Options

Roseanne Barr

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    my2hands said:
    You cant say Trump is impressing you, then advocate to fire Samantha Bee for name calling. Trump is the biggest name calling piece of shit bully on the planet, and us the POTUS 

wtf is going on in this country?
    And you can't call out trump for his bullshit and ignore it from Samantha Bee...wtf is going on in this country?

All a bunch of hypocrites.

Really?

The President of the United States shoudn't be held to a higher standard than late night talk show hosts?

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    my2hands said:
    You cant say Trump is impressing you, then advocate to fire Samantha Bee for name calling. Trump is the biggest name calling piece of shit bully on the planet, and us the POTUS 

And you can't call out trump for his bullshit and ignore it from Samantha Bee...wtf is going on in this country?

Really?

The President of the United States shoudn't be held to a higher standard than late night talk show hosts?

So again where did I say that?  But if it helps you to ignore someone using a very derogatory term towards someone just because you agree with the sentiment of hating that same person....feel free to continue to make stuff up
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

my2hands said:

Really?

So again where did I say that?  But if it helps you to ignore someone using a very derogatory term towards someone just because you agree with the sentiment of hating that same person....feel free to continue to make stuff up

Your exact words:

"And you can't call out trump for his bullshit and ignore it from Samantha Bee"

Why not? He's the elected leader of the free world who promised us all he would act presidential if elected then went back on his promise. She's a late night talk show host.

If I misunderstood your quote, by all means, please clarify my mistake.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    Grown American adults name calling.  Proof yet again the America had largely become an immature, dysfunctional nation of over-grown adolescents. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I have seen the Samantha Bee show four or five times and think it's kinda funny.  That said, I don't know her history.

But Roseanne has other instances as well.  This last one was the most overt but it was probably also the straw that broke the camel's back.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited June 2018
    my2hands said:

And you can't vote for & show your support for Trump because he "speaks his mind and tells it like it is" but then get offended when Samantha Bee does the same.

Speaking of hypocrites.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

And you can't vote for & show your support for Trump because he "speaks his mind and tells it like it is" but then get offended when Samantha Bee does the same.

Speaking of hypocrites.
    I agree with that. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    my2hands said:

Really?

Did you need to say it explicitly? Come on, really. You said you "can't" call out Trump and ignore Bee.... Why the hell not???? They are not even in the same ballpart - people SHOULD be reacting in a much different way to Trump than they do to Bee.
    Now, I don't think a single person here has defended Bee using the word on network television... but why in the hell that is even being connected to how people react to Trump, yourself included, is beyond me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

Did you need to say it explicitly? Come on, really. You said you "can't" call out Trump and ignore Bee.... Why the hell not???? They are not even in the same ballpart - people SHOULD be reacting in a much different way to Trump than they do to Bee.
    Now, I don't think a single person here has defended Bee using the word on network television... but why in the hell that is even being connected to how people react to Trump, yourself included, is beyond me.
    Hmmmm..cause inappropriate behavior is inappropriate for anyone in my world.  And when you are in different positions...president, school teacher, cop, whatever it comes with varying degrees of inappropriateness.  I guess I expect more out of people than you do.  In your world it's ok to attack a women and call her the c-word if you disagree with her father.  Strange world.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

Hmmmm..cause inappropriate behavior is inappropriate for anyone in my world.  And when you are in different positions...president, school teacher, cop, whatever it comes with varying degrees of inappropriateness.  I guess I expect more out of people than you do.  In your world it's ok to attack a women and call her the c-word if you disagree with her father.  Strange world.
    We both live in the same world man, and I think everyone is free to call anyone else an asshole, a dickhead, and douchebag, the c-word, an idiot, a fuck face, etc etc etc, if that's what they think of the person (assuming there aren't any mods telling us we're not allowed to). Now, you tell me that you've never called anyone any of those words in your whole life, and your self-righteous statement will ring true. Otherwise, you're at least as hypocritical as you're calling everyone else.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021
    HE SAID AUTOMATIC WEAPONS INSTEAD OF USING WHATEVER-IS-THE-CORRECT-TERMINOLOGY, THEREFORE HIS POINT IS MOOT. 

