Options

Inuk father faces online backlash after sharing photo of beluga harvest

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/inuk-father-faces-online-backlash-after-sharing-photo-of-beluga-harvest-1.4047872

People are just ignorant ... this is their way of life...
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited August 2018

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/inuk-father-faces-online-backlash-after-sharing-photo-of-beluga-harvest-1.4047872

People are ignorant, that's for sure.
    On the other hand, I wonder how long after becoming a social media user do you get to keep using your heritage as a reason to engage in behaviours that society frowns on. 
    Like, what's the half-life on killing highly intelligent mammals for "food security" in a modern society where you live under a functioning capitalism and use social media to justify it.
    I mean, you are complaining about the price of dried mangos??  A fruit from the tropics being expensive in the Arctic isn't a justification for killing a whale, it ain't justification for anything lol
    It's common sense and the irony of it is thick.
    Still, no reason for people to be shitty.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    It's not the Inuk way of life to eat mangos or post on Twitter, so at what point do they have to give up killing whales?  I don't know, but I feel like the timer is on and the clock is ticking.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    edited August 2018
    Don't be fooled, it is not  the Inuit way of life to hunt whales.  It's the Inuit's ancestors way of life.  I respect that this was once there way of life but it is no longer, and it is unsustainable.  Why would ANYONE want to kill endangered species?  For a so called "way of life" that is no more?  It cannot be excused in that way.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    brianlux said:
    Don't be fooled, it is not  the Inuit way of life to hunt whales.  It's the Inuit's ancestors way of life.  I respect that this was once there way of life but it is no longer, and it is unsustainable.  Why would ANYONE want to kill endangered species?  For a so called "way of life" that is no more?  It cannot be excused in that way.
    100%
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I'm not fooled it is their way of life...hate to break it to you bud they were here far longer than you and your ancestors and the European conquerers they do not your permission to hunt or kill...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

rgambs said:

On the other hand, I wonder how long after becoming a social media user do you get to keep using your heritage as a reason to engage in behaviours that society frowns on. 
    Like, what's the half-life on killing highly intelligent mammals for "food security" in a modern society where you live under a functioning capitalism and use social media to justify it.
    I mean, you are complaining about the price of dried mangos??  A fruit from the tropics being expensive in the Arctic isn't a justification for killing a whale, it ain't justification for anything lol
    So what if they use social media?  Once again the Inuit do not need your permission, especially the permission of governments installed by their European conquerers.  Oh dear lord, have you heard, the Inuit can access the internet and post on social media ... quick ban their hunting and their traditional ways ... would this surprise you, some Inuit no longer use dog sleds, they have snow machines....yes, I know, how dare they use modern machinery ... LMFAO ....
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Life in the North is tough, hunting is a necessity ... but most importantly when First Nations and the Inuit hunt they do not need your permission...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    edited August 2018
    So what happens to their tradition when the whale is extinct.  What do they move on to
     Because  they could just move on to that now . No?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    So what happens to their tradition when the whale is extinct.  What do they move on to
     Because  they could just move on to that now . No?
    I doubt where they live the whale is going to go extinct.  This is there way a life, why do europeans and europeans conquerers think they have a right to tell them how to live?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I'm not telling them. I wonder if it's an endangered animal it means it WILL become extinct . So what then is what I ask?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Another thing ... the First Nations and Inuit are not the cause of a species going extinct ... once again it was the European conquerers who along with clear cutting land for farming has done the most harm to wildlife in NA...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I understand . But what happens when the whale is gone. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    And I say, who says they won't have whale to hunt?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    5 things you might not know about Indigenous hunting and fishing rights

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/hunters-and-gatherers-indigenous-hunting-fishing-rights-explained-1.4347488

It's their right to hunt and fish ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Whale is only 1 of many food sources the Inuit rely on.  The Inuit can take care of themselves.  Only the strong survive that far north...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I can imagine  how hard it is. There are many sustainable  animals .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited August 2018
    5 things you might not know about Indigenous hunting and fishing rights

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/hunters-and-gatherers-indigenous-hunting-fishing-rights-explained-1.4347488

It's their right to hunt and fish ... 
    And I believe it is my task/duty, what ever the fuck you call it- to protect my planet.  I'm looking at the bigger picture.  I'm not going to support a custom that is no longer necessary for these people's survival.  I respect native peoples and have come to their defense at least as much as anyone on these forums but I am not going to put anyone's customs above protecting the planet.  It starts and ends with the ocean and its all connected. 
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

I cannot put it any better than this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/sep/21/sea-shepherd-paul-watson-whales

Do you see any situation where it's okay to hunt a whale, say Indigenous people who have for centuries been living off whale meat and blubber?

