Options

Roseanne Barr

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    mcgruff10 said:
    Automatic weapons?  At least know what you are talking about before making a tweet.
    And  yes there are such things as cultural differences, that's why the word cunt as always been a very offensive word to me and a hell of a lot of people living here in the states. 
    His tweet is apples and oranges.
    His tweet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=the7gV99YRI
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mcgruff10 said:
    Automatic weapons?  At least know what you are talking about before making a tweet.
    And  yes there are such things as cultural differences, that's why the word cunt as always been a very offensive word to me and a hell of a lot of people living here in the states. 
    Do you avoid calling your male friends dicks as well? And tell me which nations suggest it’s ‘culturally appropriate’ to refer to black people as apes?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Do you avoid calling your male friends dicks as well? And tell me which nations suggest it’s ‘culturally appropriate’ to refer to black people as apes?
    To me the word is totally different.  
    I have no clue which nation says it is cultural appropriate to refer to black people as apes.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have no clue which nation says it is cultural appropriate to refer to black people as apes.
    Well you seem to think that calling black people apes is on par with someone calling someone else a cunt. And if that's not the case then why did you bring it up?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Well you seem to think that calling black people apes is on par with someone calling someone else a cunt. And if that's not the case then why did you bring it up?
    Excuse me?  Where did I ever say such a thing or even imply it?  I merely posted an article and asked if the woman should also be fired since she used an offensive word on national tv.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    So you are saying joking around with your friends is the same as going on tv or twitter to bash someone you don't agree with?  Seriously?  You all have gone batshit crazy in trying to defend this lady for her terrible remarks.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    mcgruff10 said:

Good call, he should have just said guns.

• Options
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    So you are saying joking around with your friends is the same as going on tv or twitter to bash someone you don't agree with?  Seriously?  You all have gone batshit crazy in trying to defend this lady for her terrible remarks.  
    And somehow I got called a racist in the process.  I have no clue why I even post here sometimes.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Excuse me?  Where did I ever say such a thing or even imply it?  I merely posted an article and asked if the woman should also be fired since she used an offensive word on national tv.

This thread is about a woman who was fired for comparing black people to apes. You responded by asking if a woman who used a derogatory word on television should also be fired. If you can't see why people would perceive that as your suggestion that those two acts are on par with each other, then you're not being logical, honest, or both.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

This thread is about a woman who was fired for comparing black people to apes. You responded by asking if a woman who used a derogatory word on television should also be fired. If you can't see why people would perceive that as your suggestion that those two acts are on par with each other, then you're not being logical, honest, or both.
    Or you are all to damn defense and dense to see that I merely posted an article and asked a question.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    So since it appears people on AMT have lost their collective minds due to trump overload... let me run it down for you:

1) you can be upset/outraged whatever you want to call it about Rosanne and believe it was a racist tweet and...
    2) still think Samantha Bee using the c-word on TBS in reference to another woman is horrible and....
    3) think it was terrible when Rush and others attacked a young Chelsea Clinton in horrible ways and...
    4) think that the US needs gun control.

I would have thought it was obvious but since everyone is deflecting maybe it wasn’t. 
    Ok, yes, you can be upset about both and all, but I don't think that is what anyone is arguing against. The main point is that name calling, while rude and childish, does not garner the same impact. You find calling someone the C-word horrible, why? You are obviously entitled to your opinion and have every right to be mad about it, but in the scheme of things, who cares? I wouldn't care if Kellyanne called Hillary the same name, but I'm sure some hardcore liberals might feign the same outrage conservatives are spewing now over Bee.

Much like Bee, Ivanka is an adult and her actions and choices are going to be criticized and may outrage people to the point of where they say some vulgar things which are in direct correlation to their action/inaction on certain issues.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Or you are all to damn defense and dense to see that I merely posted an article and asked a question.
    Well, in fairness, you were pretty vague and did not outright state what your opinion was on the issue. To me it seemed like you were trying to point out some sort of hypocrisy, but maybe I'm wrong.

As for Bee getting fired, I don't care either way, that is up to the company she works for. I also don't think calling someone a feckless cunt is near as inappropriate as comparing a black person to an ape.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    So since it appears people on AMT have lost their collective minds due to trump overload... let me run it down for you:

1) you can be upset/outraged whatever you want to call it about Rosanne and believe it was a racist tweet and...
    2) still think Samantha Bee using the c-word on TBS in reference to another woman is horrible and....
    3) think it was terrible when Rush and others attacked a young Chelsea Clinton in horrible ways and...

I would have thought it was obvious but since everyone is deflecting maybe it wasn’t. 
    Ok, yes, you can be upset about both and all, but I don't think that is what anyone is arguing against. The main point is that name calling, while rude and childish, does not garner the same impact. You find calling someone the C-word horrible, why? You are obviously entitled to your opinion and have every right to be mad about it, but in the scheme of things, who cares? I wouldn't care if Kellyanne called Hillary the same name, but I'm sure some hardcore liberals might feign the same outrage conservatives are spewing now over Bee.