Damn people from nations not being so infested by guns that they know to use the correct terms for them.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

We both live in the same world man, and I think everyone is free to call anyone else an asshole, a dickhead, and douchebag, the c-word, an idiot, a fuck face, etc etc etc, if that's what they think of the person (assuming there aren't any mods telling us we're not allowed to). Now, you tell me that you've never called anyone any of those words in your whole life, and your self-righteous statement will ring true. Otherwise, you're at least as hypocritical as you're calling everyone else.
    For me, and a lot of people there are words that cross the line. The n-word for one, the c-word for another. It is just so violently dismissive.

https://babe.net/2016/07/01/people-offended-word-cunt-psychologist-explains-4332

So I guarantee I’ve been a hypocrite from time to time. But not on this.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    brianlux said:
    Grown American adults name calling.  Proof yet again the America had largely become an immature, dysfunctional nation of over-grown adolescents. 
    exactly.  Samantha Bee was 100% out of line.  You shouldn't and cannot call a woman that on television.  yes I dislike almost everything about this administration but her point could have been made so much better without that line.  it totally obscured the point she was trying to make.  

I also think it's total bullshit people calling out Ivanka for posting a picture on Instagram with her child because of the administration's immigration policies. Really people? come on she was posting a picture of herself and her child. it wasn't a political statement. it was a mom posting a pic. nothing more nothing less.

I have to wonder what is the right tact today.  Should us opposed to Trump and his policies lower ourselves to his level to battle him? I get you want to fight a bully but maybe the tact should be less that he is an asshole and more of why he is an asshole.  I feel we are losing touch with the issues by just name calling him and his administration all the time.  As I said above Samantha Bee could have made a great point without calling Ivanka what she did.  By calling her a name she made her point so much less compelling.  We on the other side need to take a lesson from this.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    HE SAID AUTOMATIC WEAPONS INSTEAD OF USING WHATEVER-IS-THE-CORRECT-TERMINOLOGY, THEREFORE HIS POINT IS MOOT. 

Damn people from nations not being so infested by guns that they know to use the correct terms for them.
    again, the united states is a world wide joke
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

For me, and a lot of people there are words that cross the line. The n-word for one, the c-word for another. It is just so violently dismissive.

https://babe.net/2016/07/01/people-offended-word-cunt-psychologist-explains-4332

I have to disagree. Just because you happen to be offended by one word, it doesn't give  you the moral high ground. Anyone can just as easily not mind the c-word, but be completely offended by someone calling another person the bag that is inserted into a woman's vagina and squeezed to inject a stream of water into the vaginal cavity. Someone else might be much more offended over someone being likened to the hole out of which shit comes. Who are you or anyone to determine which word crosses a line? Especially when it comes to a word that is used with ease in other places?
    The n-word is racist, so totally different.
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

again, the united states is a world wide joke
    Agreed. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

I have to disagree. Just because you happen to be offended by one word, it doesn't give  you the moral high ground. Anyone can just as easily not mind the c-word, but be completely offended by someone calling another person the bag that is inserted into a woman's vagina and squeezed to inject a stream of water into the vaginal cavity. Someone else might be much more offended over someone being likened to the hole out of which shit comes. Who are you or anyone to determine which word crosses a line? Especially when it comes to a word that is used with ease in other places?
    Dude it’s not just me. Society as a whole tends to decide these things. There is a reason Samantha used that specific word and not douchebag. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

Dude it’s not just me. Society as a whole tends to decide these things. There is a reason Samantha used that specific word and not douchebag. 
    But don't you think it's super fucking stupid that society is trying to dictate which profanity (non-racist) is just "too much"? I think that's ridiculous, and I don't see why anyone would want to perpetuate what is a complete societal double-standard by definition. I'm actually surprised you would embrace that mindset actually. Don't you acknowledge the stupidity of the whole thing?
    I'm sure Bee used that specific word because it comes more naturally to her than it might to others. It likely comes as naturally to her as the word bitch or asshole comes to others. Not everyone allows themselves to be ridiculously scandalized by a random profanity that stupid society decided crossed a line. It's just so arbitrary - what a joke.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

What reason is that? Do you think Samantha is a self-loathing female who intended to desecrate the value of the whole gender? Also, PJ_Soul is a dudette I believe. Society as a whole didn't decide definitively on the c-word, based on the fact that around fifteen different people on a Pearl Jam forum can't even agree on whether it should be socially acceptable. The jury is still out on this clearly. And yes, she used that word because whether acceptable or not, Samantha wanted to make it clear that she feels that Ivanka is worthy of words of greater severity than a db. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    exactly.  Samantha Bee was 100% out of line.  You shouldn't and cannot call a woman that on television.  yes I dislike almost everything about this administration but her point could have been made so much better without that line.  it totally obscured the point she was trying to make.  

I also think it's total bullshit people calling out Ivanka for posting a picture on Instagram with her child because of the administration's immigration policies. Really people? come on she was posting a picture of herself and her child. it wasn't a political statement. it was a mom posting a pic. nothing more nothing less.