You know, everything has changed because we have a population of seven billion people on the planet right now, and the oceans are dying. The oceans have been so severely diminished that there's a good chance we could kill them. And if the oceans die, we die. In light of that prospect I find it very difficult to be sympathetic to any cultural needs in order to destroy endangered species. Yeah, sure, it isn't the Inuit's fault that the whales have been diminished, but they can finish the job. When you get right down to it, it's all about human beings. I don't divide them into groups – the human species has been an extremely destructive species and has the potential to destroy the life support system for humanity. So this traditional stuff really gets to me – anything that involves killing an endangered species or destroying a habitat, if that involves tradition, I say ecology comes before tradition. I'd rather be ecologically correct than politically correct.

• Options
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    OK fine, I think the Inuit should practice the parts of the culture that are not harming the world that sustains them. It would be a shame to lose all of their culture, and to be assimilated and lost would be terrible.  But killing off the last of the whales?  How is that keeping culture alive?  It's not, it's foolishness and self-defeating. 

Ecological balance always trumps harmful cultural practices in a world that is able to support us. Unless you want most or all human and large mammal life to cease, it just makes more sense to be ecologically correct than politically correct. If survival is your objective, you have to look at the science of ecology.

• Options

rgambs said:

So what if they use social media?  Once again the Inuit do not need your permission, especially the permission of governments installed by their European conquerers.  Oh dear lord, have you heard, the Inuit can access the internet and post on social media ... quick ban their hunting and their traditional ways ... would this surprise you, some Inuit no longer use dog sleds, they have snow machines....yes, I know, how dare they use modern machinery ... LMFAO ....
    So when they live in high rise condos and wear a suit and tie to work, will they still get to claim their ancestry to kill intelligent and sensitive animals that are going extinct?
  • Options
    Whale is only 1 of many food sources the Inuit rely on.  The Inuit can take care of themselves.  Only the strong survive that far north...
    Yeah, sure, they take care of themselves with dried mangos they walked to South America to pick and dry and then walked back.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I cannot put it any better than this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/sep/21/sea-shepherd-paul-watson-whales

Do you see any situation where it's okay to hunt a whale, say Indigenous people who have for centuries been living off whale meat and blubber?

You know, everything has changed because we have a population of seven billion people on the planet right now, and the oceans are dying. The oceans have been so severely diminished that there's a good chance we could kill them. And if the oceans die, we die. In light of that prospect I find it very difficult to be sympathetic to any cultural needs in order to destroy endangered species. Yeah, sure, it isn't the Inuit's fault that the whales have been diminished, but they can finish the job. When you get right down to it, it's all about human beings. I don't divide them into groups – the human species has been an extremely destructive species and has the potential to destroy the life support system for humanity. So this traditional stuff really gets to me – anything that involves killing an endangered species or destroying a habitat, if that involves tradition, I say ecology comes before tradition. I'd rather be ecologically correct than politically correct.

And it's not just ecologic correctness, it's the hypocrisy of leaving behind massive chunks of your culture for modern global comfort and convenience, but clinging to the bloodiest rituals with an iron grip.
  • Options
    I'm not against hunting and fishing, both are part of my own heritage and I still engage in both from time to time.
    Whales though...those fuckers might be just as smart as us and they are certainly as loving as us.  I don't like the idea of killing whales and dolphins, it's just not groovy.
  • Options
    Everyone not being vegetarian/vegan in the year of the lord 2018 should have gotten backlash if we were in a sane timeline.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    edited August 2018
    rgambs said:
    I'm not against hunting and fishing, both are part of my own heritage and I still engage in both from time to time.
    Whales though...those fuckers might be just as smart as us and they are certainly as loving as us.  I don't like the idea of killing whales and dolphins, it's just not groovy.
    Killing any animal - when it is not needed - is not groovy. Shouldn't need tiers on how loving or intelligent they are.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Also continuing a great tradition of freezing their nuts off in the wild north while forgoing Papa John's and aeroplane moving trips to places in the Bahamas.  At least they can play Fortnight online now if they choose to.  

The Future!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Killing any animal - when it is not needed - is not groovy. Shouldn't need tiers on how loving or intelligent they are.

That thar be a slippery slope!
    What about the insects that are deliberately murdered on your veggie crops? 
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I imagine any life form that had higher intelligence than humans would treat us in the same manner

• Options
    In some Inuit communities they have advanced to running water and indoor plumbing, they even heat with oil, the nerve ... oh dear.  Now that they've adopted some western ways, they must give up their treaty rights to appease those who are lucky enough to live near affordable food...
    Give Peas A Chance…