Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    You cant say Trump is impressing you, then advocate to fire Samantha Bee for name calling. Trump is the biggest name calling piece of shit bully on the planet, and us the POTUS 

wtf is going on in this country?
    And you can't call out trump for his bullshit and ignore it from Samantha Bee...wtf is going on in this country?

All a bunch of hypocrites.

Really?

The President of the United States shoudn't be held to a higher standard than late night talk show hosts?

So again where did I say that?  But if it helps you to ignore someone using a very derogatory term towards someone just because you agree with the sentiment of hating that same person....feel free to continue to make stuff up
    Did you need to say it explicitly? Come on, really. You said you "can't" call out Trump and ignore Bee.... Why the hell not???? They are not even in the same ballpart - people SHOULD be reacting in a much different way to Trump than they do to Bee.
    Now, I don't think a single person here has defended Bee using the word on network television... but why in the hell that is even being connected to how people react to Trump, yourself included, is beyond me.
    Hmmmm..cause inappropriate behavior is inappropriate for anyone in my world.  And when you are in different positions...president, school teacher, cop, whatever it comes with varying degrees of inappropriateness.  I guess I expect more out of people than you do.  In your world it's ok to attack a women and call her the c-word if you disagree with her father.  Strange world.
    We both live in the same world man, and I think everyone is free to call anyone else an asshole, a dickhead, and douchebag, the c-word, an idiot, a fuck face, etc etc etc, if that's what they think of the person (assuming there aren't any mods telling us we're not allowed to). Now, you tell me that you've never called anyone any of those words in your whole life, and your self-righteous statement will ring true. Otherwise, you're at least as hypocritical as you're calling everyone else.
    For me, and a lot of people there are words that cross the line. The n-word for one, the c-word for another. It is just so violently dismissive.

https://babe.net/2016/07/01/people-offended-word-cunt-psychologist-explains-4332

So I guarantee I’ve been a hypocrite from time to time. But not on this.
    I have to disagree. Just because you happen to be offended by one word, it doesn't give  you the moral high ground. Anyone can just as easily not mind the c-word, but be completely offended by someone calling another person the bag that is inserted into a woman's vagina and squeezed to inject a stream of water into the vaginal cavity. Someone else might be much more offended over someone being likened to the hole out of which shit comes. Who are you or anyone to determine which word crosses a line? Especially when it comes to a word that is used with ease in other places?
    The n-word is racist, so totally different.
    Dude it’s not just me. Society as a whole tends to decide these things. There is a reason Samantha used that specific word and not douchebag. 
    What reason is that? Do you think Samantha is a self-loathing female who intended to desecrate the value of the whole gender? Also, PJ_Soul is a dudette I believe. Society as a whole didn't decide definitively on the c-word, based on the fact that around fifteen different people on a Pearl Jam forum can't even agree on whether it should be socially acceptable. The jury is still out on this clearly. And yes, she used that word because whether acceptable or not, Samantha wanted to make it clear that she feels that Ivanka is worthy of words of greater severity than a db. 
    No but she wanted to cause a stir and wanted to degrade a dehumanize someone that she disagrees with politically.
    Well, she wanted to insult someone she disagrees with and clearly doesn't like.... This happens a lot. Why are you bothered this time? Because you don't like the specific profanity she used.... Feels like an issue that would be big in a Baptist Church to me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    she has also since apologized. syaing she deeply regrets it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Soon Zippo will become the new c-word....
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    she has also since apologized. syaing she deeply regrets it. 
    So immediately set herself up as being demonstrably morally superior to the POTUS.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    You cant say Trump is impressing you, then advocate to fire Samantha Bee for name calling. Trump is the biggest name calling piece of shit bully on the planet, and us the POTUS 

And you can't call out trump for his bullshit and ignore it from Samantha Bee...wtf is going on in this country?

Really?

The President of the United States shoudn't be held to a higher standard than late night talk show hosts?

