Options

CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    FR181798 said:
    Just remember though 10c loves to use the "forthcoming" term and its loose interpretation. The band could have another 9 songs to write and record. :)
    True. Although they seem to all be in Seattle this winter quite a bit, like in December and January - random photos and posts here and there and Eddie's schedule all kind of seemed to suggest that they were working on something more together. But obviously it's all conjecture.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,850

What an incredibly lazy way to fulfill paid member benefits that had been neglected. “Here’s a shit quality, 160 kbps mp3 of a song the whole world will have access to in full quality in 3 days. We’ve fulfilled our 2017 member obligation.” LOL
    we still get it on vinyl, and a b-side, presumably. it is odd, though, for digital members, to pay that much for a song that is supposed to be exclusive to the club and can buy it on itunes for a buck. 
    That’s just it man. There are a lot of us that are digital members. I can listen to it at 2x the quality today on Spotify. We basically didn’t get that 2017 benefit (a single exclusive to 10c members.)
    I get what you're saying, but it seems like a petty thing to be upset about. The bigger benefit to my membership is that I was able to secure tickets to the Fenway shows with zero stress of dealing with an online sale. That alone is worth my $20 (and another $20 to get the t-shirt, as I'm analog). The singles are fun to get, but I tend to listen to them once or twice and shelf them.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    MP59559 said:

What an incredibly lazy way to fulfill paid member benefits that had been neglected. “Here’s a shit quality, 160 kbps mp3 of a song the whole world will have access to in full quality in 3 days. We’ve fulfilled our 2017 member obligation.” LOL
    we still get it on vinyl, and a b-side, presumably. it is odd, though, for digital members, to pay that much for a song that is supposed to be exclusive to the club and can buy it on itunes for a buck. 
    That’s just it man. There are a lot of us that are digital members. I can listen to it at 2x the quality today on Spotify. We basically didn’t get that 2017 benefit (a single exclusive to 10c members.)
    I get what you're saying, but it seems like a petty thing to be upset about. The bigger benefit to my membership is that I was able to secure tickets to the Fenway shows with zero stress of dealing with an online sale. That alone is worth my $20 (and another $20 to get the t-shirt, as I'm analog). The singles are fun to get, but I tend to listen to them once or twice and shelf them.
    That’s fantastic that you’re OK with it. Doesn’t mean everyone feels the same way. It’s not a huge deal, and yes, tickets are the only reason I’m a member. But I don’t think it’s out of line to point out that this is still a benefit we pay for, and that it has always been an exclusive song for us. I'm guessing when they decided to kill two birds with one stone they were counting on a lot of members to brush it off like you did.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,453
    Let's relax for a moment.   We pay 40 bucks a year.  For a music band's fan club.  This is not a Country Club Membership.  This isn't season tickets to a sporting event.  It's literally 40 bucks a year.   Its the right to purchase tickets ahead of the crowd, a record, and a special gift.  I mean, Pearl Jam isn't going to go into the studio to record stuff exclusively for 10c fans every year.  Sometimes, its a cool bootleg.  Sometimes, its a cover song.  Sometimes, its some ranting and raving, etc. This time, its the first single off the new album, on record, along with an unnamed b-side.  

We just got news that not only did they drop a song unexpectedly, they also have a forthcoming album, and are starting their tour tonight. This also likely means that more shows will be on the way (Late this year, early next year) in support of the album. 

I get it, some people like the song, some don't.  It's totally ok to not like it, or whatever.  But the amount of whining is getting out of control.  

It's not like 10C members are the only ones that get to hear the 10C songs.   Lost Dogs was a release of a bunch of songs, some of which were previously 10C only.  Besides that...they are REALLY painfully easy to find on the internet. 

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    GM151575GM151575 Freehold, NJ Posts: 346
    I did not like it. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Let's relax for a moment.   We pay 40 bucks a year.  For a music band's fan club.  This is not a Country Club Membership.  This isn't season tickets to a sporting event.  It's literally 40 bucks a year.   Its the right to purchase tickets ahead of the crowd, a record, and a special gift.  I mean, Pearl Jam isn't going to go into the studio to record stuff exclusively for 10c fans every year.  Sometimes, its a cool bootleg.  Sometimes, its a cover song.  Sometimes, its some ranting and raving, etc. This time, its the first single off the new album, on record, along with an unnamed b-side.  

We just got news that not only did they drop a song unexpectedly, they also have a forthcoming album, and are starting their tour tonight. This also likely means that more shows will be on the way (Late this year, early next year) in support of the album. 

I get it, some people like the song, some don't.  It's totally ok to not like it, or whatever.  But the amount of whining is getting out of control.  

It's not like 10C members are the only ones that get to hear the 10C songs.   Lost Dogs was a release of a bunch of songs, some of which were previously 10C only.  Besides that...they are REALLY painfully easy to find on the internet. 

