Options

Roseanne Barr

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    tbergs said:
    When will the White House call for the Congress and Senate to act on the garbage spewing racist in the oval office. They're all a bunch of hypocritical idiots. It's so sickening and disgusting that Sanders can even keep a straight face while the shit pours out of her mouth.
    she'll get hers. or maybe she's already a miserable piss bucket and gets hers on a daily having to look herself in the mirror. she's a disgusting vile pig of a human. 
    If for any reason I'm being asked tough questions by the media....she may just be my #1 pick to defend me though.
    a good portion of her answers are nothing but "the president has been very clear on his position on that" and "we're not going to get into the specifics of that at this time". all she's good it is not looking flustered and sweaty like Spicer did. he was horrible at his job. she's better than he was, which isn't great. 
    I would compare her to the defense attorney who cares nothing about fact or truth and just does what they are paid to do; divert, deny and defend.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Only in America are we broadly offended by the "see you next Tuesday" word.  The English and the Aussies use it the same as we use "shit" or "fuck."
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mcgruff10 said:
    Should Samantha Bee get fired next?

White House Condemns ‘Vile and Vicious’ Samantha Bee, Calls on Time Warner, TBS to Act

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders denounced Samantha Bee on Thursday after the comedian called first daughter Ivanka Trump a “feckless c–t.” Sanders also called on Bee’s bosses at Time Warner and TBS to take action.

“The language used by Samantha Bee last night is vile and vicious. The collective silence by the left and its media allies is appalling,” Sanders told TheWrap.

“Her disgusting comments and show are not fit for broadcast, and executives at Time Warner and TBS must demonstrate that such explicit profanity about female members of this administration will not be condoned on its network.”

Reps for both TBS and Time Warner did not immediately respond to request for comment from TheWrap.

Bee has faced mounting criticism for the jab, which was made as part of the opening monologue for her show “Full Frontal” on Wednesday night. The line was used as part of a broader criticism of the first daughter for her failure to stop her father’s immigration policies.

“Let me just say, one mother to another, do something about your dad’s immigration practices you feckless c–t!” said Bee. “He listens to you. Put on something tight and low cut and tell your father to f–king stop it. Tell him it was an Obama thing and see how it goes.”

The remarks from Bee come just days after Roseanne Barr’s program on ABC was cancelled by the network over a racially charged joke in which Barr said former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett had been the child of apes and the Muslim Brotherhood. Barr’s show was axed despite her decision to delete the tweet and offer a swift apology.

TBS has yet to announce what action, if any, will be taken to address Bee’s comments about the first daughter.

no. had roseanne barr used that language, I wouldn't say she should have been cancelled either. racism is much worse than the c word. 

the office of the president should never, ever, call for any private entity to do anything, but here we are again, them trying to dictate private corporations and how they should act. 

that's up to the public and the private entity, not the office of POTUS. it's a disgusting abuse of power. 

why didn't sara sanders come to the defense of Valerie Jarrett, I wonder. 

no, I actually fucking don't. 
    The c-word is pretty bad.....and while woman on woman hit here, it's screams of sexism.  Ignoring all the political bs surrounding this, Rosanne deserved to be cancelled for the straight-up racist tweet, and anyone calling someone the C-word likely has something coming to them too.  
    Yes, Samantha Bee should have to sleep on the couch for a night or two. At least, that's been my punishment the two times I've leveled it at someone who was being a c-word.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    One vile comment directed at one’s father for their horrendous immigration policy, which is adjustable, changeable, amendable versus another vile comment directed at an individual for their skin color, which is not adjustable, changeable or amendable. The two are not the same and we’ll be subjected to at least a week of repube talking heads trying to convince us that it is. The hilarity is that the Team Trump Treason bully Administration is made up of a bunch of snowflakes. I’m sure there will be some on here defending Samantha Bee’s freedom of speech and wondering how long she must be exiled to the Siberia of media, wherever that is these days.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    When will the White House call for the Congress and Senate to act on the garbage spewing racist in the oval office. They're all a bunch of hypocritical idiots. It's so sickening and disgusting that Sanders can even keep a straight face while the shit pours out of her mouth.
    she'll get hers. or maybe she's already a miserable piss bucket and gets hers on a daily having to look herself in the mirror. she's a disgusting vile pig of a human. 
    If for any reason I'm being asked tough questions by the media....she may just be my #1 pick to defend me though.
    a good portion of her answers are nothing but "the president has been very clear on his position on that" and "we're not going to get into the specifics of that at this time". all she's good it is not looking flustered and sweaty like Spicer did. he was horrible at his job. she's better than he was, which isn't great. 
    I would compare her to the defense attorney who cares nothing about fact or truth and just does what they are paid to do; divert, deny and defend.
    I would put her much lower than that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    mcgruff10 said:
    Should Samantha Bee get fired next?