So again where did I say that?  But if it helps you to ignore someone using a very derogatory term towards someone just because you agree with the sentiment of hating that same person....feel free to continue to make stuff up
    Did you need to say it explicitly? Come on, really. You said you "can't" call out Trump and ignore Bee.... Why the hell not???? They are not even in the same ballpart - people SHOULD be reacting in a much different way to Trump than they do to Bee.
    Now, I don't think a single person here has defended Bee using the word on network television... but why in the hell that is even being connected to how people react to Trump, yourself included, is beyond me.
    Hmmmm..cause inappropriate behavior is inappropriate for anyone in my world.  And when you are in different positions...president, school teacher, cop, whatever it comes with varying degrees of inappropriateness.  I guess I expect more out of people than you do.  In your world it's ok to attack a women and call her the c-word if you disagree with her father.  Strange world.
    We both live in the same world man, and I think everyone is free to call anyone else an asshole, a dickhead, and douchebag, the c-word, an idiot, a fuck face, etc etc etc, if that's what they think of the person (assuming there aren't any mods telling us we're not allowed to). Now, you tell me that you've never called anyone any of those words in your whole life, and your self-righteous statement will ring true. Otherwise, you're at least as hypocritical as you're calling everyone else.
    For me, and a lot of people there are words that cross the line. The n-word for one, the c-word for another. It is just so violently dismissive.

https://babe.net/2016/07/01/people-offended-word-cunt-psychologist-explains-4332

I have to disagree. Just because you happen to be offended by one word, it doesn't give  you the moral high ground. Anyone can just as easily not mind the c-word, but be completely offended by someone calling another person the bag that is inserted into a woman's vagina and squeezed to inject a stream of water into the vaginal cavity. Someone else might be much more offended over someone being likened to the hole out of which shit comes. Who are you or anyone to determine which word crosses a line? Especially when it comes to a word that is used with ease in other places?
    Dude it’s not just me. Society as a whole tends to decide these things. There is a reason Samantha used that specific word and not douchebag. 
    What reason is that? Do you think Samantha is a self-loathing female who intended to desecrate the value of the whole gender? Also, PJ_Soul is a dudette I believe. Society as a whole didn't decide definitively on the c-word, based on the fact that around fifteen different people on a Pearl Jam forum can't even agree on whether it should be socially acceptable. The jury is still out on this clearly. And yes, she used that word because whether acceptable or not, Samantha wanted to make it clear that she feels that Ivanka is worthy of words of greater severity than a db. 
    No but she wanted to cause a stir and wanted to degrade a dehumanize someone that she disagrees with politically.
    Well, she wanted to insult someone she disagrees with and clearly doesn't like.... This happens a lot. Why are you bothered this time? Because you don't like the specific profanity she used.... Feels like an issue that would be big in a Baptist Church to me.
    I'll tell you why it bothers me.
    1) It was said on public TV....and the network let it pass
    2) I have a 10 year old daughter as well as a successful engineer wife.  I'm tried of bullshit sexist things being passed off as ok the way the n-word once was and gay once was.  
    3) I'm tired of the double standard with word.  Blacks using the n-word is just as bad as a white.  A woman using the c-word is just as bad as a man.  They are derogatory terms generally accepted to be the worst of the worst that is meant to dehumanize their targets and get a crowd reaction.  And every time it's used without being confronted the crowd whoops it up more....the exact same way that idiot trump and his supporters have used words.
    4) I hate hypocrites.  For sure we all are from time to time, but I'm really tired of the back and forth of "Oh yeah, but what about what your team did...."  It's killing the political process and killing our country faster then guns.
    5) I name call and use profanity as well....and it's when I'm generally out of control.  We can't let this be the new norm for us.  And at the very least we shouldn't use the worst of the worst words.

So of course Trump is a racist attacking idiot that should be removed from office.  Of course Rosanne is a racist idiot that rightfully lost her show.  But it doesn't mean that Samantha Bee's use of the most derogatory term for a woman can slide by, especially since she used it in anger towards a woman (instead of the man her anger should be directed at) on national TV.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    my2hands said:
    Where is George Carlin when we need him? 

I've honestly been thinking about how it's okay to prick your finger but not to finger your prick for the past three days!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    benjs said:
    my2hands said:

I've honestly been thinking about how it's okay to prick your finger but not to finger your prick for the past three days!
    No shit!

