punctuation to to assist readers in understanding what it is your trying to convey and stop complaining that you’re being personally attacked. 

Again - thank you for your helpful tips. I look forward to meeting your expectations moving forward. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    11 pasty white repubs had to hire a female attorney because they’re afraid of asking questions of a woman and won’t allow other women to testify. What are they afraid of? Optics? Not being able to speak down to them? Are the repubs on here proud of their cowardly party and Team Trump Treason?
    I actually think it's one of the few things they've done right. They at least are conceding that they aren't the best ones to ask the necessary questions here. I'm sure we'd all find it entertaining to see them try, but that would be pretty worthless at getting the information needed in this situation.
    Except, watch the female prosecutor go easy on Kavanaugh and be really tough and grill Ford. Will the scared repubs be in the room so we can at least see and hear the inappropriate laughter and eye rolls? Reality tv at its shittiest but for its consequences.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Except, watch the female prosecutor go easy on Kavanaugh and be really tough and grill Ford. Will the scared repubs be in the room so we can at least see and hear the inappropriate laughter and eye rolls? Reality tv at its shittiest but for its consequences.
    It was 100% the right thing to do IF you are also asking witnesses to testify. I can’t stand watching the senators ask their stupid questions anyhow, but without including the other parties this just seems like the republican senators using a female lawyer to protect them from looking mean. Because the public can’t handle it when people ask tough questions so half the country would think they were being mean even if they weren’t.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,801
    tbergs said:

Are Kavanaugh and Ford even going to testify?  Seems to me they were only asking the women to testify.

Then Kavanaugh can respond with a blanket statement : "I didn't do these things"

And congRess can proceed with hijacking our government
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    "letting a girl get gang raped so you can be popular....".

So once again, it's the woman's responsibility to prevent the rape, not the guys'. 
    Its on everyone. 
    Where do you get just blaming the girls from? No one has said or suggested that at all.
    But I would blame anyone and everyone who was aware and continued on their day. Boy or girl, black, white, whatever. How does any of that matter and why do you keep bringing it up?
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    RYME said:
    El O El
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    tbergs said:
    It was 100% the right thing to do IF you are also asking witnesses to testify. I can’t stand watching the senators ask their stupid questions anyhow, but without including the other parties this just seems like the republican senators using a female lawyer to protect them from looking mean. Because the public can’t handle it when people ask tough questions so half the country would think they were being mean even if they weren’t.
    Necessary, in part, because there are no female Republicans on the committee.  Perhaps another thing that needs to be changed instead of only straight, white Christian men running the show on the Republican side.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl said:
    tbergs said:
    Necessary, in part, because there are no female Republicans on the committee.  Perhaps another thing that needs to be changed instead of only straight, white Christian men running the show on the Republican side.

Every time I see a group of the dickwads... my skin crawls: white collared, crusty old white men that make me want to puke. How has this party survived without reinventing itself?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    mace1229 said:

So once again, it's the woman's responsibility to prevent the rape, not the guys'. 
    Its on everyone. 
    Where do you get just blaming the girls from? No one has said or suggested that at all.
    But I would blame anyone and everyone who was aware and continued on their day. Boy or girl, black, white, whatever. How does any of that matter and why do you keep bringing it up?
    Shall I give the full quote, then?

"Well, if that is her reason, letting s girl get gang raped so you can be popular, is a pretty crappy reason."

You specifically blamed another women for a woman being raped. You didn't mention the other guys there, you specifically mentioned the woman. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Grassley starting it off with the "both" sides statement...nice.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Its on everyone. 
    Shall I give the full quote, then?

"Well, if that is her reason, letting s girl get gang raped so you can be popular, is a pretty crappy reason."

You specifically blamed another women for a woman being raped. You didn't mention the other guys there, you specifically mentioned the woman. 
    Am I supposed to hypothesize who else was possibly there? I was unaware of others who have come forward and admitted to witnesses such events at parties.
    In the mean time I will respond to the accusations we do have and to those who have claimed to witness the events.

I'm not sure why you're hung on to the hope that myself, and any one else who asks common-sense questions about the accusations are blaming women for this. I am not, but if that helps you ignore the obvious questions then have at it.
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    riotgrl said:
    tbergs said:

Every time I see a group of the dickwads... my skin crawls: white collared, crusty old white men that make me want to puke. How has this party survived without reinventing itself?
    Fear of change, fear of the unknown.  Maintaining the traditional order of things is first and foremost.  Men should be in charge and the little ladies (and POC) should sit down and be quiet. It will take a while and it will hurt but the country will move forward, not back, no matter what some would like.  Hopefully, we're not destroyed in the process.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options

Honest question - do you think anyone in here thinks guys behavior doing that isn’t the problem? But we are discussion a different aspect of this....when another girls sees this happening what is their reaction....