White House Condemns ‘Vile and Vicious’ Samantha Bee, Calls on Time Warner, TBS to Act

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders denounced Samantha Bee on Thursday after the comedian called first daughter Ivanka Trump a “feckless c–t.” Sanders also called on Bee’s bosses at Time Warner and TBS to take action.

“The language used by Samantha Bee last night is vile and vicious. The collective silence by the left and its media allies is appalling,” Sanders told TheWrap.

“Her disgusting comments and show are not fit for broadcast, and executives at Time Warner and TBS must demonstrate that such explicit profanity about female members of this administration will not be condoned on its network.”

Reps for both TBS and Time Warner did not immediately respond to request for comment from TheWrap.

Bee has faced mounting criticism for the jab, which was made as part of the opening monologue for her show “Full Frontal” on Wednesday night. The line was used as part of a broader criticism of the first daughter for her failure to stop her father’s immigration policies.

“Let me just say, one mother to another, do something about your dad’s immigration practices you feckless c–t!” said Bee. “He listens to you. Put on something tight and low cut and tell your father to f–king stop it. Tell him it was an Obama thing and see how it goes.”

The remarks from Bee come just days after Roseanne Barr’s program on ABC was cancelled by the network over a racially charged joke in which Barr said former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett had been the child of apes and the Muslim Brotherhood. Barr’s show was axed despite her decision to delete the tweet and offer a swift apology.

TBS has yet to announce what action, if any, will be taken to address Bee’s comments about the first daughter.

no. had roseanne barr used that language, I wouldn't say she should have been cancelled either. racism is much worse than the c word. 

the office of the president should never, ever, call for any private entity to do anything, but here we are again, them trying to dictate private corporations and how they should act. 

that's up to the public and the private entity, not the office of POTUS. it's a disgusting abuse of power. 

why didn't sara sanders come to the defense of Valerie Jarrett, I wonder. 

no, I actually fucking don't. 
    The c-word is pretty bad.....and while woman on woman hit here, it's screams of sexism.  Ignoring all the political bs surrounding this, Rosanne deserved to be cancelled for the straight-up racist tweet, and anyone calling someone the C-word likely has something coming to them too.  
    I don't think it screams of sexism at all. especiall that it's woman to woman. had this been Stephen Colbert saying it, I'd agree that it might have crossed a line using that word. 

I don't find the word sexist, I find it repulsive. 
    Well I mostly disagree.  But can see how more repulsive woman to woman (I would guess much like the racist term black to black).  Extremely repulsive and awful word, but not as bad as sexist/racist when used by the opposite sex/race.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited May 2018
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    I'm saying that anyone who doesnt find what she said to be racist - is racist.

Pointing at other people and saying "look what they did!" can not be any excuse.  

Who cares is what she said can be taken racist?  Have we reached this point in society that twitter backlash is the judge, jury and executioner?  Are you comfortable with that?
    Public opinion has always been the social judge, jury and executioner. That's why the show was cancelled, and why Roseanne isn't going to jail or being charged for being racist.
    So you were and okay with the nazi’s persecuting jews?  I like to think we’ve learned and evolved from that world, but I guess we haven’t 
    What the fuck are you saying? Don't you dare put those disgusting, vile words in my mouth.

