Options

CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    The song from Saturday is the exact same as the song from last night. There is zero difference. If anything it’s bitrate thing. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    I pray this is not indicative of the new album.  Sounds like a pop band.  
    I don't know what you consider pop, but this is far from it.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    verceman said:
    Art is subjective but I love that this song would have seemed out of place on Backspacer or Lightning Bolt.  Means the band is still pushing it and challenging themselves and their fans.  

I agree with the commenters that Cant Deny Me is reminiscent of The Clash with channeling of Chris Cornell.

True. 

Something raw and garage-y would be interesting.
    It's been giving me a very Era Vulgeris vibe. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    Man, after the first listen on Saturday, I didn't really care for it.  After about the third listen, I'm really digging it. 

There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    verceman said:
    Art is subjective but I love that this song would have seemed out of place on Backspacer or Lightning Bolt.  Means the band is still pushing it and challenging themselves and their fans.  

I agree with the commenters that Cant Deny Me is reminiscent of The Clash with channeling of Chris Cornell.

True. 

Ooh, I'd like that. Turnin on the Screw style in there a bit.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    tbergs said:
    verceman said:

True. 

Ooh, I'd like that. Turnin on the Screw style in there a bit.
    Yeah. The tempo and the grinding guitar. Love it!
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    This single is not the holiday single.    Its an early download for 10C members. 
    This single WILL be on the new album.  
    The Holiday Single is still forthcoming.  
    The new album is still forthcoming. 

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,917
    NewJPage said:
    I can't believe this is really going to be on the new album. It sounds like something they could have written in a half hour. I'm just bummed they can't seem to reach down deep and at least try to approach the level of creativity they once had. But hey that's just my opinion. I'll still buy the new album and enjoy the shows but my level of excitement on new material is at an all time low.
    Most the old stuff was written really quickly. It's not about time spent on it. It's about whether it' good or not

Black Sabbath's Paranoid was written in minutes and in haste because they felt the album's run-time was too short.  It became one of their greatest hits and album name.  I think when the creativity strikes, it's there and amount of time doesn't matter.  This PJ song musically sounds to me a lot like Big Wave but slowed down.  Similar in the way Severed Hand sounds like Porch.  I like this song.  Surprised at all the negativity.  A lot of negativity.  People keep coming to the same restaurant to keep complaining about the food.  One good thing about the current administration is they inspired the band to make another album.  I'm guessing not the happiness of the last two.  Hoping there is no spoken-word Bu$hleaguer type of stuff.  I'm sure they'll show a lot of depth as they have matured.  Looking forward to the release.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Okay... now they're saying it will be on the new album..... so their 2017 annual single is going to be their first single from the new album? Hmm.

Well.... I hope Eddie's voice sounds better on the rest of the songs.
    The non-10C version is much more put together, polished, etc. 
    Listening now..... :pensive: Hmm. Sounds the same to me... For a sec I thought maybe you were right, but I'm pretty sure that's my imagination driven by the power of your suggestion. :lol: Kay, I really want to like new music from them... and I will say now that I'm getting used to the song, and despite the strain in EV's voice and the cracking, which I will probably never be able to ignore ... the song is NOT making me think the album is going to be bad (for me). I think this song at the very least makes me think there is a 50/50 chance of it actually being good, at worst. And while that might seem negative to some people, it's actually not, given my feelings about their last two albums. I mean, this song is better than anything on Backspacer, and still better than most songs on LB. So that's something for sure. And yes, I admit that it does get better after a bunch of listens. I personally don't think any song should require that much work for it to be tolerable, at least not for me. That is not usually how I become attached to music.
    (anyway, I am aware that there are a LOT of fans who don't like this kind of discussion about anything PJ does - they prefer everyone to just love everything. But I think these kinds of considerations are exactly what a forum about a band is supposed to talk about, so I'm hoping folks can take this agonizing critical process among some fans for what it is: a reflection of the fact that we care about what this band does).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    Vedd Hedd said:
    This single is not the holiday single.    Its an early download for 10C members. 

