Options

Don Mattingly Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    Marlins sure as hell played better without ol' Donnie managing this year...
    Less major injuries to their better players and good signings. Would have the same results possibly better if he had stayed
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    I think Donnie just gave the BJ’s manager some bad advice.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    Wobbie said:
    I don't know. Now that I think about it, the Marlins likely would've won 110 games had they kept Donnie and would've gotten a bye.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Wobbie said:
    I don't know. Now that I think about it, the Marlins likely would've won 110 games had they kept Donnie and would've gotten a bye.
    162-0, and cancelled playoffs...just give Donnie his long overdue trophy to get him into the HoF
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    SI reporting several teams looking at Donnie. They didn’t give any specifics. I’m not buying it.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Is it SI or is it their new bullshit fan fed team specific type sites?
    I see so many bogus reports from "SI" now.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    new scenario for donnie….

SD has granted SF permission to talk to bob melvin….melvin goes to SF….donnie gets to manage all that “talent” in SD.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Wobbie said:

SD has granted SF permission to talk to bob melvin….melvin goes to SF….donnie gets to manage all that “talent” in SD.
    I saw that about Melvin a couple of weeks ago. But they might trade Soto. And I think they might look to get rid of the contracts of Machado. Just have a feeling they might look to rebuild soon. Unless they sign a Kershaw and another bat. Also how will Melvin be any better with less talent in SF?
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:

I saw that about Melvin a couple of weeks ago. But they might trade Soto. And I think they might look to get rid of the contracts of Machado. Just have a feeling they might look to rebuild soon. Unless they sign a Kershaw and another bat. Also how will Melvin be any better with less talent in SF?
    SF doesn’t really have the talent to be good but I think Melvin might be able to get through to them in a way he was unable to do with the prima donna Padres.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:

SF doesn’t really have the talent to be good but I think Melvin might be able to get through to them in a way he was unable to do with the prima donna Padres.
    I have heard talk of Ohtani going there because of the talent they have.

Matos, Luciano, Ramos and the young pitchers?  Hell Wilmer Flores gave u 20+ HR's.  Thats more than he ever gave the Mets.

Don't count your Giants so low.
  • Options
    Astros job is open. If they want to get on my good side.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:

I have heard talk of Ohtani going there because of the talent they have.

Matos, Luciano, Ramos and the young pitchers?  Hell Wilmer Flores gave u 20+ HR's.  Thats more than he ever gave the Mets.

Don't count your Giants so low.
    sorry to muck up your mattingly thread, igot…

I’m not sure I even want my giants to give ohtani what could turn out to be an albatross contract. is there any chance at all he re-signs with the halos? i’m afraid he’s gonna go to the d**gers. the rich get richer. even if the contract is an albatross, they have so much fucking money it won’t hurt them.

as far as our young guys….they’re decent but we need them to be better than decent. with the exception of the clueless rockies, the NL West will continue to be tough, especially with the emergence of the d-bags.

OK….back to donnie….I don’t see him getting a managerial job…not this year; maybe never again.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Not sure why not ever? Worse managers have had more jobs. But I would say as more teams get more analytical they'll want to hire first time managers they can manipulate. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Not sure why not ever? Worse managers have had more jobs. But I would say as more teams get more analytical they'll want to hire first time managers they can manipulate. 
    just not sure it’s gonna happen…

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    It would suck with this many openings and not get an offer. I don't know if he's even looking. I haven't heard anything. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Question, is Donnie an analytic guy?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    igotid88 said:
    I think he has learned to embrace it. He knows it's going to be a part of the game. I don't believe he's a full on analytics guy. There are still owners that are still allow old school
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I think he has learned to embrace it. He knows it's going to be a part of the game. I don't believe he's a full on analytics guy. There are still owners that are still allow old school
    I heard that they do that in the playoffs now and very little analytics.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I heard that they do that in the playoffs now and very little analytics.
    I don’t know if that statement should have a wink emoji or not…

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Casey won't return as Yankees hitting coach 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Well the Guardians are off the board
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Mets are going to be out too. If it's not Counsell it will be Mendoza 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    after googling the four remaining openings, the best hope I can give you is the milwaukee journal sentinel had donnie listed with seven other “bench coaches with managerial experience.”

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Not looking good. Hate the Astros but the best shot for any manager to make the playoffs. Brewers are in an easier division so that would be my 2nd. I like the Angels so wouldn't mind him going there. And then the Padres. 

But since the Cubs just shocked everyone an fired Ross out of the blue. Here's hoping the Yankees do the same
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Best shot he has I guess is if the Blue Jays get off to a bad start. Then he can maybe take over. Unless they promote grounds crew guy over him
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Mattingly's role has been expanded to bencg coach and offensive coordinator. Still will interview for the Brewers job
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    When it is all said and done, I think we call agree that Preston Mattingly will go down in history as having a much bigger impact on the sport of baseball than any other Mattingly that has ever lived. 

Preston>Don
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    When it is all said and done, I think we call agree that Preston Mattingly will go down in history as having a much bigger impact on the sport of baseball than any other Mattingly that has ever lived. 

Preston>Don
    Preston is the Dale Berra 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    If I knew the Cubs were looking. I would have liked for Donnie to go there. Imagine Eddie and Don on the phone discussing the lineups
    I miss igotid88