I will defend Roseanne's right to be a gross racist in public, until the day she tries to do illegal harm to a black person. I will also defend a neo-Nazi's right to be a neo-Nazi and share whatever gross opinions they have, until they act illegally on those stances. Then it crosses into a legal issue, which is addressed by the judicial system, rather than the social system.

Hey man, you are the one that’s cool with social jury, judge, and executioner.  I was arguing against that type of mentality.  But you support it.
    That is both offensive and nonsensical. The Nazis were the government and the law, so not comparable to a public reaction to something in any way. I really can't fucking believe you just compared the public's reaction to Roseanne's tweeting to Nazis persecuting Jews - it's probably the most ridiculous comparison I've ever seen on the AMT.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    tbergs said:
    She seems mean....and if I was being attacked I'd want her meanness on my side ;)
    I find her repulsive and cowardly. 

She's a bully, like her boss. (as well as repulsive & cowardly)

RE: Samantha Bee... F Me in the Brain hit the nail on the head, this is apples & oranges compared to Roseanne. Judging someone based on their actions (or lack thereof) is pretty different than judging someone based on their race. As reprehensible as the c word is, it still isn't racist.

If you need that explained to you..... 

Also, Hugh, you hit on another great point - the Executive Branch shouldn't be sticking their noses into private businesses for political purposes... this goes for the NFL, the Washington Post, or Time Warner. There are actual laws against this, but for some reason this administration is getting a pass.

• Options
    tbergs said:
    She seems mean....and if I was being attacked I'd want her meanness on my side ;)

RE: Samantha Bee... F Me in the Brain hit the nail on the head, this is apples & oranges compared to Roseanne. Judging someone based on their actions (or lack thereof) is pretty different than judging someone based on their race. As reprehensible as the c word is, it still isn't racist.

Also, Hugh, you hit on another great point - the Executive Branch shouldn't be sticking their noses into private businesses for political purposes... this goes for the NFL, the Washington Post, or Time Warner. There are actual laws against this, but for some reason this administration is getting a pass.

The NFL has a certain exemption in a law passed by Congress. Just saying.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergs said:

Not any more they don't.

http://time.com/3839164/nfl-tax-exempt-status/

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    tbergs said:

As much as I dislike Samantha Bee I agree, its apples to oranges.  I believe her show is taped like most late night shows so the producers or TBS or whoever probably should of had the hindsight to edit that part out.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I don't see what is so bad about the word in the first place.
    We just arbitrarily decided it was the worst word for what reason again?  Then it becomes a pet peeve for some women and I just don't get it.
    There are probably a dozen words like bitch and slut that actually say something bad about a person that aren't so maligned.
    I don't get it (because it doesn't make any fucking sense) and it's not even in the same universe as comparing a black person to an ape.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I don't see what is so bad about the word in the first place.
    We just arbitrarily decided it was the worst word for what reason again?  Then it becomes a pet peeve for some women and I just don't get it.
    There are probably a dozen words like bitch and slut that actually say something bad about a person that aren't so maligned.
    I don't get it (because it doesn't make any fucking sense) and it's not even in the same universe as comparing a black person to an ape.
    I have this conversation with my wife all the time. I've become a bit of a sailor in my parenthood, and she always gets bent out of shape when I curse. 

Fuck means sex/screw. So how is one worse than the other? it's not, some people just decided it was for no reason. 
    Same with shit=poop. Etc. it's nonsensical. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Research shows that swearing is good for mental stability, and that smarter people tend to swear more. :plus_one:

As a woman, FTR, I have no problem with the c-word - the only time I do is if it's used maliciously against someone who doesn't deserve it. However, I'm probably in the minority of North American who feel this way. But I don't know why so many people are triggered by this word. Why is it considered to be worse than any other profanity? That's just dumb.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Research shows that swearing is good for mental stability, and that smarter people tend to swear more. :plus_one:

As a woman, FTR, I have no problem with the c-word - the only time I do is if it's used maliciously against someone who doesn't deserve it. However, I'm probably in the minority of North American who feel this way. But I don't know why so many people are triggered by this word. Why is it considered to be worse than any other profanity? That's just dumb.
    it is, but I still find myself cringing at it. not sure why. it's just so.....verbally violent maybe? like it potrays an intense amount of anger. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

it is, but I still find myself cringing at it. not sure why. it's just so.....verbally violent maybe? like it potrays an intense amount of anger. 
    Not when I say it, and not when anyone I know says. And not when everyone outside of North America says it. Damn, you can barely go 10 minutes in the UK without hearing it. I understand what you're saying, but I'm sure you're also aware that that perception is completely coloured by simple cultural bias. The word doesn't actually carry a more intense anger and isn't actually more verbally violent. Not objectively, in and of itself. Obviously how it's used is the only variable there, and that context/tone can be equally applied to all profanities.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Not when I say it, and not when anyone I know says. And not when everyone outside of North America says it. Damn, you can barely go 10 minutes in the UK without hearing it. I understand what you're saying, but I'm sure you're also aware that that perception is completely coloured by simple cultural bias.
    well of course. saying the word faggot here has a much differnet connotation than it does in the UK as well, but that doesn't take away from its meaning in our cultural context. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Not when I say it, and not when anyone I know says. And not when everyone outside of North America says it. Damn, you can barely go 10 minutes in the UK without hearing it. I understand what you're saying, but I'm sure you're also aware that that perception is completely coloured by simple cultural bias.
    well of course. saying the word faggot here has a much differnet connotation than it does in the UK as well, but that doesn't take away from its meaning in our cultural context. 
    I wouldn't say that's comparable, because it's not even a swear word in the UK.
    The c-word has the same meaning in both places.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Weird how no one on the right seemed too bothered when Ted Nugent called Hillary a toxic c*** a few years back.
    The double standards are staggering.

http://www.westword.com/news/ted-nugent-called-hillary-clinton-a-toxic-c-nt-eighteen-years-ago-5872607

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889

Weird how no one on the right seemed too bothered when Ted Nugent called Hillary a toxic c*** a few years back.

http://www.westword.com/news/ted-nugent-called-hillary-clinton-a-toxic-c-nt-eighteen-years-ago-5872607

He doesn't have a tv show.  Plus you are talking about a quote from 1994, I merely linked the article since Roseanne got fired the same week for using racist language.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

not necessarily. in the UK, it can mean women's genetalia, a random person ("mate"), or an idiot. most people use it in the context of the latter two. 

the meaning is quite a bit stonger here when used in a derogatory way. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

not necessarily. in the UK, it can mean women's genetalia, a random person ("mate"), or an idiot. most people use it in the context of the latter two. 

the meaning is quite a bit stonger here when used in a derogatory way. 
    It also means those things here. The only difference is that people get offended by it here more. The meaning isn't stronger, the reaction is. IMO.
  • Options
    I've never ever once heard people here use it casually with those meanings. I rarely hear it at all. must be a vancouver thing. :lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I've never ever once heard people here use it casually with those meanings. I rarely hear it at all. must be a vancouver thing. :lol:
    Maybe! lol. I definitely know plenty of people here who use it pretty casually (myself included, but I know my audience, so as not to offend all the others who are sensitive to it). I can think of at least 3 co-workers who use it in front of me (because they know they can), let alone friends outside of the workplace, lol. No, not as "mate", you're right, but we know that's one of the word's meanings even if people don't use it, right? In any case, look, that word is used in the same context as "bitch" is here, right? The only thing that makes people think the c-word is worse than the b-word is ... nothing but a bias against the word. God knows both words can be used in equally vicious ways, but they can also both be used in equally non-vicious ways.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

He doesn't have a tv show.  Plus you are talking about a quote from 1994, I merely linked the article since Roseanne got fired the same week for using racist language.

He doesn't have a radio show?

• Options
    tbergs said:

Not any more they don't.

http://time.com/3839164/nfl-tax-exempt-status/

I was thinking more about the anti-trust exemption and how it affects labor relations. Its complicated but there was somehting that happened between the players and owners and when I heard the reporting of the issue and the why, I thought, hmmmm, that's not your typical employer being held accountable. It may also help explain why Kapernick has been successfully blacklisted. But I'm not sure as my memory is fuzzy and its too much for me to research right now. We have Rosanne to occupy our time. If I think of the thng that I was thinking of originally and think to post it, I will.

http://www.pepperlaw.com/publications/why-the-nfl-says-theres-no-crying-antitrust-in-football-2011-05-16/

Basically, the NFL is not bound by (insert labor law here, "Fair Employment Act?"). I dunno.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    edited May 2018
    What lunacy.  Dude, she called a black person an ape.  
    Where is the double standard here?