Can you verify this? If true, they seemed to go out of their way to make us think it is the 2017 single, by labeling it "2017 ANNUAL SINGLE" in the downloads. Why would we think it is anything but the annual single was a 2-day head start on the first single for the album?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    mace1229 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Can you verify this? If true, they seemed to go out of their way to make us think it is the 2017 single, by labeling it "2017 ANNUAL SINGLE" in the downloads. Why would we think it is anything but the annual single was a 2-day head start on the first single for the album?
    It's both the first side of the annual single and the first single from the album.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    mace1229 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Exactly. And it’s not a “rough mix,” it just sounds that way because it’s a 160 kbps mp3. (And I would presume the low quality is so it doesn’t deter anyone from paying for the higher quality version released today).
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    So I wonder how much the actual album single will cost, as opposed to the annual single? :pensive: 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    mace1229 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

It's both the first side of the annual single and the first single from the album.
    That's what makes sense to me, so I don't know why I've seen several say it is not the annual single, when it was clearly as such when I downloaded it.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    edited March 2018
    mace1229 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

to be clear, the email said "2017 Single". nothing about "annual" or "holiday" or anything of the like. admittedly, that is a weird way of announcing it. they had to know it was going to make us think it was the annual single. If it wasn't, and this is from the new album, both released in 2018, why would it be called the 2017 single?

here is the full text:

2017 SINGLE

"Can't Deny Me"

Hear the new Pearl Jam song first!

Enjoy!
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Well that's the thing. If it's not the annual single they wouldn't have called it the 2017 single. I think that part undeniably means that it is indeed the annual single for 2017 (side A, presumably). Pretty weird. 
  • Options
    And it is clearly called the "annual single" in the downloads.
  • Options
    We're all so fucking crazy :lol:! We're each sitting around trying to interpret what word or missing words means as it relates to this song and it's official status. Anyone reach out to @Sea for clarification yet? You can't deny us! :rock_on:
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    The 2016 single was recorded in 2017 and the 2017 single has now been recorded in 2018. Might be a new pattern emerging.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    tbergs said:
    We're all so fucking crazy :lol:! We're each sitting around trying to interpret what word or missing words means as it relates to this song and it's official status. Anyone reach out to @Sea for clarification yet? You can't deny us! :rock_on:
    Doesn't everyone just assume that 10C won't ever clarify things like this for us? ... Hey, maybe it was another typo! :lol:;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    Doesn't every just assume that 10C won't ever clarify things like this for us? ... Hey, maybe it was another typo! :lol:;)
    Haha! Yes, typo gate 2.0. Maybe the typewriter is out of control. Incompetence abound these days at all levels. That's ok, Betsy D. is fixing education....
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    I'm thinking the reason that says annual single in the downloads is because that is probably the default setting for downloading music
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
    This song has tossed the fans salad...
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    kb272930kb272930 Posts: 62

I don't know kind of gets better after time but still sounds like Ed's on the bowl in the beginning , and the changes sound forced like they are trying too hard . ah , what do I know , they are the rock stars and I work in an office . 

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Maybe its all just one big typo. LOL. If this is the annual single then it seems a bit of a rip off. Unless its sent out in the next couple of months then the new album could be out first. Still waiting here on the 2016 single.  I used to really enjoy the annual single but I dont think I would care if they stopped it. 
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,686
    From a marketing standpoint, this single is genius. It’s got people talking and interested. It’s edgy and different. I think they know what their doing.  After 28 years, sometimes you gotta poke the bears to see if their still hungry.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    Maybe its all just one big typo. LOL. If this is the annual single then it seems a bit of a rip off. Unless its sent out in the next couple of months then the new album could be out first. Still waiting here on the 2016 single.  I used to really enjoy the annual single but I dont think I would care if they stopped it. 
    Yeah, I actually think they should cancel that "program" TBH. They just don't seem to care about it at all and are kind of just forcing it, and without them caring, it's really not all that fun IMHO..... But then they couldn't charge $40 - $50 for analog memberships. Unless they came up with something else.... and something else might just convince me to return to the analog membership. I sure haven't missed it for the past 2 years.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    Yeah, I actually think they should cancel that "program" TBH. They just don't seem to care about it at all and are kind of just forcing it, and without them caring, it's really not all that fun IMHO..... But then they couldn't charge $40 - $50 for analog memberships. Unless they came up with something else.... and something else might just convince me to return to the analog membership. I sure haven't missed it for the past 2 years.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Double post
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,074
    From a marketing standpoint, this single is genius. It’s got people talking and interested. It’s edgy and different. I think they know what their doing.  After 28 years, sometimes you gotta poke the bears to see if their still hungry.
    Well said!