Inuk father faces online backlash after sharing photo of beluga harvest

Comments

• rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    I'm not against hunting and fishing, both are part of my own heritage and I still engage in both from time to time.
    Whales though...those fuckers might be just as smart as us and they are certainly as loving as us.  I don't like the idea of killing whales and dolphins, it's just not groovy.
    Killing any animal - when it is not needed - is not groovy. Shouldn't need tiers on how loving or intelligent they are.

That thar be a slippery slope!
    What about the insects that are deliberately murdered on your veggie crops? 
    Not a fan of it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    I'm not against hunting and fishing, both are part of my own heritage and I still engage in both from time to time.
    Whales though...those fuckers might be just as smart as us and they are certainly as loving as us.  I don't like the idea of killing whales and dolphins, it's just not groovy.
    Killing any animal - when it is not needed - is not groovy. Shouldn't need tiers on how loving or intelligent they are.

Not a fan of it.
    But you accept it.  Why?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    In some Inuit communities they have advanced to running water and indoor plumbing, they even heat with oil, the nerve ... oh dear.  Now that they've adopted some western ways, they must give up their treaty rights to appease those who are lucky enough to live near affordable food...
    Your sarcasm isn't as effective as a legitimate rebuttal would be.
    Answer me this question:
    If the Inuit move into modern society fully and leave all their traditions behind except for spearing whales, will it still be legitimate in your eyes?  Is there no point at which the line is drawn?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2018
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Not a fan of it.
    But you accept it.  Why?
    In what way do you mean I accept it?

I try to not harm insects either, if  I can help it. I try to by ecologically (maybe you call i organically though?) farmed things as much as possible. 

And in a philosophical sense, I'd say we should try to not harm any other life - if we can help it.

But choosing a vegetarian option for you tomorrow for lunch instead of the slaughtered an murdered cow, or chicken, or fish is a very easy option to make. It's even SUPER EASY. It should be the only sane choice to make in 2018. Any other, shows a severe lack of empathy and thought.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Not a fan of it.
    But you accept it.  Why?

I try to not harm insects either, if  I can help it. I try to by ecologically (maybe you call i organically though?) farmed things as much as possible. 

And in a philosophical sense, I'd say we should try to not harm any other life - if we can help it.

But choosing a vegetarian option for you tomorrow for lunch instead of the slaughtered an murdered cow, or chicken, or fish is a very easy option to make. It's even SUPER EASY. It should be the only sane choice to make in 2018. Any other, shows a severe lack of empathy and thought.
    What I mean is that thousands upon thousands of insects die for you to eat vegetables, whether grown organically or not, and you accept it and continue to eat the vegetables.  If no distinction is to be made based on the intelligence and emotional depth of the living creature, then how do you draw the line.  Shouldn't eating plants even be a problem under that ideology?
  • rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Not a fan of it.
    But you accept it.  Why?

What I mean is that thousands upon thousands of insects die for you to eat vegetables, whether grown organically or not, and you accept it and continue to eat the vegetables.  If no distinction is to be made based on the intelligence and emotional depth of the living creature, then how do you draw the line.  Shouldn't eating plants even be a problem under that ideology?
    What do you think?
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Not a fan of it.
    But you accept it.  Why?

What do you think?
    I think the distinction is relevant.  We are animals too.  Smart ones, sure, but animals nonetheless.
    We evolved to consume a large variety of living creatures and I don't think that can be cast aside easily.
    On the other hand, we really don't NEED to eat beef for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I think that starting with the smartest and most emotional animals as "off-limits" is a good way to push societies towards eating less meat over time.  Guilt trips will only entrench the staunch carnivores, they won't make progress.

I also think veganism is silly.  If you really care so much about your food then you should produce your own.  There's nothing wrong with eggs, milk, and cheese if the animals aren't abused.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    seems there are some here not willing to look at the elephant in the room. over fishing for commercial purposes by so called civil societies have decimated most species. some of these posts seem to infer that these native peoples are the cause of the endangerment.

leave these people be.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited August 2018
    In many cases they have moved on from the Igloo and sought more permanent structures...

I don't understand why the Inuit north of the arctic circle or near the arctic circle need to hunt ... they should set farms, grow some veggies, raise cattle, pigs and chickens ... Do they not know that many of the descendants of their European conquers frown upon hunting whale and seal...go to wal mart and buy your meat!!!
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    I believe, as much as we possibly can, it's best not to kill any animals.  But it's going to happen.  The car you drive, the bus you ride in, they are going to run over insects or hit them in the air.  Windows in buildings and towers kill birds.  Etc.

But as  much as that is not good, lets keep in mind that the subject here is whales.  They are endangered and they intelligent and sensitive.  There is not only no need to kill them, it is simply wrong to do so because they are endangered and intelligent.  And they are an integral part of the ecosystem of oceans and the oceans are the most basic vital ecosystem upon which all large animals rely on for their existence.  It's simply foolhardy and suicidal to do what we are doing to sea life and oceans.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

In many cases they have moved on from the Igloo and sought more permanent structures...

I don't understand why the Inuit north of the arctic circle or near the arctic circle need to hunt ... they should set farms, grow some veggies, raise cattle, pigs and chickens ... Do they not know that many of the descendants of their European conquers frown upon hunting whale and seal...go to wal mart and buy your meat!!!
    Again, your sarcasm is a pathetic substitute for a real argument. 
    I've shown myself not to hold an extreme opinion on the topic within this very thread, making concessions and accepting validity to both sides.

I asked you a direct and earnest question in a legitimate attempt to further discussion on this controversial topic, and you refuse to answer or treat with respect.
    This means that:
    A- You are unable to present an intelligent response on the topic.
    B- You are able to present an intelligent response but refuse to do so out of hostility.