Only a racist fails to see that this is an unacceptable racist thing.

Criticizing the president is something totally unrelated to her getting her due as a racist piece of donkey shit.
    Jumped into this conversation late.

first, I think what Rosanne said was terrible and I’m glad she got fired for it.

But I also agree there is a double standard in that when a conservative says something like that the fallout is 10 times worse. I’ve mentioned before that it is fairly common to see people group conservatives into redneck, toothless sister-loving idiots.
    Remember after the Vegas shooter than CBS exec who said she was glad that country music goers were shot, because country music is associated with Republicans? Yes, she got fired, but that was the end of it and I think I heard about it once. No doubt by if someone on Fox said something equivalent they would have lost sponsors on all their shows, people would be demanding boycotts, that entire network would have been destroyed. But with CBS it was forgotten in a day and moved on. No real backlash, no loss of sponsors, they didn’t shut down for a day to take some sensitivity training. 
    There is a double standard with the public reaction to these events.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Criticizing the president is something totally unrelated to her getting her due as a racist piece of donkey shit.

first, I think what Rosanne said was terrible and I’m glad she got fired for it.

But I also agree there is a double standard in that when a conservative says something like that the fallout is 10 times worse. I’ve mentioned before that it is fairly common to see people group conservatives into redneck, toothless sister-loving idiots.
    Remember after the Vegas shooter than CBS exec who said she was glad that country music goers were shot, because country music is associated with Republicans? Yes, she got fired, but that was the end of it and I think I heard about it once. No doubt by if someone on Fox said something equivalent they would have lost sponsors on all their shows, people would be demanding boycotts, that entire network would have been destroyed. But with CBS it was forgotten in a day and moved on. No real backlash, no loss of sponsors, they didn’t shut down for a day to take some sensitivity training. 
    I know what you're saying, but a racist comment against a minority is not the same as making a nasty comment about Republicans. The comment that woman made was insane, but it's still not the same. And it still got the idiot fired. And if someone on Fox said something equivalent, the only reason Fox would lose sponsors and see boycotts (but by who? The Fox audience would love it, lol) is because fucking Fox wouldn't fire the person! In the case of CBS, she was immediately fired, issue over. Why would sponsors bail if the problem was already handled? They wouldn't.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

There is a double standard with the public reaction to these events.
    Its still a false equivalency. A one year legal affairs person within a network is not the same as a "star" who appears on television before millions of viewers for whatever the number of weeks the show runs. Had you ever heard of this CBS employee prior to her disgusting post/tweet?

CBS Corp. fired a vice president in business affairs Monday for comments she made on social media regarding the mass shooting at a country music festival in Las Vegas.

Hayley Geftman-Gold, wrote on her Facebook page that she was not sympathetic to victims of the shooting because, she claimed, most country music fans are Republican.

Geftman-Gold also wrote: “If they wouldn’t do anything when children were murdered I have no hope that Repugs will ever do the right thing. I’m actually not even sympathetic bc country music fans often are Republican gun toters.”

The comments were deleted but not before they were picked up on a number of right-wing blogs and websites. A petition was posted online that called for her firing.

A CBS spokesperson confirmed that Geftman-Gold was dismissed because of her comments.

“This individual, who was with us for approximately one year, violated the standards of our company and is no longer an employee of CBS. Her views as expressed on social media are deeply unacceptable to all of us at CBS. Our hearts go out to the victims in Las Vegas and their families,” the company said in a statement.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-las-vegas-shooting-live-updates-cbs-fires-executive-for-deeply-1506969657-htmlstory.html

That's how you deal with stupidity, free speech be damned.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Well it worked, people are talking about Samantha Bee for some fucking reason...