I just don't get this hysteria (pun intended) over the word cunt.
    It's just another word.  If you choose to give it so much weight, that's your problem isn't it?
    I also don't get the backlash against the N word being used colloquially among black people.  Who gives a shit?  
    Oh boo hoo, I can't say it but they do.  Somebody call the whaaaambulance.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327

my2hands said:

he's dead ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

2) I have a 10 year old daughter as well as a successful engineer wife.  I'm tried of bullshit sexist things being passed off as ok the way the n-word once was and gay once was.  
    3) I'm tired of the double standard with word.  Blacks using the n-word is just as bad as a white.  A woman using the c-word is just as bad as a man.  They are derogatory terms generally accepted to be the worst of the worst that is meant to dehumanize their targets and get a crowd reaction.  And every time it's used without being confronted the crowd whoops it up more....the exact same way that idiot trump and his supporters have used words.
    4) I hate hypocrites.  For sure we all are from time to time, but I'm really tired of the back and forth of "Oh yeah, but what about what your team did...."  It's killing the political process and killing our country faster then guns.
    5) I name call and use profanity as well....and it's when I'm generally out of control.  We can't let this be the new norm for us.  And at the very least we shouldn't use the worst of the worst words.

So of course Trump is a racist attacking idiot that should be removed from office.  Of course Rosanne is a racist idiot that rightfully lost her show.  But it doesn't mean that Samantha Bee's use of the most derogatory term for a woman can slide by, especially since she used it in anger towards a woman (instead of the man her anger should be directed at) on national TV.  
    The c-word is not more sexist than the b-word is (in fact, I would argue that the b-word is far more sexist than the c-word), but the b-word is used regularly on network TV and the FCC made it okay decades ago.
    As for not wanting people to swear.... that's up to you. But FWIW, psychologists say it's healthy for us.
    I for one think that trying to quash profanity is akin to trying to quash anything else on the basis of a moral authority... Not a good thing. America has quite enough Puritanism running through society already.
    And I personally think it is indeed the show's producers' fault, not Samantha Bee's fault. As they've acknowledged, they never should have let the word slip buy on network television. But they did. Every day, all kinds of respected TV personalities say something inappropriate for TV while working, but it gets cut out. It's not that she said it that is the problem - it's that it got aired on network TV (or at least I think it was network TV... ? If not, then wtf are we even talking about it for. I guess I'm just assuming!).
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    tbergs said:
    Just an observation, but it seems most on here are also refraining from actually typing the word "cunt" and opting for c-word, but we've all dropped other cuss words without a second thought. Is it because it does carry more weight in our current culture or because we're afraid the mods will become upset, which goes back to my first point? 
    Because like it or not, words take on meanings and become worse than other words....and the c-word is one of those bad words.  Its a dehumanizing way to degrade a woman. 
    But is it, though?  LIke I mentioned before, the US seems to be the only majority English-speaking nation that has a problem with it.  I call my male friends cunts quite a bit.  Has nothing to do with dehumanzing a female and I don't think of females or female anatomy when I call them that, nor is it the intended reference.  It's just my way of saying  "you fucking idiot!"  Like the English & Aussies do.

American women are also often digusted & offended by another word.  Next thing you know we won't be able to say "moist" in public.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

The c-word is not more sexist than the b-word is (in fact, I would argue that the b-word is far more sexist than the c-word), but the b-word is used regularly on network TV and the FCC made it okay decades ago.
    As for not wanting people to swear.... that's up to you. But FWIW, psychologists say it's healthy for us.
    I for one think that trying to quash profanity is akin to trying to quash anything else on the basis of a moral authority... Not a good thing. America has quite enough Puritanism running through society already.
    And I personally think it is indeed the show's producers' fault, not Samantha Bee's fault. As they've acknowledged, they never should have let the word slip buy on network television. But they did. Every day, all kinds of respected TV personalities say something inappropriate for TV while working, but it gets cut out. It's not that she said it that is the problem - it's that it got aired on network TV (or at least I think it was network TV... ? If not, then wtf are we even talking about it for. I guess I'm just assuming!).
    Holy shit I don't care if people swear I do it all the time.  Nevermind, this is a useless discussion as we are not communicating well. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

great post and I agree 100% with you say here.  I'm honestly extremely surprised that people here are arguing against these points and are ok with the word Bee used on TV.  
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Really?