I think we can all make comments without being told to relax. I am quite relaxed. I just find some of this bands/management's practices, when it comes to their fan club, a little puzzling. I mean, it says right in the ten club member bio thing that the single is exclusive to fan club members. 

is it a massive deal? no. but all these little deals keep adding up. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    GM151575GM151575 Freehold, NJ Posts: 346
    mca47 said:
    Always excited for new stuff, but this is simply a terrible song.  I support the message but it’s painful to listen to.  Clunky lyrics, Ed sounds awful and musically it does nothing and goes nowhere.  
    I agree, it seems unfinished or a like demo, both in length and production
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,250
    And now you want me to breathe...
    And be so grateful...
    Ahhhhh, for the air that I need (haha)...
    Don't make me pitiful...
    And in the morning light...
    We're just the same you and me...
    Out on the go, send officials...
    Our propensity to breed...

The higher, the farther, the faster you fly...
    You may be rich, but you can't deny me...
    Got nothing, got nothing but the will to survive...
    You can't control, and you can't deny me...

Your lies are sick...
    They're sick and they're vile...
    You can't deny me...

Try and talk down to me...
    My mind it ain't so simple...
    Where's your vocabulary?..
    Your ignorance is sinful...

You plant your lying seeds...
    Watch as the roots take hold...
    The country you are now poisoning...
    Condition critical...

I know it's true, and you can't deny me...
    Got nothing, got nothing, you got nothing to hide...
    Little bullshit whore, and you can't deny me...

It's all so sick, and you can't deny me...

You can't deny me...
    You can't deny me...
    You don't defy me...
    You can't deny me...

You know you're sick, and you can't deny me...
    Got nothing, just nothing, you got something to hide...
    We see right through you, and you can't deny me...

Darkness, darkness, darkness and light...
    You can't deny me...
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:

I think we can all make comments without being told to relax. I am quite relaxed. I just find some of this bands/management's practices, when it comes to their fan club, a little puzzling. I mean, it says right in the ten club member bio thing that the single is exclusive to fan club members. 

Maybe the term "lets stop for a second" would have been better than relax.  
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    These lyrics aren't very good. :neutral: I like the part about the little bullshit whore, and the sinful ignorance, and the roots taking hold (unfortunately)... but I dunno.... overall, these are kind of meh lyrics. Plus, I'm not quite sure what is supposed to be getting denied. Does he mean that Trump can't deny what's being said about him? Or is Trump supposed to be denying him/us/whoever of something? If so, what? Just basic common sense, or...?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not quite sure what is supposed to be getting denied.
    A voice. An opposition. Resistance.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

• Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

whichever term/phrase you wish to use, my response would be the same. do some people get all worked up about these things? yes. but, by and large, most of us don't, we are merely confused by them. it seems that they have been minimizing the benefits of being in the club, and it all started shortly after they doubled the price of membership. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I've given it a few days and many listens. I like a lot of what's going on in the song. The guitar sounds and drum sounds are good, but it sounds pieced together and forced in parts. Can't really get into it. 
  • Options
    I think the message conveyed in the song is pretty straightforward: Anyone can't deny that the condition of our planet today is really critical.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    These lyrics aren't very good. :neutral: I like the part about the little bullshit whore, and the sinful ignorance, and the roots taking hold (unfortunately)... but I dunno.... overall, these are kind of meh lyrics. Plus, I'm not quite sure what is supposed to be getting denied. Does he mean that Trump can't deny what's being said about him? Or is Trump supposed to be denying him/us/whoever of something? If so, what? Just basic common sense, or...?
    my first thought was "you can't deny me" my rights. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    you can't deny me my rights
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    JimmyV said:
    Anybody know what the b-side is going to be?

No?

Then maybe we should pump the brakes on the disappointment and the claims that we missed out on a benefit.
    no, but you have to admit, they've never given us an annual single that was the first single off the next album. that's not exclusive to club members anymore. 
    Sure, but they have given us demos of songs that will appear on albums and live tracks which were available elsewhere. I think it's cool that we got it early and don't have to pay for it elsewhere. I like that this was unusual. And until we know what the b-side is and what the whole package will look like I do think claims that people didn't get something they paid for are premature.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

whichever term/phrase you wish to use, my response would be the same. do some people get all worked up about these things? yes. but, by and large, most of us don't, we are merely confused by them. it seems that they have been minimizing the benefits of being in the club, and it all started shortly after they doubled the price of membership. 
    Sure, and even if some people do get worked up, I figure that's their prerogative. Who are we to tell someone that they shouldn't get upset about not getting what they paid for?
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Then my message isn't for you. It's for those getting worked up. 

The 40 bucks, imo, is for the right to get tickets first. I get a record and t-shirt too? Thats gravy.

If they gave me a colored vinyl with Jeremy and Even Flow right now, I could not care less. I still get the rights to purchase tickets first, and a tshirt. And usually some other stuff. Like members only exclusive items. Oh and the deep mag.

