Options

Roseanne Barr

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    pjhawks said:
    vaggar99 said:
    what can I say? a walking caricature of the female Trumpist?  Classic short sighted conservative "thinker"?  Or mostly just another umemployed has been?
    I think it’s a case of a double standard.  Honestly how many vile shots have been taken towards this recent presidentancy and where have the reprocussions?  I’m not saying I suport anything she said, but look at the bigger picture, in all honesty if you can.  I doubt that you’ll be able to based on your use of Trumpist.  But seriously pause, step back and look at what’s been said and going on.  It’s bigger than you don’t like the present day president, but what’s going to happen when another president you support and someone says something?  What happens when you are judged and hung by your Twitter post?  Scary times we live in.  Freedom of speech is out the window and politically correct is in full effect.
    it's always great in these type of cases when people show they have no real understanding of what Freedom of Speech really is.
    I don't think people get enough credit on this train of thought. People have been explained far too many times about the difference between constitutional freedom of speech and freedom of speech in terms of what's socially acceptable and the ramifications when those conventions aren't adhered to. 

Freedom of speech has become the justification used when people wish to flaunt their intolerance or selfishness without fear of any repercussions. They get a free pass from the government on flagrant abuse of this right, they just want the world to have to smile while they preach why Arabs are all terrorists or Jews run the world. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    Freedom of Speech also includes being responsible for and accountable for said speech.

Cant take the consequences? Maybe keep your fucking mouth shut.

Just because we have an opinion doesnt mean we should always share said opinion.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Brief article on the NYT about why the network responded so quickly to cancel the show (someone on here complained that they decided too quickly and suggested it was a knee jerk reaction). 

Disney Made Quick Work of ‘Roseanne.’ It’s Not Always So Easy.   https://nyti.ms/2LLnfes
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I would totally watch "Dan."  John Goodman is my favorite actor of all time.
    Walter Sobchak is a legend 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2018
    my2hands said:
    He's not wrong; he's just an asshole.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    my2hands said:
    Now I would watch a show about Walter.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    Honestly, I have to ask, Why does anyone watch that TV shit or give a shit what a low-life like Barr thinks or says?  Seriously, I find that puzzling.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    brianlux said:
    Honestly, I have to ask, Why does anyone watch that TV shit or give a shit what a low-life like Barr thinks or says?  Seriously, I find that puzzling.
    Bellwether, Brian. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    brianlux said:
    Wow.  Just fucking wow.  How did people like Trump and Rosanne Barr become the biggest thing in the news any more?  Not all that long ago in our history,  this shit would at least have been laughed at, ignored by most, or scorned by quite a few .  What in the holy fuck has this world turned to? 

And the called us freaks?

John:  "Ah bullshit..."
    Pete:  "Yer fuckin' kiddin' me?"
    Roger:  "Huh?"
    Keith:  "Ah piss, just me a beer, would ya?"

Well, to be fair, this isn't new. Roseanne was all over the news in the 90s too - the anthem was a massive story if memory serves. It was everywhere. Like front page news in some places.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Wow.  Just fucking wow.  How did people like Trump and Rosanne Barr become the biggest thing in the news any more?  Not all that long ago in our history,  this shit would at least have been laughed at, ignored by most, or scorned by quite a few .  What in the holy fuck has this world turned to? 

Well, to be fair, this isn't new. Roseanne was all over the news in the 90s too - the anthem was a massive story if memory serves. It was everywhere. Like front page news in some places.
    What I mean is, pre-90's or even pre-80's.  When you go back further than those decades, news was a much more newsworthy format.  As the years and decades go by, "news" becomes more and more like those stupid "magazines" at the check out counter with headlines like, "Adam Sandler Found to be Half Human/ Half Martian". or "Madonna's Secret: Baby born with Three Heads". 

I didn't follow the Barr thing back in the 90's- something to do with her spitting at a ball game, right?  But this is what is called news today?  Strange!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

What I mean is, pre-90's or even pre-80's.  When you go back further than those decades, news was a much more newsworthy format.  As the years and decades go by, "news" becomes more and more like those stupid "magazines" at the check out counter with headlines like, "Adam Sandler Found to be Half Human/ Half Martian". or "Madonna's Secret: Baby born with Three Heads". 

I didn't follow the Barr thing back in the 90's- something to do with her spitting at a ball game, right?  But this is what is called news today?  Strange!
    it's because of social media that news no longer comes from only videotaped or photographed incidents or witnesses. it comes from all corners of the globe now, more often than not, someone saying something for the world to see. everyone has a camera. everyone has a social media account where they say something they later regret. but there's always someone there lurking just waiting to take a screenshot. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Roseanne & Goodman are responsible for the obesity crisis that exist in the country lol in her 1st Roseanne show she was huge so was he they made it cool to be slobs ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

it's because of social media that news no longer comes from only videotaped or photographed incidents or witnesses. it comes from all corners of the globe now, more often than not, someone saying something for the world to see. everyone has a camera. everyone has a social media account where they say something they later regret. but there's always someone there lurking just waiting to take a screenshot. 
    This is all true but I think it has more to do with what people today accept as "news".  Back in the 50's, Jackie Gleason portrayed that loud and obnoxious character, Ralph Kramden.  But Gleason was seen as an actor and very few people cared what he had to say off-screen.  Now, today, you have this situation where someone like Barr (who is also loud and obnoxious, both on screen and in real life) and people actually find what she says off-camera to be news worthy?  That's really weird.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I would not have been surprised if Trump would have weighed in on this decision with veiled threats to try to get ABC to reverse the decision.  That would have been no worse than his role in what's going on with the Nationalist Football League.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Roseanne & Goodman are responsible for the obesity crisis that exist in the country lol in her 1st Roseanne show she was huge so was he they made it cool to be slobs ...
    I blame America's obesity crisis on ranch dressing.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    Should Samantha Bee get fired next?

White House Condemns ‘Vile and Vicious’ Samantha Bee, Calls on Time Warner, TBS to Act

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders denounced Samantha Bee on Thursday after the comedian called first daughter Ivanka Trump a “feckless c–t.” Sanders also called on Bee’s bosses at Time Warner and TBS to take action.

“The language used by Samantha Bee last night is vile and vicious. The collective silence by the left and its media allies is appalling,” Sanders told TheWrap.

“Her disgusting comments and show are not fit for broadcast, and executives at Time Warner and TBS must demonstrate that such explicit profanity about female members of this administration will not be condoned on its network.”

Reps for both TBS and Time Warner did not immediately respond to request for comment from TheWrap.

Bee has faced mounting criticism for the jab, which was made as part of the opening monologue for her show “Full Frontal” on Wednesday night. The line was used as part of a broader criticism of the first daughter for her failure to stop her father’s immigration policies.

“Let me just say, one mother to another, do something about your dad’s immigration practices you feckless c–t!” said Bee. “He listens to you. Put on something tight and low cut and tell your father to f–king stop it. Tell him it was an Obama thing and see how it goes.”

The remarks from Bee come just days after Roseanne Barr’s program on ABC was cancelled by the network over a racially charged joke in which Barr said former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett had been the child of apes and the Muslim Brotherhood. Barr’s show was axed despite her decision to delete the tweet and offer a swift apology.

TBS has yet to announce what action, if any, will be taken to address Bee’s comments about the first daughter.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I blame America's obesity crisis on ranch dressing.
    "Mmm. It does go well with the chicken."

"Delicious again, Peter." 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    mcgruff10 said:

White House Condemns ‘Vile and Vicious’ Samantha Bee, Calls on Time Warner, TBS to Act

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders denounced Samantha Bee on Thursday after the comedian called first daughter Ivanka Trump a “feckless c–t.” Sanders also called on Bee’s bosses at Time Warner and TBS to take action.

“The language used by Samantha Bee last night is vile and vicious. The collective silence by the left and its media allies is appalling,” Sanders told TheWrap.

“Her disgusting comments and show are not fit for broadcast, and executives at Time Warner and TBS must demonstrate that such explicit profanity about female members of this administration will not be condoned on its network.”

Reps for both TBS and Time Warner did not immediately respond to request for comment from TheWrap.

Bee has faced mounting criticism for the jab, which was made as part of the opening monologue for her show “Full Frontal” on Wednesday night. The line was used as part of a broader criticism of the first daughter for her failure to stop her father’s immigration policies.

“Let me just say, one mother to another, do something about your dad’s immigration practices you feckless c–t!” said Bee. “He listens to you. Put on something tight and low cut and tell your father to f–king stop it. Tell him it was an Obama thing and see how it goes.”

The remarks from Bee come just days after Roseanne Barr’s program on ABC was cancelled by the network over a racially charged joke in which Barr said former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett had been the child of apes and the Muslim Brotherhood. Barr’s show was axed despite her decision to delete the tweet and offer a swift apology.

TBS has yet to announce what action, if any, will be taken to address Bee’s comments about the first daughter.

Apples and Oranges but I would imagine they would reprimand her in some way.

I also think 'First Daughter' is misleading.  It paints a picture of a young girl who is an innocent bystander.  For sure that would make this much, much, worse.
    Ivanka Trump was a public figure long before Daddy Warbucks was voted into office. 

Apples and Oranges.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

no. had roseanne barr used that language, I wouldn't say she should have been cancelled either. racism is much worse than the c word. 

the office of the president should never, ever, call for any private entity to do anything, but here we are again, them trying to dictate private corporations and how they should act. 

that's up to the public and the private entity, not the office of POTUS. it's a disgusting abuse of power. 

why didn't sara sanders come to the defense of Valerie Jarrett, I wonder. 

no, I actually fucking don't. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    When will the White House call for the Congress and Senate to act on the garbage spewing racist in the oval office. They're all a bunch of hypocritical idiots. It's so sickening and disgusting that Sanders can even keep a straight face while the shit pours out of her mouth.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    When will the White House call for the Congress and Senate to act on the garbage spewing racist in the oval office. They're all a bunch of hypocritical idiots. It's so sickening and disgusting that Sanders can even keep a straight face while the shit pours out of her mouth.
    she'll get hers. or maybe she's already a miserable piss bucket and gets hers on a daily having to look herself in the mirror. she's a disgusting vile pig of a human. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    tbergs said:
    And out of the side of her mouth, no less.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    mcgruff10 said:

Here we go, the White House's not so casual attempt at comparing a racist statement to derogatory name calling. Although in fairness, Sexy Rexxy was eventually fired, probably partly for calling a certain person a "fucking moron". 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    mcgruff10 said:

no. had roseanne barr used that language, I wouldn't say she should have been cancelled either. racism is much worse than the c word. 

the office of the president should never, ever, call for any private entity to do anything, but here we are again, them trying to dictate private corporations and how they should act. 

that's up to the public and the private entity, not the office of POTUS. it's a disgusting abuse of power. 

The c-word is pretty bad.....and while woman on woman hit here, it's screams of sexism.  Ignoring all the political bs surrounding this, Rosanne deserved to be cancelled for the straight-up racist tweet, and anyone calling someone the C-word likely has something coming to them too.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    she'll get hers. or maybe she's already a miserable piss bucket and gets hers on a daily having to look herself in the mirror. she's a disgusting vile pig of a human. 
    If for any reason I'm being asked tough questions by the media....she may just be my #1 pick to defend me though.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Wow, nice.  Who's responsible for the "being an jerk on the internet" crisis?  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    If for any reason I'm being asked tough questions by the media....she may just be my #1 pick to defend me though.
    a good portion of her answers are nothing but "the president has been very clear on his position on that" and "we're not going to get into the specifics of that at this time". all she's good it is not looking flustered and sweaty like Spicer did. he was horrible at his job. she's better than he was, which isn't great. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

The c-word is pretty bad.....and while woman on woman hit here, it's screams of sexism.  Ignoring all the political bs surrounding this, Rosanne deserved to be cancelled for the straight-up racist tweet, and anyone calling someone the C-word likely has something coming to them too.  
    I don't think it screams of sexism at all. especiall that it's woman to woman. had this been Stephen Colbert saying it, I'd agree that it might have crossed a line using that word. 

I don't find the word sexist, I find it repulsive. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergs said:
    a good portion of her answers are nothing but "the president has been very clear on his position on that" and "we're not going to get into the specifics of that at this time". all she's good it is not looking flustered and sweaty like Spicer did. he was horrible at his job. she's better than he was, which isn't great. 
    She seems mean....and if I was being attacked I'd want her meanness on my side ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    She seems mean....and if I was being attacked I'd want her meanness on my side ;)
    I find her repulsive and cowardly. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com