Should we start off each post with...

The guys behavior is criminal and they are at 100% fault...now on to discuss something related...

Yes, I do believe that some people don't see the guys' behaviour as the main problem. Probably for something as extreme as a "classic" rape, where the woman is resisting and the man is physically forcing her, most (not all) people would see that as primarily the fault of the guy, but always with the caveat that the woman hadn't done something that put herself in that position. Aside from that, I see an awful lot of questioning of the women's behaviour and not a lot of time at all discussing the men's behaviour. It's all part of the same, age-old, shitty double standards. Part of the same attitude that says young women shouldn't be allowed to wear shorts or short skirts or revealing tops at school (but men can go shirtless), because men can't control their own impulses. Part of the same attitude that of course women shouldn't expect to be able to go trail running alone, or walk home at night. And if she does and she is assaulted? She should have known better, that's just "reality". 

The fact that much has been posted about the "why", from the women's point of view, and some female posters have even been willing to post about their own experiences in this thread, and still some guys dismiss that, dispute it, and continue to say that isn't good enough for them tells me that yes, some people see the women's behaviour as more worthy of censure than the men's. 

And in the line that I quoted, the poster specifically singled out a woman to blame for another woman's rape. Not any of the guys actually involved, not any of the other guys at the party, but a woman.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,639
    This poor fucking woman.  This country sucks.
  • Options
    Maybe some would benefit from reading about the number of "false reports" and what the term actually means.

https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/Publications_NSVRC_Overview_False-Reporting.pdf
  • Options

Honest question - do you think anyone in here thinks guys behavior doing that isn’t the problem? But we are discussion a different aspect of this....when another girls sees this happening what is their reaction....

Should we start off each post with...

The guys behavior is criminal and they are at 100% fault...now on to discuss something related...

Yes, I do believe that some people don't see the guys' behaviour as the main problem. Probably for something as extreme as a "classic" rape, where the woman is resisting and the man is physically forcing her, most (not all) people would see that as primarily the fault of the guy, but always with the caveat that the woman hadn't done something that put herself in that position. Aside from that, I see an awful lot of questioning of the women's behaviour and not a lot of time at all discussing the men's behaviour. It's all part of the same, age-old, shitty double standards. Part of the same attitude that says young women shouldn't be allowed to wear shorts or short skirts or revealing tops at school (but men can go shirtless), because men can't control their own impulses. Part of the same attitude that of course women shouldn't expect to be able to go trail running alone, or walk home at night. And if she does and she is assaulted? She should have known better, that's just "reality". 

The fact that much has been posted about the "why", from the women's point of view, and some female posters have even been willing to post about their own experiences in this thread, and still some guys dismiss that, dispute it, and continue to say that isn't good enough for them tells me that yes, some people see the women's behaviour as more worthy of censure than the men's. 

And in the line that I quoted, the poster specifically singled out a woman to blame for another woman's rape. Not any of the guys actually involved, not any of the other guys at the party, but a woman.
    Oh please, you obviously have difficulty understanding others.
    So when I ask "if rapes were common and regular and you knew of them, why would you not say anything and continue to attend?"
    That to you means that I do not place the blame on the guys doing it?
    No one has even suggested that. Yes, the guys are to blame for this, absolutely.
    Does that mean I still can't question the source by asking "if this was such a common theme at parties where guys "lined up in trains" to rape a girl, why did you or anyone else never say anything and why would you continue to attend for years?"
    You still never answered, why is it not reasonable to ask that?

And why does asking that mean I don't blame the guys directly involved. Why do you want this swept away so fast without asking any questions?
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    She looks absolutely terrified. 
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    She looks absolutely terrified. 
    Horrible. Got choked up.  
  • Options
    This is pretty brutal to hear.
  • Options
    It's terrible. Anyone unaffected has serious issues.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    riotgrl said:
    tbergs said:

The country is 75% white... and the electoral college
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Grassley for one...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Grassley for one...
    He annoys the shit out of me. Every time he talks just make it clear it's time for him to retire.
  • Options
    This is such a damn circus.
  • Options
    I mean there is a 0% chance this dude gets confirmed in 2018, right?
  • Options
    Holy shit that laughter comment got me.
  • Options
    I mean there is a 0% chance this dude gets confirmed in 2018, right?
    Wrong. 

You should be right, but it’s far from 0%, I’d say. 
  • Options
    Ford’s reading of her opening statement struck me as a teenage girl finally being able to tell her story to someone in a position of authority and feeling relief at doing so.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©