I'm not seeing benefits being eroded.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Pap said:
    I think the message conveyed in the song is pretty straightforward: Anyone can't deny that the condition of our planet today is really critical.
    Not so straightforward at all IMO, judging by the other replies. This might be a language thing Pap. For it to mean what  you're saying, I think the line would have to be "You can't deny (it or that or this). "You can't deny me" would be a fairly odd way to say what your interpretation is, just grammatically. Also, I don't think that the song is about the condition of our planet at all. It seems to very specifically be about Trump. It's like Eddie is speaking directly to him.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

The 40 bucks, imo, is for the right to get tickets first. I get a record and t-shirt too? Thats gravy.

If they gave me a colored vinyl with Jeremy and Even Flow right now, I could not care less. I still get the rights to purchase tickets first, and a tshirt. And usually some other stuff. Like members only exclusive items. Oh and the deep mag.

And a free bootleg every year. Forgot about that. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    MP59559 said:

That’s fantastic that you’re OK with it. Doesn’t mean everyone feels the same way. It’s not a huge deal, and yes, tickets are the only reason I’m a member. But I don’t think it’s out of line to point out that this is still a benefit we pay for, and that it has always been an exclusive song for us. I'm guessing when they decided to kill two birds with one stone they were counting on a lot of members to brush it off like you did.
    I "brush it off" because I consider it a tiny benefit compared to the other benefits of being in the 10c. As noted, the song is available for purchase for $1. Should we demand $1 be refunded to our credit cards for this year?

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

It may feel like gravy to you, but it's still something that is promised by 10C as part of the payment. (FTR, I'm not getting worked up - I cancelled my analog membership 2 years ago so have no horse in this race ;) ). I do think the benefits are being somewhat eroded by making the annual single a non-exclusive release that can be bought for $0.99 on iTunes; from an objective point of view, I don't think that can be denied, technically. That you think the analog membership is still a good deal without that promise of an exclusive annual single included in the membership fee (or without it being provided within the membership year at all) is really neither here nor there.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    By planet, I don't mean only ecologically. I think that one could even imply that aspect too. I, for sure, do. I understand that is specifically directed to Trump and the US, but the things described are happening everywhere. I guess we could call it a universal song. In my opinion, it's like Eddie talking to somebody, or even directly to Trump. That's why he uses the first person pronoun "me" (objective case).
    Post edited by Pap on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

It may feel like gravy to you, but it's still something that is promised by 10C as part of the payment. (FTR, I'm not getting worked up - I cancelled my analog membership 2 years ago so have no horse in this race ;) ). I do think the benefits are being somewhat eroded by making the annual single a non-exclusive release that can be bought for $0.99 on iTunes; from an objective point of view, I don't think that can be denied, technically. That you think the analog membership is still a good deal without that promise of an exclusive annual single included in the membership fee (or without it being provided within the membership year at all) is really neither here nor there.
    You cant purchase a record for $0.99 on iTunes.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Vedd Hedd said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

I think you know what I mean? The single is supposed to be exclusive to 10C members, and this is not. The annual single is not supposed to be a song that was released to the general public long before it ever even makes it to the vinyl single. And that counts for the digital members too... they just get a download, and that is also supposed to be exclusive to the members.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    MP59559 said:
    MP59559 said:

I "brush it off" because I consider it a tiny benefit compared to the other benefits of being in the 10c. As noted, the song is available for purchase for $1. Should we demand $1 be refunded to our credit cards for this year?
    If you're so inclined. Knock yourself out. I think it's lame to have an essential member benefit greatly eroded, you've made it clear that it doesn't bother you. Rock on. 
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    Right, but at this point, we are basically talking about 1 99 cent song. The b-side will be "exclusive" ....whatever exclusive means in the internet age anyway.

Like i said before,  none of the 10c songs are actually exclusive.  The very fact we get a digital download at all is gravy. We used to just get the vinyls, and people complained that they had no way to listen to it.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    edited March 2018
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Right, but at this point, we are basically talking about 1 99 cent song. The b-side will be "exclusive" ....whatever exclusive means in the internet age anyway.

Like i said before,  none of the 10c songs are actually exclusive.  The very fact we get a digital download at all is gravy. We used to just get the vinyls, and people complained that they had no way to listen to it.

This is a great point. For years I gave my vinyls away because I had no turntable to play them on. The digital download really is a bonus.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

I think you know what I mean? The single is supposed to be exclusive to 10C members, and this is not. The annual single is not supposed to be a song that was released to the general public long before it ever even makes it to the vinyl single. And that counts for the digital members too... they just get a download, and that is also supposed to be exclusive to the members.
    Agree.
    Does any other band have a $40 membership fee? This is the only band I pay to be a member of, I've joined other because many are free. I have to believe $40 has got to be the most expensive membership out there. I wouldn't agree with you if it was $5 a year. But for $40, Yeah, you're right, there should be more thought and something exclusive as promised.
    Even just considering analog at $20, that's still pretty steep for a fanclub, and then to make your annual single the same thing that is $1 online?