Much like Bee, Ivanka is an adult and her actions and choices are going to be criticized and may outrage people to the point of where they say some vulgar things which are in direct correlation to their action/inaction on certain issues.
    Ask Kat why that name calling is rude, vulgar and awful.....cause if I called you that I'd get a warning / ban here wouldn't I?  Words like that are intended to dehumanize the person being attacked.  That's not a good thing.  She could have said any number of profane words and it wouldn't be as big a deal....she went for 1 of the worst words she could think of to get attention....and it worked, just not the attention she wanted.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Well, in fairness, you were pretty vague and did not outright state what your opinion was on the issue. To me it seemed like you were trying to point out some sort of hypocrisy, but maybe I'm wrong.

As for Bee getting fired, I don't care either way, that is up to the company she works for. I also don't think calling someone a feckless cunt is near as inappropriate as comparing a black person to an ape.

It should also be up to her employer whether or not she gets fired. (& if that comes as a result of public sentiment or losing sponsors, then so be it)
    When the Executive Branch of our government starts suggesting someone should get fired for something they said, THAT is a violation of the 1st amendment.

• Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I certainly don;t think it's a fireable offense in my opinion.  But it's a data point for future discussion.  Then again, they have to weigh the damage she caused them vs the benefit and make that decision.  I do think it is HIGHLY inappropriate for the President to call for her to be fired.  Awful abuse of power.....again.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    at this point, i'd say give Roseanne back her show.  let's stop being a country of prudes that care more about words than the real issues.  after all, its not easy to find stuff to laugh about.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

-A statement is made equating black people and apes
    -A statement is made by someone else equating Ivanka Trump and a vagina
    -You ask a question: if Point A led to a firing, shouldn't Point B lead to a firing?
    -People conclude if you're asking for the same result, then the actions are proportional
    -You get confused by this conclusion.

I don't know what more to say. If you can't follow this basic 'if this then that' logic, there's no point in anyone here wasting their time on this topic with you.

EV
  • Options
    tbergs said:

Ask Kat why that name calling is rude, vulgar and awful.....cause if I called you that I'd get a warning / ban here wouldn't I?  Words like that are intended to dehumanize the person being attacked.  That's not a good thing.  She could have said any number of profane words and it wouldn't be as big a deal....she went for 1 of the worst words she could think of to get attention....and it worked, just not the attention she wanted.
    I get it. I would never encourage or want my kids to make comments in such a way about someone they disagree with, but I think it all comes down to context. If there was a social, cultural or legal issue you and I disagreed on and your choices were further leading to a harmful impact on others, at some point I would either have to choose to just drop it and walk away or call you out on it full on. I think you are right, Bee went for a phrase she knew would fully convey her disgust. I can't say I would probably ever do that, but I'm not a TV personality trying to get the message through to others who may not fully comprehend the damage these types of decisions, or lack there of, have on society.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

That s a big assumption bud but point noted, if you are vague and don’t outright state your opinion than you are automatically a racist. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

That s a big assumption bud but point noted, if you are vague and don’t outright state your opinion than you are automatically a racist. 
    Whoa, now. I never said or thought you were a racist. I stated that your question and opinion on the two being similar was being vaguely implied, not that you agreed with either.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    And somehow I got called a racist in the process.  I have no clue why I even post here sometimes.  
    Who called you a racist?

• Options
    My gawd there is a major difference between these two cases.

Does anybody remember when Howard Cosell got fired for his off-hand comment (which was not near as vulgar as 'tub-of-shit's overtly racist venom)? Her comment was absolutely inexcusable (even though she tried to run from it afterwards). 

The word c**t is acceptable in some cases. Sometimes 'asshole' simply isn't strong enough. It's not something you toss out there carelessly. It's reserved for a c**t. There aren't a lot of these around, but in the Trump circle... there are plenty c**ts.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    So what, the POTUS does it on a weekly basis.  The only single difference is that some people decide to be super triggered by the word "cunt" for absolutely no logical reason.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

Does anybody remember when Howard Cosell got fired for his off-hand comment (which was not near as vulgar as 'tub-of-shit's overtly racist venom)? Her comment was absolutely inexcusable (even though she tried to run from it afterwards). 

The word c**t is acceptable in some cases. Sometimes 'asshole' simply isn't strong enough. It's not something you toss out there carelessly. It's reserved for a c**t. There aren't a lot of these around, but in the Trump circle... there are plenty c**ts.
    No one is saying there isn't....why are people create an argument that never existed.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

No one is saying there isn't....why are people create an argument that never existed.

If memory serves me correct... wasn't there an allusion to a double standard (roughly equating the two remarks)?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    Well it worked, people are talking about Samantha Bee for some fucking reason...
    So do we all agree that if she says something like this again she should be fired?
    You cant be serious brother?
  • Options
    I wouldn't fire Samantha Bee, I would give that glorious cunt a fucking raise!
  • Options
    You cant say Trump is impressing you, then advocate to fire Samantha Bee for name calling. Trump is the biggest name calling piece of shit bully on the planet, and us the POTUS 

wtf is going on in this country?
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    You cant say Trump is impressing you, then advocate to fire Samantha Bee for name calling. Trump is the biggest name calling piece of shit bully on the planet, and us the POTUS 

wtf is going on in this country?
    And you can't call out trump for his bullshit and ignore it from Samantha Bee...wtf is going on in this country?

All a bunch of hypocrites.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    The POTUS should be held to a different standard than a comic.

Also, this has Zero to do with a racist piece of shit getting her show cancelled.  

The love he receives is the love that is saved