Options

CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mace1229 said:
    And it is clearly called the "annual single" in the downloads.
    oh really, didn't notice that. weird. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    From a marketing standpoint, this single is genius. It’s got people talking and interested. It’s edgy and different. I think they know what their doing.  After 28 years, sometimes you gotta poke the bears to see if their still hungry.
    Yeah, I kinda like that this was surprising and not business as usual.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,044
    FR181798 said:
    Maybe its all just one big typo. LOL. If this is the annual single then it seems a bit of a rip off. Unless its sent out in the next couple of months then the new album could be out first. Still waiting here on the 2016 single.  I used to really enjoy the annual single but I dont think I would care if they stopped it. 
    I’m pretty sure this is just the first single from the new album. Not the annual single. 

I would definitely care if they stopped the annual single. I love vinyl and look forward to the single every year. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    FR181798 said:
    Maybe its all just one big typo. LOL. If this is the annual single then it seems a bit of a rip off. Unless its sent out in the next couple of months then the new album could be out first. Still waiting here on the 2016 single.  I used to really enjoy the annual single but I dont think I would care if they stopped it. 
    I’m pretty sure this is just the first single from the new album. Not the annual single. 

I would definitely care if they stopped the annual single. I love vinyl and look forward to the single every year. 
    But they called it the 2017 annual single..... You think that was somehow a "mistake"?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:

But they called it the 2017 annual single..... You think that was somehow a "mistake"?
    anything is possible here. our 2016 annual single is called the 2017 annual single. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:

My email just says “2017 single hear the new PJ first”

“Exclusive early download”
    Doesnt seem like it’s the “annual” single to me. But I could easily be wrong. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:

again, it was mentioned that in the download section of the website that it was called the annual single. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:

anything is possible here. our 2016 annual single is called the 2017 annual single. 
    True, but they specifically said that was a "typo".
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:

did they come right out and say that before the place exploded? or was it after 345 pages of "which year is this?!"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:

did they come right out and say that before the place exploded? or was it after 345 pages of "which year is this?!"
    No, they said it after everyone was completely confused, lol. But they did say it. Plus, only one of the items said 2017 (was it the single or the Deep mag?). The other item said 2016.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:

again, it was mentioned that in the download section of the website that it was called the annual single. 
    Oh my bad!  I missed that.  I guess it is the annual single then.  Hopefully has an unreleased B Side then.  And maybe is different than the album version?  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    edited March 2018
    While several may not like the song or the lyrics, from a marketing standpoint, this is by far one of their easiest song messages for the majority of the fan base to fall in line behind and also reach non-fans. With all of Ed's high profile appearances, he's also more recognizable to people than ever. They can easily market the hell out of this now and in the future if you relate it more generally to the wealthy elite. It's obviously inspired by our current government leadership, but that doesn't mean it's only about that.

This will split a lot of fans at the live shows, but this message will be big at their concerts; shirts, stickers, fan signs. I think they wanted a song that made a statement about what they see happening and something people could get behind. The phrase "Can't Deny Me" can be applied to so many things; sexual assault victims speaking out, gun violence protests, women's rights, climate change, etc. I think it's actually pretty genius.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    “Ed, what are you protesting against?”

”What ya got?”

Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    CANT WAIOT TO SEE HOW WILL SOUND LIVE TONIGHT!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,919
    tbergs said:
    We're all so fucking crazy :lol:! We're each sitting around trying to interpret what word or missing words means as it relates to this song and it's official status. Anyone reach out to @Sea for clarification yet? You can't deny us! :rock_on:

It is the 2017 Ten Club Single.

:rock_on:
  • Options
    Sea said:
    tbergs said:
    We're all so fucking crazy :lol:! We're each sitting around trying to interpret what word or missing words means as it relates to this song and it's official status. Anyone reach out to @Sea for clarification yet? You can't deny us! :rock_on:

ten club single AND first single from the new album?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

Sea said:
    tbergs said:

Thank you.

• Options
    Sea said:
    tbergs said:

Thanks for clarifying!  Awesome.  Hope the b side is great as well!
  • Options
    'Darkness, darkness, darkness and light...'

'Blackout weaves its way through the city...'

Optimism and strength and defiance now have the power....

(I am assuming that that is an accurate read of the Can't Deny Me lyric)
    I would've fallen from the sky, till you...
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Sea said:
    tbergs said:

It is really nice to get some real clarification, thank you (not that this wasn't clear as day already since you specifically stated it in your announcements, but still, it's nice to get rid of any confusion).
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Just remember though 10c loves to use the "forthcoming" term and its loose interpretation. The band could have another 9 songs to write and record. :)
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,796
    FR181798 said:
    Just remember though 10c loves to use the "forthcoming" term and its loose interpretation. The band could have another 9 songs to write and record. :)
    Beck released a single about two years before it was put on the album
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    We know this was recorded last month and we know Matt at least was working on another song. So I'm betting they have made significant progress.

• Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    What an incredibly lazy way to fulfill paid member benefits that had been neglected. “Here’s a shit quality, 160 kbps mp3 of a song the whole world will have access to in full quality in 3 days. We’ve fulfilled our 2017 member obligation.” LOL
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    What an incredibly lazy way to fulfill paid member benefits that had been neglected. “Here’s a shit quality, 160 kbps mp3 of a song the whole world will have access to in full quality in 3 days. We’ve fulfilled our 2017 member obligation.” LOL
    we still get it on vinyl, and a b-side, presumably. it is odd, though, for digital members, to pay that much for a song that is supposed to be exclusive to the club and can buy it on itunes for a buck. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,429
    I stand corrected.  Apparently, you CAN deny me. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    we still get it on vinyl, and a b-side, presumably. it is odd, though, for digital members, to pay that much for a song that is supposed to be exclusive to the club and can buy it on itunes for a buck. 
    That’s just it man. There are a lot of us that are digital members. I can listen to it at 2x the quality today on Spotify. We basically didn’t get that 2017 benefit (a single exclusive to 10c members.)
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    Anybody know what the b-side is going to be?

No?

Then maybe we should pump the brakes on the disappointment and the claims that we missed out on a benefit.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    Anybody know what the b-side is going to be?

No?

Then maybe we should pump the brakes on the disappointment and the claims that we missed out on a benefit.
    no, but you have to admit, they've never given us an annual single that was the first single off the next album. that's not exclusive to club members anymore. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD