Options

Syria

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    polaris_x said:
    This is a very interesting discussion in my opinion. I certainly see Polaris’s point in the sameness game plan each time and people always buy it. My initial reaction to all of this was that Assad gased people and the missiles are justified.  But I’m trying to look around a bit more.  I will say it’s a huge freakin leap to declare the US/UK/France as evil empires and cast Assad as a humanitarian man of the people and Russia and Iran as protectors of all that is right. 

As usual, it’s probably somewhere in the middle. 
    * the two previous alleged chemical attacks were debunked
    * the OPCW is about to do its investigation in Dhouma
    *  if there is so much actual evidence of Assad atrocities ... gaining Congressional approval and UN Security council approval should be easy
    *  these strikes are illegal on all fronts ... goes against UN charter

definitely please do look around ... i've posted a bunch of stuff and I welcome you to critically think about all of it ... question, as you have, everything ... if you do it with an open mind ... then that's all I could hope for ...
    Russia used their veto 12 times in regards to Syria? I mean, being one of the only “no” votes and blocking so has to be part of the problem.
    you mean like how the US vetoes everything related to Israel?

in any case - you have the US/UK and France ... known war mongers ... then you have China ... what is China's position on syria? ... here it is ...

http://bw.china-embassy.org/eng/xwdt/t1076201.htm

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:
    This is a very interesting discussion in my opinion. I certainly see Polaris’s point in the sameness game plan each time and people always buy it. My initial reaction to all of this was that Assad gased people and the missiles are justified.  But I’m trying to look around a bit more.  I will say it’s a huge freakin leap to declare the US/UK/France as evil empires and cast Assad as a humanitarian man of the people and Russia and Iran as protectors of all that is right. 

*  if there is so much actual evidence of Assad atrocities ... gaining Congressional approval and UN Security council approval should be easy

definitely please do look around ... i've posted a bunch of stuff and I welcome you to critically think about all of it ... question, as you have, everything ... if you do it with an open mind ... then that's all I could hope for ...
    Russia used their veto 12 times in regards to Syria? I mean, being one of the only “no” votes and blocking so has to be part of the problem.

in any case - you have the US/UK and France ... known war mongers ... then you have China ... what is China's position on syria? ... here it is ...

Yes just like that. So why is it bad for the US and ok for Russia?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Fuck the U.S government. Fuck the French government, FUCK THE BRITISH government hardest of all.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    brianlux said:
    OK, so while you're thinking about or ignoring my other question (no problem there) what about this:  Why is it any of our business to be involved in Syria in the first place?  If you say, "Because this faction did such and such and we don't agree with that so we are going to bomb the shit out of someone", then other countries will say, "Yeah, well we don't agree so we're going to start bombing the shit out of you" and pretty soon everybody is bombing the shit out of everybody and in 2018 THIS IS NOT A FUCKING GOOD IDEA!
    Syria is only on the US radar because of an oil pipline 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Fuck the U.S government. Fuck the French government, FUCK THE BRITISH government hardest of all.

You must be Irish lol. Why all the hate?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:

well ... it's not as simple as no one should veto because we know that each member state has their own interests ... it's why I mentioned china ... china would never approve of a military strike in Syria ... did you read the chinese statement? ... what part of it is potentially unreasonable to you?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    IMO:
    World war 2: justified
    Korea: justified
    Cuban Missile Crisis: justified
    Vietnam: not justified 
    Cambodia/Laos: I see why they did it so on the fence
    Grenada: justified
    Nicaragua: justified
    Kuwait/Iraq 91: justified
    Rwanda: justified but went in too late
    Serbia/Bosnia: justified
    Afghanistan: justified
    Iraq: not justified
    ISIS: justified based on a not justified war
    Syria: too soon to tell

Rwanda... never went at all.

Clinton made an appearance after things had settled down and apologized for western indifference, but he did so as Air Force One idled on the runway- which he hopped in immediately after speaking and flew home.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    IMO:

Rwanda... never went at all.

Clinton made an appearance after things had settled down and apologized for western indifference, but he did so as Air Force One idled on the runway- which he hopped in immediately after speaking and flew home.
    I didn’t know that. For some reason I thought a few hundred troops were sent in.  
  • Options
    I guess Trump's airstrike were constitutional after all:
    "The president has asserted authority under Article II of the Constitution for these strikes, but any sustained military action in Syria would require congressional authorization," Senator Melendez (D) said. "I expect the Trump administration to promptly brief Congress on these strikes, their plan for Syria, including countering Russian and Iranian support for the regime, and any future use of military force."
    http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/04/how_njs_senators_reacted_to_trumps_air_strikes_in.html

I guess if it is one and done it is cool but anything else needs to be authorized by congress.
  • Options
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:

well ... it's not as simple as no one should veto because we know that each member state has their own interests ... it's why I mentioned china ... china would never approve of a military strike in Syria ... did you read the chinese statement? ... what part of it is potentially unreasonable to you?
    I’m not sure China is my moral compass.  I read it. I’m still not sure what I think, but I sure as shit don’t think China or Russia is going to be 100% honest and transparent and take them at face value, ever.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:

I’m not sure China is my moral compass.  I read it. I’m still not sure what I think, but I sure as shit don’t think China or Russia is going to be 100% honest and transparent and take them at face value, ever.
    Add North Korea to that sentence.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    mcgruff10 said:
    IMO:
    Sorry McG but I only agree with maybe 8% of this.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    polaris_x said:
    remember ... everyone ...