Holy shit I don't care if people swear I do it all the time.  Nevermind, this is a useless discussion as we are not communicating well. 
    Huh. I thought it was a perfectly fine discussion .... I know you don't care if people swear... unless it's the wrong swear word of course. ;)
  • Options
    This would be a great discussion for happy hour today. Where should we all meet? It's about that time here you bunch of wankers :wink:
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    This would be a great discussion for happy hour today. Where should we all meet? It's about that time here you bunch of wankers :wink:
    Adding alcohol to this discussion would't be a wise choice
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    tbergs said:
    Just an observation, but it seems most on here are also refraining from actually typing the word "cunt" and opting for c-word, but we've all dropped other cuss words without a second thought. Is it because it does carry more weight in our current culture or because we're afraid the mods will become upset, which goes back to my first point? 
    Because like it or not, words take on meanings and become worse than other words....and the c-word is one of those bad words.  Its a dehumanizing way to degrade a woman. 
    But is it, though?  LIke I mentioned before, the US seems to be the only majority English-speaking nation that has a problem with it.  I call my male friends cunts quite a bit.  Has nothing to do with dehumanzing a female and I don't think of females or female anatomy when I call them that, nor is it the intended reference.  It's just my way of saying  "you fucking idiot!"  Like the English & Aussies do.

American women are also often digusted & offended by another word.  Next thing you know we won't be able to say "moist" in public.
    there are so many issues with this post.

1st off, its not just a US issue. 
    2nd do you call your female friends the c-word alot also?  i find it interesting that you write male friends instead.
    3rd, I know many woman who have been called c by men who were abusive toward them.  it is a dehumanzing term.
    4th, i like how you just basically say to woman to suck it up about words and then compare the C word to moist
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

great post and I agree 100% with you say here.  I'm honestly extremely surprised that people here are arguing against these points and are ok with the word Bee used on TV.  
    Saying it on TV, meh, I don't know. It's a cable network airing in the late evening (I think that's right anway, never seen it). I heard (and saw) a lot worse beginning with the NYPD Blue era of MA-14 shows that aired weekday evenings.This wasn't the evening news at 600pm or Nickelodeon on Saturday morning.  Hopefully no one offended is enjoying watching Game of Thrones if it's about it airing on TV. And I agree, the network made the choice by airing it, which means they weren't afraid of the FCC, or didn't care. 
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Law & Order: SVU is still a super popular network show where we can enjoy seeing women raped and children molested and murdered. And on the news we get to watch civilians get gunned down by America's allies, in living colour ... But yeah, the C-word is definitely a no-no on late night cable! For shame, all of us who aren't scandalized by a word some people find offensive!!

• Options
    edited June 2018
    fife said:
    tbergs said:

2nd do you call your female friends the c-word alot also?  i find it interesting that you write male friends instead.
    3rd, I know many woman who have been called c by men who were abusive toward them.  it is a dehumanzing term.
    4th, i like how you just basically say to woman to suck it up about words and then compare the C word to moist
    Abused women, children and men are called a lot of things which include every swear word you can think of, so that would be like saying every swear word is dehumanizing. Bitch is a female dog in heat and is the only one I can think of that derives from an animal. We shit, fuck and piss so the rest have all derived from some part of our anatomy or bodily functions. 
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    tbergs said:
    fife said:
    tbergs said:

Abused women, children and men are called a lot of things which include every swear word you can think of, so that would be like saying every swear word is dehumanizing. Bitch is a female dog in heat and is the only one I can think of that derives from an animal. We shit, fuck and piss so the rest have all derived from some part of our anatomy or bodily functions. 
    Exactly. Singling out the c-word makes absolutely no sense at all.
    Context is everything. If you call an abused woman a stupid jerk while she's being abused, that is no better at all. But that isn't stopping people from saying stupid jerk.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    Meanwhile, Law & Order: SVU is still a super popular network show where we can enjoy seeing women raped and children molested and murdered. And on the news we get to watch civilians get gunned down by America's allies, in living colour ... But yeah, the C-word is definitely a no-no on late night cable! For shame, all of us who aren't scandalized by a word some people find offensive!!