Either way, at this point you are trolling me with hostility that is unwarranted.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mickeyrat said:
    seems there are some here not willing to look at the elephant in the room. over fishing for commercial purposes by so called civil societies have decimated most species. some of these posts seem to infer that these native peoples are the cause of the endangerment.

leave these people be.
    There are several elephants in this room. Another is that First Nations people use modern fishing and hunting technology, which greatly increases the killing capacity. This is no longer a matter of pure traditional hunting, and as such it is harder to make the argument that it is ecologically balanced. Even if there wasn’t an intention to overfish or overhunt, it can still happen. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Some Inuit even have boats with gasoline engines ... just shocking, I hear they have ditched the axe for a chainsaw to gather wood ... what you say, I know ...  Some of you self righteous 10 clubbers need to head to arctic and set the Inuit straight.  Not in the summer though, go in the dead of winter ... you know when it is -40 or so.  Also inform them that its so damn hot in the south soon they'll be invaded by southerners looking for a more temperate climate.  But those southerners will not partake in your hunting and gathering customs ... instead they will open a traders Joe and a whole foods ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Some Inuit even have boats with gasoline engines ... just shocking, I hear they have ditched the axe for a chainsaw to gather wood ... what you say, I know ...  Some of you self righteous 10 clubbers need to head to arctic and set the Inuit straight.  Not in the summer though, go in the dead of winter ... you know when it is -40 or so.  Also inform them that its so damn hot in the south soon they'll be invaded by southerners looking for a more temperate climate.  But those southerners will not partake in your hunting and gathering customs ... instead they will open a traders Joe and a whole foods ...
    Your sarcasm is getting in the way of understanding others’ points. The presence of high tech fishing boats and whaling boats and skidoos and all the other modern technology means that it has the potential to push the hunting past sustainable limits. You can scoff at the idea if you wish, but that’s what’s happened everywhere else with modern fishing methods. 

FYI, everybody knows they have technology. 
    I think they even use modern guns ... the shame of it all.

Do you self righteous descendants of europeans realize how fucking stupid some of you sound ... thinking you even have the right to an opinion about the Inuit and their culture.  This is their land ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • I think RG is making very strong points about these people picking and choosing what is part of their heritage and what isn't. They're not exactly 'walking the walk' like the Amish might. They are conveniently using the 'tradition' argument when it might suit them best.

Often has also made a very good point as well with regards to scrapping 'traditional' hunting methods for modern methods that might possibly have the effect of placing heightened strain on sustainability. If these people hunted in their traditional manner... I'd be less judgemental.

I also think posing for a photo above a carcass is not respecting the animal. It's one thing to kill something... it's quite another to leer above its corpse for a photo.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    I think some Inuit still use dog sleds ... is that all-right by you self righteous ten clubbers ... or that animal cruelty.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I think some Inuit have flown on planes ... the shame they bring.
    Give Peas A Chance…

Do you self righteous descendants of europeans realize how fucking stupid some of you sound ... thinking you even have the right to an opinion about the Inuit and their culture.  This is their land ... 
    Honestly, you are deliberately missing the point, which I guess is fine - fill your boots. The fact is, though, everywhere that modern fishing and hunting methods are adopted the stocks crash. Modern fishing is just too damn effective. The boats don’t care if they are being piloted by First Nations people or white people. 

Another FYI - a big chunk of the people working in the for-profit commercial fishing industry in BC are First Nations. 
  • I think some Inuit have flown on planes ... the shame they bring.

So your argument has been reduced to sarcasm for things irrelevant to your defence of slaughtering whales?

Look... I'm in favour of propping up FN people as much as the next guy, but I'm not in favour of affording a license to do whatever they please in any manner they so choose.

This little rock in the middle of infinity was bound to get where it is at now with regards to population. Europeans were not going to live on top of each other until the next ice age, so it is what it is. FN people living in harmony with nature as they might have 400 years ago is simply not realistic. So... let's move on. If you seek the lifestyle your ancestors lived... then go get it, but don't lament it while at the same time enjoying the advancements that have taken the edge of 'simpler times'. 

You know... I heard a FN elder speak once and he spoke of how his people were a 'great warring nation of people' and had seized much land as a result of their conquests. Interesting eh? Being okay with land seizures as long as it works for you? 

As we work towards reconciliation, there's a significant amount of hypocrisy in this issue that never gets talked about and I'm kind of getting tired of. Let's place all the cards on the table- not just select ones.

Hahaha you are frothing and foaming at the mouth, can't even carry yourself like an adult, and WE sound stupid?  That's funny.
    A word of advice, if you don't learn to temper your anger and comport yourself like an adult your tenure here will be short.
    I even think that now that the Inuit have discovered flying ... they've ventured south.  bet the makes some of you you comfortable...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • I even think that now that the Inuit have discovered flying ... they've ventured south.  bet the makes some of you you comfortable...

Lol

Come on, man. I've figured out why you selected your username.

Be better than this. Seriously.
    I even think that now that the Inuit have discovered flying ... they've ventured south.  bet the makes some of you you comfortable...
    Yes, I’m comfortable with that. I think I speak for most of us. 

If that’s not what you meant, maybe proofread your posts, too. 
    Inuit traditions - Seal hunting in Greenland on dog sleds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5cw-Cl6JgM

for you delicate 10 clubbers ... do not watch.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    #I'mcomfortablewithInuitflyingtoo
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    rgambs said:

nice man bun.
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:

nice man bun.
    gotta love the fools and their man bun ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    like that cow wouldn't eat us if it had the chance....

Give Peas A Chance…
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:

nice man bun.
    gotta love the fools and their man bun ...
    That's a First Nations haircut bruh, what you got against Natives anyways yo?