people who would normally be anti-war would not support intervening against a country unless it is believed that the country is evil and/or the leader is satan reborn ... the so called humanitarian cause for war ...
    I'm not normally anti-war.  I'm always anti-war.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    IMO:
    say what?  so you agreed with me on only two of these?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    My point being, presidents do what they want and then the opposite party ridicules and complains. A few years later, a different political party does the same type of complaining when the same issue occur. Double standard. You can’t be a Democrat and bitch and moan about trump s Syrian strikes but support Obama’s just a few years before. Same can be said of Republicans. 
    “Our number one priority is to see this president fail.”
    I just saw this. A common phrase used by both democrat and republican.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    IMO:
    No McG, sorry, only 7/8.  But then, I suck at math so... :lol:

No, seriously, only WWII only only partially.  The others?  No, can't say as I agree.  We stick our nose where it doesn't belong.  Only reason MAAAAYBE for war is if we are attacked and that only happened sort of in Hawaii (never would have if we hadn't armed HI).

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    IMO:

No, seriously, only WWII only only partially.  The others?  No, can't say as I agree.  We stick our nose where it doesn't belong.  Only reason MAAAAYBE for war is if we are attacked and that only happened sort of in Hawaii (never would have if we hadn't armed HI).
    so Afghanistan 01 was ok?
    and going with pearl harbor...remember the japanese invaded china first which resulted in the u.s. cutting japan's oil supply.  they needed oil in the dutch east indies so they thought they could take america out by a sneak attack.  however japan was ignored during the treaty of versailles so we could actually put blame on the english and french.  
  • Options
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:

so the countries we know have lied are trustworthy but china and russia aren't ... at the end of the day - what is wrong or irrational with what they posted ... what if anything they wrote is unreasonable ...

isn't that what justice is founded on? ... get the evidence ... get the facts ... then decide? ... avoid war at all costs?
  • Options
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,580
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    My point being, presidents do what they want and then the opposite party ridicules and complains. A few years later, a different political party does the same type of complaining when the same issue occur. Double standard. You can’t be a Democrat and bitch and moan about trump s Syrian strikes but support Obama’s just a few years before. Same can be said of Republicans. 
    Please quote me the democrat senate majority leader who said this mere hours after an election. Please quote me any elected dem member of the house or senate who may have said it. Please quote me any elected dem in the history of the republic who said it.

Both sides are not the same, unless you believe in false equivalencies.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    IMO:

No, seriously, only WWII only only partially.  The others?  No, can't say as I agree.  We stick our nose where it doesn't belong.  Only reason MAAAAYBE for war is if we are attacked and that onliy happened sort of in Hawaii (never would have if we hadn't armed HI).

Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    IMO:

so Afghanistan 01 was ok?
    and going with pearl harbor...remember the japanese invaded china first which resulted in the u.s. cutting japan's oil supply.  they needed oil in the dutch east indies so they thought they could take america out by a sneak attack.  however japan was ignored during the treaty of versailles so we could actually put blame on the english and french.  
    WWII is was as clear cut as we're taught in school.  Yeah, China really got screwed (and eaten) by the Japanese.  Maybe if we had given more supply support, I don't know.  The Japanese were under some weird emperor worship spells.  The were a screwed up people then.  But the Japanese culture is also marvelous in ways.  I dig the Japanese of today and in other periods of their history too. 

Afghanistan?  My feeling is that's another resource war.  I never saw any real purpose for our being there.

• Options
    OK, so Syria.  Do we even really understand what's going on there?  It reminds me of the Angolan Civil war- a complete clusterfuck where you had all these factions ebbing, flowing, weaving in and out.  A ridiculous mess.  Same with Syria.  Getting involved in Syria is like stepping into the ring with ten rabid dogs.  I say, give the refuges a hand but stay the hell out of the pit.  It's pointless to get involved that way.

• Options
    It also might be worth noting that it is very unlikely for a war-time president to be impeached.

Hmmmmmmm...

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,869
    edited April 2018
    We need to stay out of all these countries until we can definitely help the situation or else not at all
    . Its all fuckin annoying now.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    No not one Democrat stepped up and said that about this current president at least not a high ranking Democrat  , we can all remember clears as if it was yesterday Turtle face McConnell saying it the next day after Obama won election ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:

so the countries we know have lied are trustworthy but china and russia aren't ... at the end of the day - what is wrong or irrational with what they posted ... what if anything they wrote is unreasonable ...

isn't that what justice is founded on? ... get the evidence ... get the facts ... then decide? ... avoid war at all costs?
    I’m not saying that. And if you don’t think we know russia and China have lied about things then I’m not sure what to say. My point is it’s pretty weird to me to go railing on how awful the us/uk/France are and pretending russia is a prom queen.

i think you are going way to far in your willingness to believe some of those sources...similar to what you are saying about others and their media.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

We need to stay out of all these countries until we can definitely help the situation or else not at all
    . Its all fuckin annoying now.
    I kinda feel like it had to be an all or none situation. If getting involved we should have a plan to take in refugees etc 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    edited April 2018
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    IMO:

Wow, so if Japan didn’t bomb Pearl Harbor, you’d be okay letting Hitler kill every Jew, gypsy and gay? And that’s just to start, he would have moved on to other ethnicities from there, but as long as America never made the list there’d be no reason for us to stop him? Is that what you’re saying?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
This discussion has been closed.