Puritanism 101 right there!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    fife said:
    tbergs said:

Context is everything. If you call an abused woman a stupid jerk while she's being abused, that is no better at all. But that isn't stopping people from saying stupid jerk.
    Meanwhile, it's truly a testament to the power of distraction that on a thread titled Roseanne Barr, created about her abhorrent comparison of black persons to apes, we're talking about the validity of the c-word.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Well then who gives a shit about anything else....
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    fife said:
    tbergs said:

Right context is everything.  If you call your buddy a c-word cause he spilled his beer on you, that's one thing.  If you use it while attacking a woman for something you disagree with it's a completely other thing.  But of course since we have the news on TV and other violent shows fuck it, let's allow everything!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    fife said:
    tbergs said:

Steve Martin stars in: The Cunt
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    fife said:
    tbergs said:

Meanwhile, it's truly a testament to the power of distraction that on a thread titled Roseanne Barr, created about her abhorrent comparison of black persons to apes, we're talking about the validity of the c-word.
    Lol. Well, I figure just about anything is worth talking about. ;) This conversation has definitely not made me forget about how Roseanne did the ape/black thing... Man, it really surprises me that people still have thoughts like that in their heads. Though I think that about the n-word too. My god, I've never actually known anyone who would ever even have it occur to them to actually use that word to describe black people. I mean, obviously they're out there, even in Canada, among our own white supremacist crowd, but I've never once heard anyone use it in that context. The only context I've heard it said in in person is when we're actually discussing the use of the word, and in a few jokes that were told precisely because they were supposed to be shocking. Overall, in my life, the word just doesn't even register in most people's heads.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    fife said:
    tbergs said:

Right context is everything.  If you call your buddy a c-word cause he spilled his beer on you, that's one thing.  If you use it while attacking a woman for something you disagree with it's a completely other thing.  But of course since we have the news on TV and other violent shows fuck it, let's allow everything!!!
    exactly. not sure why this is so hard for some to understand.

and does Law and Order show actual rape and abuse?  not that i'm aware of but I honestly don't watch it.
  • Options
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    fife said:
    tbergs said:

No it;s just that the other topic would be a 100% circle jerk as everyone agrees.  You want 100 pages of ...

"Yup racist"

"Yes siree that's racist"

"Wow racist comment there"

"That there is Racist"

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    fife said:
    tbergs said:

Lol. Well, I figure just about anything is worth talking about. ;) This conversation has definitely not made me forget about how Roseanne did the ape/black thing... Man, it really surprises me that people still have thoughts like that in their heads. Though I think that about the n-word too. My god, I've never actually known anyone who would ever even have it occur to them to actually use that word to describe black people. I mean, obviously they're out there, even in Canada, among our own white supremacist crowd, but I've never once heard anyone use it in that context. The only context I've heard it said in in person is when we're actually discussing the use of the word, and in a few jokes that were told precisely because they were supposed to be shocking. Overall, in my life, the word just doesn't even register in most people's heads.
    two white guys at my work. one I still work with, one I don't. 

first guy, about 15-20 years ago. we were in the lunchroom together. basketball highlights are on. a black player dunks the ball and swings from the hoop. he says "and people wonder why they compare them to monkeys". 

I was in such shock I was speechless. I have always regretted not punching him in the balls. 

second guy, around the same time frame. we worked with a black dude. he was talking about new years eve and how he and some friends had rented a limo and such. white coworker to black coworker: "so you're the n**** the saw in the limo on NYE!". our jaws were both on the floor. we couldn't believe it. I urged my black coworker to go to HR, which he eventually did. it got put on his file. I'm convinced it was that singular incident that prevented white shithead from getting onto the RCMP. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    fife said:
    tbergs said:

No it;s just that the other topic would be a 100% circle jerk as everyone agrees.  You want 100 pages of ...

"Yup racist"

"Yes siree that's racist"

"Wow racist comment there"

"That there is Racist"

Honestly, it'd give me a lot more faith in humanity than this bullshit we're seeing here. Nine pages (and counting) because of manufactured outrage that we don't consider Ivanka Trump being called a c**t as egregious as Roseanne Barr equating black people (not one individual, but literally all dark-skinned humans) with apes. The modern state of affairs is beyond astounding to me. This is why I come on here and preach doom and gloom - because we, as a race, are FUBAR. Common sense is completely uncommon, and human decency is a myth on a global scale.

EV