I have to wonder what is the right tact today.  Should us opposed to Trump and his policies lower ourselves to his level to battle him? I get you want to fight a bully but maybe the tact should be less that he is an asshole and more of why he is an asshole.  I feel we are losing touch with the issues by just name calling him and his administration all the time.  As I said above Samantha Bee could have made a great point without calling Ivanka what she did.  By calling her a name she made her point so much less compelling.  We on the other side need to take a lesson from this.
    "when they go low, we go high" did not work, as much as it pains me to admit. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

But don't you think it's super fucking stupid that society is trying to dictate which profanity (non-racist) is just "too much"? I think that's ridiculous, and I don't see why anyone would want to perpetuate what is a complete societal double-standard by definition. I'm actually surprised you would embrace that mindset actually. Don't you acknowledge the stupidity of the whole thing?
    I'm sure Bee used that specific word because it comes more naturally to her than it might to others. It likely comes as naturally to her as the word bitch or asshole comes to others. Not everyone allows themselves to be ridiculously scandalized by a random profanity that stupid society decided crossed a line. It's just so arbitrary - what a joke.
    you're doing the same thing though. you are just drawing line at a different place. your line is racist profanity others are just drawing it further down the line.  Society has and always will define what is appropriate and inappropriate.  
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    FWIW, the term "feckless c-word" is a common term. I've heard it loads of times, here and there. I think Bee used it 1) because she isn't scandalized by it, 2) it's descriptive and does have weight, as ALL profanities do, which is why people love to swear, and 3) she thought the full term she used fit the best context-wise, thinking as a public speaker, really. I mean, the sentence really was descriptive, and had a rhythm... All these things come into play when someone is rolling off a monologue.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

What reason is that? Do you think Samantha is a self-loathing female who intended to desecrate the value of the whole gender? Also, PJ_Soul is a dudette I believe. Society as a whole didn't decide definitively on the c-word, based on the fact that around fifteen different people on a Pearl Jam forum can't even agree on whether it should be socially acceptable. The jury is still out on this clearly. And yes, she used that word because whether acceptable or not, Samantha wanted to make it clear that she feels that Ivanka is worthy of words of greater severity than a db. 
    No but she wanted to cause a stir and wanted to degrade a dehumanize someone that she disagrees with politically.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Really?

No I don;t think it's stupid.  You say "non-racist" but what about sexist?  It's not that arbitrary, it's based on it's use over time.  And certainly not a joke.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    FWIW, the term "feckless c-word" is a common term. I've heard it loads of times, here and there. I think Bee used it 1) because she isn't scandalized by it, 2) it's descriptive and does have weight, as ALL profanities do, which is why people love to swear, and 3) she thought the full term she used fit the best. And I agree. It was apt.
    Ok but should that terminology be used on a national television program?  Bee can use it all she wants just not sure that is the appropriate venue to use it in.

if the point of the Samantha's dialogue was to make a legitimate argument against the administration's policy she failed miserably in the attempt because of the insult used. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Just an observation, but it seems most on here are also refraining from actually typing the word "cunt" and opting for c-word, but we've all dropped other cuss words without a second thought. Is it because it does carry more weight in our current culture or because we're afraid the mods will become upset, which goes back to my first point? 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Where is George Carlin when we need him? 

• Options
    tbergs said:
    Just an observation, but it seems most on here are also refraining from actually typing the word "cunt" and opting for c-word, but we've all dropped other cuss words without a second thought. Is it because it does carry more weight in our current culture or because we're afraid the mods will become upset, which goes back to my first point? 
    Because like it or not, words take on meanings and become worse than other words....and the c-word is one of those bad words.  Its a dehumanizing way to degrade a woman. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    tbergs said:
    I personally don't use the C-word or type the word for the same reason I don't use or type the N-word.  the word ties to a world that has used that term to dehumanize people.  as for the mods, I have never been afraid of them and I am not saying that as an insult its just i have never had a reason to worry about them
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    tbergs said:
    Because like it or not, words take on meanings and become worse than other words....and the c-word is one of those bad words.  Its a dehumanizing way to degrade a woman. 
    I understand your stance and have noticed how you consistently use it, but I'm more specifically wondering about those who disagree with the intensity of its usage. Personally, I tend to default to the person's comfort level I am interacting with. For instance, when I discuss it with you I would tend to tone it down because it offends you more, but still use it more loosely in general because I don't find it any more offensive than worthless bitch, which I think is actually a worse designation.
    It's a hopeless situation...